Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Danger Mahoney posted:

What are some games with interesting and rewarding exploration? Big world, not randomly generated, actually interesting locations. Not counting Bethesda games, maybe shooting for a little lesser known.

STALKER (and its sequels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Are there any recent games similar to Majesty HD?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Well, Majesty 2 springs to mind, but I was unimpressed. There really aren't a lot of games where you can only motivate your units, not tell them what to do. Maybe one of the DwarfFortress types could count?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Unreal_One posted:

Well, Majesty 2 springs to mind, but I was unimpressed. There really aren't a lot of games where you can only motivate your units, not tell them what to do. Maybe one of the DwarfFortress types could count?

Yeah majesty 2 sucked compared to the first game. I was looking for something more polished than DF. Thanks for the suggestions though.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah majesty 2 sucked compared to the first game. I was looking for something more polished than DF. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Did you try Dungeon Keeper 2? DF is usually described as a hardcore version of that.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

The only thing I know of coming in this direction is That Which Sleeps, which is supposed to release a gameplay video this week. They have, however, missed every single other deadline they set for themselves, so YMMV.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've got a group of 5 of us on PC and we're looking for something to play together. We're not picky but there are some conditions: Fast FPS and similarly styled third person shooter games are out, can't be too hardware demanding, coop would be nice but realistically we're looking for a game people can drop in and out of because trying to schedule 5 adults with poo poo to do is not a thing that can happen.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not a Minecraft guy myself but this definitely sounds like a job for Minecraft.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Zigmidge posted:

I've got a group of 5 of us on PC and we're looking for something to play together. We're not picky but there are some conditions: Fast FPS and similarly styled third person shooter games are out, can't be too hardware demanding, coop would be nice but realistically we're looking for a game people can drop in and out of because trying to schedule 5 adults with poo poo to do is not a thing that can happen.

Terraria works for this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does Don't Starve Together support groups of five? It's even less system-intensive than Minecraft and requires less commitment.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It can do 6, so that's also a good choice.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Terraria and Don't Starve are great suggestions (we kaiboshed Minecraft), thank you! Keep 'em coming please, the more the better. Getting 5 adults to agree on a title is proving just as difficult.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zigmidge posted:

Terraria and Don't Starve are great suggestions (we kaiboshed Minecraft), thank you! Keep 'em coming please, the more the better. Getting 5 adults to agree on a title is proving just as difficult.

Pretty subjective to stuff that I like and wish I could get my friends to play, but:
  • AI War: Fleet Command - a fairly complex but customizable RTS co-op only. Long campaigns but supports drop-in drop-out.
  • Sir, You Are Being Hunted - slow FPS, you can elect to just play it cooperatively, very flexible map generator and enemy difficulty curve
  • Unreal Tournament 2004 - dial down the bots some, load your side with bots against bots on the other side, and it's pretty chilled out. The early UT series is actually pretty good at balancing against how good/bad you're doing.
  • Arma II or III - this was a mainstay w/ me and my friends for a long time. Once you get past the level editor it's pretty easy to generate simple missions that suit your tastes, but personally I got sick of the setting and clunkiness over time.
  • OpenTTD - it's free, but you have to have a certain personality type. Guess you could say the same about the others above, though.
  • Far Cry 2 - now this is a really subjective thing, but even though Far Cry 2 only supports very simple versus play, the map editor is an absolute marvel for simplicity and elegance and you could easily ignore the deathmatch style rules and use it as a game sandbox. Make race games, bunny-hop type stuff, or just generate a mountain range and see who can hang-glide the longest. Build a haunted house with "scares" where team A has weapons but team B agrees to use nothing but run away. A shame they didn't open this more to tinkering because the map editor is a joy to use.
  • Twitch night - have one player run a Twitch stream of a single player game and have everyone else kibitz.
  • Chess

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Garry's Mod: At base level it's a sandbox that you play around in and build what you want. Have to make your own fun, and you may or may not have to keep things a little simple depending on hardware. However, Garry's Mod gives you access to...
Garry's Mod mods: People have taken it upon themselves to create all kinds of game modes. Prop Hunt, Murder and Hide and Seek are all suitable for various people to come and go. Hide and Seek doesn't even require any shooting at all, just maneuvering in FPS mode.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm looking to get a vita game as a present for a friend. They like Japanese games, like Ni No Kuni and Dangan Ronpa. I don't know much about Japanese games, got any suggestions?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've played a bit of Space Engineers and Starmade and I am currently trying out Empyrion - Galactic Survival. Are there any other good / promising space survival games in the vein of you start on a planet and have to gather resources to craft a spaceship to get resources from asteroids and other planets to build bigger and better ships and space bases? I just have a lot of trouble with building ships from scratch creativity. I know that's the whole point of the three games I mentioned.

When I play modded minecraft, my base is 99% of the time an ugly hole in the ground or machines sprawling over the surface.

Edit:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It doesn't have quite the same focus, but have you tried Starbound?
I have 90 hours in Starbound, but it's still terrible. 360 hours in Terraria and uncountable in modded Minecraft. I'm just looking for something similar to Minecraft Galacticraft or the Minecraft Galactic Science / Space Astronomy modpacks that's not Minecraft and isn't one of the three games above. Probably an insurmountable quest.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 18, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ambaire posted:

I've played a bit of Space Engineers and Starmade and I am currently trying out Empyrion - Galactic Survival. Are there any other good / promising space survival games in the vein of you start on a planet and have to gather resources to craft a spaceship to get resources from asteroids and other planets to build bigger and better ships and space bases? I just have a lot of trouble with building ships from scratch creativity. I know that's the whole point of the three games I mentioned.

When I play modded minecraft, my base is 99% of the time an ugly hole in the ground or machines sprawling over the surface.

It doesn't have quite the same focus, but have you tried Starbound?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Empyrion is awesome. I haven't seen anything like it, but I've heard Space Engineers is similar in style to it. Plus they just added planets. 'm dumb and don't read posts.

As for me, I've been obsessed with maritime trading sims lately. Been playing Sunless Sea, Port Royale 2, and Patrician 3. I'm looking to explore this genre some more. Any suggestions? (Already own X3)

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

dylguy90 posted:

Empyrion is awesome. I haven't seen anything like it, but I've heard Space Engineers is similar in style to it. Plus they just added planets.

As for me, I've been obsessed with maritime trading sims lately. Been playing Sunless Sea, Port Royale 2, and Patrician 3. I'm looking to explore this genre some more. Any suggestions? (Already own X3)

Look for Ocean Trader, it's old and abandonware but it's pretty good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

dylguy90 posted:

Empyrion is awesome. I haven't seen anything like it, but I've heard Space Engineers is similar in style to it. Plus they just added planets.

If you want to explore the combat side of things, you might want to take a look at Naval Action. That's Age of Sail era ships, although I think you can maybe be a trader now in it. Alternatively, maybe you should try things like Grand Ages Medieval if trading is what you're looking for.

Snowy posted:

I'm looking to get a vita game as a present for a friend. They like Japanese games, like Ni No Kuni and Dangan Ronpa. I don't know much about Japanese games, got any suggestions?

Have they played Persona? Because Persona 4 Golden sounds perfect for them.

Ambaire posted:

It isn't space, but maybe you'd enjoy From the Depths. You're on a planet that's mostly water, and you build ships and aircraft and stations. There's also an actual reason to build things and gather resources other than just building bigger things: there are other factions on the planet and your job is to kill them all. They get progressively more advanced as the game goes on. The best thing about the game in my opinion has to be the fact that you can design everything in it, from the engines to the ammunition to your guns to the components of your missiles. But you don't have to do that complex stuff, you can just create things from the Steam Workshop. Alternatively, maybe Factorio, wherein you build a factory on an alien planet?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have they played Persona? Because Persona 4 Golden sounds perfect for them.

Actually I just found out that's one of his favorite games. But something else along those lines would be perfect!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Snowy posted:

Actually I just found out that's one of his favorite games. But something else along those lines would be perfect!

I don't know, maybe Fire Emblem?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Fire Emblem isn't on Vita though.

If they really like P4G, there's a spinoff rhythm game called Dancing All Night featuring the same characters.

A lot of the good games on Vita are actually PSP games and only available digitally like Trails in the Sky, so maybe consider buying a PSN card instead?

You can also check with the Anime Tits Zone Vita Thread where last I checked they were having a big dumb fight over Persona.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This probably isn't the right thread, but I haven't seen a "identify a game" thread so this seems close enough.

I'm trying remember what game a level is from and it's driving me nuts. It's from a shooter. I think it was semi linear but it might have been open world. it's fairly recent and came out in the past couple of years. You sneak into a place where some party/rave is going on by hitching a ride in the back of a truck. Then you sneak around behind the party and there is a bunch of hosed up stuff going on slavery/prostitution/torture or something like that...Then the bad guy finds you and you have to shoot your way out. I think it took place in a bunch of wooden shacks and you never actually enter the party.

Does this ring a bell?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

This probably isn't the right thread, but I haven't seen a "identify a game" thread so this seems close enough.

I'm trying remember what game a level is from and it's driving me nuts. It's from a shooter. I think it was semi linear but it might have been open world. it's fairly recent and came out in the past couple of years. You sneak into a place where some party/rave is going on by hitching a ride in the back of a truck. Then you sneak around behind the party and there is a bunch of hosed up stuff going on slavery/prostitution/torture or something like that...Then the bad guy finds you and you have to shoot your way out. I think it took place in a bunch of wooden shacks and you never actually enter the party.

Does this ring a bell?

Maybe Watch Dogs? There's a mission where you have to infiltrate a human trafficking ring and what your describing sounds a bit like that. Chip and Ironicus are currently doing an LP of that, and they already did that part. Here's a link if you wanna see if it matches your memory. Also do not play Watch Dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kooiPOm1Wtc

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Does this ring a bell?

Could be far cry 4, around the 7:40 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWx-3-ooiI

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

NESguerilla posted:

If it's not working out here, there's this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist but I want a game like Hammerfight.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist but I want a game like Hammerfight.
Weirdly enough, the damage you do in Mount and Blade is almost entirely based on momentum, which gives it a somewhat Hammerfight-esque focus on building up speed and angling your blows for maximum kinetic effect.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dylguy90 posted:

Empyrion is awesome. I haven't seen anything like it, but I've heard Space Engineers is similar in style to it. Plus they just added planets. 'm dumb and don't read posts.

The Anno series is a fantastic mash-up of ocean exploration, city building and trading sim. Anno 1404 is probably the best place to start. Anno 2070 and an expansion are the newest installments, which take place in a futuristic global warming scenario, above and underneath the ocean.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Weirdly enough, the damage you do in Mount and Blade is almost entirely based on momentum, which gives it a somewhat Hammerfight-esque focus on building up speed and angling your blows for maximum kinetic effect.

Yeah, but I can't hit a motherfucker's weapon so hard it flies off and kills another motherfucker.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I've been playing Kingdom on PC, it's a 2D side scrolling strategy game, where you create a settlement and then defend it at night. I've always loved games about defending settlements that you build up over time, like Stronghold. Are there any other games like this?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Brownie posted:

I've been playing Kingdom on PC, it's a 2D side scrolling strategy game, where you create a settlement and then defend it at night. I've always loved games about defending settlements that you build up over time, like Stronghold. Are there any other games like this?

My favorite in this broad area is Factorio.

Goon favorite Dwarf Fortress would fit too.

Then there's:
Gnomorio
other Dwarf-Fortress likes
XCOM has this to an extent
Xenonauts is basically XCOM with more base building, more men, and more fiddly bits
Possibly Don't Starve and its clones might scratch the same itch

If you don't mind older games, you'd probably love any of the Suikoden games. (My favorite is the second but I don't know how well the art has held up).

Fake edit: Fallout4 has a base building mechanic, but I'd personally recommend waiting for a sale and the inevitable host of essential fan patches.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

LLSix posted:

My favorite in this broad area is Factorio.

Goon favorite Dwarf Fortress would fit too.

Then there's:
Gnomorio
other Dwarf-Fortress likes
XCOM has this to an extent
Xenonauts is basically XCOM with more base building, more men, and more fiddly bits
Possibly Don't Starve and its clones might scratch the same itch

If you don't mind older games, you'd probably love any of the Suikoden games. (My favorite is the second but I don't know how well the art has held up).

Fake edit: Fallout4 has a base building mechanic, but I'd personally recommend waiting for a sale and the inevitable host of essential fan patches.

I looked into Factorio and it looks far too complicated for me given how much time I have to play video games nowadays. I actually own Gnomoria but I found it a little too tedious - I don't really want to manually be setting down different floor tiles in different rooms and that kind of stuff. I also found it to be a bit unintuitive at times, my supply chains would break down seemingly at random, with my gnomes not producing materials even though I set it to a high priority and had all the required materials. And then there was all the moving of dirt around during excavations... That was a long time ago though.

I will look into Dont Starve though as it might be exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks guys. It was far cry 4.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Brownie posted:

I looked into Factorio and it looks far too complicated for me given how much time I have to play video games nowadays. I actually own Gnomoria but I found it a little too tedious - I don't really want to manually be setting down different floor tiles in different rooms and that kind of stuff. I also found it to be a bit unintuitive at times, my supply chains would break down seemingly at random, with my gnomes not producing materials even though I set it to a high priority and had all the required materials. And then there was all the moving of dirt around during excavations... That was a long time ago though.

I will look into Dont Starve though as it might be exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Rimworld is also worth a look. It's entirely about base building and defense in SPAAACE. Lots of fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Brownie posted:

I hope you like Don't Starve!

This War of Mine may be what you are looking for.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 25, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LLSix posted:

The base building is fun but the defense mechanic is almost non existent. As you implied, I'm sure fans will eventually make something cool with it if Bethesda doesn't patch it in themselves.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
Any PC games similar to (open world action RPG where you can build your own character) Kingdoms of Amalur without the horrible FOV/camera angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Geektox posted:

Playing through Republic Commando again. Any other games that has cool tactical military combat stuff? Aside from X-Com and what not, looking for something a little more reactionary than a turn based game but not necessarily a shooter

Valkyria Chronicles is a alternate reality WW2 era turn based strategy game, but the turns are more active, there's real time movement, manual aiming of guns etc. It is turboanime though.