Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Man, it's the middle of the day on a Sunday and it feels like there's hardly anything happening on Connery. It's actually depressing how empty it feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Come to Emerald, friend.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Give it time and he won't have to (cause they'll merge the servers)

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

He hates goons and emerald with an undying passion. I can't wait for the merge.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SA feels like a good choice to hate goons.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ass_Burgerer posted:

He hates goons and emerald with an undying passion. I can't wait for the merge.

I have no strong problem with Emerald! In fact, I rolled up a spandex warrior and spent the afternoon doing my Connery impression: running headlong into groups of enemies, screaming and firing wildly.

Gives me an excuse to aurax the Eridani again, if nothing else.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

sitchelin posted:

Do not use the Magrider as a tank. It calls itself a tank but it is anything but. Prowlers have a fuckload of firepower. Vanguards have a fuckload of firepower plus an I WIN shield. You need to be ambushing. In a head-on brawl the Magrider loses every time. You have the ninja tank, abuse that. And get the aphelion.

Yeah, I've got the Aphelion and on the rare circumstance that I can get the drop on someone, it's not so bad. If I can pull it on Esamir or Amerish or anywhere with some wide open planes and few choke points, awesome! But anytime there's a vanguard or prowler push, magriders are pretty much the worst way to counter.

I guess I've just go to learn to play to it's strengths, and keep pouring certs into my magburner so I can do hit-and-run better.

I would still kill to have some kind of big goddamn Lancer as a main gun or at least on the top of my magrider, though. I really, really hate the drop on the AP cannon (which is the worst out of all the tanks, isn't that supposed to be the whole VS thing, no drop?)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

McKilligan posted:

isn't that supposed to be the whole VS thing, no drop?)

Only when it doesn't matter (exception clause: The VS battle rifle)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Leal posted:

Only when it doesn't matter (exception clause: The VS battle rifle)

I tried battle rifles.

I then stopped trying battle rifles.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Maybe you should try aiming.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

McKilligan posted:

Yeah, I've got the Aphelion and on the rare circumstance that I can get the drop on someone, it's not so bad. If I can pull it on Esamir or Amerish or anywhere with some wide open planes and few choke points, awesome! But anytime there's a vanguard or prowler push, magriders are pretty much the worst way to counter.

I guess I've just go to learn to play to it's strengths, and keep pouring certs into my magburner so I can do hit-and-run better.

I would still kill to have some kind of big goddamn Lancer as a main gun or at least on the top of my magrider, though. I really, really hate the drop on the AP cannon (which is the worst out of all the tanks, isn't that supposed to be the whole VS thing, no drop?)

Despite having the worst main gun of the 3 MBTs a rearshot is still a death-sentence for Vanguards and Prowlers, especially if you can get a Saron/Aphelion magdump in there. Vehicle stealth should be priority #1. Also crank reload speed (magazine size for Aphelion). The 0.5 seconds you take off between shots makes a gigantic difference. The Magrider needs to poo poo as much damage as possible.

If you want to use a tank-tank, get the Lightning AP and max out reload speed. I poo poo you not I have 1v1'd Prowlers and Vanguards (likely crewed by bads, but the point remains). The Lightning's slim profile and high speed makes it a pain to hit. If you can lead shots well you can gently caress up Harassers too.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
A big problem with the Mag is that you absolutely need your reload speeds at least one rank off max, and you absolutely need maxed Stealth and Magburner. This kinda goes for every vehicle since the biggest threats are mostly people with maxed vehicles who've been playing forever, but its a bit exaggerated on the Mag cause you don't have a lock Prowler's DPS wall or an I Win Shield. Eisa is probably my favourite place to tank, especially in a Mag. You should always try to get your first shot in the enemies rear end, even if its not a complete surprise. A strength of it is that you won't get butt shot doing this, they'll always hit your strongest armor. The Aphelion is incredible if your gunner knows to use the beam part though, just have let off the trigger every 6 shots then get back on. The Saron can plink at range but its real strength is in its close range magdump, ESPECIALLY on Sunderers. It rips Sundies apart, probably because of some resist number oddity. The Mag is really good but it's tough to use because its so odd, and you need to be the ambush predator.
As sitchelin said, AP Lightning's are also super underrated. Its effectively the same as Mag AP but with a faster reload and no secondary gun, and you're slim, fast, and maneuverable in a form factor that makes a lot more sense when people think 'tank'.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

A big problem with the Mag is that you absolutely need your reload speeds at least one rank off max, and you absolutely need maxed Stealth and Magburner. This kinda goes for every vehicle since the biggest threats are mostly people with maxed vehicles who've been playing forever, but its a bit exaggerated on the Mag cause you don't have a lock Prowler's DPS wall or an I Win Shield. Eisa is probably my favourite place to tank, especially in a Mag. You should always try to get your first shot in the enemies rear end, even if its not a complete surprise. A strength of it is that you won't get butt shot doing this, they'll always hit your strongest armor. The Aphelion is incredible if your gunner knows to use the beam part though, just have let off the trigger every 6 shots then get back on. The Saron can plink at range but its real strength is in its close range magdump, ESPECIALLY on Sunderers. It rips Sundies apart, probably because of some resist number oddity. The Mag is really good but it's tough to use because its so odd, and you need to be the ambush predator.
As sitchelin said, AP Lightning's are also super underrated. Its effectively the same as Mag AP but with a faster reload and no secondary gun, and you're slim, fast, and maneuverable in a form factor that makes a lot more sense when people think 'tank'.

Hahaha i don't see the part where a TR harasser or a vanguard shows up in this scenario. Magriders are feast and famine tanks, either everything is absurdly good and your golden or something shows up and your hosed. Oh an ESF shows up, prowler/vanguard swivels turret and blows it out of the sky, magrider desperately tries to find a hill to get an angle while getting whittled down. Oh an harasser shows up, vanguard pops its shield and blows it to hell, prowler lands 1 of its 2 shots causing it to flee, magrider desperately swivels its entire body trying to target a fast moving object with the worst MBT cannon.

On emerald your pretty hosed, ECUS has upped the harasser game to the best levels on all the servers meaning your lone wolfing in a giant fat target. NC has its vanguard hard on and you'll frequently see vanguards pulled from WG on the front lines which means your totally hosed because they are only equipped for anti armor work. Magriders are basically suicidal missiles, pull them to kill 1 target and if your still alive after that begin counting until you die because its coming.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Basically what I'm getting is that if a Magrider can dictate the terms of engagement, it's great. However, that includes having drat near everything in your favor, from the angle of approach to the terrain.

If something you aren't expecting shows up, you're pretty well hosed. Enemy air? Can't swing the turret to get a good angle, might as well sit back and enjoy being plinked to death. Harassers? Same deal, no turrets, much harder to hit. Someone saw you before you could engage? Unless it's a sunderer, might as well run and hide, because you sure as poo poo can't reliably engage at range.

The bonuses of mobility just don't make up for the downsides of not having a turret. It's only a moderate advantage when engaging other tanks in that your strongest armour is always face forward, but it doesn't really matter that much because they can Out-DPS or outlast you anyway, so unless you get the first hit and make it a good one, you're boned.

But, all that being said, I'm going to dive into stealth and work on my ambush tanking, because humming over the landscape is still fun as poo poo, it just sucks to get punked by just about every other goddamn vehicle in the game.

If I had a wishlist for tweaks, all I want is (wishful thinking, of course):
Faster AP shell, less drop.
Slightly greater vertical angle, to compensate against air. I know it's not meant to be an AA platform, but the other tanks have a much easier time blowing ESFs out of the sky.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 16, 2015

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!
If you want to get good at magrider, you need to cert it up or make friends with someone who has one certed, and then spend a lot of time in it with a good gunner. It's not hard to spend an entire session with a friend alternating pulls and killing things together. All these attempts to describe or criticize the mag won't make you better at using it - it's plenty capable but comes down to the art of how well you can maneuver and aim the drat thing. And that will only come with practice.

I don't tank much, but I've spent enough time in them to appreciate the power of a good magrider who can read the battle and the terrain and take advantage of it.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
as a Bad Tanker, i prefer the vanguard, but i'm waaaaay more afraid of a magrider piloted by an Elite Tier One Operator

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The important thing is to remember that most MBTs are crewed by dummies.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Auraxing the NS-11C is torture. I absolutely suck at light assault, and I know it's a good gun but I'm too old (also have a literal brain injury) to be twitchy enough to chain headshots with it. When I've got a crutch (i.e. playing as HA or inf) I can manage a 3+ kdr, but I can barely keep myself at 1 with this thing. gently caress my dumb brain for wanting the black camo.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Clamps McGraw posted:

Auraxing the NS-11C is torture. I absolutely suck at light assault, and I know it's a good gun but I'm too old (also have a literal brain injury) to be twitchy enough to chain headshots with it. When I've got a crutch (i.e. playing as HA or inf) I can manage a 3+ kdr, but I can barely keep myself at 1 with this thing. gently caress my dumb brain for wanting the black camo.

If you can crutch a 3+ KDR with HA, there's no reason you can't get a similar or slightly lower result as an LA with the NS11-C. Some things to consider:

-Make sure you use NW and medkits on your LA
-HVA provides an absurd boost to velocity on the 11C so make sure you equip it
-I comp/grip my 11C but some very good LA's will laser theirs because it remains very accurate while ADS and you also get really good CQC hip fire ability.
-Headshots do help, but if you are flanking someone, it doesn't really matter.
-4-5 round bursts.

My aim has slowly improved over the 3 years I've played this game but it's not particularly exceptional. You don't need a fully intact brain or MLG twitch aim to use this weapon. Just focus on your positioning and ambush people from mid range. That's one of the reasons the Pulsar C is one of my favorite carbines ever - you can kill someone at 50m before they can get to cover, without ever exposing yourself.

Maybe this is a good time to learn how to play non-HA classes - instead of quitting after the 11C, consider doing more carbines until you are good at it!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

as a Bad Tanker, i prefer the vanguard, but i'm waaaaay more afraid of a magrider piloted by an Elite Tier One Operator

Prowlers are the tanks that scare me. A competent driver and a good gunner and you can kiss your tank goodbye. Luckily, we're talking about TR here so that hardly ever happens.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Clamps McGraw posted:

As someone who has the reflexes of a drunk kitten and plays at 960x600, so couldn't headshot if he even tried:

The gun shouldn't matter if you're playing LA. Either you're not using the LA's strength, which is being where nobody expects you to be, or you're forcing yourself to use it in places where the LA isn't particularly useful.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

As someone who has the reflexes of a drunk kitten

I bet a drunk kitten would actually have incredible reflexes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mustarde posted:

I bet a drunk kitten would actually have incredible reflexes.

This is me navigating a biolab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3dHi_o7Yw

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Arghy posted:

Hahaha i don't see the part where a TR harasser or a vanguard shows up in this scenario. Magriders are feast and famine tanks, either everything is absurdly good and your golden or something shows up and your hosed. Oh an ESF shows up, prowler/vanguard swivels turret and blows it out of the sky, magrider desperately tries to find a hill to get an angle while getting whittled down. Oh an harasser shows up, vanguard pops its shield and blows it to hell, prowler lands 1 of its 2 shots causing it to flee, magrider desperately swivels its entire body trying to target a fast moving object with the worst MBT cannon.

On emerald your pretty hosed, ECUS has upped the harasser game to the best levels on all the servers meaning your lone wolfing in a giant fat target. NC has its vanguard hard on and you'll frequently see vanguards pulled from WG on the front lines which means your totally hosed because they are only equipped for anti armor work. Magriders are basically suicidal missiles, pull them to kill 1 target and if your still alive after that begin counting until you die because its coming.

This is Arghy as gently caress, unsurprisingly. The Mag is great at stopping enemy ESFs compared to the other MBTs because of how easily it can get itself angles. Its easily the best MBT for fighting a Harasser imo since it has to be played like a giant Harasser, not like a tank.
ECUS is overrated. Good at what they do as a group, easy to kill or make them run away individually. They're simply a non-threat alone, often so if there's only two (as in number of harassers, not people). Also the guy asking about them isn't on Emerald iirc, so they're entirely irrelevant. He is on a zergier server in my experience though, so that can make Magging a lot harder.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Trees is like a recording of one opinion on Magriders, played on loop for 2 years.

Thanks for giving us this same opinion one more time bro. Magrider is awesome, better than harrassers, ecus is trash and overrated, you're the best player in the world (as always) and everyone who disagrees with you is a lovely or bad.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hey guys, did you know the tank that doesn't have a turret, has to physically turn to deal with aircraft, and can't aim up? It's really really good at fighting aircraft - in fact it's the best, because it's so versatile.

Just another Helpful Tip.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Now call him an aimbotter.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Magriders are my second favorite thing to shoot in the butt with my cloak flash.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cabbit posted:

Now call him an aimbotter.

I trust the fine folks at DBG to have a handle on the state of hacking in the game, our own Westy explained that they are really good at that.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Rakthar posted:

Trees is like a recording of one opinion on Magriders, played on loop for 2 years.

Thanks for giving us this same opinion one more time bro. Magrider is awesome, better than harrassers, ecus is trash and overrated, you're the best player in the world (as always) and everyone who disagrees with you is a lovely or bad.

I'm more constructive than you are, I'm so sorry I switched from a lengthier version of the classic "source your quotes" to something that might help the guy! Posting that the Magrider is garbage is this threads Forumside in a nutshell.

Also did I mention recently that I'm the best? Oh I didn't? Well, its literally my outfit tag so I shouldn't need to.
Oh and for good measure, goons are dumb and bad and lovely. :bravo:
Wait, I'm sorry, I can't source my quote cause I didn't claim these things, I just facetiously told someone to learn to tank and that he's playing a vehicle in an ineffective ("wrong") way.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 16, 2015

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Horizontal Tree posted:

I'm more constructive than you are, I'm so sorry I switched from a lengthier version of the classic "source your quotes" to something that might help the guy!

How about, let people discuss the magrider without repeating your endless, identical, and pointless opinion on it? At this point bro, I'd say your thoughts on the Mag are covered. The fact that not everyone agrees with you shouldn't trigger an argument about it every single time though. This has happened like a dozen times now it's actually weird. Trees is here to deliver HIS OPINION MAGRIDER BEST TANK, like some kind of batsignal when it gets mentioned.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
As someone who drives Harassers as my part time Job, Magriders are a trash tank that is not in any way scary no matter how good the pilot is. Engage it at range. It always loses because both the Saron and the Main Gun are poo poo at range, strafing isn't much hindrance to the Enforcer and completely useless vs a Gatekeeper and the tank is slow as gently caress. You can Magburner away I guess? Rather than just win the fight?

At best you stick a Halberd on top and hope both you and the gunner are hot poo poo and maybe you'll be as effective as a half decent Prowler or Vanguard.

It's okay at farming infantry though if that's your bag.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Oh, important Magrider tip. Bind keys to Turn left/right, the way you would bind pitch up/down in an ESF. This way you turn on a dime and don't have to jack around your sensitivity.

In a nutshell: Bind turn keys, get a good gunner, Rival Chassis, Vehicle Stealth, Magburn/Fire Supp (Magburn recommended). Crank reload speed asap, all 3 AV secondaries are good (Saron, Aphelion, Halberd). Abuse terrain to ambush vehicles, you can float up the sides of mountains that would make Prowlers & Vanguards stall out, never engage head to head unless they're trailing smoke.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 16, 2015

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Horizontal Tree posted:

I just facetiously told someone to learn to tank and that he's playing a vehicle in an ineffective ("wrong") way.

I wish we could have this thread without this god damned cockshit

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fans posted:

You can Magburner away I guess? Rather than just win the fight?
There are different kinds of tanks. There are fast ones that can't do much else, there are really defensive ones that can't move well, and there are those that can't defend well, can't speed around a lot, but are just mobile enough and possess the alpha strike to be a considerable danger to other tanks. Those things are called tank destroyers, and the Magrider falls into that category.

Comparing it to the medium/heavy type tanks that are the Prowler/Vanguard, or the Light that are the Harasser/Flash is a typical apples to oranges comparison.

If anything the complaint here should be that every faction should get one of each class of tank, but then again we're not playing World of Tanks.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mithaldu posted:

There are different kinds of tanks. There are fast ones that can't do much else, there are really defensive ones that can't move well, and there are those that can't defend well, can't speed around a lot, but are just mobile enough and possess the alpha strike to be a considerable danger to other tanks. Those things are called tank destroyers, and the Magrider falls into that category.

Comparing it to the medium/heavy type tanks that are the Prowler/Vanguard, or the Light that are the Harasser/Flash is a typical apples to oranges comparison.

If anything the complaint here should be that every faction should get one of each class of tank, but then again we're not playing World of Tanks.

I played a lot of WoT and when you try to apply the tank destroyer formula it doesn't work. TDs are turretless tanks with stronger front armor. The magrider doesn't have stronger front armor. The turretless TDs have bigger alpha guns. Magrider's tank has the worst DPS, worst alpha, and mediocre ROF. Horrific shell speed so hitting things gets harder with distance (since more time elapses between shot and impact meaning more variance occurs).

If you took a tank and removed the turret, kept the same gun arcs and gave it the ability to hoverturn to offset the turret, then made sure the gun was kinda crappy so that you couldn't exploit the mobility too much (like mediums were for a bit), then you'd have the same concept as the Mag. Does that sound awesome?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mithaldu posted:

If the ES buggies are ever released, I really hope they're gonna fill radically different roles like MBTs, rather than being reskins with comparatively minor handling differences like ESFs.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mithaldu posted:

My point was there's no real place the Magrider excels, other than being on top of a hill farming a tower. It's amazing for that, it's not very good in literally any other role you'd want it to fill. It's the worst tank at range. It's the worst tank close up. It's the slowest tank. Its main gun has a horrendous drawback in its fixed firing arc and has the slowest velocity and the worst alpha damage to boot.

Its one saving grace is it can go up hills like a Harasser. But with the lack of any decent long range gun, this isn't that big a deal. A bunch of Magriders up on a hill is irritating, but they're not actually going to stop you doing much like a bunch of Prowlers would with their insane DPS and range.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rakthar posted:

worst alpha
At close range? Including the top gunner?

Also you seem to be ignoring the fact that the magrider can be in places other tanks can't and can easily move between types of terrain other tanks can only with difficulties.

The thing's role is to flank other tanks and surprise them at close range, then pop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mithaldu posted:

The thing's role is to flank other tanks and surprise them at close range, then pop them.

Maybe not the ideal role for the slowest vechicle in the game.

Hill climbing is nice, but there's really not that many hills you can't get up that a Magrider can and that's literally all it has going for it. It is outran by every other vechicle in the game, even the wobbling brick that is a Sunderer.

• Locked thread