Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Where do you get this

random drops.

Kea posted:

Look at its competition, check out courser armor or look up a bit for my picture, it looks hilariously bad.

Literally just realised you meant where do you get the set, not where is he getting the idea its the best looking.

im talking about outer armor num nuts, not outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A friend of mine is having issues with the xaudio.dll causing the game to crash on startup. I looked and there's tons of people bitching but no one seems to have a solution.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

A friend of mine is having issues with the xaudio.dll causing the game to crash on startup. I looked and there's tons of people bitching but no one seems to have a solution.

Opt in to the beta patch.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jesus, with Ninja, Mister Sandman, and Deacon's friendship perk I feel like I'm cheating with this thing:

I have a 6.3x sneak attack multiplier with silenced weapons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kea posted:

Opt in to the beta patch.

Fixed it. She's very happy now.

How do I repair power armor parts? There isn't an option either at the armor crafting table or at the power armor stand.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wiseblood posted:

Jesus, with Ninja, Mister Sandman, and Deacon's friendship perk I feel like I'm cheating with this thing:

I have a 6.3x sneak attack multiplier with silenced weapons.
Might as well switch back to .308, or is .50 plentiful at your stage in the game?

twistedmentat posted:

How do I repair power armor parts? There isn't an option either at the armor crafting table or at the power armor stand.
From the power armor stand select the part and hit T.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shumagorath posted:

From the power armor stand select the part and hit T.

Ah I realized what was going on, I was entering the screen for the power armor its self rather than the stand.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Might as well switch back to .308, or is .50 plentiful at your stage in the game?

Merchants almost never have enough caps to buy all that I sell so I usually end up buying all their .50 ammo if they have any.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I found a huge tower out in the wastes, and after climbing to the top a bunch of raider's spawned at the bottom wondering who just trashed their camp. There was a circuit breaker at the top of the tower, so I threw it not thinking about what it would do. It sounded an alarm that immdeatly alerted the raiders to my presence. Awesome :geno:

But it also summoned two deathclaws that massacred the raiders while I bombarded them with missiles. The alpha deathclaws insta-gib move is really cool when its not being used on you!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
1. I don't want to be bogged down by crafting. Is it possible to get good loot without having to do a bunch of settlement building and/or modding?

2. Are sneak thief characters viable?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

.50 is ridiculously common. i have like 2000 rounds of it compared to the 200 i have of .44.

which makes it all the dumber that theres no base gun that uses .50, or a pistol/semi rifle that can rechamber to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish there was some indication of what level quests were, I went to Dunwich Borers and got wrecked. Even after going back and getting my power armor, I came back with nothing but the frame (hence needing to repair it), and that's not even going down inside.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Dunwich Borers was pretty loving hard, I made it through thanks to scoring a missile launcher early on but if you do you get a creepy poisonous cultist knife for your troubles!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I'm gonna need more wood and steel. A lot more.

Game is good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

1. I don't want to be bogged down by crafting. Is it possible to get good loot without having to do a bunch of settlement building and/or modding?

2. Are sneak thief characters viable?

Loot comes with random mods so it is conceivably possible to get by without crafting. Hell, you might even be able to install mods you can't normally make if you get one from scrap. Someone else will have to test that.

Sneaking is viable, thieving is eh. Lockpicking is certainly good. Pickpocket is ok if you can sneak up behind people, especially since you can nab power cores from dudes in power armor, which kicks them out of the suit but sneaking into melee seems hard. Just robbing people and stealing random things is meh, most people carry garbage.

Unrelated; I have come to the conclusion that I will not bother with this settlement bullshit again in future playthroughs unless I just get really bored or mods solve some issues. Unless you want to just listen to a very boring radio station basically all the time, it is incredibly easy to miss the warnings that your settlements are under attack. And so far if I don't show up to defend a settlement, it gets wrecked regardless of defense. Like I completely walled off a part of the sanctuary and stuck 4 turrets including 2 missile launcher ones, 2 mortars and armed the people at the guard posts with launchers and this is all posted at the only entrance through the wall. Nothing ever gets remotely close to the walls when I show up to defend. But if I miss the warning? Town wiped out, everyone non-essential dead, everything broken. Further, the minutemen radiant quests are timed. So if you pick one up on accident you basically have to stop what you are doing and go knock it out immediately or else bad poo poo happens... maybe? Other than failing the quest, I'm not sure there are any real repercussions. It's dumb either way. The only real value any given settlement has is that I plopped down 6 stores and now I don't have to do a bunch of warping around to unload goods. Which is nice, don't get me wrong. But it also took a huge perk investment on my part to get there since you need 6 cha, 2 in some cha perk and ranks in medic, cap collector, gun nut and armorer to unlock the top tier stalls. All the other settlements are doing is throwing random garbage into the workbench, which is only useful to build more settlement stuff. Also equipment mods I guess, but if I wasn't maintaining like 13 settlements right now, there wouldn't be any competition for materials anyway so the whole thing is moot.

Next time I'm telling Garvey to go gently caress himself and just buying the house in Diamond City.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 15, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chunkles posted:

Dunwich Borers was pretty loving hard, I made it through thanks to scoring a missile launcher early on but if you do you get a creepy poisonous cultist knife for your troubles!

Yea i fat manned the Raider Power Armor and he still had at least 40% of his heath, so gently caress that for now.

I could have sworn this game has a few songs written specifically for it because they're way too on the nose, especially Crawl out through the Fallout, but nope. Actual song from the early 60s. Written by the guy who wrote the Monster Mash.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How the hell are you having trouble defending settlements? Auto turrets just mow down anything that tries to invade. Plus I'm pretty sure if you jack a settlements defense rating up really high it will never even be attacked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Internet Kraken posted:

How the hell are you having trouble defending settlements? Auto turrets just mow down anything that tries to invade. Plus I'm pretty sure if you jack a settlements defense rating up really high it will never even be attacked.

Hah, yea I dropped 2 turrets at the entrance to sanctuary, and I just checked and there was about 5 dead raiders laying on the bridge. Also made Preston stand in the guard station.

Oh I like how you can just take food from the farms and no ones going to get mad at you. If you don't want to plant your own, Grey Gardens and the Slog have Corn and Multifruit needed to make starch.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not. That's the thing. Assaults on settlements seem to automatically succeed if I personally do not show up to defend them, regardless of defense level. Last night my sanctuary got wrecked despite the resource: defense ratio being 34:73 and me not needing to even do anything whenever I do show up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shumagorath posted:

Do the mines keep respawning at Starlight Drive-In or is that just some quickload weirdness? I had the bottlecap mine on the diner come back after I'd already claimed the workshop. Maybe I'll just wall those areas off from the settlers?

I am pretty sure a bathtub in the road in Sanctuary has respawned on me like three times.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Massasoit posted:

Piper starts having a deep, heartfelt conversation with me about her sister.

I look up to see this:

Great place to talk about your poor sister turning into a hardened wastelander...
What did she do to piss off the Persians so badly?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

The Insect Court posted:

There's a Dogmeat related bug in that quest(if it's the one I'm thinking about, the tracking one). Dogmeat will stick at Fort Hagen regardless of where you order him, but it can be fixed by simply entering the location and then exiting it apparently.

Pretty sure companions use up ammo for non-default equipped weapons, give him some cells.

So is that why I could never find him?

Where is that? I have not found it yet, but I want to grab Dogmeat again.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao Valentine you have weird priorities.

Somehow nailed the 4% chance to steal a BOS knight's power cores and he berates me. But is unphased by me executing her and stealing the suit.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

gently caress, perfect example of what I am talking about. Getting ready to set out and I am checking my map and I see Oberland is at 0 pop. Clear sign of an attack. Warp over there and nobody is dead but everything is broken and there are no enemy corpses anywhere. Which is pretty improbable given the number of turrets here. On the upside you might be able to ignore it. Tenpenny also got wrecked when I wasn't looking and by the time I got there they had repaired some stuff so maybe it isn't that big a deal.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 15, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is KLEO not a companion? I want a sassy assaultron murder friend.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I have trouble mostly due to suicider mutants. They take out the turrets, forcing me to rebuild them. Also, Curie loves jumping into my power armor and getting it all blasted to hell.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Red Rocket of all places keeps getting attacked by Super Mutants. Too bad it's my weapons lab and I have three HMG turrets and Strong hanging out there.

Just loaded up on mini nukes and missiles for the Swan pond; wish me luck.

twistedmentat posted:

Also made Preston stand in the guard station.
I can't get him to do this. Is it because I have outstanding quests with him / haven't joined the Minutemen?

Internet Kraken posted:

Probably to minimize what's already going to be a tide of fanfic.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 15, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

needs more robot companions imo.

i wish that I could have uploaded Curie into a sentry bot or assaultron robot. or even shove codsworth into another robot

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any mods that allow one to modify or use armour pieces with, well, armours that don't usually allow them?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Haha, a gang of raiders stopped attacking because one of them recognized Nick. This game is great.

What does Nick Love? He likes hacking, I know that much.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please make a mod that allows me to take all of my followers with me, I already rule an army, so why not take them on missions with me?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I think I'm gonna reroll. I'm not enjoying this game, but I made a charisma/intelligence scientist character and this game is ... a lot lot lot more combat-focused than FO3/NV. Like I wasn't expecting NV's thing where you can charisma your way through every quest, but I'm drat useless.

Breaking point was hacking a protectron and having it take out 2 of the 30 enemies in an area.

You can stick silencers on shotguns now, right? I think I'll make a build around that.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 15, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Turtlicious posted:

Please make a mod that allows me to take all of my followers with me, I already rule an army, so why not take them on missions with me?

Yea, I can't imagine not taking dog everywhere. The game should have been like NV were you get a human and a non-human companion. Though it was pretty much always ED-E and Boone or Veronica for me.

I think I should go to Diamond City at this point. I need somewhere else to buy ammo than just the diner.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This game has soo many coffee cups..but no coffee...

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
I got the ps4 version and am positively shocked it plays so well as a shooter. I'm on normal difficulty and haven't had the problems fallout 3 or nv had in terms of jankiness. Vats is also balanced quite nicely to be useful without being op.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Is there any easy way to find allies you've sent back to sanctuary?? I can't find cait!!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

At one point when I was using .50 extensively, I had like 700 rounds in my inventory. But since I sucked at stealth, it was only really used to take out enemies way up on buildings and stuff.

Edit: ^^^I'm honestly surprised they didn't just outright steal Obsidian's map marker system for buddies.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Did anybody ever figure out how to fix that weird bug where simplified LOD textures would still show up close up or whatever?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

I think I'm gonna reroll. I'm not enjoying this game, but I made a charisma/intelligence scientist character and this game is ... a lot lot lot more combat-focused than FO3/NV. Like I wasn't expecting NV's thing where you can charisma your way through every quest, but I'm drat useless.

Breaking point was hacking a protectron and having it take out 2 of the 30 enemies in an area.

You can stick silencers on shotguns now, right? I think I'll make a build around that.

The most important perks for being a shootmans are either in intelligence or require only a couple stat points to get. There is no reason to reroll for combat.

Also, where do people get the dumb idea that you could charm through quests in NV? There were a handful at best, shockingly similar to 3 actually. I say this having played Tale of Two wastelands to get hyped for 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

a cop posted:

Is there any easy way to find allies you've sent back to sanctuary?? I can't find cait!!

Load up a previous save where you had her, bring up the console and click on her. This should show a reference id in the middle of the screen. If you target her it should have (EP) or something like that after it. Once you've got her selected in the console, go back to the save where you lost her and then type moveto player in the console. If you don't have a previous save with her around you can google her reference id and then do prid <insert code here minus the bit in parenthesis) to target her.

• Locked thread