Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

brucio posted:

How are Brad Wall's prospects in next spring's provincial election? Any credible challenge?

As someone who lives in this province I can safely say he will re-elected with no problem.

Which sucks because gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's really dumb because it feeds right into the narrative that ISIS act like random mad dogs, rather than having a very targeted media strategy in their symbolics choices on what to attack. Like anybody is going to give a poo poo if Saskatoon, or Regina, gets hit. The global community would have to be aware Saskatchewan even exists for them to be a target.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PKP also hopping on to the refugee-stopping train, asking for an emergency debate in the Assemblée Nationale. Couillard has been really great about insisting that Québec take some in :unsmith:.

brucio posted:

How are Brad Wall's prospects in next spring's provincial election? Any credible challenge?

The opposition is hoping real hard for a double-digit number of seats!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sedge and Bee posted:

It's really dumb because it feeds right into the narrative that ISIS act like random mad dogs, rather than having a very targeted media strategy in their symbolics choices on what to attack. Like anybody is going to give a poo poo if Saskatoon, or Regina, gets hit. The global community would have to be aware Saskatchewan even exists for them to be a target.

Honestly, I think smaller cities are going to be increasingly targeted as larger cities are more secured. Symbolism is nice, but I think Daesh equally want to spread fear everywhere -- that's why they hit a concert and a restaurant in addition to a football match they found symbolic. That doesn't change the fact that there's no specific reason to be concerned about refugees coming to Saskatchewan, or anywhere else in Canada. Unlike Europe, refugees can't just show up here, so we are in the lucky position of being able to accept whichever refugees we like. No passport, or we suspect it's forged? gently caress off! Questionable connections to people involved with terrorist groups? So sad; please proceed to Europe. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, either; we'd still be helping legitimate, desperate refugees, we'd just be stacking the odds even further in our favour.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Don't worry Brad Wall, there's no chance that Syrian refugees (or anyone) wants to go to Saskatchewan, even to attack it.

What if he's just worried about them radicalizing once they realize that they have to live in Saskatchewan?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

They targeted Paris itself, and an event were the president was attending. It's not fear they want, it's backlash that lends credence to the idea of a clash of civilizations, and core to that is targeting things that produce a big splash in the media. This is literally spelled out and explained in Management of Savagery, the manifesto that Al-Qaeda in Iraq put out in 2004. This is the group that morphs into Daesh after Syria collapses. We have had their playbook for over a decade and still respond to their provocations like puppets on strings.

And besides, Canada has done biometric intake and security screenings on refugee applicants since the 1990's. We have procedures for people without proper documentation. People have no idea what they're talking about when they talk about refugees, they think we just hand out plane tickets to random people in the camps.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 16, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gorau posted:

Consult doesn't mean veto. It may just be just and FYI session or something similar. Personally I think we should buy the Rafale. If we play our cards right we might be able to get a half price Mistral built and our home built abortion of a joint support ship can go back to being a dedicated supply ship rather then a hybrid supply/troop transport.

I'm pretty sure Trudeau is giving Obama a heads up on the whole "we aren't buying the lovely planes" thing.

PT6A posted:

Honestly, I think smaller cities are going to be increasingly targeted as larger cities are more secured. Symbolism is nice, but I think Daesh equally want to spread fear everywhere -- that's why they hit a concert and a restaurant in addition to a football match they found symbolic. That doesn't change the fact that there's no specific reason to be concerned about refugees coming to Saskatchewan, or anywhere else in Canada. Unlike Europe, refugees can't just show up here, so we are in the lucky position of being able to accept whichever refugees we like. No passport, or we suspect it's forged? gently caress off! Questionable connections to people involved with terrorist groups? So sad; please proceed to Europe. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, either; we'd still be helping legitimate, desperate refugees, we'd just be stacking the odds even further in our favour.

A lot of small cities would be better targets to that would be super hard to protect. Blowing up one of the Seaways dams or controls would do a hell of a lot of damage.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I wonder how much a plan to do something like that would cost the RCMP.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

jm20 posted:

They should also start by burning clean coal immediately.

I agree; they should also start leveraging the incredible generating capacity of unicorns as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Banh mi are the best sandwich and I can't find a good one in New Westminster :(

If you're ever downtown and can avoid the temptation of Japadog right next door, Viet Sub is really good. Otherwise, the stretch of East Hastings near the PNE is full of really good Vietnamese places that can satisfy your Pho and Banh Mi needs. However I can't help you with your New West problem...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eej posted:

Viet Sub

It rules, been there, I just need a place closer to home now!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't know whats meant by larger cities being more "secured". It would be literally impossible without a massive investment and/or grinding everything to a halt. The skytrain runs with minimal patrols and supervision most of the time, you can freeze the entire system by throwing some debris onto the tracks, and those trains carry 400~ people...

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I assume that Brad Wall has provided the threat assessment for the current inhabitants of Saskatchewan before asking for this.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ISIS please attack Investors Group Field in Winnipeg so we can get an actual decent stadium that is all season,

thx in advance

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fried Watermelon posted:

ISIS please attack Investors Group Field in Winnipeg so we can get an actual decent stadium that is all season,

thx in advance

The average CFL fanatic is an orangutan who, for some bizarre reason, actually takes pride in the fact that sitting through playoff games is always loving miserable and lovely. And they wonder why more people don't go to the games and support the league (in cities with literally anything else to do, at least).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cross-post from the Paris Attacks thread: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-a6736471.html

TL;DR: A "Syrian passport" with the same details as the one found on one of the attackers, but a different picture, was found on a man arrested in Serbia today. So, uh, there's that. Guess it's not refugees that are trying to kill us after all, Brad Wall you miserable gently caress.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
As I understand the three suicide bombers were all planning to hit the stadium. Their vests were linked and when one of them was found out at the security screening at the stadium he detonated triggering the other two. None of the three were in planned positions. As a result they didn't cause that much damage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fried Watermelon posted:

thx in advance

They should have kept the original and just spent the money renovating it. gently caress IGF - never going there. I hear it would have been cheaper to do that as well instead of building that (nice looking) stadium.

"Hmmm, we have a great area that is central to Winnipeg and everyone can get in and out with ease -- lets put it in the south end and bottleneck the roads to exist since 75% of the people are heading one direction!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Craft brewery pulling out of Alberta because of new ndp tax .

So close 5o canpol bingo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

May God smite the NDP with great vengeance and furious anger if good craft brewers like MacAuslan or DDC pull out of the Alberta market as a result.

Either that or DDC should set up a brewpub here in Calgary to take advantage of the benefits for local brewers in the new tax structure. Also, it should be less than 100 feet away from where I live.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hey look what just bubbled to the top of Global News. An article from June about a "medium" terrorism threat

quote:

An internal report obtained by Global News classifies the terror threat level in Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal and the Greater Toronto Area at “medium.”

Medium means an individual or group has the capability and intent to carry out an attack – an act of terrorism “could occur.”

Calgary and Halifax rank “low.”

The difference?

A “low” threat level means and individual or group has the capability or intent to carry out an act of terrorism – it’s “possible but unlikely.”
Security expert David Hyde says the medium level does not mean the threat is critical – but it is elevated.

“It is cause for scrutiny, it is cause to be on guard, but it’s not cause for concern that there’s anything imminent that’s going to happen around the corner as far as authorities know,” he said.

The report mentions specific threats:

In British Columbia, “single source intelligence” shows a potential plot originating from an ISIS-linked group in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region may be targeting a Canadian Forces base.
In Fort McMurray, “radicalized” people may be attempting to get jobs in the oilsands to raise money to fight with ISIS.
In Montreal, the arrests of allegedly radicalized teens are noted. There is no imminent threat, but the report warns “extremists could develop plots if prevented from travelling.”
The most likely attack scenarios for all cities “would involve small arms, IEDs, bladed weapons, or other simple attack methods,” carried out by lone-wolves or small groups inspired by ISIS.

Asked about the threat assessments, a government spokesman told Global News, “the threat is real,” and pointed to the recently-passed anti-terror bill C-51.

“That is why our Government has passed the Anti-terrorism Act, 2015, to ensure that our police forces have the tools they need to combat the evolving threat of terrorism,” Jean-Christophe de Le Rue said in an email.

The report also highlights the vulnerability of events like Canada Day, the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the upcoming Pan Am games in Toronto.

At this point, the threat level is “low,” although there will be a new assessment each week.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Strange move by McAuslan to pull out of all three provinces because of tax changes in one of them.

It just means more opportunity for local brewers (the demand isn't going to go down), so I don't even think this is all that bad for Albertans.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Shawarma Rosana at Canterbury and Arch, man. Dope.
i believe it. ottawa south is where its at for shawarma

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Jordan7hm posted:

Strange move by McAuslan to pull out of all three provinces because of tax changes in one of them.

It just means more opportunity for local brewers (the demand isn't going to go down), so I don't even think this is all that bad for Albertans.

That's what always makes me laugh about people who knee jerk with "WELL I'M LEAVING NOW SEE WHO WILL DO (Thing)" completely forgetting that they're not the only person capable of doing (Thing). You've just packed up and moved (at your own expense) and now allowed someone else less retarded to come in and steal your market.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It was Muskoka not McAuslan

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Slightly Toasted posted:

What if he's just worried about them radicalizing once they realize that they have to live in Saskatchewan?

He needn't worry. Sudden death due to sheer despair is a far likelier outcome.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
When the NDP took power in Ontario in 1990 there were businesses taking out ads in the Wall Street Journal telling Americans not to invest in Ontario. Businesses will go quite far to score political points against a party that they perceive is threatening their power.

Ikantski posted:

I think it's accurate. I'm not genuinely alarmed. Or alarmed in a disingenuous manner. I think it's inevitable and we should be talking about preparation at least as much as reduction. My house is on high ground and I look forward to not having to shovel snow as much. In the case this polar vortex bullshit continues, I've got lots of wood to chop. What purpose does it serve to be alarmed? China has 907 GW of coal electric generation (compared to Ontario's 28 GW total but peak usage is around 18).

The purpose served by being alarmed is to generate the political will necessary to start, first, trying to reduce emissions, and second, preparing for a world with higher average temperatures and more extreme weather events.

I might add that someone who empathizes with the suffering and dislocation caused by global warming might spontaneously feel alarmed without that alarm being linked to some specific "purpose" but I guess I can't expect everyone to share my own moral intuitions.

quote:

Their emissions will continue to rise every year until 2030 and they've been caught recently under-reporting their emissions. The scientific consensus (as best I could find) was that we need to start reducing by 2020 to keep warming to just 2 degrees otherwise we're looking at a 4 degree rise by 2040 and that's not good for a lot of people. I think that is going to happen because China is being a bunch of dickbags, sitting on their 4 trillion in cash reserves instead of building CANDUs as fast as they can.

China builds products that we use, and they quite logically point out that we're asking them to take on far stricter regulations than the ones we were subject to when we industrialized. If we were actually willing to make some sacrifices ourselves we could probably extract greater concessions from China by threatening to reduce trade with them. It would take adjustments in our own lifestyles but in the past society has endured similar adjustments when facing challenges of a similar scale.

One can only speculate about what the world would look like now if the powers that be in the industrialized world had as much dedication to fighting global warming as they showed toward lowering barriers to trade or safeguarding foreign investors from local governments, or to defeating and undermining hostile ideologies like communism and fascism.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The fear of the right wing is reaching a boiling plate and its getting downright scary.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Don't worry Brad Wall, there's no chance that Syrian refugees (or anyone) wants to go to Saskatchewan, even to attack it.

Their goal is to bring life in the Western world to a standstill, so there's a good chance that, if they get to Regina after 5 p.m., they'll think someone beat them to it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yes, as stated we don't need to worry yet; I was merely using those breweries as examples of actual bad things that could happen as a result of the new tax structure. Muskoka, the brewer that actually pulled out, probably sucks anyway.

I would be more fond of supporting Alberta brewers if they didn't all loving suck so goddamn much. Every new Big Rock product tastes like unpalatable garbage, and I still have no idea how Wild Rose manages to make every single one of their beers so abjectly terrible. Yet people drink them in huge amounts. It's a complete mystery to me.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

It was Muskoka not McAuslan

"Mad Tom not welcome in Alberta"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Yes, as stated we don't need to worry yet; I was merely using those breweries as examples of actual bad things that could happen as a result of the new tax structure. Muskoka, the brewer that actually pulled out, probably sucks anyway.

I would be more fond of supporting Alberta brewers if they didn't all loving suck so goddamn much. Every new Big Rock product tastes like unpalatable garbage, and I still have no idea how Wild Rose manages to make every single one of their beers so abjectly terrible. Yet people drink them in huge amounts. It's a complete mystery to me.
If one brewery leaves another five will take its place. Canada is experiencing massive growth in breweries and wineries. There is no loss. These wankers always blame poo poo like taxes when they fold but it's generally because they are incompetent or make a lovely product. A true conservative should applaud the failing of a lovely business - efficiency and all that.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

thx in advance

Unfortunately they would still be SOL for all season if they built it inside of the city due to the arrangement MTS with events inside the city. I'm told MTS has a monopoly-like agreement with the city for all live events.

That's the main reason they didn't and couldn't do it the first time around.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

If one brewery leaves another five will take its place. Canada is experiencing massive growth in breweries and wineries. There is no loss. These wankers always blame poo poo like taxes when they fold but it's generally because they are incompetent or make a lovely product. A true conservative should applaud the failing of a lovely business - efficiency and all that.

It's anti-competitive because it provides incentives to breweries in the province that it doesn't to breweries from other provinces. I'm in favour of promoting local businesses, sure, but brewing is a special case because everyone who does it in Alberta is really, really bad at it, and everyone in Quebec seems really, really good at it and I want my good Quebecois beer, dammit! The mere suggestion that its supply could be compromised is very disturbing.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So a craft brewer active in three provinces at least is ending all its operations in those provinces because of a tax change in one of them? What kind of garbage were they selling?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lassitude posted:

So a craft brewer active in three provinces at least is ending all its operations in those provinces because of a tax change in one of them? What kind of garbage were they selling?

Really too bad it wasn't Big Rock, that has to be the worst beer in Western Canada.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
muskoka is the lame craft beer that wannabe hip dads who read toronto life drink

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Really too bad it wasn't Big Rock, that has to be the worst beer in Western Canada.

McNally's Extra is okay, and Fowl Mouth ESB is also okay (note I didn't say "good"). Everything else is garbage and god only knows why the gently caress it's popular. I share your desire that is vanish forever.

But if you think it's the worst, you obviously have not tried Wild Rose -- none of their beers even reach the "okay" level, and several of their beers were so offensive to my tastebuds that I could not actually finish drinking them -- that's a very rare thing for me.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i thin theyre probably bitter about mill street cashing out for millions of dollars because theyre essentially doing the same schtick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RBC posted:

i thin theyre probably bitter about mill street cashing out for millions of dollars because theyre essentially doing the same schtick

What? Brewing lovely beer that taste like urine, yet inexplicably having a huge market composed of morons with more money than taste?

I'm bitter about that, but for rather a different reason.