Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Do they build 3d renders or actual submarines? I can't tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They don't even have a nuclear-powered model? What a bunch of tryhards.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Xlorp posted:

Plans, the subject of the picture, rhymes with sans once you dump the serif
Sans pitié could passably translate as brutal, an appropriate description for some construction aesthetics

Overall an efficient punne, or play upon words

I said without internets gay, not doubling down on it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What, you don't mill your house out of a single block of aluminum?

The WiFi reception was terrible so I had to move to a home 3D printed out of laser-sintered gypsum.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

gvibes posted:

BEHOLD (I guess I was wrong about the pink)

I think the metal rod is half broken off - I think it originally tracked that grey line

This is amazing, and I love it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

They don't even have a nuclear-powered model? What a bunch of tryhards.

I'm concerned as to how I can get it out of Austria. They don't exactly have beaches near which I can sit on the deck with gold chains.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

They email you some rendering until enough checks clear that they can close the company and you never hear from them again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is that mounted by the floor, or the chair rail?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chair rail over brickface paneling.
/70s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think my bathroom has that same tile. Strangely, I don't think it will ever break my ankles like that stairway would have without that railing.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Could that have been retrofitted because people complained of a lack of handrail?

Its still dodgy if it is.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Depending on what kind of place that is they may have intended the blind stairs to be more of a sitting area. I assume that's how it gets used regardless, anyway.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

From what I remember, this is in the Bahamas. Which doesn't surprise me one bit, getting things done over there is nearly an exercise in futility. Let alone getting it done right.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My middle school had part of the stairs blocked off as a seating area, because students would be sitting there anyway. They got slapped on the fingers by the fire deparment though because you're not allowed to put an obstacle like that in the middle of an evacuation route.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I want to see people go up the right side then awkwardly come back down and go up the left side

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

MullardEL34 posted:

I recently became the Tenant of a 8400Sq. Ft. office building that served as the Headquarters of a Local NE Ohio Newspaper from the late 1870's to September of 2012. The oldest part of the building was built in 1858, by a Farrier that leased horses and wagons to the federal government for the Cleveland-Ravenna and Mentor-Ravenna mail routes. It did a short stint as a mortuary/funeral parlor in the early 1870's. The Ravenna Republican newspaper moved in the the late 1870's.

Things are coming along...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 16, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

MullardEL34 posted:

That was my favourite part of Half-Life

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The floor textures are not rendering correctly, man.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Manslaughter posted:

I want to see people go up the right side then awkwardly come back down and go up the left side

I like how they made the rail a raptor fence too, so you can't just duck under it. It's around the bottom or over the top

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MullardEL34 posted:

The inconsistent floor patterning is a crime against humanity that cries out for retribution.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The inconsistent floor patterning is a crime against humanity that cries out for retribution.

The more you look, the more texture mapping mistakes you see, they just keep going!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

The more you look, the more texture mapping mistakes you see, they just keep going!

All I see is a T-1000 camouflage fail.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Horses aren't quite as autistic as your average somethingawful goon, so I don't think they were too bothered.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
What's the problem? That's perfectly legal.

In Moldova, maybe.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, great, nice picture without any conte- wait, what's that brown turd-looking thing on the right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Has there ever been a time in the US where hardwood was used for studs, or where "soft" wood was significantly harder? At some point in the lifetime of my 110 year old house someone framed in a little workshop in the basement with 2x4 studs 4 foot on center and then 4x8 plywood attached to that. I was attaching some brackets to it and I had a hell of a time driving the screws in with my plug-in drill. The directions said to pre-drill the holes but I said "lol pine" and drove them in with no pilot. After the first bracket I went with predrilling (3/32 inch) and even with that I really had to press in and the drill bit got pretty hot. I also swear the drill shavings smelled the same as what oak smells like when you cut it.

Is it possible I have oak studs in my basement?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Older pine was much denser because it grew slower. They also tended to dice the entire tree up into whatever dimensional lumber was being made that day so you ended up with 2x4s made of even tougher heartwood.

Now the mills laser scan each trunk to optimize the cuts based on predicted market is prices for various dimensions of lumber. There's a bit of hushed background talk in the softwood lumber industry about the possibility that the new horticultural methods are making the trees grow too quickly and that the lumber may not meet strength standards as a result.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also, your 110 year old house may have been built out of whatever trees grow locally.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FISHMANPET posted:

Has there ever been a time in the US where hardwood was used for studs, or where "soft" wood was significantly harder? At some point in the lifetime of my 110 year old house someone framed in a little workshop in the basement with 2x4 studs 4 foot on center and then 4x8 plywood attached to that. I was attaching some brackets to it and I had a hell of a time driving the screws in with my plug-in drill. The directions said to pre-drill the holes but I said "lol pine" and drove them in with no pilot. After the first bracket I went with predrilling (3/32 inch) and even with that I really had to press in and the drill bit got pretty hot. I also swear the drill shavings smelled the same as what oak smells like when you cut it.

Is it possible I have oak studs in my basement?

Is it possible they used local woods in non standard sizes? Or it is just old pine that has held up well.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

There's a bit of hushed background talk in the softwood lumber industry about the possibility that the new horticultural methods are making the trees grow too quickly and that the lumber may not meet strength standards as a result.

That isn't just a possibility, it's almost a certainty. Half of the lumber we get in at the yard is checked down the middle from what I'm certain is growing them fast, and drying them fast. The other half is crooked. We had to try to switch suppliers because they couldn't send us any 2x12x8s that weren't 95% junk. You shouldn't be able to pick a piece of lumber out of a fresh pile, and have it break in two right off the bat.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Shifty Pony posted:

There's a bit of hushed background talk in the softwood lumber industry about the possibility that the new horticultural methods are making the trees grow too quickly and that the lumber may not meet strength standards as a result.

I think this is part of the reason the industry is looking to things like VersaLam for some applications where strength or straightness is of paramount concern. Of course, each stud costs like 3x as much, but they're great for framing out doors/windows or on corners.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
"Hardwood" and "Softwood" are distinguished by whether the tree is a Gymnosperm or Angiosperm. Many of the common hardwoods are harder than the common softwoods, but some softwoods (like Yew) are harder than most hardwoods, and the softest woods (such as Balsa) are hardwoods.

And as mentioned, old-growth and/or heartwood, or even just knots, can give you quite hard specimens from wood species that are typically soft.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder what future consequences there will be for using quick-grown trees as infrastructure?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Finger jointed studs seem like a great option for straighter lumber as well; I'm surprised they aren't easier to find.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zhentar posted:

Finger jointed studs seem like a great option for straighter lumber as well; I'm surprised they aren't easier to find.

They're incredibly straight and work well until you drive a nail/screw into the joint and the whole thing splits in half lengthwise.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Ha, that could be a bit of a down side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, great, nice picture without any conte- wait, what's that brown turd-looking thing on the right?

I'm pretty sure it's just backing paper for the plasterboard with a bit of plaster still stuck to it?

I think it's the wiring that's scary here...

E:

Magnus Praeda posted:

They're incredibly straight and work well until you drive a nail/screw into the joint and the whole thing splits in half lengthwise.

I don't think there's any particular reason that a well-made finger joint scarfed board would be more likely to split than a non-jointed one?