Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

What a few weeks in the wasteland can do to a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

i did it guys, i beat fallout

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamnit, who said that you can make people exit their power armor by pickpocketing their core? That is utter bullshit, I pickpocketed Boomer and ran away and he's still in his suit, giving no fucks.

Gerblyn posted:

I've got all the perks and mods, there's literally no way I can find to improve my stealth in terms of gameplay stats without leveling up more, getting legendary gear or tracking down all those magazines. Another possibility is because I'm sneaking outside a lot, which was always harder in these games. I read somewhere that walking through foliage can make noise to alert enemies, so maybe that's it...

I think I saw it under Buildings -> Wood -> Miscellaneous? Not 100% sure though.
You're slow-walking, right? I alert guards all the time when I move too fast while crouching. I think that even with the highest rank, you don't get the "full" bonus unless you're moving slowly.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

khy posted:

That reminds me, all the perks I saw to boost damage were non-automatic. Is there a perk to boost automatic-fire weapons? Also, can someone re-post that bigass perk chart image that i keep forgetting to save?

http://i.imgur.com/Ipbu9Zh.png

This was pre-launch, so I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phenotype posted:

It's early in the game, most players are still learning to play, are armed with the worst gun possible and probably few combat perks, the cover system is never explained, and the enemies can target you perfectly through catwalks while you often can't even see them. Also, note that no one is saying they CAN'T beat it, just that its an awful slog.

The fact that you won't acknowledge any of that is, frankly, kind of hilarious, like you've got so much invested in being "better" than a bunch of internet randoms.

What area what it? Nothing in this game was hard.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hmm. Why can't I paint my entire armor set in Railroad colors? It only seems to be available for my torso.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sandweed posted:

Is there any bubble heads that you can lock yourself out of like in 3?
Maybe if you kill the NPC that unlocks the asylum you'd never get the charisma one. I can't even find the bastard.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Do the Vertibirds ever stop coming after they're introduced? The constant VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR everywhere I go is getting on my nerves and at the moment I'm neither allied or against the BoS.

I kinda like it tbh. Its sweet when you're in a settlement and you hear it coming, and all the settlers start taking pot-shots at the Vertibird as it flies over just as a show of defiance/Bethesda AI biting off more than it can chew.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Glowing Sea and the thing in the Museum of Witchcraft made me use a SHITLOAD of shotgun shells. Luckily I hadn't sold off .38 ammo in a while, and had like 1,500, so that all went back into shells.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phenotype posted:

It's early in the game, most players are still learning to play, are armed with the worst gun possible and probably few combat perks, the cover system is never explained, and the enemies can target you perfectly through catwalks while you often can't even see them. Also, note that no one is saying they CAN'T beat it, just that its an awful slog.

The fact that you won't acknowledge any of that is, frankly, kind of hilarious, like you've got so much invested in being "better" than a bunch of internet randoms.

I don't understand the tears about Corvega, I walked in the front door, killed the dudes. It was no more or less of a slog than literally any other building I've done the same in.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also any bloodbug that does real damage has replaced the Cazadore as my most feared enemy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

The Glowing Sea and the thing in the Museum of Witchcraft made me use a SHITLOAD of shotgun shells. Luckily I hadn't sold off .38 ammo in a while, and had like 1,500, so that all went back into shells.

I just snuck past him. The missile launcher they give you in advance is a deathtrap meant to trick you into thinking it's smart to fight it.

sector_corrector posted:

Also any bloodbug that does real damage has replaced the Cazadore as my most feared enemy.

Worse than Deathclaws, IMO. I'd take a Deathclaw to 4-5 Blood Bugs any day.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

What area what it? Nothing in this game was hard.

corvega, on survival difficulty and poo poo armor with a .38 gun its not super easy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

sector_corrector posted:

Oh well then I have good news for you Bloodbugs aren't even the scariest flying insect in the game.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

RE: Power Armor and Pick Pocketing

Brotherhood doofuses get out of their armor when you steal their cores. Some random non-brotherhood assholes decide they don't give a gently caress about not being able to use VATS in their power armor and stay in it because gently caress you thats why.

Enjoy.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

I don't understand the tears about Corvega, I walked in the front door, killed the dudes. It was no more or less of a slog than literally any other building I've done the same in.

The city it's in has dudes with fat men on catwalks who'll gib you, the front door is near a bunch of cars which will gib you when enemies chuck nades at them and the building is PACKED with raiders and turrets which take a poo poo ton of shooting if it's one of the first quests you're doing.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Brotherhood doofuses get out of their armor when you steal their cores. Some random non-brotherhood assholes decide they don't give a gently caress about not being able to use VATS in their power armor and stay in it because gently caress you thats why.

Enjoy.

I've pick-pocketed bandits in power armor and they get out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hot Jam posted:

corvega, on survival difficulty and poo poo armor with a .38 gun its not super easy.

I think you have an attitude problem, just need to chillax brah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azhais posted:

Corvega is fine except it's a huge pain to navigate.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

coyo7e posted:

Maybe if you kill the NPC that unlocks the asylum you'd never get the charisma one. I can't even find the bastard.

the cabot house quest line takes you inside the asylum to get that booblehead

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Digital_Jesus posted:

Enjoy.

Hang on the suits don't actually need the power cores if you don't use vats?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

Corvega is fine except it's a huge pain to navigate.

Remember to go up, you must travel down.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on the suits don't actually need the power cores if you don't use vats?

Correct.

Theres even a tool-tip explaining to you that you can use the suit without a power core, but it has reduced functionality. No VATS, no Power Attacks.

Cores are not required for the suits to function.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've just picked up Curie as my companion and she is the cutest robot friend. Curie is like the player character, experience-wise, except she actually expresses that she has never seen the post-apocalypse world before unlike Bland McActionHero. I already know that eventually you have the ability to get her a synth body and I don't know if I actually want to do that. It's the same problem as EDI of Mass Effect, where her being put into a human body seems like it undermines the point of the character being expressly not human while still being human-thinking.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 16, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

It's a noted spike in difficulty and the toughest quest for hours before and after. Whether you think it's hard or not, it shouldn't be surprising that it's being talked about.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hemale in pain posted:

The city it's in has dudes with fat men on catwalks who'll gib you, the front door is near a bunch of cars which will gib you when enemies chuck nades at them and the building is PACKED with raiders and turrets which take a poo poo ton of shooting if it's one of the first quests you're doing.

I.. just shot them in the head with a pipe rifle :shrug:

And I always pre-shoot the cars once combat has started. Fo3/NV taught me that you don't hang out near un-detonated cars.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

Correct.

Theres even a tool-tip explaining to you that you can use the suit without a power core, but it has reduced functionality. No VATS, no Power Attacks.

Woah. Presumably you can't use Jetpacks and such mods?
Speaking of which, I can't actually see when the jetpack would be useful compared to other torso mods.
Still gunna shove it into one of my suits when I get the perks though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Digital_Jesus posted:

Correct.

How do you turn off the power core if you don't want to use vats? The best part of the suits is the extra carry weight with the frame or upgrading legs for more weight. All the armor takes up a large amount of weight that is hard to take.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ok Curie havers, you've convinced me to try and get her. Can someone explain the most straightforward way to recruit her? Trying to look it up has led me to one quest that requires another quest and on and on.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

I.. just shot them in the head with a pipe rifle :shrug:

And I always pre-shoot the cars once combat has started. Fo3/NV taught me that you don't hang out near un-detonated cars.

are you playing on survival? the turrets are so tough you need to use frag grenades to kill them, your weapons do like 1/20th of their HP bar at that point.

of course as it's an open world game you could of been there much higher level etc!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Why do people keep dredging up poo poo from hours ago just to try and keep arguing with me?

You keep failing your charisma checks in the thread and can't savescum your way out of it?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Toss all your power cores in a container.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I think you have an attitude problem, just need to chillax brah.

I was just answering your question. I'm sorry if I did that wrong somehow? I am not mad about a corvega.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hemale in pain posted:

are you playing on survival? the turrets are so tough you need to use frag grenades to kill them, your weapons do like 1/20th of their HP bar at that point.

of course as it's an open world game you could of been there much higher level etc!

If you don't use vats you can just shoot that poo poo at clipping range

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Ok Curie havers, you've convinced me to try and get her. Can someone explain the most straightforward way to recruit her? Trying to look it up has led me to one quest that requires another quest and on and on.

Go to Vault 81 and do their simple quest that requires 3 Fusion Cores for entrance. Leave and come back later (I'm not sure how much later) and you'll receive a quest that one of the NPCs you met previously has been bitten by a molerat. Complete that quest to recruit Curie. After her disposition grows towards you she'll give you her "Emergent Behavior" quest.

She's great, enjoy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I didn't realize my spare weapon mods took up .5 units of weight, so I was walking around like 30 pounds heavier because I just never checked that part of my inventory.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deified Data posted:

Go to Vault 81 and do their simple quest that requires 3 Fusion Cores for entrance. Leave and come back later (I'm not sure how much later) and you'll receive a quest that one of the NPCs you met previously has been bitten by a molerat. Complete that quest to recruit Curie. After her disposition grows towards you she'll give you her "Emergent Behavior" quest.

She's great, enjoy.

You might need to do the blood donation "quest" with the doctor to trigger the event quest.

Curie amuses me to no end.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

You might need to do the blood donation "quest" with the doctor to trigger the event quest.

Curie amuses me to no end.

Could be. You might also have to take the kid's tour of the Vault, I'm not sure. That's just how it happened for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Could be. You might also have to take the kid's tour of the Vault, I'm not sure. That's just how it happened for me.

The tour isn't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Andrast posted:

The tour isn't needed.

Yeah, I didn't do the tour the second time I went in there (My only CTD was at the very end of that tour the first time, not doing that again :argh:)

• Locked thread