Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
log says "return to piper" but all i can ask of her is to travel with me.. what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

hemale in pain posted:

are you playing on survival? the turrets are so tough you need to use frag grenades to kill them, your weapons do like 1/20th of their HP bar at that point.

of course as it's an open world game you could of been there much higher level etc!

I'm undecided on survival, it turns everything into bullet sponges and to kill a legendary you have to kill it 150%. The only thing it boosts is the rate of legendary bad guys which will most likely give you metal leg bracers of molerat defense.

With guns the number of bullets you have to buy is outright insane since these legendary items value don't increase and usually don't sell well. If your using stealth melee, difficulty is no matter because you one shot everything and stay invisible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Azhais posted:

You might need to do the blood donation "quest" with the doctor to trigger the event quest.

Curie amuses me to no end.

For me it didn't trigger until I brought back the runaway cat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where is Vault 81? I want a new robot friend.

Also can someone spoil for me if Liberty Prime does anything in this game because watching it do a thing is probably the sole thing having me go all in for the BoS. A yes/no will do.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ChibiSoma posted:

Also, how the gently caress does the lighting system work in this? The downstairs of my house is filled with wires strung between hanging points. I get that they power nearby devices, but is there a way that isn't so ugly? It also doesn't make sense because there isn't a single cable upstairs and all the lights I put up there work, including one that's in a spot on a wall that's nowhere near the downstairs wiring. I have no idea how it's being lit up.

If you put those power conduits on the outside of your house and hook them to a generator, it will power the inside on whatever walls the conduits are on. I just stuck them on the corners of my house (like one on the front, one on the side, one on the very corner edge), wired the conduits to each other and connected it to a generator. You'll probably need a pylon or two as well. I've gotten at least one whole building electrified this way with no wires indoors.

Tenzarin posted:

How do you turn off the power core if you don't want to use vats? The best part of the suits is the extra carry weight with the frame or upgrading legs for more weight. All the armor takes up a large amount of weight that is hard to take.

I can't remember if you can get in a suit without a power core or not. But if not, just use the suit until the core runs down and don't replace it I guess? But if the extra carry weight is something you're after, I don't know if that's what you want because having no fusion core also makes you move slowly (similar to being overencumbered).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I'm undecided on survival, it turns everything into bullet sponges and to kill a legendary you have to kill it 150%. The only thing it boosts is the rate of legendary bad guys which will most likely give you metal leg bracers of molerat defense.

With guns the number of bullets you have to buy is outright insane since these legendary items value don't increase and usually don't sell well. If your using stealth melee, difficulty is no matter because you one shot everything and stay invisible.

Once you get enough upgrades the guns kill enemies super quick even on survival and the scrounger perk makes ammo not a problem!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Who's been to Vault 75? Met some dude called Timothy nearby it who wanted directions to some place I haven't been to yet, he kept walking off while talking to me so the conversation never finished. When I came out of Vault 75, I found a trap and a bunch of landmines I'm sure weren't there before, and Timothy was dead. What up with that?

Also Vault 75 makes it seem like the gunners were supposed to be another faction rather than just better armed raiders.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've had legendaries spawning pretty much constantly on normal difficulty, so I'm not sure if survival is worth it even for that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Defiance Industries posted:

Afaik this is the only part you have to do. I did this, then left for a little while (about 1 ingame day), then came back and talked to the Overseer, who pointed me to where the questgiver was at.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah I think this is actually the first thing that needs to happen. Then the mole rat bite triggers.

Also, tip for that quest: There's only 1 cure to be found. At the end, you pick whether to give it to the kid or permanently have -10 max hp as a 'disease' status effect. However, if you painstakingly savescum and just don't get hit by a vault 81 mole rat EVEN ONE TIME then you won't get the disease and you can give it to the kid and everyone loves you for it and you don't have -10 max hp.

khy posted:

That reminds me, all the perks I saw to boost damage were non-automatic. Is there a perk to boost automatic-fire weapons? Also, can someone re-post that bigass perk chart image that i keep forgetting to save?

You're looking for Commando. I want to say it's under Agility? It's like the second to last column on the right, a couple rows down.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

alphabettitouretti posted:

Who's been to Vault 75? Met some dude called Timothy nearby it who wanted directions to some place I haven't been to yet, he kept walking off while talking to me so the conversation never finished. When I came out of Vault 75, I found a trap and a bunch of landmines I'm sure weren't there before, and Timothy was dead. What up with that?

Also Vault 75 makes it seem like the gunners were supposed to be another faction rather than just better armed raiders.

The Gunners are a bit better fleshed out than the Black Talon mercs from FO3 at least. But still not enough to be accepable IMO.

Their HQ is in the South of the map, in a place called Gunner's Plaza.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Where is Vault 81? I want a new robot friend.

Also can someone spoil for me if Liberty Prime does anything in this game because watching it do a thing is probably the sole thing having me go all in for the BoS. A yes/no will do.

Yes but it isnt as cool as FO3. And its inclusion wasnt really necessary, but meh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dandywalken posted:

Yes but it isnt as cool as FO3. And its inclusion wasnt really necessary, but meh.

Thanks!

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how assigning dudes to my plants works. I have no idea who is assigned to do what in sanctuary. I've removed plants, added plants and assigned people to do poo poo before but I still see some named NPCs farming every once in a while too. I went to abernathy and deleted some tatos and added the same amount of mutfruit back to the farm and they were marked as having people assigned. When I went back to sanctuary to remove some tatos and plant some mutfruit, the mutfruit remained red/unassigned. I have no idea who is assigned to do anything with plants or how many plants each person can handle. This poo poo is a mess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nerolus posted:

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how assigning dudes to my plants works. I have no idea who is assigned to do what in sanctuary. I've removed plants, added plants and assigned people to do poo poo before but I still see some named NPCs farming every once in a while too. I went to abernathy and deleted some tatos and added the same amount of mutfruit back to the farm and they were marked as having people assigned. When I went back to sanctuary to remove some tatos and plant some mutfruit, the mutfruit remained red/unassigned. I have no idea who is assigned to do anything with plants or how many plants each person can handle. This poo poo is a mess.

New settlers who show up get auto-assigned to plants, up to 6 food units worth. If you highlight a settler by looking at them (and can also see the plants, this is shameful) then what they work is highlighted. Other than that they just work stuff around what you told them to up to that limit. You need to tell them again if you delete plants and add new ones.

Yes, it's a lovely system.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

hemale in pain posted:

Once you get enough upgrades the guns kill enemies super quick even on survival and the scrounger perk makes ammo not a problem!

On my completed run, no amount of perks on the guns make killing things faster. I was lvl 75 when I stopped. Did not use scrounger though, that could make a difference.

Strongest weapon for me was a .308 combat rifle, and the ammo was not cheap from the vendor.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 16, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nerolus posted:

Each person can handle up to 6 food, so 6 mutfruits or 12 of the other plants. All I look at is the 'food' number at the top (ticks +6 when a dude is successfully assigned and -6 if I grab the wrong dude) and if I'm assigning a dude I highlight him and look around to make sure he isn't already assigned to something else and that's it.

A management interface would be nice but it's not that fuckin' inscrutable lol.

RBA Starblade posted:

(and can also see the plants, this is shameful)

Yeah that really gets me though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

Each person can handle up to 6 food, so 6 mutfruits or 12 of the other plants. All I look at is the 'food' number at the top and if I'm assigning a dude I highlight him and look around to make sure he isn't already assigned to something else and that's it.

A management interface would be nice but it's not that fuckin' inscrutable lol.

You have to assign people to the scavenging stations, people will auto assign to plants. I wish they would just let them auto assign to anything.

How do you get happiness to 100? The closest I could get was 85, with all lvl 3 shops.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

On my completed run, no amount of perks on the guns make killing things faster. I was lvl 75 when I stopped. Did not use scrounger though, that could make a difference.

Strongest weapon for me was a .308 combat rifle, and the ammo was not cheap form the vendor.

Scrounger does make a difference. I've been finding .308 all over lately and had almost 700 last time I looked. I've also gotten some legendary guns that kill things pretty drat fast, even stuff like deathclaws.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

You have to assign people to the scavenging stations, people will auto assign to plants. I wish they would just let them auto assign to anything.

How do you get happiness to 100? The closest I could get was 85, with all lvl 3 shops.

But you only get caps from the shops if you have un-assigned people milling about (afaik - yeah it's retarded as gently caress haha)! The food auto-assign at least means you can plant poo poo and leave and future immigrants will be fine without you having to go back and fiddle with food every few new settlers.

An option where you can flip auto-assign off/on on certain things like 'food', 'scavenging', 'defense' would be nice.

And idk the max I can manage is like 82-85 also.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

But you only get caps from the shops if you have un-assigned people milling about (afaik - yeah it's retarded as gently caress haha)! The food auto-assign at least means you can plant poo poo and leave and future immigrants will be fine without you having to go back and fiddle with food every few new settlers.

And idk the max I can manage is like 82-85 also.

Hang on thats why I never got caps from the shops? You cant assign people to them to get the caps? thats basically retarded.

Kimmalah posted:

Scrounger does make a difference. I've been finding .308 all over lately and had almost 700 last time I looked. I've also gotten some legendary guns that kill things pretty drat fast, even stuff like deathclaws.

Yea the damage wasnt the issue, it was the drat ammo that just got annoying to maintain. I will try out scrounger this new run I guess.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

khy posted:

Excellent, thank you.

Another question : Why do all my guns feel weak as gently caress.

My 10mm pistol does 22 damage per shot with a hardened receiver but it still takes 5-6 shots to down a single raider. The laser rifle I got from helping the BoS jackass get his transmitter thing does 24 damage per shot making it MARGINALLY better than the 10mm pistol which already doesn't do enough damage. The pipe pistol's damage is significantly worse than either, at like 13 damage per shot. My double-barrel shotgun is better and 2-shots ghouls but the reload sucks on it. I'm not enjoying any of the weapons thus far except maybe the minigun but I don't have nearly enough ammo to use that a lot.
Get some gun damage perks.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blacksmith 3 lets you make dense mods for chest pieces, it cuts explosive damage down to a third of what you'd take normally.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on thats why I never got caps from the shops? You cant assign people to them to get the caps? thats basically retarded.

Yea the damage wasnt the issue, it was the drat ammo that just got annoying to maintain. I will try out scrounger this new run I guess.

You have to assign the one shopkeep settler to get the shop running but after that I think the amount of caps you get is variable both on the happiness of the settlement and the amount of unassigned people wandering about. I could be wrong though, I'm just repeating what someone else told me :)

Tenzarin posted:

Scrounger to at least level 2 is awesome. I had 1400+ rounds of 5.56mm before I even found a gun that could shoot it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I've had this complaint consistently across all Bethesda games - they all have these several tiers of difficulty but none of them offer a truly compelling challenge. Like, make it so this molerat takes a couple more hits to kill, sure, but some new behavior or even just an increased spawn rate would be cool. As you said Bethesda's idea of increased difficulty is spongey enemies, which is only true in the shallowest sense. It makes you spend more caps on bullets and stimpaks and turns the game into a war of attrition as opposed to forcing the player to think of clever new ways of approaching encounters.

That's why I tend to wait for mods before fiddling with the game's difficulty. I tend to keep the games on default difficulty and mod it for increased spawns/enhanced AI later.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

khy posted:

Excellent, thank you.

Another question : Why do all my guns feel weak as gently caress.

My 10mm pistol does 22 damage per shot with a hardened receiver but it still takes 5-6 shots to down a single raider. The laser rifle I got from helping the BoS jackass get his transmitter thing does 24 damage per shot making it MARGINALLY better than the 10mm pistol which already doesn't do enough damage. The pipe pistol's damage is significantly worse than either, at like 13 damage per shot. My double-barrel shotgun is better and 2-shots ghouls but the reload sucks on it. I'm not enjoying any of the weapons thus far except maybe the minigun but I don't have nearly enough ammo to use that a lot.

Everything has different resistances, theres a perk that tells you in vats. But like mutants are strong versus lasers and plasma. Robots are weak to lasers and plasma. Humans are weak to radiation but radiation on mutants/ghouls/bugs heals them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

I've had this complaint consistently across all Bethesda games - they all have these several tiers of difficulty but none of them offer a truly compelling challenge. Like, make it so this molerat takes a couple more hits to kill, sure, but some new behavior or even just an increased spawn rate would be cool. As you said Bethesda's idea of increased difficulty is spongey enemies, which is only true in the shallowest sense. It makes you spend more caps on bullets and stimpaks and turns the game into a war of attrition as opposed to forcing the player to think of clever new ways of approaching encounters.

That's why I tend to wait for mods before fiddling with the game's difficulty. I tend to keep the games on default difficulty and mod it for increased spawns/enhanced AI later.

Yeah idk why people bother punishing themselves with survival difficulty and stuff. The AI is the same, everything is the same except +damage and HP sponges.

My difficulty ideal is very high damage weapons, low HP pools across the board (so it feels more dangerous to get into a shooting fight), and maybe some increased spawns. For FO4 in particular I'd have to lower the amount of fat mans and missiles though because wow.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 16, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Bethesda can't make a satisfying AI on any difficulty so tying new behavior to difficulty settings just doesn't make sense. Also, the consoles can barely handle the game as it is so increasing spawns would just make it perform (even more) like poo poo on them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah idk why people bother punishing themselves with survival difficulty and stuff. The AI is the same, everything is the same except +damage and HP sponges.

You get more legendary bad guy spawns, which give you legendary armor/weapons which is randomly rolled. This is the cool part.

My favorite part of the game are the enemies with grenades. They only throw a few of them at you.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I still have to buy the ammo I use the most often. But it's better than having to buy 3-4 types because I'm running out of everything.

Tenzarin posted:

You get more legendary bad guy spawns, which give you legendary armor/weapons which is randomly rolled. This is the cool part.

Legendary spawns really aren't rare on normal difficulty though. I sometimes get 2 or more in one group of enemies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

My favorite part of the game are the enemies with grenades. They only throw a few of them at you.

Eh that's cool but are there really good loot variations?

I feel like 95% of the legendary stuff I pick up is garbage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tenzarin posted:

Are you saying I could get more crippling walking canes and vats enhanced pipe wrenches?!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've liked hard difficulty so far. Decent amount of challenge, stuff that's my level tends to take 2 or 3 shots to kill and can still kill me if I get careless, and I get about 1 legendary every 45 minutes or so. Also ask me how loving salty I am that I got a legendary sniper rifle that did +50% damage to humans, and my game froze entering VATs.

Related: is there stuff worth exploring in the glowing sea outside of the main quest points of interest? It's a cool area, and I'd go back there to loot some poo poo, if the expenditure in ammo was worth it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there a quest somewhere that sends you into Quincy? I couldn't turn away after I got shot at with a Fat Man, and now I'm reading terminal logs and it seems like this is the town that Preston Garvey and the Sanctuary crew got kicked out of.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

Eh that's cool but are there really good loot variations?

I feel like 95% of the legendary stuff I pick up is garbage.

Yea that is basically the point.

sector_corrector posted:

Related: is there stuff worth exploring in the glowing sea outside of the main quest points of interest? It's a cool area, and I'd go back there to loot some poo poo, if the expenditure in ammo was worth it.

There's alot of points out there, found two suits of power armor but nothing cool like a unique named legendary items.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 16, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Increasing the difficulty and having to deal with terrible bullet-sponge enemies to get more drops that (potentially) make the difficulty trivial again seems pretty stupid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Andrast posted:

Increasing the difficulty and having to deal with terrible bullet-sponge enemies to get more drops that (potentially) make the difficulty trivial again seems pretty stupid.

Well if you had an item with infinite ammo drop for you....

sector has a point about hard mode, just wiggle it so things dont die in one hit or one hundred hits.

It is just a single player game with the console and all the commands to cheat are known, after all. You need to stream or screenshot your bases to show off, its basically what you are ok with doing yourself. There is also no achievements for difficulty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Where are these bullet sponge enemies you guys keep referencing? Playing on hard difficulty, the only enemies that take more than a couple headshots to drop are the ones that are SUPPOSED to be difficult to kill. Stuff like Glowing Ones, or Death Claws, or the occasional legendary enemy.

If stuff feels bullet spongey I'd guess you're probably underleveled.

Let me qualify this by saying that I'm "only" about 20 hours in so maybe this changes at some point.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Tenzarin posted:

Well if you had an item with infinite ammo drop for you....

sector has a point about hard mode, just wiggle it so things dont die in one hit or one hundred hits.

It is just a single player game with the console and all the commands to cheat are known, after all. You need to stream or screenshot your bases to show off, its basically what you are ok with doing yourself. There is also no achievements for difficulty.

Infinite ammo just means no reloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you consider the enemies in Fallout 4 to be bullet sponges I can't imagine how you'd react to the poo poo in Borderlands...

• Locked thread