Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PT6A posted:

The new Merc engines do

The best or nothing.™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

D C posted:

Have you driven a modern VW diesel? They are far from laggy.

Massive difference from the Merc diesels of old.

I drove a Mk.4 Golf with the 1.9L common rail TDI engine for over 12 years. It's not the most modern, but it's far closer to what VW sells now (direct injected intercooled variable geometry turbo) than it is to older naturally aspirated diesel engines. It's also got very noticeable turbo lag.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PT6A posted:

The new Merc engines do, and they're zippy as gently caress. I was really surprised how fast the diesel engine could get my Dad's ML up to speed, for a fairly small engine in a fairly big SUV. Also: going from a standard to an automatic is freaky when there's that kind of power around because all of a sudden "oh, gently caress me, it just downshifted!" and you're flying.

The diesel V6s haul rear end and do it with awesome mileage. too bad the vehicles they are installed in cost somewhere in the neighborhood of what, 60-100 grand?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Frank Dillinger posted:

The diesel V6s haul rear end and do it with awesome mileage. too bad the vehicles they are installed in cost somewhere in the neighborhood of what, 60-100 grand?

I think it was C$90K or something. Not cheap, but I really can't find any fault with it as a vehicle. Even as an SUV, it matches or beats my car for fuel efficiency, and it's really goddamn quick when you push it. I'd love to bitch at my Dad for having a useless SUV for no reason, but as it's nearly as fast as my car and has almost identical fuel economy numbers, I don't have too much of a leg to stand on. Apart from my personal disagreements with some design choices (the awful shifter stalk which was presumably forged in the fires of hell itself, and the turn signal which will flash even when you don't have it activated), I must say it's a fantastic vehicle.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah even before the emissions story diesels were a hard sell for most people. You go drive the TDI then you go drive the base gas version of the same car and wow the gas engine is way peppier, you notice how much more sluggish the TDI feels immediately. And you want how much more for that engine? Yikes, no thanks. Ok it's a bit nicer and has a fancier suspension, great, but no thanks it just feels slower what colors do you have the gas version in? That's how the story usually went according to my friend who used to work at a VW dealership anyway.

It was more of a status symbol thing like "hey look at me and my highway MPG" similar to hybrids for most people who ended up buying them, that's not really a driver of sales anymore for obvious reasons.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah even before the emissions story diesels were a hard sell for most people. You go drive the TDI then you go drive the base gas version of the same car and wow the gas engine is way peppier, you notice how much more sluggish the TDI feels immediately. And you want how much more for that engine? Yikes, no thanks. Ok it's a bit nicer and has a fancier suspension, great, but no thanks it just feels slower what colors do you ahve the gas version in? That's how the story usually went according to my friend who used to work at a VW dealership anyway.

I guess if you never make it past 1500 RPM that might be the case.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fknlo posted:

Model for model the petrol equivalent is quicker anyway

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah doesn't really matter the RPM, overall it's noticeably slower to accelerate. Test driving the same year/model with the two engines back to back it's pretty striking how slower diesel seems. Redline every gear up to 80mph or whatever you want to do, it doesn't matter.

Then throw the GTI in the mix, go drive that after the two above and the TDI is even a more distant third. It's just a really tough sell.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 17, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's slower from a standstill, but how often do you do that when driving on public roads? There, most acceleration happens from 20+kph to maybe 150kph and speeds inbetween, and that's where the extra torque of a diesel engine comes into play. It's just a different way of driving, you don't have to downshift to pass etc.

That said, I still switched from 1.3L diesel to 2.2L gasoline, and apart from the added fuel consumption, I don't regret it. Mostly because the diesel took forever and a day to warm up during the winter. Of course, ~90 extra HP and ~75 extra Nm helped sweeten the deal, too ;)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I drove a Mk.4 Golf with the 1.9L common rail TDI engine for over 12 years. It's not the most modern, but it's far closer to what VW sells now (direct injected intercooled variable geometry turbo) than it is to older naturally aspirated diesel engines. It's also got very noticeable turbo lag.

So did I. The newer 2.0 TDIs are a big improvement over the old ones.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Motortrend gave camaro car of the year. Not one single mention about the interior sight lights being bad?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-chevrolet-camaro-is-the-motor-trend-car-of-the-year/

The gently caress? Is it not a problem anymore? I better not get in one to test drive and immediately feel like im driving in a coffin with windows

edit: 2014 was cadillac CTS. I guess car of the year is just their time to highlight a car that isnt immediately seen as good through various criteria that doesnt make sense ("advancement of design" in camaros case)

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 17, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

coolskillrex remix posted:

Motortrend gave camaro car of the year. Not one single mention about the interior sight lights being bad?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-chevrolet-camaro-is-the-motor-trend-car-of-the-year/

The gently caress? Is it not a problem anymore? I better not get in one to test drive and immediately feel like im driving in a coffin with windows

That's every car now though. High beltlines and poo poo exterior visibility come standard.

Putting your elbow out the window is an exercise in 90* shoulder action these days. It's goddamned uncomfortable.

I may just have to settle for buying 25yo Japanese imports for the rest of my adult life.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
MotorTrend likes a GM product??????

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

MotorTrend likes a GM product??????

This is not a joke. Motor trend has had full page chevy ad on their front page all this week.

Read this url, and then click it, and then be AMAAAAAAAZED.

http://www.motortrend.com/wp-content/themes/motor-trend/images/sponsor-background.jpg

They had the ad ready to be updated the second they were announced as winners.

edit:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 18, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Yeah it's cool for a while above 1500 RPM, right until you reach 1600 RPM and and then it doesn't do anything besides producing noise.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

coolskillrex remix posted:

Car and Driver said it was just as bad as the last Camaro.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Powershift posted:

This is not a joke. Motor trend has had full page chevy ad on their front page all this week.

Read this url, and then click it, and then be AMAAAAAAAZED.

http://www.motortrend.com/wp-content/themes/motor-trend/images/sponsor-background.jpg

They had the ad ready to be updated the second they were announced as winners.

edit:

Do you really think MT wouldn't tell the manufacturer their car won until the issue reaches magazine shelves / the article hits the website? And that the manufacturer wouldn't immediately get an ad campaign ready to highlight their win?

To leap to the "they paid to win the award" conclusion is awfully cynical - unjustifiably so, IMO.

E: and yes, visibility in the 5th-gen Camaro was abysmal. That didn't seem to stop a ton of people from buying it though, so obviously they feel retaining the retro styling is more important.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 18, 2015

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

D C posted:

So did I. The newer 2.0 TDIs are a big improvement over the old ones.

Right, but turbochargers have an inherent lag to them as the turbo catches up to the requested power level. Even without that ECUs still introduce some level of throttle response delay (or fuel injection in this case) to improve emissions.*

Electric motors don't have that limitation and can respond more or less instantly. So a hybrid can still take its sweet time with the engine but fill in the gap with the motors and that's what I like because it's seamless.

*Usually. If I were a VW engineer planning on doing something that would make me the target of CARB Death Squads, I wouldn't half rear end it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought that every single automotive award was bought and sold. And I thought everyone knew this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Right, but turbochargers have an inherent lag to them as the turbo catches up to the requested power level. Even without that ECUs still introduce some level of throttle response delay (or fuel injection in this case) to improve emissions.*

There is definitely something about small diesels that causes me to notice the lag a lot more - the petrol models are all turbos too now and they're all more pleasant to drive to me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've always been under the impression that it was an open secret that manufacturers gamed EPA testing to a certain degree through things like heating up the catalytic converter as quickly as possible, special startup procedures, etc. I'm most curious to see how any changes in testing will affect more "mild" versions of cheating.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GokieKS posted:

E: and yes, visibility in the 5th-gen Camaro was abysmal. That didn't seem to stop a ton of people from buying it though, so obviously they feel retaining the retro styling is more important.

Retro styling? Hell, name me a modern sports coupe with usable windows.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm pretty sure VW is muleing a new Beetle GSR with a DSG. I ran across a manufacturer plated new Beetle today with no badging at a stoplight tonight - by 60 he was about a car length back from a tune box + dp 6spd MK7 GTI.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 18, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

4 series, Lexus RC, Genesis coupe, whatever the G37 is called now?

They're not like an 80s Prelude but they aren't nearly as bunker-like as a Camaro (assuming the new one isn't better than the old shape)

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

It's slower from a standstill, but how often do you do that when driving on public roads? There, most acceleration happens from 20+kph to maybe 150kph and speeds inbetween, and that's where the extra torque of a diesel engine comes into play. It's just a different way of driving, you don't have to downshift to pass etc.

You have it backwards, due to gearing, from a roll, all that matters for acceleration is horsepower. After 30mph, your engine should be in its powerband until you lift off throttle, negating any torque advantages. The 2.0L TDI only has 140hp, so it's only ever going to give you that much. There is no way around this fact.

The review of various Jettas makes this point pretty clear, the 2.5L Jetta is slower than the TDI to 30 by a good margin, to 60 by a small margin, but is faster to 100 by a hefty margin.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

pre:
Jetta        2.5 SEL     GLI   Hybrid SEL     TDI SEL 
0–30 MPH     2.9 sec     2.4 sec      2.9 sec    2.7 sec
0–60 MPH     8.9 sec     6.4 sec      7.9 sec    8.4 sec
0–100 MPH    25.0 sec    16.8 sec    22.2 sec    26.7 sec
0–110 MPH    34.3 sec    21.0 sec    29.7 sec    37.9 sec
¼-Mile @ MPH 16.7@84     15.1 @ 95    16.2 @ 87  16.5 @ 83 

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 18, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Q_res posted:

Car and Driver said it was just as bad as the last Camaro.

At best, the reviews I've seen have said the A-pillar is a little better, and the hood a little lower, but they still put a big-rear end binnacle over the instruments that negates any improvement from lowering the hood height. Your over the shoulder and rear sight-lines are still miserable.

I hate the stupid high belt lines. Driving with an arm out the window on a nice day is one of the great pleasures of a nice highway cruise.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mange Mite posted:

'15 Mustang isn't *great* but its a shitload better than the Camaros.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Here's the Fiat Spyder Miata thing:

http://jalopnik.com/2017-fiat-124-spider-this-is-it-all-official-and-stuf-1743199857

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Needs 2 more lights on front, spiders are supposed to have 8 eyes, not 6.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Buying this without question.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

holy poo poo.

Ignoring the fact that it looks way too much like a jaaaaaaaag. the 2017 lincoln MKZ, which is based on the fusion, is going to have a 400hp, 400ft/lb 3.0 ecoboost V6 with a "driver's pack" which gives it the rear diff out of the focus RS.

Imagine it 200lbs lighter as a fusion RS.

ed: https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/2017-lincoln-mkz.html

quote:

3.0-liter GTDI V6 engine in front-wheel drive models is limited to 350 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque

Hah. That's going to be awesome at destroying tires.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 18, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's very dodge looking

E: the 124

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

drat, if the motor is the same as the 500 Abarth, then maybe it will have a similar exhaust and sound as mean, too.

I... might actually want to buy a Fiat. Admittedly I like the front end of the Mazda, but the hood and rear end of the Fiat. I do worry about longer term reliability of the Fiat motor over the Mazda, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 18, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think the 1.4 is pretty proven.

I know I drive the ever loving poo poo out of my abarth when I take it out, and it's tuned to over 200hp.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

holy poo poo.

Ignoring the fact that it looks way too much like a jaaaaaaaag. the 2017 lincoln MKZ, which is based on the fusion, is going to have a 400hp, 400ft/lb 3.0 ecoboost V6 with a "driver's pack" which gives it the rear diff out of the focus RS.

Imagine it 200lbs lighter as a fusion RS.

ed: https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/2017-lincoln-mkz.html

Hah. That's going to be awesome at destroying tires.
Ok, that looks good.
Where does the 200lb weight loss of the Fusion RS come from?

And is this 3.0EB based off the 2.7EB or the 3.5EB?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I think the 1.4 is pretty proven.

I know I drive the ever loving poo poo out of my abarth when I take it out, and it's tuned to over 200hp.

How easy is it to crank it up to 200hp?

Because a 200hp Miata for cheap/easy is :fap:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's nice to see that Lincoln is finally abandoning the baleen whale look.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Ok, that looks good.
Where does the 200lb weight loss of the Fusion RS come from?

And is this 3.0EB based off the 2.7EB or the 3.5EB?

Based on the 2.7

An AWD 2.0 fusion titanium is 3743lbs. An AWD 2.0 MKZ is 3906lbs.

Luxury stuff has weight.

It's creeping up on M3 numbers, which is 425hp/406ftlbs.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's very dodge looking

E: the 124

Yeah very Darty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Maybe Fiat will put out a fixed roof version.