Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Saigon Pho on Bank is pretty good. I'm not a big Pho eater thought. I mostly go there because it has the advantage of being close

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flashy_mcflash posted:

haha what even is vegan pho? Like a bowl of water or?

I don't know because I haven't been there (for obvious reasons). I assume it's noodles and vegetables in vegetable broth or something. How's that supposed to help my hangover, I ask you?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

There's no sense asking for pho recommendations in Ottawa because every restaurant is called Pho Bo Ga La.

This is actually to the point where my ex-coworkers would refer to the food as "pho bo ga" instead of just "pho"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

pointers posted:

shawarma palace on bank & hunt club is #1

Shawarma Rosana at Canterbury and Arch, man. Dope.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Shwarma Khan in Winnipeg owns only because Obby Khan owns

The only good blue bomber is an ex blue bomber

Obby Khan is a pretty cool dude

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

haha what even is vegan pho? Like a bowl of water or?

All of the rainwater, with none of the fish nightmares!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Sorry to interrupt fascinating food chat, xPost from F-35

Cat Mattress posted:

So, Trudeau's promised canceling of the F-35 procurement will be subjected to American veto. Thanks, Obama.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-blm-canada-fighters-73a87d4a-7f0b-11e5-bfb6-65300a5ff562-20151030-story.html

quote:

Canada said to consult Obama before opening fighter-jet bidding

OTTAWA - Incoming Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will consult with President Barack Obama before restarting a process to replace Canada's aging fleet of combat jets, in a bid to head off damage to relations between the two countries, according to an official familiar with the plans.

Trudeau's Liberals campaigned on abandoning Canada's plans to buy Lockheed Martin's F-35 jets, pledging to "immediately" launch an open bidding process to buy a cheaper plane. Canada has previously considered Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet, Saab's Gripen, Dassault Aviation's Rafale and the Eurofighter Typhoon, produced by a consortium including BAE Systems, Airbus Group and Alenia Aermacchi.

The incoming government won't open bids until discussing the matter with the U.S. government -- perhaps during an anticipated meeting between Trudeau and Obama at a Group of 20 meeting in Turkey next month, the official said. While timing is still being finalized, the consultation means a bidding process likely won't begin until next year, said the official, who spoke on condition they not be identified because a final decision hasn't been made.

A key foreign policy objective for Trudeau is seeking to rebuild ties with the Obama administration that he says suffered under outgoing Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government. The new Trudeau government wants to avoid any major surprises for the Obama administration, the official said.

After winning a surprise majority in Canada's Oct. 19 election, Trudeau is set to officially take power on Nov. 4, when he will name his cabinet. His administration, however, is already being courted by aircraft manufacturers.

All four potential suitors, contacted by Bloomberg since the election, said they're now watching the incoming government with interest. Eric Trappier, chief executive officer of Dassault, wrote Trudeau last week to congratulate him on his victory and say the company's Rafale fighter "would be potentially proposed" if the F-35 was ruled out, according to an email from company spokesman Stephane Fort.

Trudeau campaigned on abandoning the unfinished purchase of Lockheed's F-35, the cost estimate of which ballooned during Harper's tenure, fueling controversy in Canada. The government's last estimate for its planned purchase of 65 jets was a lifetime cost of C$45.8 billion ($34.8 billion), well above initial forecasts. Canada has not made a final decision and is therefore extending the lifespan of its existing CF-18 fighters to 2025.

Canadian companies have to date secured C$637 million in contracts under the F-35 program, according to a 2014 government report, with another C$10.2 billion in "identified opportunities." Supporters of the F-35 warn pulling out of the program will harm Canada's aerospace sector, with Harper himself saying doing so would "crater" the domestic industry.

Trudeau hopes to buy at least 65 other jets at a cheaper price, with the savings being directed into the country's shipbuilding program. Some observers say lifetime costs for other jets with older technology aren't all that different, and Canada would sacrifice the industrial benefits that go with the sprawling F-35 program.

"That's a much bigger global market that Canadian companies have opportunities in than they would with any of the other aircraft," said Charles Davies, a retired Canadian colonel and director of material acquisition who is now a research fellow with the Ottawa-based Conference of Defence Associations Institute.

Davies said it's doubtful Canada will save much money with a different plane, particularly if "life-cycle" costs that include maintenance and fuel are compared, rather than just "fly-away" purchase costs.

Trudeau's Liberals have said the priority for Canada's new jets "will remain the defense of North America" and not "first- strike stealth capabilities."

Canada's aging CF-18 jets have two engines, which advocates say is an asset given the country's vast, remote and thinly populated northern regions. The Super Hornet, Rafale and Eurofighter are all twin engine, while Saab's Gripen and the F-35 are single engine. Saab was the only company to previously decline an invitation from the Canadian government to take part in a market analysis study.

Trudeau's platform noted the Super Hornet is cheaper than the F-35 and would support Canadian jobs with maintenance work done within the country, though stressed mentioning the plane was not "indicative of which aircraft would win a truly open and transparent competition." The Liberal official underscored that, saying the Super Hornet was used as an example because it is the most familiar alternative to Canadians.

Michael Byers, a University of British Columbia professor who studies defense issues, estimates Trudeau could potentially save C$10 billion by buying a different plane, and argues Canada's sinking dollar has made the F-35 unaffordable anyhow. "The actual amount depends on a variety of factors," he said in an e-mail, citing the number of planes purchased as an example.

In a statement, Boeing spokeswoman Caroline Hutcheson said the Super Hornet's low cost and "unprecedented opportunities for Canadian industry" make it worthwhile.

Saab is "following the political developments in the country with interest" but isn't actively marketing the Gripen until an open competition formally begins, spokesman Sebastian Carlsson said.

Theodor Benien, vice president of communications for the Eurofighter consortium, said the group is also monitoring Canada's political changeover but had no further comment.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The F-35 is a boondoggle of... well not the highest order but it's certainly up there, and whether we buy them or not really is nobody else's drat business.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Agreed. Obby is a consistently cool guy and his restaurant is great.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't think anyone is buying them anyways. Haven't a bunch of other countries already reneged?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Consult doesn't mean veto. It may just be just and FYI session or something similar. Personally I think we should buy the Rafale. If we play our cards right we might be able to get a half price Mistral built and our home built abortion of a joint support ship can go back to being a dedicated supply ship rather then a hybrid supply/troop transport.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Do you believe that the scientific consensus regarding global warming is accurate, or close enough to accuracy to be genuinely alarming?

I think it's accurate. I'm not genuinely alarmed. Or alarmed in a disingenuous manner. I think it's inevitable and we should be talking about preparation at least as much as reduction. My house is on high ground and I look forward to not having to shovel snow as much. In the case this polar vortex bullshit continues, I've got lots of wood to chop. What purpose does it serve to be alarmed? China has 907 GW of coal electric generation (compared to Ontario's 28 GW total but peak usage is around 18).

Their emissions will continue to rise every year until 2030 and they've been caught recently under-reporting their emissions. The scientific consensus (as best I could find) was that we need to start reducing by 2020 to keep warming to just 2 degrees otherwise we're looking at a 4 degree rise by 2040 and that's not good for a lot of people. I think that is going to happen because China is being a bunch of dickbags, sitting on their 4 trillion in cash reserves instead of building CANDUs as fast as they can.

RBC posted:

seriously still lolling at the dude trying to equate stopping global warming with bombing isis. like what lol

I hope you didn't vote OLP then cause your environment minister likes to compare them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Is it time to post that map of average temperature versus rate of violence/insurgaency etc? Cause if it is I guess I'll see you guys again on page 76.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
well like, the whole thing in syria with the civil war started because of record crop failures, which might be related!!!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

gently caress humanity, got mine

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ikantski China has 26 nuclear generating stations under construction. How many more do they need to appease you as fast as possible remark?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Ikantski China has 26 nuclear generating stations under construction. How many more do they need to appease you as fast as possible remark?

Enough to stop increasing emissions yearly by 2020?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a place for Lebanese food that gives me extra portions since I go there everyday for lunch. There was a different amir I went to but stopped going to since they were so drat obviously stingy with the veggies I was insulted.

If I ask for extra hot peppers unless I see you reach in and grab me a handfull of them I am going to be upset with you.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Enough to stop increasing emissions yearly by 2020?

While I don't disagree that they could be doing more, it's easy to see the CCP will continue at the current rate of construction for decades. They are trying to turn their monolithic energy strategy around, and it will take decades to implement. They should also start by burning clean coal immediately.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 16, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

While I don't disagree that they could be doing more, it's easy to see the CCP will continue at the current rate of construction for decades. They are trying to turn their monolithic energy strategy around, and it will take decades to implement.

That is the very popular opinion that makes me think it's inevitable. The science doesn't care if China is trying hard or about their GDP growth or budget surplus. All that matters is rates and dates.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Apparently Brad Wall is being Canada's Bobby Jindal and asking JT to suspend the refugee program until he can get assurances that no terrorists will be let in

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Apparently Brad Wall is being Canada's Bobby Jindal and asking JT to suspend the refugee program until he can get assurances that no terrorists will be let in

Saskatoon, a prime terror target

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I was wrong earlier about the Sunday Edition discussing the goal of anti-Islamic backlash in the west. Here it is on the 180:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/pari...iment-1.3319618

apatheticman posted:

Friendly reminder that Brad Wall has fallen for ISIS propaganda and is actively helping terrorist murderers to get what they want.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I like Shawarma palace because they call me boss and make me feel like a man (for once). Both Rideau and Bank/Hunt Club are good.

Also $12 to leave my wife and I couch bound for the rest of the night (and with garlic breath for days) is just too loving good.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

brucio posted:

Saskatoon, a prime terror target
It's like in Fahrenheit 9/11 when he interviews the people in small town Virginia and they worry that AQ might attack their town because they "have a Walmart".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But guys what if they attack the ROUGHRIDERS?! Then we'd only have one Roughriders left and that's just not enough!!!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Looks like as soon as Jindal did that all of the Republicans came out and said the same thing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:argh: BLOODY SAVAGES! KILL EM ALL
:byodame: CAMPUS LIBERALS
:bahgawd: WYNNE
:freep: THE TRADITIONAL CANADIAN RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS
:black101: STARE DOWN THE STATE

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PT6A posted:

There used to be a very good Vietnamese place across the street from me, but they went all hippie and socially-responsible and now everything there is vegan, and vegan pho can go gently caress itself. Need to find more good pho here.

We do have some superb banh mi, though.

Vietnamese village on 7th Ave and 8th St downtown. If you like peanut in your sate anyway.

And schwarma Knight on 14th is the spot for schwarma. Only thing I miss about leaving bankview.

Where is the good banh mi hiding?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Vietnamese village on 7th Ave and 8th St downtown. If you like peanut in your sate anyway.

And schwarma Knight on 14th is the spot for schwarma. Only thing I miss about leaving bankview.

Where is the good banh mi hiding?

My personal favourite banh mi is Thi Thi. I go to the one on 8th Ave. between 5th and 6th, but I think there's one in Chinatown as well (the original location). I think I might check out Vietnamese Village for lunch, or just get a banh mi because now I'm thinking about that...

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

PT6A posted:

But guys what if they attack the ROUGHRIDERS?! Then we'd only have one Roughriders left and that's just not enough!!!

Hey come on now, we haven't been the Roughriders in years

Canadian football games are actually loads of fun to go to. I managed to pick up tickets in row 4 for the home opener and two games of my choice for $150, that's hard to beat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

My personal favourite banh mi is Thi Thi. I go to the one on 8th Ave. between 5th and 6th, but I think there's one in Chinatown as well (the original location). I think I might check out Vietnamese Village for lunch, or just get a banh mi because now I'm thinking about that...

Banh mi are the best sandwich and I can't find a good one in New Westminster :(

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
So all you guys who voted for Trudeau wanted to stop the bombings but continue to see Canada engage robustly in the fight against ISIS? #realchange

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-to-play-role-in-battle-against-is-trudeau-vows/article27267692/ posted:

“I think one of the things that Canadians have expressed, certainly over the past months and within the election, [is] that they wanted to see a ceasing of the bombing mission and they wanted to see Canada continue to engage robustly in the fight against ISIL in a way that brought a meaningful support to the international efforts to degrade and prevent ISIL from continuing its terrorist attacks,” said Mr. Trudeau, using an alternate name for Islamic State.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

jm20 posted:

Sorry to interrupt fascinating food chat, xPost from F-35

...a retired Canadian colonel and director of material acquisition...

Excuse me if I'm a little cautious about taking advice from an expert who was in charge at some point during the last few decades of CF acquisition clusterfucks. Let's just flush that toilet and move on.

And drat you guys for shawarma chat. There is only one restaurant in Nanaimo advertising shawarma, but it also sells poutine. Maybe I'll get lucky and they know how to do both. My last poutine was from Costco, so anything will be an improvement.

Weed shops and shawarma. TWO reasons to visit downtown Nanaimo!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I honestly cannot believe that anyone, even the National Post, is still giving Mark Steyn a platform to write things in the year 2015.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, to be honest I haven't seen them much anywhere in Canada outside Calgary. Nothing in Montreal that I can remember. When I lived out there, I'd practically eat them every day whenever I was visiting Calgary (sort of like I eat from Boustan and drink at DDC every day when I'm visiting Montreal now).

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

apatheticman posted:

I wonder to what extent such assurances would have to be made. Does Brad Wall require that refugees don't also become terrorists later, a move partially motivated by extreme prejudice levelled toward them by people like Brad Wall?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not Banh mi connoisseur, but there's a place by lougheed called pho capital that is pretty good imo.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 16, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Don't worry Brad Wall, there's no chance that Syrian refugees (or anyone) wants to go to Saskatchewan, even to attack it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah, that place is alright. :) 2nd fave to (IMO) the best which is Shwarma Time on Ellice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
How are Brad Wall's prospects in next spring's provincial election? Any credible challenge?