Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I bet the fucker doesn't even own a single piece of gold jewelry.

I don't own any jewellery.

I suppose I could grow a mullet if I had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ecig rolled up in t-shirt sleeve

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mange Mite posted:

He's right about the Mirai but the Prius hasn't been a tech leader in like 10 years. In the US market they're only now switching away from NiMH batteries for their volume models.

Yet the Prius leads every year in fuel economy, which is what people actually buy them for, even the runners up are Fords and Nissans that use licensed Prius tech. Maybe you could call the Prius a leader in tech that actually works. Honda only managed to make an Accord Hybrid that beat the Camry hybrid this year, but then the next gen Toyota hybrid drivetrains are coming out.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Throatwarbler posted:

Yet the Prius leads every year in fuel economy, which is what people actually buy them for, even the runners up are Fords and Nissans that use licensed Prius tech. Maybe you could call the Prius a leader in tech that actually works. Honda only managed to make an Accord Hybrid that beat the Camry hybrid this year, but then the next gen Toyota hybrid drivetrains are coming out.

They're also more solid and reliable than the Crown Vic.

In any practical terms the Prius is probably the best car ever made and in terms of tech that just works nobody touches Toyota, much as they are maligned among car nerds.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Atkinson cycle hybrid electric engine is really an amazing piece of technology, the more you look at it the more things you learn. The amount of transmission programming used to make the 2 electric motor generators and the gas engine work together so efficiently will give Toyota the edge for years to come. The other advantage that is rapidly coming to light with VW's poo poo is that the Atkinson electric drivetrain is naturally quite bening in terms of NOx emissions which is what kills diesel engines, but will also be a hard obstacle for direct injected turbo gas engines to hurdle as well - what we have right now is probably the limit of how high compression ratios can go on a gas engine without needing urea treatment, and more public awareness of how NOx causes smog and cancer can only tighten restrictions in the future. I'm going to say right now that GTDI engines like what Ford is betting the farm on, and even Mazda Skyactiv, are evolutionary dead ends just like diesel. Prius is really the only way forward.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Time for a hybrid Tacoma with solar panel tonneau cover.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wheeee posted:

Time for a hybrid Tacoma with solar panel tonneau cover.

Would.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Wheeee posted:

They're also more solid and reliable than the Crown Vic.

They're more reliable than nearly anything else out there - choosing one over the average all-gas econobox will likely save you almost as much money in repairs (at least past 100,000 miles) as you'll save on fuel.

And as far as gadgets go, the 2010 Prius was the first car under $40,000 to offer adaptive cruise control, and the first Prius was at least among the first non-luxury cars to offer navigation. It's only natural that others would catch up to them in between redesigns. Plus we have the fourth generation Prius coming out early next year.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Atkinson cycle hybrid electric engine is really an amazing piece of technology, the more you look at it the more things you learn. The amount of transmission programming used to make the 2 electric motor generators and the gas engine work together so efficiently will give Toyota the edge for years to come. The other advantage that is rapidly coming to light with VW's poo poo is that the Atkinson electric drivetrain is naturally quite bening in terms of NOx emissions which is what kills diesel engines, but will also be a hard obstacle for direct injected turbo gas engines to hurdle as well - what we have right now is probably the limit of how high compression ratios can go on a gas engine without needing urea treatment, and more public awareness of how NOx causes smog and cancer can only tighten restrictions in the future. I'm going to say right now that GTDI engines like what Ford is betting the farm on, and even Mazda Skyactiv, are evolutionary dead ends just like diesel. Prius is really the only way forward.

Well, that or pure electric cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

edit: that engine is 899lbs dry. the after treatment system alone is 95lbs. a fully loaded titan could be kissing 7000lbs.

:laffo:

7,431lbs.

That means it's going to be over 8500lb gvwr, technically a 3/4 ton truck, just a really lovely one with a payload of 1,470lbs in the brotruck trim. It isn't possible to option an F250 below 2500lb payload. The 2016 F250 weighs 7,462lbs in the same trim, the 2017 is expected to drop 300lbs. From CCSB to RCLB, the F250 drops 600lbs. using that same math, Even if they built a RCLB cummins, it would be about 6600lbs, 800lbs heavier than my 7.3 F250, and with the GVWR rating of the crew cab, 1000lb lower payload capacity.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11/2016-nissan-titan-xd-numbers-to-know.html

they say the base model will be just under $40k, with the luxotruck 5000 being around 60. In comparison, A comparable 6.7 crew cab 2wd F250 is $41,780 with incentives right now, a fully loaded 6.7 4x4 platinum is $61,281.

So it has the curb weight of a 3/4 ton, the GVWR of a 3/4 ton, the fuel economy of a 3/4 ton, the price of a 3/4 ton, and the capability of a 1/2 ton so they're trying to market it as "briding the gap between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton"

They could have spent the money building the IDX concept, at least at that point they would only have $20,000 cars sitting on the lot collecting dust instead of $60,000 brotrucks. By this time next year, there's going to be $10k on the hood of the titan XD.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The Tundra is a (Most of the running gear is oversized, such as the huge rear diff) beefed up half-ton, this new Titan is increasingly looking like a bad joke.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Autoblog has a first drive up http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/15/2016-nissan-titan-xd-first-drive-review-video/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Powershift posted:

So it has the curb weight of a 3/4 ton, the GVWR of a 3/4 ton, the fuel economy of a 3/4 ton, the price of a 3/4 ton, and the capability of a 1/2 ton so they're trying to market it as "briding the gap between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton"

So its perfect for America

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is the Prius any good for very large amounts of highway miles?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Fo3 posted:

The made in Thailand ranger/mazda is a good truck, especially in diesel and a 3.5 ton tow rating, shame that VW has probably soured the US on diesel though.

That and the fact that we're apparently gearing up for another war which will predictably spike diesel prices out of wack again really spells the end of diesel in the US. Kind of a bummer, vehicles like the diesel Wrangler look interesting.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Kraftwerk posted:

Is the Prius any good for very large amounts of highway miles?

The regular Prius (not so much the C or the V) is rather streamlined and it is pretty good for lots of miles. It'll do 48 MPG on the highway but it's HIGHLY dependent on your driving style, terrain, and the speeds you go. Obviously the Prius does the best in the city where it can recover power and use electric only to be stuck in traffic. An pedantic hypermiler can get more than 60-70mpg out of it. A psychotic driver with a lead foot can get around 36mpg in the worst case.

I have a 14 mile commute on a 55mph highway. I can get about 45 mpg in my Prius C. But usually I take the local surface street with a 40mph speed limit. It's 12 miles that way, and I get more like 55-58 MPG. It takes about two minutes longer to do this.

A TDI would do better for the highway IF IT WASN'T A GODDAMNED CHEATER.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have a 75 mile one way commute, and I can usually get the 47mpg advertised out of my Prius C. It's done great for the last 75,000 miles, just oil, tires and filters.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

0toShifty posted:

A TDI would do better for the highway IF IT WASN'T A GODDAMNED CHEATER.
A TDI actually does do better on the highway... because it's a cheater. My guess is they'll take a very mild hit in fuel economy, but power output is gonna probably gonna take a noticeable hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go down from 150 hp in the newest version, to around 130 or so.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

A TDI actually does do better on the highway... because it's a cheater. My guess is they'll take a very mild hit in fuel economy, but power output is gonna probably gonna take a noticeable hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go down from 150 hp in the newest version, to around 130 or so.

No, it's going to be fuel economy that takes the hit. Either you're going to be re-filling the piss tank retrofit every time you fuel up, or the car will be retuned to run rich and burns even more fuel doing a DPF regen more often.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I say it all the time, but not everyone gets more than the advertised 42mpg in their TDI. My 2 best tanks only met that, I've never exceeded it. I'm not the only one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

I say it all the time, but not everyone gets more than the advertised 42mpg in their TDI. My 2 best tanks only met that, I've never exceeded it. I'm not the only one.

Never trust any rear end in a top hat on the internet who won't show their data, most are either lying or too stupid to know why they're wrong.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Besides a hybrid, diesels seem to come closer to the advertised MPG though. In the 3 years I had my TDI I always averaged high 30's per tank, which on a percentage basis was much closer than any gas car I had, considering my driving style.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My gas Fiesta averaged higher than rated over the entire life of the car. I kept records of every fill up (because I'm OCD that way) and when I traded it on the Focus at just over 75k miles, it's lifetime average was 39.2mpg and it was rated at 29/38, and 33 combined. I did drive it pretty grandpa-like, because there was no point in trying to drive it any other way, given what it was (the absolute base model commuter car, no power anything, including when you pushed on the gas pedal).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never gotten better than about 5MPG shy of the city rating on average for any vehicle I've owned. I have a lead foot, even in a 100HP car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Will current TDI owners be able to opt out of the retune?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sagebrush posted:

Not legally I'm sure. The cars don't meet emissions standards, so legally they aren't even supposed to have ever been sold.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Likely for as long as you can possibly keep it out of the hands of the dealer, and if your car currently passes whatever emissions tests there are where you live, and if your state doesn't change it's emissions tests.

Taking it in for any safety recall or TSB will involve a mandatory retune. That's assuming the fix is even just a retune, which if it was possible it wouldn't be a retune, it would just be how it's made. I would imagine legally VW is going to have a responsibility to retrofit or destroy a certain percentage of cars, and they'll do that by moving them through dealers as used, or offering huge incentives for current owners to trade up to a new model. Volkswagen can't possibly force consumers to come in for the retrofit, and the government isn't going to put the weight of the gently caress up on consumers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hyper-pedantic states like California will probably require a VIN registry of fixed/un-fixed cars and if you aren't on the correct side of that you'll never get a registration

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was about to comment on the word 'pedantic' being misused twice on the same page of this thread, but that would be an actual instance of pedantry.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bovril Delight posted:

Besides a hybrid, diesels seem to come closer to the advertised MPG though.

My experiences have been the opposite - no modern VW I've ever driven has been capable of even close to its advertised figures. This goes for the TSI as well as the TDI.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

No, it's going to be fuel economy that takes the hit. Either you're going to be re-filling the piss tank retrofit every time you fuel up, or the car will be retuned to run rich and burns even more fuel doing a DPF regen more often.

At least for the V6s the DEF service interval is 10k miles.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

blk posted:

I was about to comment on the word 'pedantic' being misused twice on the same page of this thread, but that would be an actual instance of pedantry.

pe·dan·tic - pəˈdan(t)ik/ - adjective: :pseudo: Like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife? Literally? aw poo poo!

Has anyone driven the 3cyl Fiesta SFE for any amount of time? I mean it sounds brilliant - turbo, manual only, nearly 150 lb-ft of torque and 32city 46highway.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

I've never gotten better than about 5MPG shy of the city rating on average for any vehicle I've owned. I have a lead foot, even in a 100HP car.

Same. I figure getting 40 mpg while accelerating faster than everyone else in practice is still pretty good. Besides the instant torque from the motors is so much better than a laggy diesel.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Cockmaster posted:

Has anyone been using lithium batteries in non-plug-in hybrids? They weren't quite cost effective for that when the 2010 Prius came out.

Hyundai uses a lithium polymer gel with a 2.4L Atkinson engine, but interestingly, a standard 6-speed automatic trans. My mileage has been kinda meh, about 35MPG combined (actual calculated, the computer consistently shows about 3 MPG higher than reality) but it's got a legit 200 combined HP.

http://www.foxhyundaiusa.com/hyundaihybridtechnology.htm

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Same. I figure getting 40 mpg while accelerating faster than everyone else in practice is still pretty good. Besides the instant torque from the motors is so much better than a laggy diesel.

Have you driven a modern VW diesel? They are far from laggy.

Massive difference from the Merc diesels of old.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

D C posted:

They also don't meet emissions standards. All evidence is pointing to the idea that you can't have both.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As the old saying goes: fast, light, cheap... Something something butt plugs.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Twerk from Home posted:

China already got a refreshed Taurus based on a stretched Fusion platform with the 2.7 V6 Ecoboost, it's only going to die inside America.
Isn't the Lincoln Continental just going to be a cosmetic update of the Chinese stretched Fusion?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EnergizerFellow posted:

Isn't the Lincoln Continental just going to be a cosmetic update of the Chinese stretched Fusion?

It's expected to be a lot larger, with it's own bespoke 3.0 ecoboost. It's probably basically going to be a ford flex sedan with bentley styling.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

D C posted:

Still laggy compared to a petrol, especially the smaller capacity ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KillHour posted:

They also don't meet emissions standards. All evidence is pointing to the idea that you can't have both.

The new Merc engines do, and they're zippy as gently caress. I was really surprised how fast the diesel engine could get my Dad's ML up to speed, for a fairly small engine in a fairly big SUV. Also: going from a standard to an automatic is freaky when there's that kind of power around because all of a sudden "oh, gently caress me, it just downshifted!" and you're flying.