Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I knew it was coming but I didn't expect flying magitek armor this patch. They also added a random flying mount button.

That is my Diadem story, thank you for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I don't know if I know a single game is existence that is like that currently.

Black desert was supposed to be like that but guess what happened during the betas

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a good write-up on changes to crafting/gathering post 3.1 compared to HW release? Red scrips for crafting are easier to get now, or give more? Gathering favors somehow are less awful? Diadem lets you gather something useful in silver chests?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

friend of mine is trying to sign up for excalibur. When is it typically open nowadays?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

nuru posted:

Is there a good write-up on changes to crafting/gathering post 3.1 compared to HW release? Red scrips for crafting are easier to get now, or give more? Gathering favors somehow are less awful? Diadem lets you gather something useful in silver chests?

There is now! Major changes:

1. Red scrip rewards for gather/craft have been buffed. Gatherer has been buffed twice to roughly twice as much per turn-in then when they first appeared on the scene. Right now grabbing 6 items every half hour nets you ~90 red scrips, which is 2.5 hours worth of gathering for a week. Going for legendary nodes as well gets it done even faster. Craft has also been buffed, but it's still a lot of crafts for anyone who doesn't have access to CRP, ALC, or BSM, which are providing the most bang for the buck still.

2. Favors have been changed to be less soul-crushing. Where in the past they gave you a 15 minute buff with a low chance of finding concealed points, they tripled the chance of finding the point and reduced the buff to 5 minutes. In practice you get exactly the same number of items from a set of 5 favors but it takes only 25 minutes to go through them all as opposed to 75.

3. Favor turn-in rewards have been tripled. The original formula was, for example:

10 Red Ooid + 10 Wyvern's Wart = 5 purified coke -> crafts to 1 adaman ingot

And you would need 3-4 of the final product to actually craft a 2-star item. Now you get 15 cokes to craft 3 ingots out of a single 10-set. Applies for all the possible turn ins.

4. The interim materials, like purified coke, can now also be gotten directly from law tome turn-ins. However the law prices are pretty prohibitive. It's something like 9000 law for a single crafted material. This is likely supposed to be more of a supplement and also to drive MB prices down.

5. More usefully you can go into Diadem on a gatherer, pick up steel pirate spoils from Doing Gatherer Things, and trade them in for ooids or botanist items instead of having to use favors. Whether diadem gathering is faster or less tedious then favor spam, I have no idea. In practice it will probably serve the same as the law option.

6. They added in a new crafted 2-stars for all crafting jobs (although anyone who can't make armor got shafted in terms of number of recipes), but none of these new recipes need any of the materials you would need red scrips for. Instead they take items crafted from Diadem stuff, which is really easy to get. This completely invalidates the previous crafted battle stuff, making only the Master pieces for crafter jobs the ones that really require red scrips.

Finally, the big question: what can you DO with all this stuff? Well, there's new armor sets for all jobs which look pretty good and are selling reasonably well for glamour enthusiasts. There are new furnishings. Getting all your crafter jobs sorted out with crafted pieces is now within the effort range of more people. The next big crafting update will be 3.2 because of the raised iLvl and no one knows yet how that'll pan out.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Agent355 posted:

friend of mine is trying to sign up for excalibur. When is it typically open nowadays?

Usually between 2AM and 6AM EST is the peak time for new characters to rush the server.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Chyea posted:

Diadem is not poo poo because of the gear, the gear is likely going to be irrevelant next patch because a) whatever story mode Alexander2 is will likely drop 220 or even 230 gear and b) new crafted gear with proper melds will likely exceed all but the best rolled Diadem gear.

Diadem is loving AWFUL if you want to get anything combat related done at a decent pace, you sit in one spot pressing 1-2-3, occasionally rolling greed on disappointing items. And even if you choose not go to the zerg and "chill with my pals", there's nothing engaging about fighting the HP sponges that are the trash in the area only to eventually, after much toil, spawn a single NM that you likely couldn't even 8 man before the lock out finishes.

It's lazy, it's boring, it's not enjoyable content. There are dozens of easy and simple fixes to make Diadem more enjoyable that don't involve messing with whatever SE thinks the item progression should be like.

Having done Diadem twice, I would agree that it is hideously boring. They probably made things have so much HP because they waned multiple groups to be able to claim credit, but they might as well just give everyone 100% credit for everything in the zone and just drop the HP values in half or something. And ideally make the fights more interesting while they were doing so. It's not like there's any actual element of competition anyways as the Diadem presently plays out, so why even have the credit not always shared in the first place?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This... this is what gpose was made for. (source)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kwyndig posted:

Nope, they couldn't put it into MSR because it's not a full party duty, and for some reason they didn't put it in 60 either.

This makes me sad because ARF is fun

Vil posted:

There are definitely merits to having multiple roles leveled. (Relatively new players who haven't yet had the opportunity aside, of course.) Besides the obvious option of "play whatever gets you the fastest queue, even if the apocalypse is nigh due to that being DPS" (even if it means you're stuck with greed rolls), it also gives you insight into mechanical things others had to deal with.

For example, back near launch I knew a moderately wiggly paladin. He then started leveling dragoon. Not only did he stop unnecessary wiggling, but he even apologized to me (I was a monk, at the time) retroactively for how annoying it had been.

See also: healers knowing how to cleanse after various deaths or annoyances due to not being cleansed as DPS, tanks remembering to pop cooldowns and keep their leftside gear updated after playing as healers through dungeons with squishy tanks, healers appreciating the merits of Cleric Stance from clear speed differences they saw as tank/DPS, tanks learning other tanks' tricks for speed runs (and also learning that what may seem like a good idea as a tank will have your melee DPS and healer swearing at you), DPS knowing that being too lovely at avoiding avoidable damage will get them onto the healer's poo poo list after having been a healer propping up a can't-be-hosed-to-dodge DPS too many times, etc.

My propensity to dodge poo poo is related closely to how dangerous it is, since I play BLM and dodging is a direct dps loss. If a hit can be expected to take off less than half of my hp and not give me a debuff of some sort I'm going to think pretty hard about just eating it with the exception of a few spots where there is or will be high healing pressure.

This is especially true for trash pulls where the choice is between me dropping a cycle or the healer needing to stop dpsing for a cycle to heal. There are very few mechanics in dungeons or even most trials where not being fully topped up will result in a wipe so I don't sweat it most of the time. Some healers seem to lose their minds when not everyone is fully topped up so if the guy or gal looks like he's struggling then I'll dodge more.

Also everyone keeps mentioning NMs in the context of Diadem, what are NMs?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mordiceius posted:

I don't know if I know a single game is existence that is like that currently.

EVE

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Precisely. I think Archage might be similar but never played it.

It doesn't have to be as cut throat as EvE. Maybe something more like Star Wars Galaxies with the ability to build our own homesteads. But there's already a housing system in this game, and the vision of what I want doesn't really fit in with the WoW/FFXIV style.

FFXIV is theme park style which means the stuff you can do is usually pretty tightly constructed and fun the first time, but there's little opportunity for emergent gameplay, so the endgame comes down to riding the same theme park rides over and over.

And that's okay, but it just means I'll probably wait for the next expansion to come back.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have never touched anything PvP in this game. If I want to try it for some easy eso (as SCH or WHM, most likely SCH) what should I be doing? I remember hearing somewhere that I need full VIT rightsides, and to have Eos out for whispering dawn on demand.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
That new blonde pirate chick is pretty cute. That's all I'm contributing at this time. Thanks for reading!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Meiteron posted:

5. More usefully you can go into Diadem on a gatherer, pick up steel pirate spoils from Doing Gatherer Things, and trade them in for ooids or botanist items instead of having to use favors. Whether diadem gathering is faster or less tedious then favor spam, I have no idea. In practice it will probably serve the same as the law option.

the silver gathering chests also drop a single crafting material, but they're pretty rare and it's a random item that goes to a random person so you're almost certainly better off grinding bronze spoils to get purified coke etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Also everyone keeps mentioning NMs in the context of Diadem, what are NMs?
Notorious Monsters - the star rank (and theoretically two and three star, if anyone can figure out what makes them pop) that pop from Fresh Tracks sometimes in Normal and always in Hard.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My propensity to dodge poo poo is related closely to how dangerous it is, since I play BLM and dodging is a direct dps loss. If a hit can be expected to take off less than half of my hp and not give me a debuff of some sort I'm going to think pretty hard about just eating it with the exception of a few spots where there is or will be high healing pressure.

This is especially true for trash pulls where the choice is between me dropping a cycle or the healer needing to stop dpsing for a cycle to heal. There are very few mechanics in dungeons or even most trials where not being fully topped up will result in a wipe so I don't sweat it most of the time. Some healers seem to lose their minds when not everyone is fully topped up so if the guy or gal looks like he's struggling then I'll dodge more.

My list, while it had a lot of examples, was not intended to be exhaustive. But yes, you're quite right. If you'd like, you can include "healers understanding why the BLM didn't move except for serious AoEs, after having played BLM themselves" to the list.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How do I make my gather retainer bring back more then 1 hq rue? Hes got the hq 60 botanist weapon and hq off hand and then the blue scrip left side. And lovely low level right side gathering gear.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Who plays using the "legacy" movement system (you face the direction you push, as opposed to backpedelling/sidestepping etc.)? I read a lot of people saying it's better for moving out of aoe effects etc. because you can just hit back instead of swinging the camera 90 degrees and sidestepping out, but i don't know how much of that is people just being used to it or people having never played any other mmo where you control the camera with the mouse or something.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I don't, though my main concern with it would be missing autoattacks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

megalodong posted:

Who plays using the "legacy" movement system (you face the direction you push, as opposed to backpedelling/sidestepping etc.)? I read a lot of people saying it's better for moving out of aoe effects etc. because you can just hit back instead of swinging the camera 90 degrees and sidestepping out, but i don't know how much of that is people just being used to it or people having never played any other mmo where you control the camera with the mouse or something.

Probably the latter. Remember a lot of people came to this mmo from ffxi where using legacy was how they did stuff in that game because the mouse was pretty garbage to use.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

MikeyLikesIt posted:

That new blonde pirate chick is pretty cute. That's all I'm contributing at this time. Thanks for reading!

Anyone know what gear she is wearing? I want to try and glamour something similar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use legacy controls exclusively. Most raiders from 2.x do that I know.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The problem with legacy controls is that, as a caster using those, using right mouse button to turn mid-cast no longer works, so you can't keep facing a moving target and you get LOS cancelled more easily.

(It doesn't LOOK like you're turning if you use standard controls, but you do)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ciaphas posted:

The problem with legacy controls is that, as a caster using those, using right mouse button to turn mid-cast no longer works, so you can't keep facing a moving target and you get LOS cancelled more easily.

I solve this by mashing the "face target" key (F by default) while mobs are moving and I'm casting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I solve this by mashing the "face target" key (F by default) while mobs are moving and I'm casting.

That'd work too--hell probably better, depending how character facing is handled between client and server. I'm too goddamn set in the "spin 90 degrees and strafe the hell out" method to change and try it though v:shobon:v

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I use legacy exclusively, it makes it MUCH easier to get out of AoEs. But then, I play with a controller, so I'm probably not one to ask about being optimal. :v: If I need to make sure I'm not missing autoattacks as a physical DPS, I use lock-on.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Press F.

Also AAs aren't an issue with legacy if you train yourself to use the strafe keys, but it's more keys for movements and people tend to map those to their hotbar. Personally I use a mmo mouse so I have the keys to spare, I'd recommend anyone who is starting out to use standard if AA is a factor to them at all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Most people who played other MMOs use Standard because it makes more sense for mouse and keyboard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Data mined Things related to the 3.15 Relics, including Weapon (and shield) Icons, and Misc Items likely involved with the new quest chain coming in 3.15

http://imgur.com/a/m5meR

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Data mined Things related to the 3.15 Relics, including Weapon (and shield) Icons, and Misc Items likely involved with the new quest chain coming in 3.15

I enjoy that the list includes two different kinds of atmas!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rebound that to Target Focus a long time ago (with Shift F as Set Focus) :v:

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Holyshoot posted:

That gun looks silly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kafziel posted:

I enjoy that the list includes two different kinds of atmas!

someone said the book is probably just what you get to skip the first part if you already have a zeta. Since 10 books = 10 jobs

Fonjo
Jan 1, 2012
Anyone having any problems with Guildwork? Mine was working yesterday after reinstalling it but today it was gone. When I try to reinstall it, it just acts like it is loading and then... nothing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have never touched anything PvP in this game. If I want to try it for some easy eso (as SCH or WHM, most likely SCH) what should I be doing? I remember hearing somewhere that I need full VIT rightsides, and to have Eos out for whispering dawn on demand.

You don't need full right side VIT gear, generally it's one or two. The reason being is that you want enough health to survive a level 1 melee limit break.

As a healer, you want to stay with your group. Cleric stance is disabled in pvp so know that your job isn't to do damage but put on status affects. Use spells that apply heavy, sleep, and bind so that your teammates can kill them easier. At the same time, clear status affects of your team as well.

Make sure you have your pvp actions available, especially purify, since you can use it even while asleep.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Holyshoot posted:

Zooming in on the Dragoon relic makes it look like it's just a red and black Gae Bolg :(

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fonjo posted:

Anyone having any problems with Guildwork? Mine was working yesterday after reinstalling it but today it was gone. When I try to reinstall it, it just acts like it is loading and then... nothing.

Same

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

seiferguy posted:

You don't need full right side VIT gear, generally it's one or two. The reason being is that you want enough health to survive a level 1 melee limit break.

Alternatively, load up on Field Commander gear, put on full right-side vit, and contribute Miasma, burst damage and tanking when there isn't healing needed. Both are valid approaches, but Scholar can offer a lot more than just healing.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
GOON DIADEM LINKSHELL IS NOW FULL please refer anybody and yourselves and all other relevant parties to the discord chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
speaking of diadem here have a writeup http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27596

• Locked thread