Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Thin Privilege posted:

Though 'Tis but a scratch would be funnier if one of his arms fell off during a fight.

I do love how the robots/synths fall apart. Really satisfying taking limbs of droids with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Fallout 4, its really satisfying taming various animals and have them turn on their animal friends. Especially Yao-guai's.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've only just started playing but god I love how much the improved ghouls. They're no longer static figures that run up and swipe, rince and repeat, but I actually feel like I'm being rushed by a pack of zombies.

I was attacked by four or five of them, one of them legendary. After taking care of the regulars it just felt so good to dodge a lunge from the legendary one and see it ragdoll past me due to momentum, leaving it vulnerable just long enough for me to take out a leg so I could finish it off easily.

I love this game so much.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh god I had forgotten how much better they are. They flop around and are really unpredictable in their movement.
I'm shotgunning the best that I can but there will always be one that ducks my shot and bites my feet. gently caress!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fallout 4, I just found a town run by robots. They're farming and everything.

Edit: Also really love that you feel like a giant lumbering metal man inside of power armor.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Nov 16, 2015

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

pulp rag posted:

I'm just glad that the dialogue from the raiders are voiced more naturally. There are a bunch of convincing deliveries in there, which is a wonderful departure from "You like the sight of yer own BLAHD?"

The raiders like to joke around sometimes, and it almost makes me feel bad I'm turning their heads into chunky salsa with my rocket-powered sledgehammer. Almost.

I ran into a group of raiders in an old clothing store in the Fens and one of them told a (seriously) 5 minute long story about this kid that tried to join her group that was afraid of fire, so they pranked him by getting him shitcanned, tying a bunch of mattresses together into a raft, dumping him in the middle, lighting the whole thing on fire and pushing it into the river. Of course the kid freaked the gently caress out and ended up dying, but she describes as being so hilarious she fell down from laughing at which point in conversation I tossed a couple molotovs at her.

Speaking of which, I love that if you kill someone with a molotov or other fire damage they turn into a "burned" version of the corpse model.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

A pretty small thing in FallOut 4 again:
The rain hitting the screen looks pretty nice and natural.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG91bnFAGEg

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh god I had forgotten how much better they are. They flop around and are really unpredictable in their movement.
I'm shotgunning the best that I can but there will always be one that ducks my shot and bites my feet. gently caress!

Just shoot their legs in V.A.T.S. until it comes off, then abort. If they survive they just lay on the ground with this bewildered look and do nothing.

Crippling limbs in general has some interesting effects this time around instead of just "bad guy limps a little bit now."

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Just shoot their legs in V.A.T.S. until it comes off, then abort. If they survive they just lay on the ground with this bewildered look and do nothing.

Crippling limbs in general has some interesting effects this time around instead of just "bad guy limps a little bit now."

The VATS overhaul is probably the best thing that happened to the gameplay. There's a strategy to fighting that isn't just "use all your AP on headshots."

Hell, because of the accuracy penalty on the head, you're better off trying to get those outside of it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Gonna add to the Fallout love-in but I am flabbergasted that the game somehow turned collecting vendor trash into a compelling gameplay element with the crafting system. Basically, all the junk that would normally weigh you down in other games like old typewriters and toy cars can now be broken down into component parts for weapon and armor mods, and community improvement for your various settlements. I didn't quite realize how much this changed the dynamic of the scavenging aspect of the game until I realized I was selling unused ammunition to a general goods merchant in exchange for desk fans and broken cameras.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thin Privilege posted:

Head shots actually kill people in one shot, unlike pretty much every other game where it just takes a portion of their health away. Pretty sure in real life shooting someone in the head doesn't still allow them to continue to perfectly aim and shoot a machine gun at you. So yay for realism.

--this is in free aim, not vats. I don't like vats so I dunno if it's the same there.

E: every other game when you're not using a sniper rifle.

Is this a specific perk or something? Because I'm good at getting headshots but I killed a scientist last night who took like six straight to the face before dying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

darkwasthenight posted:

Instead I just started Farcry 3 and drat but do I love the movement mechanics.

I've just come off a huge FO:NV binge and while I love that game it's hardly got a fluent and natural feel to your character. Two hours into FC3 and I'm sliding down cliffs and ninja-ing through the underbrush and I love it. Barely even touched the plot because there are just so many pirates begging for a silent arrow or sneak takedown. It all feels very cinematic too; I just did an assassination mission where I snuck past half a dozen guards, lured the commander out from his hut with rocks, knifed him as I jumped off a roof and then hang-glidered off a cliff to safety while cackling madly. :ninja: It's the little things.

Yeah, just running around doing anything in that game was an absolute blast. The driving was okay but not as good as Farcry 2's, but I spent most of my time running everywhere anyway. Anytime I had a long trip to make, I could generally just grab a handglider anyway.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Is this a specific perk or something? Because I'm good at getting headshots but I killed a scientist last night who took like six straight to the face before dying.

Headshots actually just take of a chunk of health but it's enough to take most non-legendary, non-skull enemies down in one or two hits.

If it's taking you that many headshots to kill an unarmored enemy, you're either terribly underleveled, using a garbage weapon, or you actually missed the first five shots. Even using my worst gun, there's no way a human target would survive five shots to the anywhere without power armor.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Deport The Irish posted:

The VATS overhaul is probably the best thing that happened to the gameplay. There's a strategy to fighting that isn't just "use all your AP on headshots."

Hell, because of the accuracy penalty on the head, you're better off trying to get those outside of it.

I like that there's the option to quit out of VATS early if I can see the shots aren't landing or I crippled the enemy like I wanted. Knowing I'd wasted all my AP was always such a bad feeling in the previous games.

Hopefully it'll also help when the game inevitably bugs out and I get stuck just standing there getting beaten in slow motion.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kimmalah posted:

I like that there's the option to quit out of VATS early if I can see the shots aren't landing or I crippled the enemy like I wanted. Knowing I'd wasted all my AP was always such a bad feeling in the previous games.

Hopefully it'll also help when the game inevitably bugs out and I get stuck just standing there getting beaten in slow motion.

Hit VATS, first shot lands just as the guy steps behind a wall.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Because VATS now just slows down time, the chace-to-hit updates as they move. Knowing the big bad is rushing out of cover, you can pop VATS and line up your shots just as his head comes into view. Makes me feel like a John Woo character. Same goes for shooting grenades. You can't wait forever so you still need good reflexes.

There is a perk where, after tagging materials for search, it will highlight items that have that component. This also applies to containers even if they are locked. However, I missed out on a couple things because I got too conditioned to only pick up the stuff that was highlighted.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

malal posted:

I got to the castle fight in FO4.I was waaaay too low level (eight I think,) but was able to kill it.

I had the crit bar full, and then I knew I was in trouble when I got a crit shot with a fatman, and only did 1/3 damage to it. After rockets were gone I threw all my grenades, Took every drug I had (Med-X, psycho, jet, buffout, booze,) and ran up and killed it with a tire-iron axe.

That moment alone made the game worth buying, it was a great boss-fight.

I wanted the Castle bad, so I decided to tackle that boss and see what I was made of despite only having crappy starter weapons with minor mods and a few molotovs. Two hours and all of my ammo later I won by kiting her around the battlements and taking potshots with a pipe rifle to whittle her down a pixel of health at a time.

Imagine my surprise when my victory looting spree revealed a missile launcher laying in plain sight on the lower levels. :doh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Alien Isolation: there is an open area with body bags strewn all over the floor. Walking over a body bag makes a squish noise that's different to the normal sound of you walking around that area. There are some old arcade machines near that area too and some of them have white covers thrown over them. However you can still see the screen dimly light up and flicker beneath the covers.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hell, I'll add on to the FO4 handy train. I ain't proud.

I really enjoy the kind of storytelling they do just with the environment, specifically the corpses of those who died where they stood when the bombs initially fell. This was particularly eerie, if only because this time around you actually experience the event that killed them all. it was just a lovely October morning, people going out for coffee, just settling into the work day, then boom. Your character likely knew some of these skeletons, or worse, at least one of those feral ghouls. :gonk:

Then there's the skeletons of people who obviously survived the initial blast but died in hilarious/sad ways. There's a skeleton of a man who drank himself to death at the brewery, and an entire bar full of people in concord who just said gently caress it and did all the drugs and booze until it all went away. One of the satellite facilities had a locked room with a dead soldier who locked himself in just before the blast hit, given how pristine the junk in the room is. He died alone, with a cigar clenched in his teeth.

Man, that is depressing though. My other little thing involves the vault-tec salesman guy at the beginning. He acts fairly nervous and suspiciously glad to have finally caught up with my family and me. I don't know if it is explicitly stated elsewhere, but it was likely Vault-Tec had its salesmen on a quota system to guarantee them a place in a vault - seems like the kind of poo poo they'd do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

Hell, I'll add on to the FO4 handy train. I ain't proud.

I really enjoy the kind of storytelling they do just with the environment, specifically the corpses of those who died where they stood when the bombs initially fell. This was particularly eerie, if only because this time around you actually experience the event that killed them all. it was just a lovely October morning, people going out for coffee, just settling into the work day, then boom. Your character likely knew some of these skeletons, or worse, at least one of those feral ghouls. :gonk:

Now I'm kind of disappointed they didn't do more with this, or if they did I haven't found it yet.

Anyway all the halloween decorations around were a neat touch. In one of the cities I found a guy who locked himself in a security room with a ton of booze. There are a few areas where you find skeleton couples just sitting on vantage points, presumably enjoying their last view.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
My favorite Skelestory was in a bedroom where you find one male dressed skeleton looking like he's strangling another with a lady dressed skeleton off to the side.

Someone was trying to have a good time when the world ended.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nuebot posted:

Now I'm kind of disappointed they didn't do more with this, or if they did I haven't found it yet.

Anyway all the halloween decorations around were a neat touch. In one of the cities I found a guy who locked himself in a security room with a ton of booze. There are a few areas where you find skeleton couples just sitting on vantage points, presumably enjoying their last view.

There is at least one instance where you directly interact with something from before the war. It's in the town of Goodneighbor.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Calaveron posted:

There is at least one instance where you directly interact with something from before the war. It's in the town of Goodneighbor.

Two somethings if you talk to people in the right order.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:bandwagon:
Even though it's not really a "little thing", I loving adore the weapon crafting system. I started with a lovely pipe pistol and ended up with something roughly equivalent to a light machine gun! Tire iron tomahawks, automatic laser pistols, revolver sniper rifles, I can make a friggen Obrez and :circlefap:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Deport The Irish posted:

My favorite Skelestory was in a bedroom where you find one male dressed skeleton looking like he's strangling another with a lady dressed skeleton off to the side.

Someone was trying to have a good time when the world ended.

There's one like that in the speak easy with a bloody knife on the ground.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

A cool little thing just happened to me in Diamond City. I stepped out of the Dugout after sleeping for 24 hours and as I'm heading back to the market, I hear a security guard bark saying something like "It's Halloween, but I bet all we'll get is tricks, no treats." I pulled up my Pipboy and sure enough it was October 31st. I wonder if there are anymore holiday barks and if they are different between cities.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ShootaBoy posted:

:bandwagon:
Even though it's not really a "little thing", I loving adore the weapon crafting system. I started with a lovely pipe pistol and ended up with something roughly equivalent to a light machine gun! Tire iron tomahawks, automatic laser pistols, revolver sniper rifles, I can make a friggen Obrez and :circlefap:

When I tricked out a 10mm auto pistol with the most damage and a recon scope, I became renewed.

Oh, also nice little thing - the Vault-Boy Headlamp. I won't say what it does but by Jesus it does not disappoint.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Saw something in God Hand that I'd never seen before today. One of the enemies got on his knees and started pleading to not be beat up and when I went over to him, he did an uppercut on my junk taking me from full HP to one HP. What a game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

When I tricked out a 10mm auto pistol with the most damage and a recon scope, I became renewed.

Oh, also nice little thing - the Vault-Boy Headlamp. I won't say what it does but by Jesus it does not disappoint.

Does it do anything special? It doesn't seem like an especially effective lamp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It lets you do this:

but with Fallout.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of the FO4 crafting system, augmenting legendary weapons adds a lot to it. Because legendaries all have abilities that don't appear on other items, you can arrange your mods to take best advantage of them, so it's much harder to have the one true gun for every type. I have a never-ending combat shotgun, and another one that sets people on fire, so the never ending gets the automatic receiver for just laying down a hail of death and the fire one gets the advanced high power. I'm still on the lookout for a neverending double barrel because the fire rate on one of those fully upgraded is nearly 200 (while a full auto combat shotgun is closer to 33).

Also holy poo poo my Explosive Submachine Gun is hilarious for hosing down crowds and ragdolling them around a room; it's doubly great for ghoul hordes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorite thing about the weapon crafting system is that it makes every weapon viable if you're willing to invest in it. I tricked out the 10mm pistol you get at the very start of the game and I'm still maining it at level 20. I've got extended mags, long ported barrel, whatever receiver makes it do a ton of damage, sharpshooter's grip, recon scope, all kinds of poo poo on it keeping it competitive with everything else I've found/crafted.

And then I renamed it Nora because what's the point of a revenge quest if you can't get weird with your obsession.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I found the cheers bar, funnily enough named the "Prost Bar":

So Norm's dead

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nuebot posted:

It's a HORRIBLE lamp, which is exactly what makes it so Vault-Tec :haw:

Also tonight i was pleasantly surprised to find I could mix and match armor parts but still paint them all the same scheme for the bonus. I haven't even started tricking out my settlers with armor and weapons I take from my foes and pimp out for fun and exp. I probably should move on with the main quest someday.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I wasn't going to bother with FO4 after it followed FO3 over NV but this thread has made me remember that even if the story was lacklustre and the world didn't make sense, I had so much fun loving about in that game, enough to invest another 100 hours in another version (once the game's modded to the eyeballs).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

I wasn't going to bother with FO4 after it followed FO3 over NV but this thread has made me remember that even if the story was lacklustre and the world didn't make sense, I had so much fun loving about in that game, enough to invest another 100 hours in another version (once the game's modded to the eyeballs).

It's good now even without mods and it's definitely not a repeat of Fallout 3. They've overhauled a lot of stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

It's a HORRIBLE lamp, which is exactly what makes it so Vault-Tec :haw:

You can also put the vault-boy light on Mining Helmet. By the way, if you wear a mining helmet and turn on your pip-boy light, it'll use the helmet's light instead.

Literally Kermit posted:

I haven't even started tricking out my settlers with armor and weapons I take from my foes and pimp out for fun and exp. I probably should move on with the main quest someday.

I discovered that you can give your settlers different weapons and they'll use them with infinite ammo as long as they have at least 1 of that guns ammo in their inventory. For example, to arm a settlement's guards with combat rifles they'll actually use, drop a single .45 bullet into their inventory as well.

Sadly, this doesn't work with companions.

Lotish posted:

Also holy poo poo my Explosive Submachine Gun is hilarious for hosing down crowds and ragdolling them around a room; it's doubly great for ghoul hordes.

Thinking about renaming it to GHOUL FUCKER

(yes, each individual pellet does 15 points of explosive damage)

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Nov 17, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

You can also put the vault-boy light on Mining Helmet. By the way, if you wear a mining helmet and turn on your pip-boy light, it'll use the helmet's light instead.

I discovered that you can give your settlers different weapons and they'll use them with infinite ammo as long as they have at least 1 of that guns ammo in their inventory. For example, to arm a settlement's guards with combat rifles they'll actually use, drop a single .45 bullet into their inventory as well.

Sadly, this doesn't work with companions.

Thinking about renaming it to GHOUL FUCKER

(yes, each individual pellet does 15 points of explosive damage)
Wait, I've been making sure my settlers have plenty of ammo for nothing? I just started and haven't even had a raid yet but that's good to know.

Also yeah, every now and then I'm struck by the amount of tiny quality of life improvements like not having to actually open each container to see what's in them. They really improved on a lot of minor things.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I tested it by giving a dude a rifle and a single thing of ammo, pissing him off, and then letting him shoot me until I died.

Testing is still in progress for whether or not they also get unlimited ammo for fat- mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, I tested it by giving a dude a rifle and a single thing of ammo, pissing him off, and then letting him shoot me until I died.

Testing is still in progress for whether or not they also get unlimited ammo for fat- mans.

Finally, a use for all those guns I don't use anymore but am too attached to to simply scrap or sell.