Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't mind the term so much as the negative connotations it receives. Filler episodes that don't materially advance the main plot can still be really good and provide interesting insight into the characters, add depth to the world, or simply be super fun. The Surfing Turn A episode of Try that people herald as one of the better fights in that series was purestrain filler through and through that had only a tangential relationship with the main plot.

A pie without filling would taste pretty bland!

Yeah, that's fair. I just dislike this idea of"it has to forward the plot or it's worthless" that seems to crop up when discussing anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The best episode of DBZ was filler that didn't appear in the manga. It was the one where Goku and Piccolo go to driving school.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Filler" is rarely filler. People just seem to not think of characterization or worldbuilding as plot development for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"Filler" is rarely filler. People just seem to not think of characterization or worldbuilding as plot development for some reason.

That's a good point; even if it's not plot pushing it can still reveal things. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex explicitly labeled its episodes as "Stand Alone" or "Complex" on the title card depending on whether or not they were advancing the main plot of the season, and I wouldn't consider any of the "Stand Alone" episodes filler.

I generally define a filler episode as one in which you don't learn anything new.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guess I shoulda wrote my post in the opposite order and said that more episodes wouldn't automatically make a bad thing good, lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think that filler is a term that can be useful in some cases but it's something that gets so bogged down that I feel the main reason to use it is when you're talking about episodes in an adaption where the purpose is to buy time for the source material, and thus nothing meaningful can possibly happen.

Doesn't always mean it's bad, but because of the nature of it, most studios don't bring their A game to it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

The best episode of DBZ was filler that didn't appear in the manga. It was the one where Goku and Piccolo go to driving school.

It was based on an issue/chapter cover if I recall correctly. I always liked the idea of them sitting around looking for filler, seeing Goku and piccolo driving cars and said, "Yeah. Let's do that."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Filler chat: I feel like the best use of filler that I've seen in anime was in the original Sailor Moon show, where it decompressed the manga by a TON and had a zillion episodes that were slice of life + bonus monster. It gave a lot of character to almost all of the main cast, and even the victim-of-the-week focused eps were charming in their own way. This did kill the pacing, but I think it made up for it with heart.

Meanwhile the reboot didn't use any filler at all, stuck to the manga exclusively, and the pacing was so fast it was hard to care about anything.

And - to bring this back to Gundam - that's kind of what I feel G-Reco did. It went as fast as it could, and in doing so lost some of the heart, denying the viewers a chance to really bond with the characters and learn to worry about them. One of the major mid-season reveals was just an "oh, okay" moment for me, because I wasn't as invested as I could have been. If we had more scenes like the marathon in space - well, I think G-Reco would have improved. The show didn't need to be 50 eps, but it could have used another 12 easily and overall would've been better.

And I say all of this as someone who enjoyed it immensely. You were good, G-Reco, but you could have been great.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What was the main reason Gundam was not popular on it's original run? I've reread Gundam Sousei but it just mentions "factors". Was there an oversaturation of robot shows for kids during that time?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's a Thunderbolt teaser now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZME_HbF0VI

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

What was the main reason Gundam was not popular on it's original run? I've reread Gundam Sousei but it just mentions "factors". Was there an oversaturation of robot shows for kids during that time?

I think it was just a case of it being weird and taking time to get going and other things getting more attention at the time. Part of Gundam's success was in the older markets and Gundam itself was marketed towards younger audiences with expectations of toy sales.

That is... much jazzier than I was expecting.

Though I suppose it makes sense considering.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 13, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Oh my god they're keeping the pirate jazz station! and non-CG Mobile Suits!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Oh my god they're keeping the pirate jazz station! and non-CG Mobile Suits!

i thought you maintained a strict no piracy policy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

i thought you maintained a strict no piracy policy

I stop reading scans if and when a manga gets licensed.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Yes, bring on my beautiful Jazz Gundam

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I stop reading scans if and when a manga gets licensed.

another one liner wasted

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:allears:

I hope the soundtrack is just jazz.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

It's early on so I remember it. My brain sort of deactivated later on in the show as everything got so tedious and boring.

I would re-watch it to refresh my memory but eh.

I think it's the episode where Garma Zabi is first introduced? And Amuro blacks out from flying at something like Mach 10 in the Core Booster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Uh, does Thunderbolt take place in space Harlem or something?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is literally not a single 50-episode Gundam series that doesn't have terrible pacing. Even if G-Reco got an extra 12 (which is already a huge increase over the current lineup) would be more than enough. It would be awful if they had to pad out the series to literally double its length.

Almost every Gundam series is more or less able to convey its plot within the running time of 3-4 movies. The ones that don't are more because the movies are poorly produced rather than an inherent lack of running runtime. More episodes are nice to flesh things out or give smaller characters more development for certain but 50+ is absurdly excessive for the plots Gundam tends to tell. The only one I can think of that really used 50 episodes was AGE and... it was AGE and effectively 3 smaller series smushed together.

Just as an aside: Vifam has really good pacing and constantly moves forward and is 48 episodes

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*throws a smoke bomb to escape*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Just as an aside: Vifam has really good pacing and constantly moves forward and is 48 episodes

There are absolutely shows that can do good at 48-50 episode (or even more), just not Gundam series or at least not so far.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

Uh, does Thunderbolt take place in space Harlem or something?

There's a pirate radio station broadcasting jazz in the Thunderbolt Zone

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

All future Gundam series will have their own genre of music. I can't wait for Tomino's next series with a Yoko Kanno soundtrack that's entirely reggae.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hathaway's Flash soundtrack to consist exclusively of ska.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaia Gear with didgeridoo accompaniment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Midjack posted:

Gaia Gear with didgeridoo accompaniment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPOj58fNwrA

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the setting for thunderbolt? Don't think I've heard of it before.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the setting for thunderbolt? Don't think I've heard of it before.

it takes place in a destroyed colony during the One Year War

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is Thunderbolt the one where everything has its joints covered to stop debris getting in them as fly around in space cos of all the wreckage and stuff?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I finally caved and bought the first two volumes of The Origin. These books are gorgeous but I wish they weren't 30 bucks a pop. I'm gonna finish them way too quick.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

EthanSteele posted:

Is Thunderbolt the one where everything has its joints covered to stop debris getting in them as fly around in space cos of all the wreckage and stuff?

yup

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Character art

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

10 episodes of Build Fighters down and it's still :krad:

Fights own, explosions and lasers everywhere. I'm glad the mom is trying to set the kids up, she seems cool.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think this is the first UC series that's actually shown the prosthetics that UC supposedly has

Lanz
May 30, 2013

muike posted:

i think this is the first UC series that's actually shown the prosthetics that UC supposedly has

0080 has that one arm, I think, but it's never actually attached to anyone, so don't know if that counts?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

What are the various continuities in the franchise right now? Droyer has those acronyms, but not a key for what they stand for.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

What are the various continuities in the franchise right now? Droyer has those acronyms, but not a key for what they stand for.

whoops, my bad.

Universal century

Future Century

After Colony

After War

Correct Century

Cosmic Era

Anno Domini

Advanced Generation

Post Disaster

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

rather than typing them all out: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Wiki:Timelines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Universal Century is the only one you really need to know since everything outside of it is an alternate universe that stands alone (Outside of the sequels with obvious sequel names, like SEED Destiny being a sequel to SEED or Build Fighters Try being a sequel to Build Fighters).