Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was like twenty years ago! but that multiplayer was the bomb.

Kasonic posted:

Lucas seems to be really good at coming up with the worst possible names off the top of his head

Negacreativity

i feel like Supreme Leader Snoke had to be in his notes when disney bought star wars because that's a p poo poo name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sheeeeeeeev

I think Lucas near the end was just actively loving with people

Sokoban
Feb 16, 2011

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Lucas was just actively loving with everyone

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was like twenty years ago! but that multiplayer was the bomb.

i feel like Supreme Leader Snoke had to be in his notes when disney bought star wars because that's a p poo poo name.

that is a poo poo name. it sounds like a lovely street drug.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So were death sticks weed or what?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Fw Fw Fw from Sheev: HUTT LACING DEATH STICKS WITH SPICE!!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hereby pledge myself to only play characters with similar names to Sheev in Star Wars RPGs

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

drunk asian neighbor posted:

This. If Rogue One ends up being "Top Gun but with X-wings" it will be unironically the best Star Wars movie.

But will it have a beach volleyball scene?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Star Wars doesn't have volleyball. Instead, the filmmakers have a variety of well-thought out alternatives from Star Wars' rich expanded universe:

quote:

Borgleball
Chin-Bret
Crashball
Football
Grav-ball
Greenputt
Gulliball
Hi-lo ball
Hoverball
Huttball
Lightball
Limmie
Mag-ball
Moopsball
Nega-ball
Net-ball
Nuna-ball
Phaseball
Scoopball
Scramball
Shockball
Slingball
Smashball
Speedball
Touchball
Wallball
Wegsphere
Wiffle
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ball_sports

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Well then I await sweaty men playing uh wiffle?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hi-lo ball, is that the game vinyl lens listeners challenge holodisks buyers to?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Oh bullshit you almost had with your

quote:

Gulliball was a very popular sport played on Naboo by the Gungans. Equipped with mallets made from zaela tree branches, Gungans batted around gullipuds in attempts to place them in specified goal areas. For some reason, the animals actually enjoyed being tossed around.

oh well nevermind

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

oh well nevermind

goddamnit

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

oh well nevermind

oh my god

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Poz my nega-ball hole.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cthulu Carl posted:

Poz my nega-ball hole.

Rename thread

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oh well nevermind

you know whats worse. its from this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_I_Adventures_10:_Festival_of_Warriors. a book for maybe 5 year olds. some fat loving nerd thought that this book needed to be cataloged and its parts and story put into canon. also there is a series of these books and they are all cataloged.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

So were death sticks weed or what?

Sherm

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In his book on the New Hollywood movement of the 1970s, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls, Peter Biskind makes a pretty convincing case that Lucas may be on the spectrum. Apparently he'd refuse to talk to people or make eye contact, so meetings had to be heavily prompted by Francis Ford Coppola. When makiing THX-1138, Lucas spent months and months obbessively re-editing the film, until Coppola had to basically take the work print so they could have test screenings. The script for Star Wars became a denser and denser work of background lore with each draft.

Originally Lucas wanted to title the first film 'Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars' but was convinced to change it to A New Hope.

(American Graffti and THX-1138 are still great movies, so the guy at least directed three really, really good films).

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 16, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OldMemes posted:

In his book on the New Hollywood movement of the 1970s, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls, Peter Biskind makes a pretty convincing case that Lucas may be on the spectrum. Apparently he's refuse to talk to people or make eye contact, so meetings had to be heavily prompted by Francis Ford Coppola. When makiing THX-1138, Lucas spent months and months obbessively reediting the film, until Coppola had to basically take the work print so they could have test screenings. The script for Star Wars became a denser and denser work of background lore with each draft.

Originally Lucas wanted to title the first film 'Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars' but was convinced to change it to A New Hope.

(American Graffti and THX-1138 are still great movies, so the guy at least directed three really, really good films).

oh i can believe that he is on the spectrum. also the more i learn about how loving crappy new hope could have been is fascinating. I am sure alot of the old drafts read like something out of deviant art. it sounds like his first wife was the one who kept his poo poo edited.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you know whats worse. its from this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_I_Adventures_10:_Festival_of_Warriors. a book for maybe 5 year olds. some fat loving nerd thought that this book needed to be cataloged and its parts and story put into canon. also there is a series of these books and they are all cataloged.

I read these as a kid, they were actually part of a Scholastic monthly thing. The whole thing is basically Jar Jar loving up in increasingly terrible ways as an explanation for his exile from bubble world. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Gullipuds are adorable though. Terryl Whitlatch does some great alien creatures.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

how bad was the last Star Trek
I liked Star Trek 2009 but kind of as a theme park ride kind of deal, where a lot of the plot was pretty stupid and the characters were kinda thin despite being entertaining
Was the last one like that or was it not even that good.

Now imagine that one of the people responsible is developing a new Star Trek TV series.

:ughh:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

Gullipuds are adorable though. Terryl Whitlatch does some great alien creatures.

Dawww :3:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

William Bear posted:

Star Wars doesn't have volleyball. Instead, the filmmakers have a variety of well-thought out alternatives from Star Wars' rich expanded universe:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ball_sports

Huttball is pretty cool.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars" is an insanely good title.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Touchball

I know a better way to play Touchball. :gay:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I am off and on watching the Clone Wars Netflix show and this episode is about the happy adventures of younglings who go on to get murked by Anakin. :smith:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Anakin going from a guy expecting a kid and saying the Emperor needs arrested to childkiller and high traitor in like two hours is pretty bad!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Syncopated posted:

Dark Forces III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

Star Wars: Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight IV: Jedi Outcast III: Jedi Academy II: Kyle Katarn is Not Canon

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just realized that I can't remember a single goddamn thing about I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole. I know for a fact that I owned it in hardcover and therefore I am led to the conclusion that it was the single worst Star Wars book I ever read, so bad that I blocked it out completely.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I just realized that I can't remember a single goddamn thing about I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole. I know for a fact that I owned it in hardcover and therefore I am led to the conclusion that it was the single worst Star Wars book I ever read, so bad that I blocked it out completely.

Half the book is about Stackpole's self-insert Corran Horn becoming Luke's most important apprentice and revealing that he was actually behind the scenes saving the day during the events of the Jedi Academy trilogy (and retconning a bunch of poo poo that I don't remember).

The second half of the book is about Corran Horn going undercover as a mercenary working for a space pirate queen who's super hot and wants to gently caress him senseless. I don't remember if/how the two plots are connected.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Everything in SW is connected. It's a galaxy-wide cross-section of civilizations and theres only like 18 characters and they all know eachother.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It's connected in that moff sex pot (which my phone autocorrectef to muff sex pot. ...) kidnaps his wife so he goes to jedi school to be a better jedi to save wife.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"Hold on honey, let me train for a few months instead of asking my extremely powerful friends to just go with me and rescue you now."

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tender Bender posted:

Half the book is about Stackpole's self-insert Corran Horn becoming Luke's most important apprentice and revealing that he was actually behind the scenes saving the day during the events of the Jedi Academy trilogy (and retconning a bunch of poo poo that I don't remember).

The second half of the book is about Corran Horn going undercover as a mercenary working for a space pirate queen who's super hot and wants to gently caress him senseless. I don't remember if/how the two plots are connected.

Part 1 of I, Jedi is about retconning the spectacularly lovely Jedi Academy books by Kevin J. Anderson. It owns because that whole section of the book reads like a giant "gently caress you, you're an idiot hack" to KJA.

Part 2 has Corran Horn going undercover as a mercenary working for a pirate gang working for an Imperial governor who's super hot and wants to gently caress him senseless, but he's not interested because that bitch kidnapped his wife, so he becomes a badass vigilante who wages psychological warfare against all his pirate buddies in secret and lets them all think there's a vengeful Jedi who's going to murder them all in their sleep.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's connected in that moff sex pot (which my phone autocorrectef to muff sex pot. ...) kidnaps his wife so he goes to jedi school to be a better jedi to save wife.

This sounds kind of like like the plot of Taken, except Liam Neeson is like an office supply wholesaler and the whole first act is him getting a crash course in MMA and tradecraft.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zoran posted:

Part 1 of I, Jedi is about retconning the spectacularly lovely Jedi Academy books by Kevin J. Anderson. It owns because that whole section of the book reads like a giant "gently caress you, you're an idiot hack" to KJA.

Part 2 has Corran Horn going undercover as a mercenary working for a pirate gang working for an Imperial governor who's super hot and wants to gently caress him senseless, but he's not interested because that bitch kidnapped his wife, so he becomes a badass vigilante who wages psychological warfare against all his pirate buddies in secret and lets them all think there's a vengeful Jedi who's going to murder them all in their sleep.

Which, to be fair, wasn't as horrible as either the Jedi academy books or the worse parts of the stackpole xwing books. Corran seeing his grandfather was kinda neat, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are there any lightsaber-type weapons like light axes or light spears or even a lightsaber on a chain?

• Locked thread