Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

People who like games don't just like the setting.

The discussion was about setting elements , not mechanic elements. There's no need to be willfully ignorant to this degree just to take another stab at ~precious skills~ being removed.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Basically, Bethesda isn't gonna get rid of super mutants because they see them as an easy enemy to work into the setting that serves the basic gameplay role of raiders but bigger and tougher. Also flavor wise they probably think they are core to the setting like the BoS.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Maybe punch things to death too

You kinda have to decide as obviously the two have different perks for them, but otherwise the things that are important are Rooted, moving target (if you're not using vats a lot), blitz (loving amazing when combined with stealth), relevant weapon perks, and obviously idiot savant. I just started my second play through and ended up going 9/2/1/1/1/9/5, and used the "You're Special" book mentioned above to increase my Perception to 3. The perception points are entirely optional and depend on whether you really hate not being able to break into things, but otherwise 9 strength is obvious, 9 agility is needed for blitz (and otherwise you're going to spend a large part of the game without unless you use a perk), and 5 Luck is obvious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Once a supply line is set up, does the settler need to be in the camp to get supplies from a linked settlement, or does setting a supply line just=sahred supplies for all linked settlements?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The entire game could of been avoided it the institute just didn't go after their synths.

escaped synths could of just ran away and become new people, people were never being replaced by synths because they were synths all along. The railroad should of done some kind of program to send them really really far away. Maybe they could of just made a town that only synths were allowed in.

In reality, the entire witch hunt about synths could of been hidden by the railroad instead they are wiping the minds of the synths putting them into an environment where everyone is scared of synths. relocating people and they don't even know that they are robots and need to stay hidden. What if the synth fell down and broke its robot parts. Next he gets wasteland executed for being synth when most likely he now hates them like everyone else. Railroad bringing you a cruel painful death if you get found out but your memory is wiped and you have no idea either.

In retrospect, it makes the Mayor of diamond city look like the smartest person in Boston because he just doesn't want synths to matter to people because its driving everyone insane. Its not like when they kill the intitute the synths are all gone, the railroad has been hiding synths there will be a poo poo load of them left to witch hunt out.

The whole trip to the rad ocean was pointless the guy didnt even give me a quest to find his mutant cure so I had no idea where his office was, I hope he died. There was also a church of the atom that cool stuff could of happened at

If you are losing so many synths that you have to create multiple strike teams of robots to reaquire them and you never come up to say "hey we just make these robots". why they make these robots is never explained because clearly the solution to reaquire all these robots to build even more robots because we are the most advanced culture left we just dont want to recycle them or install bombs that can make them explode or even like a beacon that tells us where they are or something that auto shuts them down like on-star.

Once again they used "the people who are playing the radio are the bad guys again" this was a big thing in fallout 3 why did you need to do it again.

You are made leader of every faction for doing nothing, its like a dirty penny.

That's why I prefer to just explore. Fallout 4: stuff happens that doesn't matter

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 17, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magmarashi posted:

The discussion was about setting elements , not mechanic elements. There's no need to be willfully ignorant to this degree just to take another stab at ~precious skills~ being removed.

The point being, since people who play video games like other things about them than the setting- gameplay elements, for example- if Bethesda was really worried about damaging profits by irreversibly changing the Fallout brand, they wouldn't have removed skills, as people would gripe about that as much as removing super mutants. They clearly aren't worried about that and will make whatever changes they want to the setting, gameplay, anything at all. The Fallout brand is now whatever Bethesda want it to be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

The point being, since people who play video games like other things about them than the setting- gameplay elements, for example- if Bethesda was really worried about damaging profits by irreversibly changing the Fallout brand, they wouldn't have removed skills, as people would gripe about that as much as removing super mutants. They clearly aren't worried about that and will make whatever changes they want to the setting, gameplay, anything at all. The Fallout brand is now whatever Bethesda want it to be.

Skills were dumb, glad they are dead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

2house2fly posted:

The Fallout brand is now whatever Bethesda want it to be.

This is what it was the moment they acquired it. I really doubt Bethesda expected the brand alone to sell FO3.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Once a supply line is set up, does the settler need to be in the camp to get supplies from a linked settlement, or does setting a supply line just=sahred supplies for all linked settlements?

You can daisy chain them. The workshop won't show there being resources in it, but the resources will be available.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Are there any good spots to get lots of bone? Specifically places I can farm it to make cutting fluid? Also I'm starting to have trouble finding dirty water..

Look for a manhole a little north west of Diamond City. It's a nice little location so I won't spoil it too much, but you should be able to get what you need.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Super Mutants, Power Armor, Ghouls, Vaults, these are all defining elements of Fallout, that are key to the franchise's brand and recognizably in the market.

Skills are not. This is not an equivalent. Skills will not be missed or cared about as much as if they just decided that Fallout didn't need Radmonsters anymore at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, what's a decent-looking outfit that can be modified with ballistic weave? So far it seems like the rule is "if it looks cool, you can't put ballistic weave on it." There's just about no consistency at all. MacCready's duster? Go right ahead. Piper's trenchcoat? Yep, mod away! Preston's duster? Nope! Drifter outfit? Don't be absurd!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I found a couple issues of total hack but I can't figure out how to use these extra functions when I hack turret terminals and stuff. What am I missing?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The loving bartender on the Prydwen just did an arrow to the knee ref

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That fedora has more DR than my entire armor setup at the moment.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I never truly understood Weird Al until I started looting hardware stores in Fallout 4.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magmarashi posted:

Super Mutants, Power Armor, Ghouls, Vaults, these are all defining elements of Fallout, that are key to the franchise's brand and recognizably in the market.

Skills are not. This is not an equivalent. Skills will not be missed or cared about as much as if they just decided that Fallout didn't need Radmonsters anymore at all.

Fair enough. Fully-voiced player character with entire backstory pre-written for you is probably a better example, but everyone goes for that one.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harrow posted:

So, what's a decent-looking outfit that can be modified with ballistic weave? So far it seems like the rule is "if it looks cool, you can't put ballistic weave on it." There's just about no consistency at all. MacCready's duster? Go right ahead. Piper's trenchcoat? Yep, mod away! Preston's duster? Nope! Drifter outfit? Don't be absurd!

Yeah, i'm totally getting an blacksmithing mod to upgrade nice looking gear, I want to wander around in a tuxedo and shades drat it. Blacksmithing options on the silver shroud outfit would be nice too, dense is so good for explosives.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

Fair enough. Fully-voiced player character with entire backstory pre-written for you is probably a better example, but everyone goes for that one.

Fallout 1: guy finding a water chip
Fallout 2: guy finding a gecko
Fallout 3: guy finding dad

Fully voiced is good but every game except the first had a complete back story for your character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Fully-voiced is bad because it invariably leads to fewer dialog options for your player character because now they all need to be voiced by two actors. This is okay in some games, but in Fallout it means no more dialog checks for things like Intelligence or medical skill or anything like that.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, i'm totally getting an blacksmithing mod to upgrade nice looking gear, I want to wander around in a tuxedo and shades drat it. Blacksmithing options on the silver shroud outfit would be nice too, dense is so good for explosives.

I wonder if a mod like that could be made without modding tools. So far all the armor mods are just texture/color swaps, but there is also a mod that lets you craft ammo already, so I have no idea. If I had any idea how to do it I'd do it myself.

I can't help but wonder if someone just forgot to flip the "can use ballistic weave" variable on certain outfits.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 17, 2015

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Who wants to start a modding thread? its the only reason I keep looking at this one, and the discussions here are terrible.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
RE: Tribals, I would say that's more or less what raiders are. People who don't live in a major settlement and tend to identify around a single feature or group trait. The raider groups they tend to flesh out all seem to have names for their group, and some sort of gimmick.

It suffers from the same thing as the last game, where there are infinity raiders in the wasteland, like 100 named NPCs and maybe double unnamed filler mooks. Essentially the raiders are the real population of the wasteland, and you're systematically genociding them and taking their stuff. I've killed 300 humans so far in the game (around level 24), which I would estimate is the entire non-raider population of the wasteland, and I'm only about halfway done.

Once again, NV got over this by having the human generic enemies coming from actual factions (Legion or NCR, depending) instead of a really broad "bad guy cannon fodder in metal armor" category. The raider groups that exist aren't infinite, have clearly defined personalities, and can actually be interacted with if your character is a big enough rear end in a top hat.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

If you don't feel like doing quests, I had a pretty good time today tracking those radio signals around. Got a few unique items out of it and some of the "scenes" you find are pretty dark. :stare:

I also wandered into an electronic hobbyist's club that was loaded with radiation, booby traps and an assaultron lurking in the basement..

Geokinesis posted:

There is a cross section of motorway on the east of the map with a lift you can call to take you up. I would be careful going up in it especially if you've killed the people beneath and you can see the hostiles above.
Can't be 100% sure as I was straight into slow mo deathcam as soon as the lift reached the top but I think an assualtron used a massive laser on me.

There are multiple places like that on the map, most of them I've seen have been Gunner encampments. And yes they use assaultrons to guard their camp sometimes. :v: I think elevators must be the devs new favorite thing because they pop up in a lot of areas.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The funny thing is the 50's pastiche was always pretty subtle in the original games - it was Bethesda that turned it up to 11. One of the series' defining traits (it's focus on retro-futurism) is pretty much a Bethesda thing. I actually remember people complaining on NMA back in the day how stupid it was - fans of a franchise tearing down an aesthetic the whole series shared because one game (Fallout 3) ran with it more than it's predecessors. No wonder that place is dead.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LumberingTroll posted:

Who wants to start a modding thread? its the only reason I keep looking at this one, and the discussions here are terrible.

I like this mod that makes Shaun a follower. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/696/

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are people modding this with the Skyrim creation kit?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

The way that Bethesda writes super mutants is really, really annoying. They're almost always dumb as bricks savages instead of pretty normal human-like creatures with their own culture.

Replay 1 and 2 and you'll realize that it's not Bethesdas doing. It was a rarity that a Super Mutant keeps his intelligence after the transformation. Hell, there's prewar tapes in 1 about how FEV sometimes makes the animals they are testing it on smarter, but most are just stronger and dumber.

Christ, outside of their infertility, the through-line for the failure of the Master's plan was that Super Mutants would never develop their own culture.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 17, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Are people modding this with the Skyrim creation kit?

Most basic texture replacers and UI adjustments don't require creation tools - some of them were even done before the game even dropped.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

sector_corrector posted:

RE: Tribals, I would say that's more or less what raiders are. People who don't live in a major settlement and tend to identify around a single feature or group trait. The raider groups they tend to flesh out all seem to have names for their group, and some sort of gimmick.

It suffers from the same thing as the last game, where there are infinity raiders in the wasteland, like 100 named NPCs and maybe double unnamed filler mooks. Essentially the raiders are the real population of the wasteland, and you're systematically genociding them and taking their stuff. I've killed 300 humans so far in the game (around level 24), which I would estimate is the entire non-raider population of the wasteland, and I'm only about halfway done.

Once again, NV got over this by having the human generic enemies coming from actual factions (Legion or NCR, depending) instead of a really broad "bad guy cannon fodder in metal armor" category. The raider groups that exist aren't infinite, have clearly defined personalities, and can actually be interacted with if your character is a big enough rear end in a top hat.

Tribals build stuff, maintain communities and have their own unique cultures. Raiders just loot poo poo and get high, they build nothing of note and waste everything of worth.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If there's one thing I them to change completely about the world and the aesthetic of the game, it's the way every structure everywhere is just half-assedly put together despite the fact that it's been over 200 years since the war. You've got cities that's persisted for nearly a hundred years, and untold tonnes for raw materials, and people still live in ramshackle piles of planks and let trash float around everywhere.

Farms and small trading towns live and die in the wasteland, sure. Raiders will probably put up temporary barricades seeing as they're all gonna be wiped out by supermutants in a week, and vice versa. But surely a well established settlement would take the time to clean poo poo up, paint the walls, mend the holes and so on. It's the sort of things people do to live instead of just survive, and while you certainly see signs of exactly that, stuff that looks completely wasted sort of breaks the immersion.

BoS, Enclave and stuff like the Institute and the Vault represent the far end of the "light in the darkness" thing. If everyone looked completely pristine it would ruin it, but after 210 years I'd expect more than walls with holes the size of brahmin.

I dunno, showing a world rebuilt after the apocalypse is what Fallout is all about, and I especially like the little details, like how bottlecaps become currency how junk gets repurposed into useful items, but I've always been bothered by how nobody loving cleans anything. At all. Ever. Except for the people who also maintain levels of technology magnitudes more advanced than the rest of the wasteland.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 17, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Replay 1 and 2 and you'll realize that it's not Bethesdas doing. It was a rarity that a Super Mutant keeps his intelligence after the transformation. Hell, there's prewar tapes in 1 about how FEV sometimes makes the animals they are testing it on smarter, but most are just stronger and dumber.

No, NO! Bethesda are responsible for all the things I don't like!

(I wanted to bring this up, myself, but I get burned out easily on this guff as it is)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Black Griffon posted:

If there's one thing I them to change completely about the world and the aesthetic of the game, it's the way every structure everywhere is just half-assedly put together despite the fact that it's been over 200 years since the war. You've got cities that's persisted for nearly a hundred years, and untold tonnes for raw materials, and people still live in ramshackle piles of planks and let trash float around everywhere.

Farms and small trading towns live and die in the wasteland, sure. Raiders will probably put up temporary barricades seeing as they're all gonna be wiped out by supermutants in a week, and vice versa. But surely a well established settlement would take the time to clean poo poo up, paint the walls, mend the holes and so on. It's the sort of things people do to live instead of just survive, and while you certainly see signs of exactly that, stuff that looks completely wasted sort of breaks the immersion.

BoS, Enclave and stuff like the Institute and the Vault represent the far end of the "light in the darkness" thing. If everyone looked completely pristine it would ruin it, but after 210 years I'd expect more than walls with holes the size of brahmin.

I dunno, showing a world rebuilt after the apocalypse is what Fallout is all about, and I especially like the little details, like how bottlecaps become currency how junk gets repurposed into useful items, but I've always been bothered by how nobody loving cleans anything. At all. Ever. Except for the people who also maintain levels of technology magnitudes higher than the rest of the wasteland.

Covenant was a pretty clean and well maintained town and I think that's just about the only one I've found so far.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Tenzarin posted:

Fully voiced is good but every game except the first had a complete back story for your character.

I'm not sure any of those really compare to "you are a suburban mother/father". that really nails down a lot more of your character than any of the previous games

I keep seeing this argument and it's really tired and lame, none of those are close to the level of specificity laid out in the first 15 minutes of fallout 4. fallout 3 is still a distant second, cos more people have dads than have sons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

They didn't have a complete backstory by any means, they had a rough framework to build your character around- you live in a vault, you're a tribal, you're a courier, not much more than that. Fallout 4 opens with the main character telling you what kind of person he is and then lets you give him a name.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

You know the Institute laser rifle has kinda grown on me. I like it because the laser is blue and different, and it's made of polymers rather than metal. Plus it looks like a toy too, which sort of defies how damned dangerous mine is becoming.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Covenant was a pretty clean and well maintained town and I think that's just about the only one I've found so far.

Yeah, Covenant is pretty much what I expect from way more places in the wasteland. Additionally, it's supposed to creep you out with how nice and clean it looks, going by the player-character and companion comments.

Edit: Also now it's actually creepy because I murdered the town and threw their stripped corpses outside the gate and they're all still there weeks later.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 17, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man people weren't kidding about the Brotherhood having terrible pilots. First vertibird I saw flew around trinity tower trying to gun down the super mutants inside. It looked really cool for about a half a minute before the vertibird spun out of control and exploded. I even heard the pilot scream "not like this! :gonk:" as his corpse fell 50 feet down to the street.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, in FO1 and FO2 you're mostly given the culture you grew up in--fair enough. FO3 gives you a specific dad who you allegedly care about and FO4 gives you everything. I think it's because of the series's birth in tabletop but the reason I like Bethesda games (when I do) is because they're the closest to tabletop in terms of character creation--a generic setup, a ruleset, a bunch of choices. I hate being assigned stuff ;(

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

doctor iono posted:

I'm not sure any of those really compare to "you are a suburban mother/father". that really nails down a lot more of your character than any of the previous games

I keep seeing this argument and it's really tired and lame, none of those are close to the level of specificity laid out in the first 15 minutes of fallout 4. fallout 3 is still a distant second, cos more people have dads than have sons.

But like, all you know is that your person lives with a spouse and has a kid. You can still make up in your head or whatever any of the other poo poo. I guess I just don't get what you want from it? Does your character absolutely have to be a blank slate? If thats so then the best Fallout is FO3 because you start as a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Reason posted:

But like, all you know is that your person lives with a spouse and has a kid. You can still make up in your head or whatever any of the other poo poo. I guess I just don't get what you want from it? Does your character absolutely have to be a blank slate? If thats so then the best Fallout is FO3 because you start as a baby.

Hates something literally every other game did.

Im pretending my guy executed guys in the middle east and he hates minorities.

Just pretend hes trying to find his girlfriends son.

• Locked thread