Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Heh, Card Against Humanity + Petrified Poop + an OK ish Luck score = around 80-odd money at the end of the Basement in Greed mode. So many poops means the odds of some of them dropping Nickels and DImes are pretty good :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
"Marked" is one of those items that I'm becoming a little reluctant to pick up, especially if I don't have any other items that override it. It's a cool idea but man is it hard to use. The Tears Up it gives is a nice boost at least.

On the other hand, picking up Marked as Lilith seems to result in a multiplicative tear fire rate akin to Soy Milk, except without any drawbacks. This somehow makes Lilith even more ridiculous than she already is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Office Thug posted:

"Marked" is one of those items that I'm becoming a little reluctant to pick up, especially if I don't have any other items that override it. It's a cool idea but man is it hard to use. The Tears Up it gives is a nice boost at least.

On the other hand, picking up Marked as Lilith seems to result in a multiplicative tear fire rate akin to Soy Milk, except without any drawbacks. This somehow makes Lilith even more ridiculous than she already is.

Yeah Marked fucks with how I play this game so hard.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It feels like Marked is a less-good Ludovico, to me. You have to change your playstyle in a similar fashion but the payoff isn't as great.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I have been one-shot through Holy Mantle twice today with the Lost when I had brimstone. Mom's stomp and one of those irritating spike trap rooms in Necropolis. Fuckin' hell.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Geight posted:

It feels like Marked is a less-good Ludovico, to me. You have to change your playstyle in a similar fashion but the payoff isn't as great.

It's way worse because with Ludovico what you see is where you hit. With Marked you have to lead moving targets while firing from a moving platform, and sometimes you lose the crosshair and have to spend precious seconds bringing it back (which can be a problem especially in 2x2 or the L block rooms).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Thanks for the tips and is there any mod that can give me a wiki description of items in game cause I have the memory of a goldfish?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Invalid Validation posted:

Thanks for the tips and is there any mod that can give me a wiki description of items in game cause I have the memory of a goldfish?

Just have this to alt-tab to every time http://platinumgod.co.uk/

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth

A pretty nice quick reference with a feature to type in a partial or full item name/description and dim out the ones that don't include those words.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

This should work. Been needing to find one of these mods myself anyway, since the one I used to use isn't going to be updated for Afterbirth.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'm confused about the new stuff -- are people really filling the Greed machine to 999 coins just by playing through many times? Or is there some farming technique I'm not aware of?

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

legoman727 posted:

I have been one-shot through Holy Mantle twice today with the Lost when I had brimstone. Mom's stomp and one of those irritating spike trap rooms in Necropolis. Fuckin' hell.

Those things are all very quick multi-hit items, not single hits. I think Brimstone hits something like 16 times over the course of it's duration.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm confused about the new stuff -- are people really filling the Greed machine to 999 coins just by playing through many times? Or is there some farming technique I'm not aware of?

First they used shovel but that was patched. I guess you can still use glowing hour glass? Or just gently caress it and use cheatengine.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

Jusupov posted:

gently caress it and use cheatengine.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
What's the deal with the weird first wave you sometimes get in Sheol in Greed Mode? It looks like a buncha beady little eyes looking at you from the floor, that then disappear without doing anything.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Jusupov posted:

First they used shovel but that was patched. I guess you can still use glowing hour glass? Or just gently caress it and use cheatengine.

Is cheatengine available for the Macintosh operating system?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just got to Greed with 65 coins. machine spawned inside the statue. gently caress you too, game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Qylvaran posted:

Just got to Greed with 65 coins. machine spawned inside the statue. gently caress you too, game.

Quit out and continue the game, the statue will be gone.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Started a run with just a goat head from the curse room. Somehow managed to kill hush with barely and damage and ended up in this situation

Half a heart left and the door closed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCR3vHgTgc

Quite satisfied with the end result even though I forgot to use the tower card :(

Hah, and I thought I was clever for bringing a rune bag and jera runes in and doing this:

Still ended up beating Mega Satan extremely fast.

Also I've been playing the hell out of this game. When Afterbirth came out I had one random hard mode marker and very few normal mode markers, and well...

http://imgur.com/a/ACFra

Now to unlock the mantle for the lost and also unlock the keeper, then get their marks as well.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CJacobs posted:

Quit out and continue the game, the statue will be gone.

Additionally, the greed machine tries to spawn a short distance above your character unless you're too far up in the room, so next time put some distance between you and Ultra Greed while he's in his dying animation and make sure he isn't directly above you.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Got Dr. Fetus on today's daily, and made the mistake of picking up loki's horns. Combined with the insane amount of money and luck ups from coins and bags of poo poo it started triggering on what felt like a third to a half of the shots. Luckily I had a stack of soul hearts and I eventually suicided in the Dark Room from the tedium.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was so tired of getting shat on in this game, but then it gave me the best run i'll ever have.

NCFX NPGF

Samson - glitter bombs, scatter bombs, curse of the tower, the shield, toxic bombs, sooo many damage items, CHAOS, max money and bombs, sack head, and the fruitcake. If you want to have a fun, bombastic run, here ya go. Also, yum heart is amazing with Samson.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 17, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I like Marked in Hush runs, lets you focus on dodging the bullets.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I liked getting marked on the last floor, it makes the final bosses and mega satan a breeze.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I never really worked on any of the challenges and I figure I should prioritize those, next. What are the funner/more important ones to do first?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In terms of reward quality: High Brow, Waka Waka, and The Family Man are my top three.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm a fan of the golden bombs that you get for doing Blue Bomber, as far as Afterbirth challenges go. But the runes from the Rebirth challenges are all (mostly) super-handy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Edmund please stop trolling me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MacNzbqkfL4

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Did you know that bombing a dead shopkeeper has a chance of initiating a Greed fight? Because I just found out about that the hard way.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I never really worked on any of the challenges and I figure I should prioritize those, next. What are the funner/more important ones to do first?

Computer Whiz or whichever that starts you with both lasers and spoon bender.

Also, Tech .5 is pretty nice.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm filling out cards right now (still need Mega Satan on Magdalene, Mega Satan/Hush on Eve/Lazarus/Lost, and all the Keeper stuff) and I forgot how boring Lazarus is as a character. Why in the world doesn't he start with a Suicide King or something?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Did you know that bombing a dead shopkeeper has a chance of initiating a Greed fight? Because I just found out about that the hard way.

I've gotten a Steam Sale to drop from the Greed like 2/5 times this has happened iirc

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

flatluigi posted:

Computer Savvy is super easy and really fun.

The runes for High Brow, Darkness Falls, The Tank, Solar System, and Cat Got Your Tongue? are all really good. The first two are significantly easier.

Demo Man and Cursed! both give really useful cards.

Waka Waka and The Host unlock good items. The Family Man is pretty rough but unlocks probably the best of all the challenge items.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sometimes the game just wants you to win. Started as Lilith Very first item was Holy Mantle, which gave me free Curse Rooms witch let me cheese the Devil Beggar on the first floor, going in and out as I got heart drops, to get the double item drop page and two Pretty Fly pills. More or less facerolled my way to It Lives after that. Was looking pretty bleak after that and some of the fights in the Sheol, but (and this is probably the only time I will ever say this) I went the wrong way and an enemy blew open the super secret room in it which had a fortune machine which spat out a handful of soul hearts and a pair of Jera runes, doubling my soul heart gain. Was again looking bleak in the Dark Room...until I found another fortune machine and repeated the trick with my second Jera rune.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Man, I really wish I got Lilith's completion marks done before her nerf. She feels so bleh now. Trying to work with off center tears isn't that fun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It takes a bit of getting used to but I really don't find it that bad. If anything it helps me dodge a lot of times because of the off-center shot.

Also, Afterbirth has buffed Envy! If you have Serpent's Kiss seeing Envy or Super Envy are actively good things since they'll drop piles upon piles of black hearts.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Alkydere posted:

It takes a bit of getting used to but I really don't find it that bad. If anything it helps me dodge a lot of times because of the off-center shot.

Also, Afterbirth has buffed Envy! If you have Serpent's Kiss seeing Envy or Super Envy are actively good things since they'll drop piles upon piles of black hearts.

Maw of the Void also turns Envy/Super Envy/Teratoma/any asteroids-type monster into a giant fountain of free black hearts. It's a crazy good item, but it does not work if you're blindfolded, as I found out to my dismay during an otherwise great Lilith run.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Man, I really wish I got Lilith's completion marks done before her nerf. She feels so bleh now. Trying to work with off center tears isn't that fun.

Honestly...get hit more. Her other familiars that can spawn are really good, especially succubus. I still like her.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Picked Experimental treatment as ???, died.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Marked seems like it would be a really great power up if this game had mouse support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

And that's the last of the completion marks. :woop:

I kind of like The Keeper. I mean yeah, it can be difficult to survive, but after you unlock Wooden Nickel it's rather easy to get loads of money. Definitely a more playable character than Lost w/o Holy Mantle.