Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's comics (and films) like these that illustrate why DC is way better at dealing with class issues than Marvel ever could. "Money can't buy you happiness" is a notion that lost all meaning after Reagan/Thatcher's time in office, where the gulf between rich and poor became so endless that the idea of a working rich guy like Tony Stark is so far beyond the pale it may as well be set in a permanent time-loop fixed at 40 years ago. If a celebrity wants people to hear what they think, you can bet that there'll be an outlet willing to give them all the airtime they want.

I am not posting ironically. Eat the rich.

I don't even find the idea of Tony Stark being depressed objectionable, and he's absolutely right: there is always someone with a worse story (I remember playing one of the Marvel Alliance games and there's a part in a bar or something and I, as Ghost Rider, tried to talk to The Thing and he was all "I'm soooo ugly" and I'm thinking "Motherfucker I'm a burning skull" it was during that "self pitying Thing" time) so finding a sympathetic ear might take one or two tries but, hell, at the very least Captain America will ALWAYS listen. The problem here isn't with the basic idea but the fact that they're ignoring that his money absolutely makes him happier than a broke rear end hero facing the same problems. Compare and contrast his situation with Spider-Man before he became a mainstream hero and then a billionaire businessman (but not married, because who can relate to that??)

Archyduke posted:

I don't know, even though both companies lean hard on the trope of the virtuous rich guy helping the world with his largesse, I think Marvel's long-running love-affair with the idea of the relatable blue-collar supervillain makes their comics a lot more amenable to making meaningful statements about class. There have been so many Marvel stories since the 80's about guys with Armadillo suits or whatever being forced into crime by heartless economic factors that it's hard not to see that as one of the big ever-present struts that Marvel Logic is built on.

This could just be confirmation bias-- I don't read a lot of DC and am not as familiar with thier output from the 70s-80s-- but from what I know Marvel has also been more consistently interested in how heroes pay the rent, get food on the table, etc. For every comic where Tony Stark whips out a new flying car, there's another where Peter Parker has to pick between being Spider-Man or getting a paycheck he really needs. Even characters like Daredevil and She-Hulk, for all that they're usually shown as pretty well off, often feature in stories that hinge on their actual labor in ways that, say, Superman stories don't.
There's a Marvel villain that is just a hippo mutated into human-like mobility and intelligence who turned to a life of crime because she still needed to eat like a hippo but no longer got zoo privileges. This was resolved by getting her a job in construction. I understand that comics are basic black and white morality plays and getting into economics is boring and kinda pointless but there is a difference between looking at the realities of a situation and just brushing aside basic facts to force drama and try to force the reader to sympathize with your character. It'd be like if Stilt-Man was crying because he couldn't reach something on a high shelf and he brushed aside his stilts with "Stilts can't buy tallness :("
I honestly don't see why this makes people so mad (then I checked rap sheets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I don't even find the idea of Tony Stark being depressed objectionable, and he's absolutely right: there is always someone with a worse story (I remember playing one of the Marvel Alliance games and there's a part in a bar or something and I, as Ghost Rider, tried to talk to The Thing and he was all "I'm soooo ugly" and I'm thinking "Motherfucker I'm a burning skull" it was during that "self pitying Thing" time) so finding a sympathetic ear might take one or two tries but, hell, at the very least Captain America will ALWAYS listen. The problem here isn't with the basic idea but the fact that they're ignoring that his money absolutely makes him happier than a broke rear end hero facing the same problems. Compare and contrast his situation with Spider-Man before he became a mainstream hero and then a billionaire businessman (but not married, because who can relate to that??)

There's a Marvel villain that is just a hippo mutated into human-like mobility and intelligence who turned to a life of crime because she still needed to eat like a hippo but no longer got zoo privileges. This was resolved by getting her a job in construction. I understand that comics are basic black and white morality plays and getting into economics is boring and kinda pointless but there is a difference between looking at the realities of a situation and just brushing aside basic facts to force drama and try to force the reader to sympathize with your character. It'd be like if Stilt-Man was crying because he couldn't reach something on a high shelf and he brushed aside his stilts with "Stilts can't buy tallness :("

Nobody cares about the social ramifications of banter in a Bendis comic. Even fewer people care what you think about those ramifications. Yes, I am saying that fewer than zero people care about your opinion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Duke Igthorn posted:

The thing is Tony is a self loathing egomaniac. There is a reason why he drinks and it has to do with how he never feels that he is good enough. He also ruined all his friendships and at this point no one really wants anything to do with him. His money will not help him here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Duke Igthorn posted:

I mean I absolutely think getting into economics is worth doing in comics, but I also think that that pretty much has to happen-- within the idiom of superheroes at least-- as a morality play. In that regard I think its pretty rad that a hippo turned to crime because it was denied food and housing. It's better than nothing. or having a hippo that turned to crime because it was just an awful hippo to begin with. I don't think there will ever be an issue of Avengers West Coast or whatever that will make Gyorgy Lukacs rise from his grave with a big thumbs-up but I think having a fantasy space that acknowledges these things is better than having a fantasy space that doesn't. "Luke Cage Good, Roxxon Corporation Bad" is not the worst kind of black and white morality play to have out there.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing is Tony is a self loathing egomaniac. There is a reason why he drinks and it has to do with how he never feels that he is good enough. He also ruined all his friendships and at this point no one really wants anything to do with him. His money will not help him here.
But he is, without question, absolutely better off than someone with those problem but no money. No one ever said "Money solves all your problems" but that's what you're arguing against...

Archyduke posted:

I mean I absolutely think getting into economics is worth doing in comics, but I also think that that pretty much has to happen-- within the idiom of superheroes at least-- as a morality play. In that regard I think its pretty rad that a hippo turned to crime because it was denied food and housing. It's better than nothing. or having a hippo that turned to crime because it was just an awful hippo to begin with. I don't think there will ever be an issue of Avengers West Coast or whatever that will make Gyorgy Lukacs rise from his grave with a big thumbs-up but I think having a fantasy space that acknowledges these things is better than having a fantasy space that doesn't. "Luke Cage Good, Roxxon Corporation Bad" is not the worst kind of black and white morality play to have out there.
In the DC universe I remember that there was a character called "Aztec" and in his first appearance he came upon a mugging. Instead of beating the mugger up he simply paid him to go away. So there is plenty of room to acknowledge economic realities, I remember Rhino being homeless and depressed on Christmas, until Gray Hulk gave him a job as an elf in a mall, just recently there was a villain who kidnapped lesser villain's family to force them to do crimes to get him money. Of course it can be done badly like in Spider-Man 3 where Sandman was stealing to save his kid making it impossible to root for or against Spider-Man.

Of course then there's the problem of the writer's scope being so limited. In reality the gulf between "rich" and "poor" in a comic book universe would dwarf our real one because the rich can buy the ability to fly. Not to mention that Hulk just smashed a car that was someone's only way to get to work. It's like in the Left Behind books where the result of a nuke being dropped on Chicago was slightly worse traffic; the writer's can't wrap their head around how much this type of technology would actually change the world.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure all the words on this page are very interesting and worthy, but this is a Panels thread. If you're gonna post lots of words, pay the drat panel tax or take it to another thread.

Spider-Man and the X-men #6. The entire series has been a love letter to teachers. It's so drat chirpy and upbeat, but is not above gentle but loving ribbing of comics and tropes. Elliot Kalan loves comics, we love comics, let's have comics.

Buy Marvel Unlimited and read the drat comics first

Warning, out of context character growth happens here. Comics may be suitable for little people

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bobkatt013 posted:

Probably doesn't help that there's 3 other heroes currently as wealthy or even more than he is at the moment, that are not only more liked currently for various reasons, but are also way more generous with their money than Tony almost ever is, so it's not hard to see why the rest of the hero community isn't willing to put up with him anymore beyond the barest minimum, as there's people who are better at science, better at fighting, better at being the "Rich Man Sponsor", and aren't held down as much by a whole ton of baggage from being a massive dick multiple times in recent times(since sliding time means it's been 2-5 years at most since Civil War in universe), so really the question becomes at this point "Who Needs An Iron Man Anymore?" and at this point the answer seems to be that only Tony needs Iron Man anymore, rest of the world would probably be glad to be rid of him(when your popularity dips below Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Sunspot, you know you have problems)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Spider-Man and the X-Men was too beautiful for this world. Also the only worthwhile thing to come out of a X-Men comic in like two or three years. It's been dire.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Saoshyant posted:

Spider-Man and the X-Men was too beautiful for this world. Also the only worthwhile thing to come out of a X-Men comic in like two or three years. It's been dire.

Hopefully those kids don't get screwed over too badly by this whole "Terrigen Mists are killing Mutants" mess

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

drrockso20 posted:

Hopefully those kids don't get screwed over too badly by this whole "Terrigen Mists are killing Mutants" mess

They're sterile now, so there's that. But wouldn't normal humans still be able to have mutant children?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

They're sterile now, so there's that. But wouldn't normal humans still be able to have mutant children?

They'll handwave it that NO MORE MUTANTS took care of that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, until the writers get bored and someone does an X-gene virus bomb that reintroduces it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

drrockso20 posted:

Let me tell you about Generation X and how mutant kids get treated after their series end

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Due to the events tonight

Captain America 3

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Well, until the writers get bored and someone does an X-gene virus bomb that reintroduces it

Not likely to happen unless Fox decides they don't want the movie rights to X-Men anymore.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing is Tony is a self loathing egomaniac.

No.

The Thing is a rock man.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

hiddenriverninja posted:

poo poo, I just realized that would double down on the X-Men as a homosexuality allegory.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 14, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Idran posted:

Not likely to happen unless Fox decides they don't want the movie rights to X-Men anymore.

Yeah,they have 5 X-Men titles, plus Wolverine and Deadpool because Marvel Comics are trying to get rid of mutants.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah,they have 5 X-Men titles, plus Wolverine and Deadpool because Marvel Comics are trying to get rid of mutants.

Deadpool's not really a mutant, as the X-Men will be quick to mention, but your point stands regardless.

With no exaggeration or hyperbole: Spider-Man and the X-Men was one of the best comics I ever read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Deadpool's not really a mutant,

Fox studios would be quick to disagree with you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He isn't, though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He's a mutate, not a mutant! :can::respek::pseudo:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Fox studios would be quick to disagree with you.

You weren't talking about movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

And even if he was, I'm pretty sure the Deadpool movie is using the comic origin of him being experimented on by Weapon X.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love seeing all the :tinfoil: about marvel killing off xmen books. There's like 5 or 6 xmen books, and a gently caress ton of popular mutants spread around on teams.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chaos Hippy posted:

I threw him in with mutants because the theories about Marvel getting rid of mutants is generally based around the fact they don't have the movie rights.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 14, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Norns posted:

I love seeing all the :tinfoil: about marvel killing off xmen books. There's like 5 or 6 xmen books, and a gently caress ton of popular mutants spread around on teams.

And even if they are trying to keep the X books in their own corner for the most part, that's where they thrived anyways. People used to hate when they'd deal with the Avengers or other non mutants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm totally fine with the x-people interacting with the rest of the Marvel universe as long as no one is asking Captain America what he's done for the X-skinned people lately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Let me tell you about Generation X and how mutant kids get treated after their series end
To be fair, only like two or three Gen-X'ers have died. That's not really any worse than the New Mutants. Like 90% of the New X-Men kids were blown up unceremonially after being depowered.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair, only like two or three Gen-X'ers have died. That's not really any worse than the New Mutants. Like 90% of the New X-Men kids were blown up unceremonially after being depowered.

Are you counting the ones who got turned into lovely vampires?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I was convinced there had to be more, but it really was only Synch, Skin, and Mondo (who somehow managed to turn evil twice, because clones).

Not that Jono, Paige, Jubilee, and Penance/M/Penance/whatever had a great time of it between then and now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh my god that last page of Superman American Alien #1.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not saying they're going to die. I'm saying they're going to be scattered to the four winds of the Marvel U, left as carrion for other writers to kill, maim, depower, turn into vampires, clone, become villains, etc.

Like of the Gen X kids Skin, Synch and Mondo are dead, Jubilee is a vampire, and Chamber was depowered and on life support as he now has a huge empty hole where his vital organs would be. Monet was two people, then one person again. Penance is apparently nobody. Husk has done the best out of all of them, joining the X-Men, getting with Angel, but apparently she was being creepstalked by Toad who loving collected her discarded skin and then her powers started erasing her memories when she shed her skin.

Don't be a teenage mutant, christ.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chamber became an Apocalypse then became not an Apocalypse but back to his original powers and look after he was depowered, actually.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Travis343 posted:

Like of the Gen X kids Skin, Synch and Mondo are dead, Jubilee is a vampire, and Chamber was depowered and on life support as he now has a huge empty hole where his vital organs would be. Monet was two people, then one person again. Penance is apparently nobody. Husk has done the best out of all of them, joining the X-Men, getting with Angel, but apparently she was being creepstalked by Toad who loving collected her discarded skin and then her powers started erasing her memories when she shed her skin.

xmen.txt

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hey are we still talking about Iron Man? I've got some panels! Only they're less touching and more sad. But they're from one of my favorite stories so whatever. Tony Stark's on the run from the law because Norman Osborn's in charge of SHIELD HAMMER and is trying to get his hands on the Superhuman Registration Database and that can only lead to bad things. So Tony wipes it, but to really get rid of it, he has to get rid of the backups... in his head, because his brain is basically a big hard drive after Extremis (look, comic books, okay?). So he has to go to different giant repulsor stations he's stashed across the world, downgrading his armors along the way, because he's slowly retarding himself and can't work the more complicated ones.

For some reason him having to listen to the intro to electrical engineering tapes at the end just gets to me. Anyway I forget the issue number, it's from the World's Most Wanted arc of Fraction's Iron Man run.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TwoPair posted:

For some reason him having to listen to the intro to electrical engineering tapes at the end just gets to me. Anyway I forget the issue number, it's from the World's Most Wanted arc of Fraction's Iron Man run.

"Who's Happy?"

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
Justice Society of America did a pretty similar thing with their own super smart guy, Mr. Terrific (aka. Michael Holt), who'd been robbed of all his own knowledge through some unexplained process by a crazed fan of the original Mr. Terrific:

(Justice Society of America Vol.3 #52)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gummy Joe posted:

Justice Society of America did a pretty similar thing with their own super smart guy, Mr. Terrific (aka. Michael Holt), who'd been robbed of all his own knowledge through some unexplained process by a crazed fan of the original Mr. Terrific:

(Justice Society of America Vol.3 #52)

That's closer to the funny panels thread- there are literacy materials available that don't star talking animal cartoons. It really undercuts the message.