Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i am worried they will make it the "cheapo model" and leave out touch ID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

triple sulk posted:

if you live in a real city you will find that amex is taken pretty much everywhere

Mulva posted:

Rule 36 violation if you're shopping where Amex isn't accepted.
a lot of good local non-chain restaurants (esp. asian) won't take it, neither does the costco anymore. also local small markets and auto shops

amex charges hella merchant fees, i guess

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

THC posted:

i am worried they will make it the "cheapo model" and leave out touch ID

nah, apple pay is facing multiple competitors and they'll want all their phones to support it to further push adoption.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

every year "oh it'll be out before september this year" people don't get product development like they think apple is still gluing new bits onto the iphone in july the iphone 7 is already done and probably has been for months

re: amex you should pay cash at small businesses anyway

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 2 hours!)

Last Chance posted:

do u mean apple pay cuz 5s has touchid

although a 5S sized phone with touchid as fast as the 6S would own.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
next news story: apple to phase out oversized 6/6s sizes in favor of sensible products not based on triangulated customer whims

in other news, pigs fly and tim cook ceases being a starfucker

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

if it's a restaurant that accepts visa or mc i'm just not going to carry around wads of cash to pay my bill in 2015 sorry

i'd be pretty suspicious of any sit down restaurant where i'm paying $40-$60 that was cash only

other small business types, maybe i can feel you on that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
always pay cash at service-oriented businesses to ensure that tips can be divided more easily and won't be reduced by credit processing fees

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Last Chance posted:

do u mean apple pay cuz 5s has touchid

5S can only do Apple Pay if you have an Apple Watch, no NFC hardware in the 5S

Pay needs NFC to work

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

qirex posted:

every year "oh it'll be out before september this year" people don't get product development like they think apple is still gluing new bits onto the iphone in july the iphone 7 is already done and probably has been for months

there are cash only shops that i avoid going to now because i never carry cash
i think they're losing more business that way than a 2% fee or whatev

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

although a 5S sized phone with touchid as fast as the 6S would own.

please Tim. I would sacrifice my first born son for such a device

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

please Tim. I would sacrifice my first born son for such a device

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

5S can only do Apple Pay if you have an Apple Watch, no NFC hardware in the 5S

Pay needs NFC to work

yeah, that's what i said. thc implied no touch id, i thought xe meant apple pay

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ludwig van Halen posted:

there are cash only shops that i avoid going to now because i never carry cash
i think they're losing more business that way than a 2% fee or whatev

u should clue them in to this new electronic currency that's really catching on, it has no fees and no chargebacks and everything is instant and 100% secured by math. i forget the name, it had something to do with thailand and anuses?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Stymie posted:

always pay cash at service-oriented businesses to ensure that tips can be divided more easily and won't be reduced by credit processing fees

lol if your tip sizes are so small that you you think the cc company taking a few cents will put you below the acceptable tipping amount. for those that don't know how to tip follow these easy steps. say you have been out all night and the bill comes up to 84.73 round up to the nearest 5 or 0. in this example it 85.00 then multiply this by .1 then the result by 2 for a total of 17.00 tip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no money should be taken away from servers for any reason

pay with credit if you must but Always Tip Cash

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mods pls rename thread title to "Charlie Sheen AIDS Watch" tia

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

qirex posted:

No thanks. I'd rather have the miles/points, purchase protection and not have to worry about my money being lost or stolen.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

well opinions vary on the use of it, but it would be nice as a Canadian to be able to use Apple Pay with my Amex. it would be neat I think.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

No thanks. I'd rather have the miles/points, purchase protection and not have to worry about my money being lost or stolen.
                              /

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

lol if your tip sizes are so small that you you think the cc company taking a few cents will put you below the acceptable tipping amount. for those that don't know how to tip follow these easy steps. say you have been out all night and the bill comes up to 84.73 round up to the nearest 5 or 0. in this example it 85.00 then multiply this by .1 then the result by 2 for a total of 17.00 tip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Autistic Tipping Chat Needs Punished. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

lol

thanks smythe
thamythe

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

mishaq posted:

chips are good

https://youtu.be/i2GQjbxN544

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

actually always tip on your card so the servers that Do Labor have them properly reported to the IRS so they can't skirt taxes :smug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
only eat at restaurants that pay all the staff a fair living wage and don't allow tipping

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I just eat

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

creationist believer posted:

only eat at restaurants that pay all the staff a fair living wage and don't allow tipping

time to go to Joe's Crab Shack

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

computer parts posted:

time to go to Joe's Crab Shack

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
credit card fees dont come out of the waiters tips when you laeve them on a card, but they generally are included on the w-2 whereas cash tips have to rely on being declared (although some states require a baseline of 10% of cash sales to be declared unless overidden by a manager). so yeah its more about taxes than anything. i used to prefer getting credit card tips so the restaraunt would just give me cash at the end of my shift and i wouldnt have to make change or w/e

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

grabbing 6S 64GB for $600 CAD on contract next week ///// iughghghg

oh well, thats my next story

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
MacRumors: The Best Task Managers for iOS

:pranke:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol nice Linux phone u got there

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best one is none of them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

try clicking the link lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

carry on then posted:

try clicking the link lmao

i saw that headline and almost died then laffed when I saw the actual article. got punked

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if they released a 4" phone with touchid, nfc, and a newer A8 or A8 processor and in a non-plastic-toy finish we would probably swap both our 6 and 6s for one. maybe wait a year for them to stick 3d touch in it or something.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
apple release the charlie sheen watch

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

if they released a 4" phone with touchid, nfc, and a newer A8 or A8 processor and in a non-plastic-toy finish we would probably swap both our 6 and 6s for one. maybe wait a year for them to stick 3d touch in it or something.

it'd probably be like the 5c so you'd get one and then it wouldn't update for 4 years

which i'm not really willing to bet on if it doesn't have 3d touch

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

it'd probably be like the 5c so you'd get one and then it wouldn't update for 4 years

which i'm not really willing to bet on if it doesn't have 3d touch

pretty much why I mentioned potentially waiting for it. I think 3d touch is just a gimmick at the moment but could see Ive getting obsessed with it to further minimalize the visible UI and make non-3dt devices deal with undocumented buried interfaces for routine functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used 3D Touch once. then I forgot it existed

• Locked thread