Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Where are these bullet sponge enemies you guys keep referencing? Playing on hard difficulty, the only enemies that take more than a couple headshots to drop are the ones that are SUPPOSED to be difficult to kill. Stuff like Glowing Ones, or Death Claws, or the occasional legendary enemy.

If stuff feels bullet spongey I'd guess you're probably underleveled.

Let me qualify this by saying that I'm "only" about 20 hours in.

Increasing the difficulty option literally just decreases the damage you do and increases the damage enemies do (along with the extra legendary spawns). On survival you do 50% damage. Giving every enemy essentially double health makes bullet sponges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PantsBandit posted:

Where are these bullet sponge enemies you guys keep referencing? Playing on hard difficulty, the only enemies that take more than a couple headshots to drop are the ones that are SUPPOSED to be difficult to kill. Stuff like Glowing Ones, or Death Claws, or the occasional legendary enemy.

If stuff feels bullet spongey I'd guess you're probably underleveled.

Let me qualify this by saying that I'm "only" about 20 hours in so maybe this changes at some point.

Legendary enemies "mutate" at 50% hp back to 100% hp. If you are using not your best gun it takes alot of hits. More legendaries but not bullet sponges would be fun but on normal its not hard to one shot them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah idk why people bother punishing themselves with survival difficulty and stuff. The AI is the same, everything is the same except +damage and HP sponges.

My difficulty ideal is very high damage weapons, low HP pools across the board (so it feels more dangerous to get into a shooting fight), and maybe some increased spawns. For FO4 in particular I'd have to lower the amount of fat mans and missiles though because wow.

Yeah, I've always liked the idea of being able to hurt the enemy as much as they can hurt you, which applies broadly to raiders, mercs, some mutants, etc. The player should never feel like they're on equal footing with a deathclaw, courser, behemoth, etc. I actually feel like FO4 made these enemies a bit weak - the true threats in this game are swarms of darting insects or unseen enemies with a Fatman.

I loved the way Skyrim's Deadly Dragons mod and Deadly Monsters extension let you tweak the difficulty for individual enemy types, letting you make bandits a bit weaker, dragons a lot stronger, whatever you needed for the game to feel "right" to you. In FO4 I have never died to a Deathclaw or Behemoth - it's always some raider gently caress with explosives who can snipe me with it from a mile away before I even know he exists.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tenzarin posted:

Well if you had an item with infinite ammo drop for you....

sector has a point about hard mode, just wiggle it so things dont die in one hit or one hundred hits. It is just a single player game with the console and all the commands to cheat are known.

The "unlimited" weapons aren't infinite ammo, just infinite clip size so you never have to reload. I hope there isn't an actual infinite ammo variation because that would be more stupidly game breaking than my wounding smg

PantsBandit posted:

Where are these bullet sponge enemies you guys keep referencing? Playing on hard difficulty, the only enemies that take more than a couple headshots to drop

Everything is super weak to headshots. Things take an eternity to kill on high-difficulty bethesda games if you aren't just headsniping at all times

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I used to hate glowing ones for being bullet sponge assholes but than I realized their limbs are made of tissue paper and you're expected to disable them before beating their heads in with a bat.

Now its a lot more cathartic to fight them

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
This may be a supremely stupid question, but how do I actually benefit from improving my settlements? Is it just meant to be a time waster, or do you get some kind of rewards for doing it? Other than piles of tatos.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Motherfucker posted:

I used to hate glowing ones for being bullet sponge assholes but than I realized their limbs are made of tissue paper and you're expected to disable them before beating their heads in with a bat.

I used to hate glowing ones then I got le fusil terribles

MY ABACUS! posted:

This may be a supremely stupid question, but how do I actually benefit from improving my settlements? Is it just meant to be a time waster, or do you get some kind of rewards for doing it? Other than piles of tatos.

Pretty much just piles of things to sell. Next playthrough I'm probably going to find a settlement with easy water access and no default people and just build a massive water farm there then ignore the whole process other than building a power armor garage someplace.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Playing on very hard and nothing really feels bullet spongey outside of the obvious boss enemies marked by the big skulls. Almost everything dies in two hits too my super sledge. Sometimes I oneshot legendary enemies so they don't even get a chance to mutate. I'm not saying the difficulty is great but I feel like people are complaining about bullet sponge enemies too much because they are going too places they shouldn't be at lower levels. I know survival cuts your damage in half but that still wouldn't make enemies has ridiculously tanky as they have been in some of their past games.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MY ABACUS! posted:

you can turn the tatos into glue so you can build more poo poo. But no it's pretty useless. Supposedly there is artillery but I have a fat man so gently caress no I'm not building you a chair.

Also lol at people bitching about glowing ones. Shoot it's legs out and watch it flop around for a bit before putting it out of it's misery. If you get a bonus limb damage weapon do that poo poo to deathclaws too.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Azhais posted:

I used to hate glowing ones then I got le fusil terribles

It's stupidly good.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah I like that although I renamed mine Kneecaps because gently caress the french.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why does Piper keep falling on her rear end mid-sentence?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not saying the difficulty is great but I feel like people are complaining about bullet sponge enemies too much because they are going too places they shouldn't be at lower levels.

You can go anywhere in the game at whatever level you are, its all leveled to you. I just walked the world nothing was hard to kill. It is definity more than just 50% dmg because that would mean, it would make 2 hits tops to kill poo poo, its goes up to like 20.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MY ABACUS! posted:

Settlers will (slowly) scavenge random junk on their own and add it to your workshop to be used as crafting materials, which can be sped up by building scavenging stands and assigning them to it. Additionally, having small farms of tatos, corn and mutfruit is pretty much the best source of adhesive (through combining them into starch at a cooking station), which is among the most important crafting materials out there. Finally, building having trading stands in populous settlements will supposedly give you a regular income in bottlecaps, though I don't know how you'd actually collect that.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm supposed to go check on Virgil but He's hostile to me. No idea why. He's a human now, I gave him the serum. But he shoots me.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Anybody got a good starting stealth melee build? Basically I want to sneak up to people and kill them with a baseball bat

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MY ABACUS! posted:

Time waster aside from the nearly infinite Purified Water which you can use for healing/infinite caps. You don't have to do much for that just build a shitton of high tier water purifiers at Sanctuary. The Artillery sucks, have to get too close to deploy it and it either kills you or what you are trying to artillery kills you before it lands.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

You can go anywhere in the game at whatever level you are, its all leveled to you. I just walked the world nothing was hard to kill. It is definity more than just 50% dmg because that would mean, it would make 2 hits tops to kill poo poo, its goes up to like 20.

That's not actually true. There are regions with different enemy level ranges in the game. The difficulty mostly goes up the further south you go.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Perestroika posted:

Settlers will (slowly) scavenge random junk on their own and add it to your workshop to be used as crafting materials, which can be sped up by building scavenging stands and assigning them to it. Additionally, having small farms of tatos, corn and mutfruit is pretty much the best source of adhesive (through combining them into starch at a cooking station), which is among the most important crafting materials out there. Finally, building having trading stands in populous settlements will supposedly give you a regular income in bottlecaps, though I don't know how you'd actually collect that.

To receive bonus food you have to produce over your population cap. Every day a villager is allowed to eat 1 weight of food and 1 weight of water. You better enjoy your daily allowance of 2 tatos.

Andrast posted:

That's not actually true. There are regions with different enemy level ranges in the game. The difficulty mostly goes up the further south you go.

Never noticed it, walked everywhere. I was lvl 57 before I entered diamond city.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
So, just set up water purifiers and don't worry about the rest of it, eh?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Perestroika posted:

Finally, building having trading stands in populous settlements will supposedly give you a regular income in bottlecaps, though I don't know how you'd actually collect that.

I finally found that yesterday- it just gets dumped into the workshop. Check your "misc" tab. My 3 shops in an 18 pop town have given me a total of 400 caps over a couple weeks of gametime. If I play it another in-game year they might actually recoup the caps needed to build the emporiums in the first place!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Digital_Jesus posted:

Correct.

Theres even a tool-tip explaining to you that you can use the suit without a power core, but it has reduced functionality. No VATS, no Power Attacks.

Cores are not required for the suits to function.

Wait what is a power attack? I've just been whacking poo poo with a stun baton for huge damage

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Walrus posted:

Wait what is a power attack? I've just been whacking poo poo with a stun baton for huge damage

Hold down a different button, did they ever talk to the skyrim team about power attacks? The hold another button seemed really stupid.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Walrus posted:

You know the button you use to throw a grenade? That's the power attack button. You just hold it for a shorter length of time. How much shorter? The indication that you've held it for too long is your character exploding.

Such a great key binding.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just realised you can force someone out of their power armour by shooting the fusion core from a distance. This changes everything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Chalks posted:

You know the button you use to throw a grenade? That's the power attack button. You just hold it for a shorter length of time.

Such a great key binding. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

You wont believe what happens if you in power armor and meleeing and you have the perk that can shoot the fusion core out like a grenade.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chalks posted:

You know the button you use to throw a grenade? That's the power attack button. You just hold it for a shorter length of time. How much shorter? The indication that you've held it for too long is your character exploding.

Such a great key binding.

You don't hold the button at all, you just press the "power attack" button. There is a bit of a wind up and it can be interrupted, but the button does not need to be held.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Frankston posted:

I just realised you can force someone out of their power armour by shooting the fusion core from a distance. This changes everything.

Do you get to steal their power armour if you do this or does it just flop on the floor like it does if you kill them in it?

chaosapiant posted:

You don't hold the button at all, you just press the "power attack" button. There is a bit of a wind up and it can be interrupted, but the button does not need to be held.

They could improve this feature by binding power attack to literally any other key on the entire keyboard.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I watched my turrets take out a small raider attack on sanctuary but I missed one raider hiding against my wall with a pool cue, so I fast traveled away, I later got the message that I failed to defend sanctuary and lost 8 settlers to that guy with a pool cue.

On another note, besides the vault suit, can any other armors have the actual good armor equipped over them?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not saying the difficulty is great but I feel like people are complaining about bullet sponge enemies too much because they are going too places they shouldn't be at lower levels.

I don't think it's so much where you're going as it is a combination of your luck on loot and/or speccing for upgrades. It took ~40 hours before the game dropped a good shotgun for me but I probably could have modded my own if I'd known in advance where points should go. It also feels like everything does the full speed sideways run all over the place more than earlier games.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

Do you get to steal their power armour if you do this or does it just flop on the floor like it does if you kill them in it?

I shot the core till it was at 0%, the guy carried on walking for a few seconds and then got out of his suit. I was able to put a new core in it and steal the whole thing, frame and all.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I watched my turrets take out a small raider attack on sanctuary but I missed one raider hiding against my wall with a pool cue, so I fast traveled away, I later got the message that I failed to defend sanctuary and lost 8 settlers to that guy with a pool cue.

On another note, besides the vault suit, can any other armors have the actual good armor equipped over them?

Brotherhood of steel suit, road leathers, almost anything with the word "Uniform" in it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Frankston posted:

I shot the core till it was at 0%, the guy carried on walking for a few seconds and then got out of his suit. I was able to put a new core in it and steal the whole thing, frame and all.

Holy poo poo my power suit collection is about to grow significantly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chalks posted:

I already have enough suits that everyone camped out at the castle could hop in a spare set to defend the place, not really sure I need more (as if that'll stop me :negative:)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Vault 81. COMBES BAD PEOPLE

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He killed them all with a single thrust because they all ran outside of the walls and gates you build for your settlers to hide behind or use like a fortification.

Serious I spend time and resources building walls completely around my bases making a choke point at the entrance.

When I finally get to take part in a raid, everyone runs right outside and starts shooting with no care about cover or staying safe.

Raiders that couldn't find the gate because they just run into the wall and cant move anymore, just start throwing infinity grenades over the wall for ever. I guess I should of figured this is how it would be.

I even put the flamethrower trap at the bridge like they showed during the video at e3, no raiders ever run over that bridge.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 16, 2015

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

Yeah. Just tried it on another guy in a power suit and it worked again. Difficult to do if you're close to them however as they are looking at you at all times so you can't get a clear shot at the back. Easiest when they don't know you're there.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
How do you use stored mods? Like, I found a stealthboy and some random rifle mods - but if I try to equip either on applicable stuff it still tries to use the mats for them, even though they're stored in the workshop.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When it's Christmas ingame Diamond City puts up a Christmas tree and lights! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So uh, without much in the way of spoilers, can anyone point me in the direction of a build where I am not completely gimping myself but can still do all the charisma/settlement stuff?

• Locked thread