Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, but you can go from a crawl to a crouch. She'll spot you if you stand up. After you shoot, she'll think you're still where you were. So crawl to the other side and let her shoot/grenade where you were.

how do i go from crawl to crouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

how do i go from crawl to crouch
X again, unless it takes you straight back to standing. You'll also crouch if you press up against a box while crawling. I think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Technically 3 in the 3DS version.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

X again, unless it takes you straight back to standing. You'll also crouch if you press up against a box while crawling. I think.

ok that helped enough, also duh you can shoot out the spotlight

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

otacon telling me to use first person mode over and over made me think i was doing a lovely cover shooter thing against her, and i was doing ok with it but not ok enough

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm going to play 4 for the first time soon, as well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

otacon trying to use clever sayings like mei ling is really really funny

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

elf help book posted:

otacon trying to use clever sayings like mei ling is really really funny

Theres an easter egg if you keep saving

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm going to play 4 for the first time soon, as well.

hell yeah

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I played four for the first time during metal gear July and it is a Very Good Game. It definitely has a different feel after 1/2/3, even the intro is really bizarre

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
mgs4 intro is amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

mgs4 intro is amazing

There's a cool article about how it came to be that I read. I forget where I found it though

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

STarted up MGS1 for the first time. Only one I haven't played before. Think I died about 10 times at the Helipad area where you get the Socom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In Training posted:

There's a cool article about how it came to be that I read. I forget where I found it though

the live-action intro? that owns. pretty ehh on the title sequence though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Is it this one. It was a really cool intro

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/28/the-story-behind-metal-gear-solid-4-39-s-bizarre-intro.aspx

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it's this! Thank you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Obviously, elf and FAU...DONT click that link.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i clicked and watched all the videos

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao jesus christ. I want the workout program to be real. That poo poo is intense

MGS 1-4 is going to be a hell of a ride whenever I get off my rear end and buy a PS3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i clicked and watched all the videos

:eng99:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i already knew about the cooking show and i probably wouldnt have changed channels like that guy was worried about, so im glad i did

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

elf help book posted:

can i crouch walk

yes: with the box

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

I've played through the opening mission of MGSV like 6 times and I never skip a cutscene. It's so good.

The Man on Fire is badass.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah Bro posted:

STarted up MGS1 for the first time. Only one I haven't played before. Think I died about 10 times at the Helipad area where you get the Socom.

MGS1 is actually cool to do non-lethally/pure stealth because the CQC is fairly ineffective (it usually triggers an alert, at least for me) and there are no tranq. weapons. Make note of the guard positions.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

MGS1 is actually cool to do non-lethally/pure stealth because the CQC is fairly ineffective (it usually triggers an alert, at least for me) and there are no tranq. weapons. Make note of the guard positions.

i think this is what put me off going from 1 to 2, 2 starts you off in little boat hallways and with a tranq gun in your hand, but i was still in the mindset of avoiding vision cones in big rooms and not engaging enemies at all from 1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No holdup in MGS1 either.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

only yesterday did i discover that the brave soldiers who'll fake a holdup have been around since mgs 2 :pwn:

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think I tried and failed to choke every guard in the game so far. 90% of the time I'd just flip em straight into an alert. Just beat Rex. It's been a lot of fun.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I think I spend more time hanging off the edge of Rex than I do standing on top of it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please do t read my chrysalis thread op

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

frank.club posted:

I was trying to think of a serious reply to this post & when I looked up I had beaten the chrysalis fight in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

frank.club posted:

I already did but I only remember how easy the Chrysalis is, and how I will destroy it in a matter of seconds with my powerful new Dark Souls skills.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah Bro posted:

I think I tried and failed to choke every guard in the game so far. 90% of the time I'd just flip em straight into an alert. Just beat Rex. It's been a lot of fun.

Yeah you have to let go of the dpad completely or else you'll flip em, which can be tricky as the guys path around. I never got very good at the choke move

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah you have to let go of the dpad completely or else you'll flip em, which can be tricky as the guys path around. I never got very good at the choke move
Choking is basically how I got through all of MGS1 and 2, but almost never used it in 3.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

In Training posted:

I flipped a guard over a railing in the nuclear storage room while trying to choke him. That was one of only two times where flipping an enemy worked out in my favour.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah Bro posted:

I flipped a guard over a railing in the nuclear storage room while trying to choke him. That was one of only two times where flipping an enemy worked out in my favour.

it was the one in front of the elevator, wasn't it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

one of the first things I did in MGS2 when trying to get used to the camera/controls was roll towards a corner, hit a guard and flip him over the barrier to his death. This was the second guard I met in the game and I had been going for a non-lethal run

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

it was the one in front of the elevator, wasn't it

Yup! The only other time the flip worked was during the car chase sequence, where Meryl's looking for keys. Flipped a pursuing guard into the other two and they were stuck on their asses during that whole sequence til I could get in the car. I felt pretty skilled when I did that trick!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i went back to 2 and finished the tanker sequence and have a giant grin on my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

i went back to 2 and finished the tanker sequence and have a giant grin on my face
The Tanker is great, but holy poo poo the Plant is so amazing.

• Locked thread