Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how games that everyone acknowledges are janky, poorly made pieces of poo poo good for soothing a particular kind of autism and nothing else, still get 9.5/10 from reviewers

tl/dr: nerds suck

tl/dr 2: don't ban me for this please

Turns out that particular type of autism is present in 9.5/10 of gamers so the game is actually considered quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
also some kind of gridding for placing crops would be really cool. i wanna build a mutfruit grove, but it's pretty much impossible to get things straight the way it is now.

a complete settlement overhaul mod would be all around dandy. also settler assignments

it's really kinda weird, I have nothing against the minecraftiness of the settlement system in theory, but the implementation is so poor that it makes me completely want to disengage from it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Trompe le Monde posted:

Anyone encounter a weird bug with nick Valentine making a loud clicking noise constantly, like a machine? Aside from being hilariously appropriate, it's real loving annoying and I prefer nick as a companion so it's problematic.

Have you tried turning him off and back on again?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The main thing I hate about farming is how much worse it is than water collection. Want to give your settlement more water than it could ever possibly need? Slap down some purifiers and a couple generators and you're good. You can't do that with farming though, you have to lovingly hand-place every single crop and then manually tell your peons to get cracking. Some sort of greenhouse prefab would be nice.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Chalks posted:

Turns out that particular type of autism is present in 9.5/10 of gamers so the game is actually considered quite good.

uh i mean this game is really enjoyable if you dont have the sort of crippling autism that obsesses over dumb poo poo like "charisma is a dump stat because i savescum. hurr :bethesda: amirite?"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Because the game is still really good? Hard to believe I know!

actually it's mediocre

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

The main thing I hate about farming is how much worse it is than water collection. Want to give your settlement more water than it could ever possibly need? Slap down some purifiers and a couple generators and you're good. You can't do that with farming though, you have to lovingly hand-place every single crop and then manually tell your peons to get cracking. Some sort of greenhouse prefab would be nice.

While I mostly agree, it's pretty easy to just plop down some Mutfruit trees and call it a day. I think free settlers automatically start farming unless you manually assign them to something else.

icantfindaname posted:

actually it's mediocre
:eyepop:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I understand that the console is somewhat of a grey area but personally I file it under "external tool", a lot of games take measures to stop you using the console too (previous bethesda games would block achievement progress if you used the console, for example. Not really sure why this one does, other than they understand that their game is so buggy you'll have to use the console at some point to unfuck something).

I agree, death-based failure states are a relic of game design that should be phased out.

I think ideally there would be a system where either the choice doesn't show up if you can't use it (ie if you don't have the skill you don't even know you're missing something) or it isn't optimal to use the persuasion option every time (like with Dean in New Vegas).

I think they're just not very good at writing dialogue though unfortunately and having a bunch of alternate dialogue would be more effort. Especially with the VA work.

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how games that everyone acknowledges are janky, poorly made pieces of poo poo good for soothing a particular kind of autism and nothing else, still get 9.5/10 from reviewers

tl/dr: nerds suck

tl/dr 2: don't ban me for this please

Actually it's a really fun game with some flaws and I think the particular kind of autism here is claiming it sucks as a game because of whatever pet issue you're having.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've about 22 hours in and wanted to share some thoughts on this game:

1. Music is amazing. I don't mean the radio stuff, I mean the actual soundtrack. Best Bethesda game soundtrack by far. It reminds me of Ulver mixed with Clint Mansell. With a touch of Mark Morgan to boot.
2. World building is really really good. The writing is a bit stiff, but better than Fallout 3. It's not New Vegas, of course, but no one expected it to be.
3. I really like the levelling system. Every level is a significant choice about how to build my character. It at least feels that way which is important.
4. Settlement building? The interface if finicky, but there is something oddly cathartic about taking over settlements in the wastes and seeing them grow with people over time, and hand crafting each one to a degree that lets you make your mark. I hope this feature stays in the next Elder Scrolls game, honestly, because It'd be nice to homestead a land that isn't a nuclear warscape.
5. Graphics...well...they are really loving good. Low res textures still persist, but on PC running Ultra, this game looks a HELL of a lot better than screenshots give it credit for. Even early streams were butt ugly compared to actually playing it. And Bethesda has FINALLY fixed the goddamn "raining through rooftops" poo poo their engine has had since Morrowind. It still does to a degree, but if you stand under ledge in the rain, you can see the rain is actually not falling nearly as hard, and seems to fall less with depending on the material above your head.
6. How about "is it a Fallout game?" This...I don't know. It's a really good game, and one of Bethesda's best. I've put 970 hours in to Skyrim, according to Steam, since it was released so time will tell if this holds up as well, but it's a great game. But for Fallout...I don't know yet. When you're standing around looking at poo poo on a rainy day in the broken down Boston Commons, it certainly feels like Fallout, which I think is what Bethesda goes for. The idea that your choices and dialogue are making an impact on the game world are minimal, it seems, but there are soem nice touches, like when a companion chimes in during a conversation or when Deacon remarked on some of the things i'd accomplished when vouching for me. It's not New Vegas writing/consequence wise...but it may be as close as Bethesda ever gets. And speaking of companions...
7. Companions! So far, these mo fos, at least the few i've travelled with seem really diverse, well written, and have a good degree of personality. Not the best companions, but so far they are not too far from Bioware's work, imo.

Them's my thoughts.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broken Cog posted:

While I mostly agree, it's pretty easy to just plop down some Mutfruit trees and call it a day. I think free settlers automatically start farming unless you manually assign them to something else.

I don't know if I've ever seen settlers auto-assign food, except for the very first quest you have to put food down for. It also takes up waaaaay too much space.

Moridin920 posted:

Actually it's a really fun game with some flaws and I think the particular kind of autism here is claiming it sucks as a game because of whatever pet issue you're having.

I don't really know if anyone's directly saying that it sucks, beyond meowbot's weird schizophrenic ramblings. I'd certainly never say it "sucks" and I'm pretty sure neither is Colbert avatar; just that there's a lot of flaws that keep a good game from being great.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 16, 2015

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
it is TOTALLY mediocre, but it's the right kind of mediocre.

it's sorta like borderlands. it's a lovely game in more than a few ways, but when it comes down to it it makes your brain feel good sometimes and honestly that shouldn't be looked down upon.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Okay it seems like artillery strike grenades will just keep respawning in packs of 10 in your workshop every time you fast travel back. :dance:

RIP all those city blocks over there I hardly knew ye.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

uh i mean this game is really enjoyable if you dont have the sort of crippling autism that obsesses over dumb poo poo like "charisma is a dump stat because i savescum. hurr :bethesda: amirite?"

Yeah someone should do an autism/enjoyment of the game graph to explain this poo poo.

For the record I'm finding it really fun.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen settlers auto-assign food, except for the very first quest you have to put food down for. It also takes up waaaaay too much space.

They auto-assign food on arrival if there is spare food for them to auto-assign to. They won't after the fact, though.

Chalks posted:

Yeah someone should do an autism/enjoyment of the game graph to explain this poo poo.

For the record I'm finding it really fun.

Same. Played for like 35 hours last week.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

lmao if you have less than 80 hours in this so far. Life havers.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Moridin920 posted:

They auto-assign food on arrival if there is spare food for them to auto-assign to. They won't after the fact, though.

if this is true that's really cool and also all the more reason for there to be SOME KIND OF SETTLER MANAGEMENT INTERFACE

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I've got 68 hours and I honestly can't even tell you what I've done with them. I feel like radiant quests are my life now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

icantfindaname posted:

actually it's mediocre

I've considered your point and decided that it's good actually. Maybe even great. In fact, no maybe about it. It is a great game.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

lmao if you have less than 80 hours in this so far. Life havers.

how the gently caress are people doing that? im playing it nonstop and i've managed like 35 hours. going for longer would require.. me to like be getting 2 hours of sleep and doing nothing but playing the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

I haven't really been paying attention, but I've been setting up a lot of new settlements, and I never have to actually assign settlers to the food. Maybe it's just for the new settlers coming in?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

how the gently caress are people doing that? im playing it nonstop and i've managed like 35 hours. going for longer would require.. me to like be getting 2 hours of sleep and doing nothing but playing the game.

Why do you think they're so mad about minor issues?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
All I know is every time I have a night free the first thing I want to do is play Fallout and every single time I end up totally enthralled for 3-5 hours. Aside from Rocket League and The Witcher I'd say Fallout is the best game I've played all year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lady Naga posted:

Just plant tatos or corn, you can make those beds super dense

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Boy, there's a lot of dumb, boring stat advice around. Just loving go for something that looks fun. Don't savescum you boring assholes, sometimes failing is fun. Don't stress out about dumpstats and all that poo poo, don't fret. You'll get any stat you want eventually, you'll get everything you wish for in time.

Everything will be alright.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you guys like applying basic arithmetic to video games? Me, too! So let's talk about why you shouldn't ever take the Life Giver perk.

Life Giver gives you 20 HP per rank, up to a maximum of 60. At low levels, this is a pretty good deal. But you're not going to be at low levels forever, or even for very long, in the grand scheme of things. And you can do better.

Before we go on, here's the HP formula. At level 1, you start with 80 + END*5 HP; each level after that, you gain 2.5 + END/2 HP. Another important note: Endurance-based HP gains are retroactive, meaning that if you add a point of Endurance at level 20, it'll be just like you had it all along. Because of that formula, putting a point into Endurance at any time will give you an extra half an HP per level, plus 5 for your level 1 HP, or 5 + (Level - 1)*0.5 HP. Going by that, HP gains from Endurance are greater than from Life Giver by the time you reach level 32, and the gap widens as you level. By the time you're level 50, putting a point into Endurance will net you almost 10 more HP than putting a point into Life Giver (along with Endurance's other benefit, letting you sprint longer, if for some reason you care).

Here are some examples. Let's say you're level 40. You have 3 Endurance. That means you have 251 HP. If you add three ranks of Life Giver, that brings your HP to 311 HP. If you instead bump your Endurance to 6 with those same three points, you'll instead have 324 HP (technically 324.5 HP but the Pip-Boy display truncates the decimal.) By the time you're level 60, it looks like this: with 3 Endurance, you have 331 HP; with 3 Endurance and three points of Life Giver you have 391 HP; with 6 Endurance you have 434 HP.

Inasmuch as HP matters at all (maybe you're just going to roll around in power armor sucking down stimpaks all day, or sneak so well you never get hit), Endurance is a much better investment per perk point than Life Giver. Thank you for reading my stupid nerd poo poo.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Lady Naga posted:

I've got 68 hours and I honestly can't even tell you what I've done with them. I feel like radiant quests are my life now.

i think youre confusing the amount of time youve played fo4 with the amount of time you spend posting about fo4

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Azhais posted:

Just plant tatos or corn, you can make those beds super dense

Yeah but then it looks ~wrong~

PantsBandit posted:

All I know is every time I have a night free the first thing I want to do is play Fallout and every single time I end up totally enthralled for 3-5 hours. Aside from Rocket League and The Witcher I'd say Fallout is the best game I've played all year.

2015 is a weird year because overall I feel like it's been above-average in quality, but whenever I'm hard pressed to think of a Game of the Year I come up blank. Maybe hype culture has ruined fun for me to the point where I no longer feel joy any more.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

i think youre confusing the amount of time youve played fo4 with the amount of time you spend posting about fo4

Sorry but my schedule is already all filled up with weird vindictive hatefucks, I'll have to pencil you in for next year.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

Well I go to work, come home and play fallout for 12 hours then go to sleep. Its not hard.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Black Griffon posted:

Don't savescum you boring assholes, sometimes failing is fun.

but I want cait's story of redemption to end in beautiful lesbian romance and i'm not about to let my low CHR stat stop me

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Harrow posted:

Do you guys like applying basic arithmetic to video games? Me, too! So let's talk about why you shouldn't ever take the Life Giver perk.

Life Giver gives you 20 HP per rank, up to a maximum of 60. At low levels, this is a pretty good deal. But you're not going to be at low levels forever, or even for very long, in the grand scheme of things. And you can do better.

Before we go on, here's the HP formula. At level 1, you start with 80 + END*5 HP; each level after that, you gain 2.5 + END/2 HP. Another important note: Endurance-based HP gains are retroactive, meaning that if you add a point of Endurance at level 20, it'll be just like you had it all along. Because of that formula, putting a point into Endurance at any time will give you an extra half an HP per level, plus 5 for your level 1 HP, or 5 + (Level - 1)*0.5 HP. Going by that, HP gains from Endurance are greater than from Life Giver by the time you reach level 32, and the gap widens as you level. By the time you're level 50, putting a point into Endurance will net you almost 10 more HP than putting a point into Life Giver (along with Endurance's other benefit, letting you sprint longer, if for some reason you care).

Here are some examples. Let's say you're level 40. You have 3 Endurance. That means you have 251 HP. If you add three ranks of Life Giver, that brings your HP to 311 HP. If you instead bump your Endurance to 6 with those same three points, you'll instead have 324 HP (technically 324.5 HP but the Pip-Boy display truncates the decimal.) By the time you're level 60, it looks like this: with 3 Endurance, you have 331 HP; with 3 Endurance and three points of Life Giver you have 391 HP; with 6 Endurance you have 434 HP.

Inasmuch as HP matters at all (maybe you're just going to roll around in power armor sucking down stimpaks all day, or sneak so well you never get hit), Endurance is a much better investment per perk point than Life Giver. Thank you for reading my stupid nerd poo poo.

Then I would assume Solar-Powered a good perk to get? Being able to heal rads away sounds awesome.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Multiple people have commented on holes / parts of dialogue that suggest a male character was supposed to be there (also the intro, etc).

It's called confirmation bias. It is ridiculously unfeasible for them to have squeezed in twice the spoken lines for the protag to also be a woman in the time between that 'leak' and their release.

There was a ton of other poo poo in that leak that was just straight up untrue, and nothing about any of the modding or settlement systems was mentioned at all.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Harrow posted:

This is good, we need more of this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Then I would assume Solar-Powered a good perk to get? Being able to heal rads away sounds awesome.

If you're going to 10 Endurance, grab it for sure. I wouldn't recommend investing in that much Endurance though, because HP really isn't that huge of a deal. On Survival you're going to get blown up quickly anyway, and anything lower than that you'll probably have plenty of stimpaks not to have to worry too much about damage.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That doesn't sound better at all.

Running a cheat engine executable in the background that manipulates run-time memory is better than typing in a two word console command?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

it is TOTALLY mediocre, but it's the right kind of mediocre.

it's sorta like borderlands. it's a lovely game in more than a few ways, but when it comes down to it it makes your brain feel good sometimes and honestly that shouldn't be looked down upon.

IMO borderlands is better than this. at least borderlands has an interesting aesthetic going on and more interesting, if maybe not better, writing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh good lord no I'd take bland Beth writing over Anthony Burch any loving day of the week.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

quadrophrenic posted:

SETTLER MANAGEMENT INTERFACE

I want to mod in something like the motherbase menu, and fultoning of enemies while I'm at it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

failing speech checks would be a lot less lovely if they had bothered to record unique dialogue for failed attempts like stumbling your words to or something like new vegas

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I asked in the other thread but is there anything to do in Fens Sewer (with the serial killer's logs for a detective) if you bring Nick along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Oh good lord no I'd take bland Beth writing over Anthony Burch any loving day of the week.

IMO they're both bad, but i'll take interesting over bland any day

• Locked thread