Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009
Is there going to be a more dedicated healer class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Flavahbeast posted:

skald/minstrel/bard were pretty popular in daoc because the only mounts in the game were taxis so runspeed was a huge deal, also skalds did some decent burst damage iirc

Minstrels could whip out a little cc and also sneak! Surprise ae sleep was hilarious in battlegrounds and I could sometimes pop a stealther before they open up.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skalds were kinda garbage in RvR after lvl30, their only contribution being runspeed. Minstrels could 1v1 much better and CC better. Bards could also AoE CC insanely well and buff everyone. All skalds got was okay melee ability instead of massive aoe CC

I just want to play bonedancer with a buffbot again. As long as a class can approximate that experience ill be happy.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 14, 2015

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Skalds were indeed mainly used for their Runspeed, if they did not have that ability they would never get into an 8-man.

However, they were not useless at all. Having access to a 2-hander as well as some instant DD's (and even a snare iirc) they were quite good at interrupting opposing healers and even peeling to protect your own healers.

Troll Skalds were also hard to distinguish from other midgard trolls so it wasn't as easy to pick them to take them down quickly. Very much unlike Minstrels and Bards.
A good bard was also incredibly hard to play in 8v8 as they usually had to lead, perform the initial crowd control AND manage to stay alive for that all important Endurance Buff.
As a skald (or minstrel) you were more free do to what you wanted, and aid in taking down players. Their dps was not amazing, but they did have very good burst damage to finish enemies off before they could get healed up, which is a very important thing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skald was fine, but the other 2 runspeed classes contributed far far more to the group.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

any guesses on the other classes?

D - Healers
H - Pet Casters
I - Stealth/Assassin

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Isn't stealth/assassin already there as scouts.
http://camelotunchained.com/v2/class-reveal-scout/

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's two other "stealth" characters with different poo poo, I thought.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Camouflage is a separate mechanic from stealth, which runs off their Veilstorm lore thing and is actual, WoW Rogue stealth. Two classes will have that but have distinct roles and systems.

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/stealth-unchained-our-next-stretch-goal-and-so-much-more-pictures/

Pretty good design read.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orv posted:

Camouflage is a separate mechanic from stealth, which runs off their Veilstorm lore thing and is actual, WoW Rogue stealth. Two classes will have that but have distinct roles and systems.

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/stealth-unchained-our-next-stretch-goal-and-so-much-more-pictures/

Pretty good design read.

quote:

Dark Age of Camelot is regarded by many as having the best stealth system in any MMORPG, and I think that Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning also had an interesting stealth system.
Hahah

He then goes on to list his criteria which the previous two games would not meet easily

his camo idea is just horrible in a video game, not because of balance but because of implementation and I don't expect him to be able to pull this off with his track record

the veil idea is ok though

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Wisps loving glow which seems like the opposite of stealth. To me scouts came off to me more like light, expendable, skirmishers. Hopefully that also means flitting about on the edges of fights and being a general nuisance. That was only thing I really enjoyed in GW2 RvR.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sorry, kinda wanna talk about this camo thing

I got it to work once in a game and it was daoc

at high levels most people tried to use the most rare and expensive dyes, I instead removed my dyes on my blademaster

The effect was I had this gray white armor. It did two things. It made me look like a guard and let me blend into the white trees. I got to scout with it without stealth by hiding behind a tree large enough to hide me and far enough away for name plates to not appear.

There is a lot of things that can make this just not work, like long distance tab targeting, auto selection when using an ability, clicking somewhere, or pretending it will work in an open field. You could do it, but I don't think that he can lead a team who could.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah I remember solo archers in green armor being real hard to see at range in Emain Macha

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

A wonderful artist could make the camo thing work then it would be ruined by any programmers or animators

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think if it was a mechanical model fade thing rather than a texture thing it might work alright but it's not something I expect to get a lot of use in the event that it even makes it to launch.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
So if camo is just like, the color of your clothing, how do classes like scout increase their concealment, or reduce others' with 'mark' abilities? What would reducing someone's concealment entail, throwing sparkles on their cloths?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Pavlov posted:

So if camo is just like, the color of your clothing, how do classes like scout increase their concealment, or reduce others' with 'mark' abilities? What would reducing someone's concealment entail, throwing sparkles on their cloths?

Isn't vision range a stat in this game and players outside of it just aren't even drawn? I guess concealment might just effectively reduce the enemy's vision range.

quote:

Complex statistic-based systems require players to make choices. In our game, players can “gimp” their character, either accidentally or on purpose
How much glue do I need to huff before this starts to sound like a good idea?

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 15, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If I didn't look at my DAoC shirt like once a month and think about the old times I would've refunded this by now. These classes look cool but are they really trying to animate and balance like 45 classes? Looks like they could cut half of these out and have a more reasonable time trying to get the game out within two years of their goals.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Puistokemisti posted:

How much glue do I need to huff before this starts to sound like a good idea?

If there aren't enough options to make bad builds then there aren't enough options to make interesting builds. Unless he's saying that there won't be any respec option at all, but if that ends up being the case I'll eat my hat

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

also afaik some classes they're talking about now aren't going to be in at launch

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

its warhammer all over again

Orv
May 4, 2011

its warhammer all over again

I don't want to defend Mark Jacobs, but they can't really be blamed for that one.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Flavahbeast posted:

If there aren't enough options to make bad builds then there aren't enough options to make interesting builds. Unless he's saying that there won't be any respec option at all, but if that ends up being the case I'll eat my hat

quote:

Three major types of stats
Primary – Stats that can be raised or lowered during character creation and that can also increase with use (and may at times decrease during the character’s lifespan)
Secondary – Stats that can’t usually change over the life of a character, and do not increase with use such as a character’s vision
Derived – Stats that are based on Primary and Secondary stats

quote:

Stat List – Secondary
Presence – Affects how NPCs react to the player-character, as well as the effectiveness of certain abilities
Clarity – Reduces the effects of Panic on the player-character
Hearing – Increases the player-character’s Detection rating
Mass – Increases the difficulty of pushing the player-character, and grants increased pushing power
:shrug:

The one preview video I watched didn't show those secondary stats in character creation and the whole idea that you can gimp your character is retarded but that's what they are saying. Of course, that first quote mentions vision as secondary stat that doesn't increase with use, except Vision is actually listed as derived stat from primary stat Eyesight, so they didn't manage to keep the story straight for a single page.

Curious that they don't seem to think it's possible to improve your interpersonal skills or your ability to handle panic. Goons at least will be relieved to know that your fatness is set at the beginning of your life and cannot be changed.

Even if they come to their senses and scrap secondary stats, you can still probably cripple your character at creation in ways that don't become apparent for couple months just with Bane/Boon system.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orv posted:

I don't want to defend Mark Jacobs, but they can't really be blamed for that one.

here in this thread orv decides that mark jacobs ceo of mythic entertainment can't be blamed for warhammer online or the sale of warhammer online to electronic arts

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

here in this thread orv decides that mark jacobs ceo of mythic entertainment can't be blamed for warhammer online or the sale of warhammer online to electronic arts

In anything connected to Games "pokemon, rpgs and video games are just a fad" Workshop, it's pretty safe to assume that the biggest gently caress up is G "small objects of jewel-like wonder" W.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm going to be updating the OP once all the classes are revealed. If someone could help me explain the stat/gearing system that would be ideal as I don't have a good handle on it yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stats and Gear:

In-dev, expect it to change.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
So are they going to mirror these classes so each faction's flavor of whatever basically works the same, or what?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Anoia posted:

So are they going to mirror these classes so each faction's flavor of whatever basically works the same, or what?

Every class works differently, within a set of "rules". While aesthetically interesting, I feel like it's going to be very, very hard to balance properly.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

Every class works differently, within a set of "rules". While aesthetically interesting, I feel like it's going to be very, very hard to balance properly.

Well, gently caress.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
How high is the potential to grief in this game?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

VeggieSmuggler posted:

You can grief yourself pretty hard by preordering right now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

VeggieSmuggler posted:

infinite since they don't have everything finalized

Orv
May 4, 2011
They have just enough finalized that unless they change pretty much everything else this is going to be a glorious two or three months of OP This Week shitshow.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Orv posted:

They have just enough finalized that unless they change pretty much everything else this is going to be a glorious two or three months of OP This Week shitshow.

Perhaps their reasoning is that since people will bitch regardless, might as while provide some justification.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
There is nothing wrong in Flavor of the Month OP classes. It keeps people rolling new characters, and it also creates an ever changing metagame in the Rock/Paper/Scissors model.
When one class does go into OP status where the Metagame can't compensate, they should just be dealt with by nerfing them.

Things like that happened in DaoC, have happened in MMO's through the ages, and still happen all the time in games like LoL.

Perfect "balance" by mirroring is boring.

Making 1 class exceptionally strong in this game doesn't mean that whole realm will only play as that class, because if they follow the DAoC model no class will really be self sustainable on the battlefield and will be missing critical utility abilities that hopefully will be spread over the various classes just like in DAoC.
GW2 made every class self sufficient so it didn't matter much what classes your zerg had, as long as they somewhat coordinated their attacks. They were even able to heal themselves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

flavor of the month op classes never happened in GW2

its been warrior for a long time

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Flavor of the week OP was Warhammer.

Here we go again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

There is nothing wrong in Flavor of the Month OP classes. It keeps people rolling new characters, and it also creates an ever changing metagame in the Rock/Paper/Scissors model.
When one class does go into OP status where the Metagame can't compensate, they should just be dealt with by nerfing them.

Things like that happened in DaoC, have happened in MMO's through the ages, and still happen all the time in games like LoL.

Perfect "balance" by mirroring is boring.

Making 1 class exceptionally strong in this game doesn't mean that whole realm will only play as that class, because if they follow the DAoC model no class will really be self sustainable on the battlefield and will be missing critical utility abilities that hopefully will be spread over the various classes just like in DAoC.
GW2 made every class self sufficient so it didn't matter much what classes your zerg had, as long as they somewhat coordinated their attacks. They were even able to heal themselves.

Example why these games cant work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

As long as the game has enough stuff to break before it implodes I'll be happy.

• Locked thread