Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have we forgotten the CA first-bike mantra of "do you want to ride or do you want to wrench?"

Usually it applies to older bikes where cheese-screws and instarust indicated solid quality in the 70s when they were built, but I think it applies just as well to a "newer" ninja that needs the carbs put back on.

In other words I think an overpriced runner with everything on it is less of a dumb idea than a project (any project) as a first bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Don't buy someones pile of parts as a first bike. I'm sure you can find a running ninja 250 for around $2,000. You'll learn more about riding and basic maintenance with a running bike.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but I definitely want something I can ride. I have enough half finished projects as it is.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

clutchpuck posted:

Have we forgotten the CA first-bike mantra of "do you want to ride or do you want to wrench?"

Usually it applies to older bikes where cheese-screws and instarust indicated solid quality in the 70s when they were built, but I think it applies just as well to a "newer" ninja that needs the carbs put back on.

In other words I think an overpriced runner with everything on it is less of a dumb idea than a project (any project) as a first bike.

I was about to ask who would be so loving stupid as to put carbs on a bike that came with EFI but then the bike modding crowd is often were nature makes her better idiots.

deoju posted:

Oh, so cafe racers are the hipsters of the bike world... Good to know.

Cafe racers were originally made by working class teenage Brits in the lat 40's and 50's who tried to screw every last bit of performance out of the only form of transport they could afford (besides shanks pony). It was all about form following function to eke out that last little bit of power or handling out of mediocre bikes on street races. Clip-ons? About getting your body position as aerodynamic as possible. Single seats with a layer of leather as padding? About getting your body position as aerodynamic as possible. As much effort was made to fiddle with the carbs, timings, suspension and brakes as to the looks of the thing.

Now we have people who have taken this quest for speed above all else and have turned it into the current trend of form above any sort of function when going from the garage to the driveway and back to the garage. Its even more sad than the Ewen McBorman's and power rangers as at least they ride their bikes for fun

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I was about to ask who would be so loving stupid as to put carbs on a bike that came with EFI but then the bike modding crowd is often were nature makes her better idiots.

Pre-2013 EX250s were all carbureted in the NA market as far as I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Cafe racers were originally made by working class teenage Brits in the lat 40's and 50's who tried to screw every last bit of performance out of the only form of transport they could afford (besides shanks pony). It was all about form following function to eke out that last little bit of power or handling out of mediocre bikes on street races. Clip-ons? About getting your body position as aerodynamic as possible. Single seats with a layer of leather as padding? About getting your body position as aerodynamic as possible. As much effort was made to fiddle with the carbs, timings, suspension and brakes as to the looks of the thing.

Now we have people who have taken this quest for speed above all else and have turned it into the current trend of form above any sort of function when going from the garage to the driveway and back to the garage. Its even more sad than the Ewen McBorman's and power rangers as at least they ride their bikes for fun

You forgot the part where they do all that then stick dirt tyres on them cause it looks all steampunky.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Gorson posted:

1. Drive to Eau Claire.

2. Buy this (offer him $300): http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/5294572941.html

3. Put it back together with the $2200 you are saving over the Madison one.

4. Buy me a beer!

I've talked to this guy a little about it. He doesn't know how many miles on it (aftermarket gauges) but being a 2006 it can't be that many. Absolute worst case scenario is you part it out for more than you bought it while learning a bunch of stuff in the process. I'm tempted myself but I already have 1 project bike, and zero running ones.

"Absolute worst case scenario" just stop there

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Pre-2013 EX250s were all carbureted in the NA market as far as I know.

All EX250s in NA. Kawasaki didn't start selling them with EFI here, they just replaced them with the EFI Ninja 300.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I need opinions, and I know you guys have lots to spare.

What do you think of this for a getting-up-in-years-but-not-decrepit fellow who likes to ride faster than his guardian angel can keep up sometimes but still wants something slightly responsible? (That luggage, mmm)

My riding experience is old enough to get its own license, so I'm not in that "New rider? Get something smaller" stage, but I haven't bought a bike in years. I could easily buy two of these at this price, but what do you think a fair for both of us offer would be on it? It looks pretty much immaculate, which is expected at 18k miles, but on the other hand 18k miles over 11 years...

Edit: Holy gently caress I cropped out the price. He's asking $4800

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I think you could find a 2004 for 1k less, at least.

Example - http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/5298028498.html

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dutymode posted:

I think you could find a 2004 for 1k less, at least.

Example - http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/5298028498.html

That example has none of the expensive OEM luggage either though, to be fair. Also I'm in Pittsburgh where my options are... sparse

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, but that's not $1,600 more.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I get it, you think it's overpriced. Pretend it's the same price as whatever you think is the perfect price in your head. Now what do you think about the bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are a good bike, it looks like a good example and if it's worth that amount to you, you should buy it. The clearances being done is a big plus (ask for receipts!).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

For the price range and description of the type of rider you are I would get a bandit 1250s w/ ABS. I had that generation VFR briefly and didn't like it that much (understatement). Lots of people like them, though.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5295266355.html

2015 CB300F for $3k - too much $$$?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Not sure about the price because I'm not US, but bear in mind the 300 needs a valve check at 1000 miles that'll be a little on the more expensive side (though cheaper than most because thumper). Frankly it looks new, so if that's a lot less than retail (I think at least 4K?) then it's a good deal.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

I need opinions, and I know you guys have lots to spare.

2004 would have been early VTEC years, which had a fairly abrupt transition when it hit. I rode one when I was shopping (before I bought the 5th gen) and it was weird, but I think I could have gotten used to it. They did smooth that stuff out in later 6th gens, but I don't know if you can do anything with the early ones. These will also have a cam belt/chain instead of the gear-driven setup to accomodate the VTEC. Parts are plentiful, and they are popular enough that there are lots of aftermarket options for bars, pegs, seats, etc. The VFRworld forum is a pretty good resource for just about anything you would need to know. People will also bitch about linked brakes, but while they are tedious to bleed they work fine. Engines are pretty much bulletproof, but they are a Honda - so budget for a new R/R and just change it before it burns the harness.

As for the price, I sold a '98 5th gen with twice the mileage, a single Givi case, and lot of other upgrades for $3300 about 4 months ago in the Boston area. Admittedly, it was to a guy who was specifically looking for a 5th gen to replace the one that he lost when his garage burned, and he recognized and appreciated the cost of the mods. That cost for a 6th gen may be a little high, but if he would come down to $4k as an off-season price I don't think it's too bad.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

That's stupid cheap, which is probably why it's gone already!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I hate to break your heart... but most of them don't even get ridden. They're shop built bikes designed to sell parts to slack jawed gawkers.
There ARE a few exceptions... (e.g. John Ryland) but even then they're usually more style focused than performance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What makes you guys more sad, a factory Harley or a Cafe'd Ninja?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

What makes you guys more sad, a factory Harley or a Cafe'd Ninja?

A buell is kind of a cafe'd harley.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Coydog posted:

A buell is kind of a cafe'd harley.

Someone brought a Street 750 in to the shop wanted it "cafe'd". Honestly I think it will look better than stock when we are done with it but it will still look like a turd.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Factory Harleys that haven't been blinged out aren't that bad IMO. Harleys tend to start out decentish then get shitted up.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought that VFR this morning and I love it. Smooth as silk, inexplicably doing 70 when I thought I was only going 40... We're going to be pals.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Factory Harleys are perfectly ok bikes. But there are none in the universe. Harley culture forbids them absolutely.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Z3n posted:

Solid bikes but tend to be on the expensive side for a new rider who might drop the bike. Extra good if they have ABS.

CB500-series bikes seem a little expensive new but they crater used and there are a good number of 2014's sitting around on showroom floors. ABS ones are really tricky to find used, though. (PS please make ABS mandatory on new bikes thanks.)

I've been really trying to avoid having to pay $7k+ for a brand new CB500XA but it's probably going to have to happen if I want it any time soon.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

CB500-series bikes seem a little expensive new but they crater used and there are a good number of 2014's sitting around on showroom floors. ABS ones are really tricky to find used, though. (PS please make ABS mandatory on new bikes thanks.)

I've been really trying to avoid having to pay $7k+ for a brand new CB500XA but it's probably going to have to happen if I want it any time soon.

I test rode the 500x, it was my favourite of the three. Really fun bike, great for commuting and almost supermoto esque.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm on a DRZ400SM right now and the CB500X feels like a DRZ that's comfortable on the highway and doesn't vibrate like a loving paint shaker. I want one so bad. :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm on a DRZ400SM right now and the CB500X feels like a DRZ that's comfortable on the highway and doesn't vibrate like a loving paint shaker. I want one so bad. :(

KTM 530 with supermoto wheels.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

(PS please make ABS mandatory on new bikes thanks.)

The EU has your back if you live in a civilised nation. Hopefully this will bring the price down even for those in the outer darkness.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the consensus on buying used bikes from MSF classes? I'm taking one next spring, and have never ridden before, so I'm starting to think about my first bike. My father in law is a Honda evangelist and apparently the local MSF classes cycle through 250cc Nighthawks and Rebels fairly frequently. Is it a safe bet that one of those would be a decent first bike? I'm looking for something that I can reasonably maintain myself, but that I don't have to sink a lot of work into before it's really rideable.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i wouldn't, those bikes get beat to poo poo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
And nobody should have to own a rebel.

It sounds like an EX250, CBR250, or GS500 is what you are looking for. They will be as manageable as those msf bikes, at a great price, and be reliable and cheap to own.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ausgoon here. Passed my learners yesterday and want to knw if i am a retard for wanting a 14 or 15 model Yamaha SR400. Are they actually good bikes? I am concerned about hipster tax but I love the styling and simplicity of them. Whatever I get needs to be LAMS approved.

I am test riding
this one tomorrow http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/OAG-AD-12098944/2014-Yamaha-SR400

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 16, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yes you're a gay hipster for buying a poo poo bike in this modern renaissance of starter bikes

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ok thanks

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

Ausgoon here. Passed my learners yesterday and want to knw if i am a retard for wanting a 14 or 15 model Yamaha SR400. Are they actually good bikes? I am concerned about hipster tax but I love the styling and simplicity of them. Whatever I get needs to be LAMS approved.

I am test riding
this one tomorrow http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/OAG-AD-12098944/2014-Yamaha-SR400

Yeah, holy poo poo dude, over eight grand for that bike is insane. Go ahead and test ride it if you want, but at least try some other/cheaper/mechanically superior LAMS bikes out for context before you buy it. There's a few great looking CB400's floating around Melbourne for less than that - way less in some cases - and they're king poo poo of naked, retro learner bikes.

Alternatively, buy a VTR250 for three grand and add all the hipster farkles you want.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 16, 2015

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

prukinski posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo dude, over eight grand for that bike is insane. Go ahead and test ride it if you want, but at least try some other/cheaper/mechanically superior LAMS bikes out for context before you buy it. There's a few great looking CB400's floating around Melbourne for less than that - way less in some cases - and they're king poo poo of naked, retro learner bikes.

Alternatively, buy a VTR250 for three grand and add all the hipster farkles you want.

Thanks for actual alternatives and not being an rear end in a top hat . Im totally new to this and still trying to figure it out. Yes its expensive, but so are all SR400s. I used to sell Land Rover Defenders and there is just something people liked about them despite how basic they are, I guess I have the same mentality. Ill check out some CB40s, anything else similar? Are GS500s worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

Thanks for actual alternatives and not being an rear end in a top hat . Im totally new to this and still trying to figure it out. Yes its expensive, but so are all SR400s. I used to sell Land Rover Defenders and there is just something people liked about them despite how basic they are, I guess I have the same mentality. Ill check out some CB40s, anything else similar? Are GS500s worth checking out?

Yeah, GS500s are fine. Also consider CB250s or - comedy option - small, naked inline 4 screamers like the Kawasaki Balius. We're pretty much the only place outside of Japan that got those, and there's something hysterical about riding a 250cc bike that redlines at 18,000rpm.

Honestly, just sit on everything you can that fits broadly within your aesthetic sensibilities for a few weeks before buying. It's not like that's a screaming deal on an SR400, so you've got time to play the field a little.

You might also want to try out some bikes that *aren't* up your alley, looks wise, but are great to learn on. Other posters are gonna dogpile you with advice on Ninja 250s or DRZ400SMs in a second and it's worth at least considering that advice. Both of those are ace starter bikes. Plus, Ninjas go for under $3k all day long.

Out of interest, how long are you gonna be on a restricted license for anyway? If you've had your car license long enough / you're old enough to only be on Ps for a year, I'd suggest buying any old shitbox for now and saving your pennies for a fancier poser bike later. The options for cafe racer style bikes open up a lot above 650ccs, and besides, who knows if you'll even like riding after the first few months or want to stick with hipster style bieks in the future.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 16, 2015