Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Metrication posted:

There's still people on simtropolis crying about how it's 'not realistic enough' even after screenshots like that. 'WELL IT'S GOOD BUT IT'S NOT SC4 IS IT?'

I kinda see what they mean, but the quality of Skylines is increasing really rapidly. SC4 only became good after a major expansion and a mod that was almost as big as an expansion. This game is still raw in some ways, but give it a year or so and it will become way more polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The traffic's the best part of this game honestly, better AI with regards to lane management as well as finer control over roads would make the game a lot more fun, as well as more need to actually solve traffic problems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

The traffic's the best part of this game honestly, better AI with regards to lane management as well as finer control over roads would make the game a lot more fun, as well as more need to actually solve traffic problems.
You know your wish is a mod or two away, right?

I am probably approaching broken record status in the thread for both of the following statements, but I really really like the base traffic AI and road tools, and I hope they are kept similar instead of going down a Traffic++ rabbit hole. I would rather see the ability to throw traffic disasters at the existing system, like parades, sporting events, and stuff like that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is there a mod that allows me to easily see which way my traffic flows? I laid down a lot of one-way streets when I built my city originally, and it's kind of hard to tell if I'm not zoomed in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

You know your wish is a mod or two away, right?

I am probably approaching broken record status in the thread for both of the following statements, but I really really like the base traffic AI and road tools, and I hope they are kept similar instead of going down a Traffic++ rabbit hole. I would rather see the ability to throw traffic disasters at the existing system, like parades, sporting events, and stuff like that.

I'm using mods but they aren't exactly very smooth on the GUI side. Having to fiddle with every segment of every lane one at a time is monstrously tedious.

The AI is largely fine but its propensity for bunching up into one lane and merging like a loving lunatic by driving out in front of oncoming / faster traffic so that it stops (when it should be exactly the opposite) means things get gridlocked when they really shouldn't. Not to mention that traffic lights are the cause of more jams than they solve.

The game needs more compact road tools, stuff like filter lanes and being able to make more compact road formations would be very helpfui, proper sunken roads would also be useful as would general terraforming tools.

I just find that the main cause of problems in my cities isn't my road planning, it's the inability of the game to let me build roads close to each other and the mind-numbing stupidity of the traffic AI when it comes to using high capacity roads.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

ExtraNoise posted:

Right now at the top of my list are the Municipal Tower, the Smith Tower (for SimCity nostalgia nerds), the Washington Mutual Tower, Safeco Plaza, Fourth and Madison, and the Aspira building. I'd like to take a crack at the Space Needle as well. Even though one is already on the Workshop, I think I could do it better.

I approve of this list. Seattle has a lot of great architecture, although almost none of it has been built in the last decade or so. Just about everything going up in South Lake Union and now the Denny Triangle is just a damned abomination.

Only other one that could be fun just to troll people who aren't familiar with it: Rainier Tower. You know, just to see how many :psyduck: style comments you get on the workshop.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrSunshine posted:

Is there a mod that allows me to easily see which way my traffic flows? I laid down a lot of one-way streets when I built my city originally, and it's kind of hard to tell if I'm not zoomed in.

Search on the Workshop for a mod called One Way Street Arrows. Should be just what you're looking for!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Friction posted:

No, in near future cars fit in pockets.

Is there a Pokemon shaped like a car? Cause that would explain a lot. Cities Skylines is essentially Pokemon.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is there a Pokemon shaped like a car? Cause that would explain a lot. Cities Skylines is essentially Pokemon.

What a ridiculous notion!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

OwlFancier posted:

I'm using mods but they aren't exactly very smooth on the GUI side. Having to fiddle with every segment of every lane one at a time is monstrously tedious.

The AI is largely fine but its propensity for bunching up into one lane and merging like a loving lunatic by driving out in front of oncoming / faster traffic so that it stops (when it should be exactly the opposite) means things get gridlocked when they really shouldn't. Not to mention that traffic lights are the cause of more jams than they solve.

The game needs more compact road tools, stuff like filter lanes and being able to make more compact road formations would be very helpfui, proper sunken roads would also be useful as would general terraforming tools.

I just find that the main cause of problems in my cities isn't my road planning, it's the inability of the game to let me build roads close to each other and the mind-numbing stupidity of the traffic AI when it comes to using high capacity roads.

The game really needs at least cars that know how to merge lanes dynamically. Yeah I know it's not coming but it would slove so much. I don't really think this game is about difficulty and "winning the game" anyways, at least not for people who only play it for a bit, "win" it and move on. It's more like a software toy to build cities with. With that thought, it's highly annoying that the game in it's default state doesn't utilize high capacity roads properly and leads to less pretty looking and realistic city designs to solve problems that should not be.

I remember actually trying out a mod which did the lane merging stuff and it solved a whole lot, but I also remember it being quite buggy/problematic in some way. Was it improved AI?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Traffic++ has the improved AI and it's really good but people have complained it ruins your frame rate, which I've never really had a problem with.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, it's just that it can be computationally expensive to do that stuff, and CO probably shipped with a simpler (but less efficient) pathing model to keep the game accessible to as many PC setups as possible. Maybe they'll have another look at it the way they've increased some of the build limits in the latest patch.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
whoever makes those glittery red text GIFs just needs to make one that says "Don't Play War Thunder"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Orange Mage posted:

whoever makes those glittery red text GIFs just needs to make one that says "Don't Play War Thunder"

its me but this is the wrong thread :confused:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am not sure how I managed to do this. point still stands though :colbert:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Bad merges are usually indicative of a feature that would cause major weaving issues in real layouts. Cars piling into one lane are the very definition of a large scale layout issue. Traffic lights would solve problems if the AI ever had issues sharing an intersection, but as AI they don't, so you just need to take them as a balance to the faster roads and an in universe safety requirement.

You can make rudimentary filter lanes by turning a 4 lane road into a 6 lane road at the intersection.

Support for pretty sunken stuff would be pretty rad. I'm not sure what you're missing in compact features? The civic engineer spergs are already terrified of some of the compact angles you can cram into roads.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mister Adequate posted:

Search on the Workshop for a mod called One Way Street Arrows. Should be just what you're looking for!

Thank you!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, it's just that it can be computationally expensive to do that stuff, and CO probably shipped with a simpler (but less efficient) pathing model to keep the game accessible to as many PC setups as possible. Maybe they'll have another look at it the way they've increased some of the build limits in the latest patch.

CO's CEO has said on record that the traffic is working as designed for exactly that reason, that running an intelligent traffic simulation requires an excessively high-end computer, and she also said if mods fix it that's fine but CO is not going to change the default traffic model.

Whether you take her words at face value or instead suspect CO's just holding out a must-have traffic fix for a future DLC is up to you.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

I approve of this list. Seattle has a lot of great architecture, although almost none of it has been built in the last decade or so. Just about everything going up in South Lake Union and now the Denny Triangle is just a damned abomination.

Only other one that could be fun just to troll people who aren't familiar with it: Rainier Tower. You know, just to see how many :psyduck: style comments you get on the workshop.

Yes! Absolutely. I would also like to do the Metropolitan Park towers (the Sardine Cans) and the Seattle Public Library.

The Orange Mage posted:

This really is the truth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

Bad merges are usually indicative of a feature that would cause major weaving issues in real layouts. Cars piling into one lane are the very definition of a large scale layout issue. Traffic lights would solve problems if the AI ever had issues sharing an intersection, but as AI they don't, so you just need to take them as a balance to the faster roads and an in universe safety requirement.

You can make rudimentary filter lanes by turning a 4 lane road into a 6 lane road at the intersection.

Support for pretty sunken stuff would be pretty rad. I'm not sure what you're missing in compact features? The civic engineer spergs are already terrified of some of the compact angles you can cram into roads.

What is a layout that would cause weaving? Like that goddamn lower George Washington bridge that has like twenty feet between some onramps and offramps?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

Broadly I would like the option to have intersections which are not either enormous, or simple road X road connections. I live in a place where a lot of junctions have smaller filter lanes which allow people to make some turns without waiting for the lights. I'd also like to be able to merge coplanar roads together without having to come out and then back in again because roads can't merge without coming in at a steep angle, most of the motorway offramps I live near come off very gently from the main road then climb up next to the motorway to meet the secondary road, but you can't do gentle road splits or run roads very close to each other.

I would prefer it if building sharper turns simply made the speed limit lower. I also find that if I make say, a 3 lane highway with off/on ramps on one side, the AI all bunches up into the far lane and won't for love nor money use the other lanes, even though there's no reason why you can't. The 3 lane should have right of way and the on/off ramps should be a: smooth enough that traffic leaving the highway should not have to slow down on the highway and b: should be a lane you can totally drive down if the traffic's busy, like real life.

I guess part of my gripe with the traffic AI is that it's kind of psychic and doesn't understand right of way, see also: roundabouts stopping to let people on, which is super incorrect IRL.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Broadly I would like the option to have intersections which are not either enormous, or simple road X road connections. I live in a place where a lot of junctions have smaller filter lanes which allow people to make some turns without waiting for the lights. I'd also like to be able to merge coplanar roads together without having to come out and then back in again because roads can't merge without coming in at a steep angle, most of the motorway offramps I live near come off very gently from the main road then climb up next to the motorway to meet the secondary road, but you can't do gentle road splits or run roads very close to each other.

I would prefer it if building sharper turns simply made the speed limit lower. I also find that if I make say, a 3 lane highway with off/on ramps on one side, the AI all bunches up into the far lane and won't for love nor money use the other lanes, even though there's no reason why you can't. The 3 lane should have right of way and the on/off ramps should be a: smooth enough that traffic leaving the highway should not have to slow down on the highway and b: should be a lane you can totally drive down if the traffic's busy, like real life.

I guess part of my gripe with the traffic AI is that it's kind of psychic and doesn't understand right of way, see also: roundabouts stopping to let people on, which is super incorrect IRL.
I'm not about to claim its not a gamey work around for weird AI (but then so is real road design), but highways are a good example of somewhere you ultimately control the lane loading even if the game never tells you explicitly. The lane preferences on highways are sort of expanded on from regular roads "get in the lane I need at the next intersection." Cars will get in the far lane when they are an incredibly high number of exits between themselves and their exit. They will get in the middle lane a number of exits away, finally get into the local lane when they are several away. I think there's a bit of fuzz in both where the car will demand to merge, and how many exits its considering when it picks a lane (to an extreme where a car will never want to enter the far lane even if its going off map), to prevent loading up the far or local lane when it could maybe be normal.

So if the far lane is overloaded, it likely means it is overloaded with through traffic and you could do well by adding bypasses or express routes or a local service spur to spread out either where cars are getting on or off to get a healthy local->regional->local churn. Not 1:1 with real life, but I expect a regional set up giving you a loaded far lane in game wouldn't be the most pleasant thing to drive on in real life during rush hour.

It won't work as an excuse for everyone, but when I look at all the quirks of the route and car AI, I remind myself that its a good thing it is so predictable and handlable, because we are getting a lot of slack compared to how dumb real drivers are.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is a layout that would cause weaving? Like that goddamn lower George Washington bridge that has like twenty feet between some onramps and offramps?
In real life, anything that causes the path of travel of different routes to overlap in a small area. In game, it manifests as a result of the AI quirk mentioned above to really hate local lanes on highways: a car will demand to get into the center lane before the very next junction, maybe 2 if you're lucky, which can cause small slowdowns that can compound into a logjammed center lane if its happening often enough.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Weaving: Never put an offramp right after an onramp. Not even once.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Supraluminal posted:

Weaving: Never put an offramp right after an onramp. Not even once.

Coincidentally, this is why cloverleaf intersections are bad unless made really large. The ploppable one that comes with the game is almost the worst design imaginable for the AI.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I have clocked in about 100 hours since launch day and spent all of it expanding/refining a single city, which has just hit 250,000 people and has no real problems aside from looking like a mess:

With the exception of the industrial zones, there is very little in the way of large, single zoned areas, so managing the flow of traffic eventually became impossible. Almost every commercial building was abandoned due to a lack of goods at the 170,000 mark - mostly because the existing freight network was completely choked - so I built this:

All sea port and external rail traffic is forced here and it has direct road connections to all of my industry. Every tunnel portal against the tree line is a source of freight; the portals closest to the camera feed one or two freight terminals within the city. There are also a few switches (underground) to make the whole thing a bit more efficient.

This is the only piece of planned city-wide infrastructure. The subway system is a mess of lines that have been slowly expanded and stitched together, but it seems to do the job as it has about 20,000 weekly riders:

Anyway, it isn't all an urban nightmare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Impressive. How often does your fps go into the double digits?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Holy crap SuperTeeJay

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I'm wondering if any other asset editors could give me some thoughts? I was just wrapping up my textures today in preparation for releasing the Columbia Tower and I've encountered a bug:

You'll notice that even on windows that are "off", there are outlines of light. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas?

This guide seems to outline it happening, but in "transition areas" (what are those?) and only on lights that are below 128 in value. Mine are all above 128 that this bug is occurring on.

It looks almost as if the textures have been automatically scaled down, causing lower-than-128 pixels to generate on the map.

:(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Have you only looked at it in the asset editor up until now? If so, save that bitch and plop it into a city, and chances are it'll look just fine. For me the editor bugs out with lod textures displaying 100% illumination on everything all the time, so it seems CO need to get their patch on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm wondering if any other asset editors could give me some thoughts? I was just wrapping up my textures today in preparation for releasing the Columbia Tower and I've encountered a bug:

You'll notice that even on windows that are "off", there are outlines of light. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas?

This guide seems to outline it happening, but in "transition areas" (what are those?) and only on lights that are below 128 in value. Mine are all above 128 that this bug is occurring on.

It looks almost as if the textures have been automatically scaled down, causing lower-than-128 pixels to generate on the map.

:(

I've downloaded a few buildings like this. All the window frames glow and it looks awful, specially from a distance, they even glow during the day. No idea what the fix is but you're not alone.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The glow during the day thing is people being too dumb to figure out how to do an illumination map ([ask] me about doing this as a quick fix on my towers :downs:)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Koesj posted:

The glow during the day thing is people being too dumb to figure out how to do an illumination map ([ask] me about doing this as a quick fix on my towers :downs:)

The issue I'm having also causes the outlines to glow during the day. I haven't tried it outside of the editor yet, so I will give it a shot in a city.

The light bars around the top glow during the day, but that's simply because of a limitation of the way light maps work, and is working as intended.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Whoa.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I still hate the map editor :mad:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

After trying just about everything (using different sized maps, trying PNG-8 vs PNG-24 [PNG-8 is a good way to reduce overall file size]), using various values including trying ranges between 121 and 127: I think I've come up with a decent compromise using "always on" lights. It looks like window variations during the day and dim lights at night. Not ideal, but it was better than anything else I tried:

I'm baffled that CO didn't use a specular map that toggled on when "night" is activated on the building. Or at least included a single value on the spec range that would use this functionality.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

ExtraNoise posted:

After trying just about everything (using different sized maps, trying PNG-8 vs PNG-24 [PNG-8 is a good way to reduce overall file size]), using various values including trying ranges between 121 and 127: I think I've come up with a decent compromise using "always on" lights. It looks like window variations during the day and dim lights at night. Not ideal, but it was better than anything else I tried:

I'm baffled that CO didn't use a specular map that toggled on when "night" is activated on the building. Or at least included a single value on the spec range that would use this functionality.

What kind of ingame stats you were planning for this piece of awewsome?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Edit: Forget everything you saw here! A new version has been posted that fixes all the things:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=557430842&tscn=1447825656

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 18, 2015

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Great job, it looks awesome!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I moved my Steam library and all my Cities Skylines mods spontaneously uninstalled themselves and my saved games no longer work. I'm still subscribed to them all but they ain't in my install and I can't figure out how to force them to redownload.

e: Nevermind, validating my install and reloading the game a few times fixed it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Well my city isn't really big enough to support a 76 story modern steel and glass homage to the tower of Mordor but I just had to:

Kudos to Extra Noise!

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 19, 2015