Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Really? When Fallout 3 had the Brotherhood of Steel as literal Knights in Shining Armour here to save the day from the nasty Enclave and the mean Super Mutants, not to mention Liberty Prime debuted in that game.
maybe he means the tone of the world in general 'cuz the commonwealth is pretty well established and you never really get a great scope of how much of a threat anything is because you're gunning your way from point a to b 100% of the time while the few settlements there are with real characters are practically nonexistent? i dunno i'm just spitballing here. maybe it's because the sheer number of locales is so overwhelming but i can't really get a strong grip of the world in fo4 vs. fo3- it feels like there should be more to settlements beyond the minigame and mmo quests associated with 'em.
i guess i mostly wish that diamond city and goodneighbor had more to do in them- especially diamond city. i keep waiting for a quest that lets me curbstomp all the rich snobby dudes and i've yet to encounter one

Coolwhoami posted:

Why is it such a stretch that not so single female lawyer can use power armour when literally every loving character in the game can?
where's the mod that lets me put the dog in power armor
check and mate amigo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fereydun posted:

yeah i think this is pretty much an unanimous complaint folks have with the folks
seriously though why does the 'get more info' response progress the dialogue, it's infuriating

the GOAT test is actually there to tell your teenaged character who may or may not be an incredibly old man/woman in disguise that they are in fact, the greatest of all time
i forgot to ask but is it ever revealed where the super mutants in the commonwealth come from? i assume they didn't wander in from DC or else there maybe might've been a quest relating to that (??) so is it just like an institute thing

did you check your storage? are they linked by trade routes? the other places might be eating into your supply. as for the other guy, i think maybe he hit his limit on items? my purifier wouldn't store more than it's base limit of water so i'd have to take it out and put it in a container nearby so it'd keep generating the consumables

Nothing changes in storage at all, that's sorta how I know it isn't being added, and the only supply line I have is to Red Rocket, and there's nothing in there but junk.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, that was the other point I was going to make: there's this really weird MMO-esque vein that runs through the questing in Fallout 4.

After wasting enough of my life on MMOs up to World of Warcraft, I've developed an intense allergic reaction to anything MMO-related. Can't stand the poo poo anymore.

[e]: Even in Fallout 3, Megaton was at least a tiny bit foreboding because you had a giant gently caress-off nuke in the middle of town that could theoretically go off. I know when I first played Fallout 3 in 2008 I was pretty wary of stepping too close to the nuke and the crazy fuckers worshiping it as a pseudo-diety.

There's also the class conflict situation with Tenpenny Tower between the ghouls and affluent human residents.

Is it weird to anyone else that the rest of Boston/Cambridge is seemingly still intact after the Great Nuclear War yet only a small portion of it is populated in a baseball field. I get that there's invading Super Mutants or whatever, but it's implausible that a.) the nuke that went off right outside of Sanctuary 200 years prior to the present didn't totally vaporize Boston and b.) Even if it didn't stand, that the inhabitants wouldn't spread back out in 200 years' time. It seems less implausible than the shantytown of Megaton comparatively speaking IMO.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 17, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Fereydun posted:

where's the mod that lets me put the dog in power armor
check and mate amigo!!

There needs to be dog power armour that makes dogmeat look like Rush from Megaman, with his head sticking out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

All walls will have a gap big or small, deal with it.

Structures

Ok gently caress ever going into the wall section and try making a building, all those parts are complete rear end and will only frustrate you endlessly.

Wish I saw this before I tried in Red Rocket because boy did putting the walls up suck rear end. I had to use Wall - End to cover up the holes for the walls covering the shack stairs up to the top of the gas station. Walls only seem to snap when they feel like it and god knows about the corner pieces. It's still fun playing SimFallout but this is probably going to be all I do for it outside prefabs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

Wish I saw this before I tried in Red Rocket because boy did putting the walls up suck rear end. I had to use Wall - End to cover up the holes for the stairs up to the top of the gas station. Walls only seem to snap when they feel like it and god knows about the corner pieces.

Everything is just easier with prefabs, I was just using the complete prefab houses intill I learned how easy it is to use the floor and ceiling blocks.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
CURIE Follower Story Spoilers Ahead :frogsiren:

Has anyone else encountered an annoying bug with Curie after you get her a humanoid body; wherein she constantly picks up ammo and weapons off dead enemies, uses them over her default weapons then switches to fists when in melee? Here is my hopeful solution:

Along with 20,000 cells hopefully she never has need to swap it away, ever.

Edit: oh god forgot to timg so sorry

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 17, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm also waiting for a Nexus mod that inserts "AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!" with accompanying music every time you start up VATS and make a kill.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I think my brotherhood quest is bugged, because it tells me to speak to danse and last I tried it didn't advance anything (I don't even get a cutscene), he just steers me back to initiation. Do I have to just do more Quartermastery and whatnot?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

I think my brotherhood quest is bugged, because it tells me to speak to danse and last I tried it didn't advance anything (I don't even get a cutscene), he just steers me back to initiation. Do I have to just do more Quartermastery and whatnot?

Do more of the main quest.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

re: building chat

I hate using the premade sections because I don't understand why every piece needs 2 support columns. It makes the place full of beams that you have to place items around and it sucks.

It would be nice if the prefab stuff played a little nicer with the regular wall sections. As long as you put down a floor to snap the walls to then the wall sections work well enough, but there really needs to be a way to place your own individual studs or supports or whatever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

titties posted:

I hate using the premade sections because I don't understand why every piece needs 2 support columns. It makes the place full of beams that you have to place items around and it sucks.

It would be nice if the prefab stuff played a little nicer with the regular wall sections. As long as you put down a floor to snap the walls to then the wall sections work well enough, but there really needs to be a way to place your own individual studs or supports or whatever.

Supports would have been nice for this Red Rocket project too, it's why I was using walls to cover up in the first place.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

titties posted:

Use the prefab floor and ceiling to lay the ground work and outside walls. Then once the outside walls are complete remove the prefab floors and ceiling and go around and put in normal floods and ceilings.

Holy poo poo I can think ideas by meself!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

titties posted:

Or we could have infinite time and effort on our hands and be like Robbaz and build this sort of poo poo:

And then detail it like this:

It's a-fuckin'-mazin.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Icedude posted:

How does settlers producing food work anyway? Is it producing up to 6 food, or is it only being able to work 6 plants?

If it's the latter, I can't see any reason to plant anything other than Mutfruit.

Corn + Mutfruit + Tato + Purified water = Adhesive.

Plant your rear end a whole bunch of each.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Commissar Budgie posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I turned Sanctuary into a massive water farm with 500+ units, but I've stopped getting purified water. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sanctuary is all kinds of buggy. Do not build resources like that there. Not for profit at least.

I've noticed that it reports as being 0, 0, and 0 on several resources when i'm out of the cell it's located in.

Also the Castle is buggy too. The radio transmitter will glitch out and not be active when it is active due to the minuteman NPC refusing to man it. Which may mean that artillery won't work for you if you don't do events in a certain way (And even then I haven't checked if you can still use it.). Which means you can't finish the main quest if you're being pro-Minutemen.

Just a friendly heads up. Not going to spoil that because holy poo poo that's a huge bug. Avoiding it by loading an earlier save is the only way i've found around it so far. Which would suck if you discovered that 20+ hours in and had to lose all your progress.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 17, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fereydun posted:

you can pretty much choose to believe that it gave you amnesia by asking dumb as hell questions that make no sense from a character perspective of someone who's been out west but make sense perfectly for a new player, an amnesiac or someone who actually hasn't been out there
i think that's actually a cool touch in their design for NV dialogue stuff

meanwhile i didn't know this game still had random encounters. at least, i think it was random? i ran into a funeral for some guy near salem in the fog and the way the npcs were named it seemed like a random encounter given that they didn't have any special names despite referring to each other and the dead guy by name in actual dialogue

edit:

he doesn't? wow that's horseshit. what does he give you? the juice?
it seems like both rewards for the quest are kinda lame

both choices end with you killing him because bethesda lol

Elderbean posted:

Having an established background is really dumb when you remember that female characters are cannon lawyers who leave the vault knowing how to use military grade weapons and armor. At least in the other games you could imagine that your character got some kind of training in the vault or something.

It's harder to ignore when your character is literally a lawyer housewife.

someone said that her backstory was that she was also in the military, she just had another career unlike deadbeat dad

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Archonex posted:

Sanctuary is all kinds of buggy. Do not build resources like that there. Not for profit at least.

:agreed: Half my settlers just stand around behind the building with the workshop bench in it. Including Codsworth who will move if I tell him to but hten moves back each time I travel there.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
So I worked out the Hardware Town ambush before they got me and decided to throw open the door and toss in a Molotov rather than face a gunfight, because my shooting skills still aren't great.

Two burned to death instantly, but the main dude comes charging through the flames at me. Just as he passes the other doorway, Piper steps out, knocks him on his rear end with the butt of her rifle, then shoots him point blank in the head.

Wasteland journos are cold.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Next time, I hope Bethesda just ditches any overarching plot, and makes a "founding Shady Sands" simulator. You and ten a dozen survivors awaken from a vault, clear the bugs out of the nearest group of ramshackle shelters, and try to make a home in the wasteland. Same gameplay, just with maybe a strategic territorial element instead of sham "roleplaying."

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I rode idiot savant pretty hard and did ALOT of reloads just trying to get it to proc on quests up to around lvl 55 and then it became a if I dont get it in 10 tries oh well thing. I didn't even go into diamond city in till around lvl 55.

Good tip for high int chars using idiot savant is not to get lvl 3 because the lvl 3 is its own proc and it uses the same sound as the bonus exp proc. Which means you have to wait intill you see the exp reward from the quest to know if you got the bonus. This can add up to like 10-20 seconds to each of your reloads. I had to console it down to lvl 2.

Why not use the console if you want to cheat to give yourself levels? It would save you hours of time and you wouldn't seem like a crazy person.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Okay so I decided to take Codsworth with my new crafting/sneak/guns character and I'm really starting to like him. He calls me mum or Miss Spider and doesn't complain nearly as much as I expected when I pick up every stray piece of junk that I see.

But what really cemented my affection for him was resolving the Covenant quest line. As soon as I walked into the Compound I knew I had to murder all those assholes, and he was totally gung ho so we shot, burned, and sliced them all to bloody pieces. What more could you want from a sassy robobutler?

I really hope all the companions are this fun, I may have to wait until another character to take Lone Wanderer. I can't believe I'm thinking about making alts in a Bethesda game... what has the world come to?

titties
May 10, 2012

Re: making buildings

Here's the bar I made for my ungrateful bastard settlers. I started by laying flooring on an existing foundation from one of the cleared houses in Sanctuary. The entryway was made by snapping a foundation flooring piece on:

The alcove for the jukebox was made the same way:

The walls all snapped to the floors, and the roof tiles snapped nicely to the walls and each other:

These worthless fucks do not give a single poo poo and barely even come inside.

Really want some walls that weren't made from rusting corrugated tin and old fencing. Someone earlier said they were creating nice walls without holes but I did not see a bit of plaster or a wall that didn't let light stream through it anywhere :colbert:

E:

Tenzarin posted:

Holy poo poo I can think ideas by meself!

I mean I get all that and I can obviously make a square building. Using the prefabs, then removing them, then building regular walls to replace them isn't any easier than just laying down floor tiles and using that to snap the walls.

I just want to be able to build a single post that works like the foundation tiles do.

titties fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 17, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ending question, does the brotherhood still build legacy prime for the end mission if you never convince Madison to defect back to the brotherhood? She seemed pretty important to rebuilding the drat thing.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Red Rocket is the superior personal settlement.

Pickpocket is the superior utility skill. I stole all the Brotherhood's power armors by taking their fusion cores, except for one Knight on the Prydwen who has an actual infinite amount of power cores. I call him Red Rocket, because he's basically my gas station. When I encounter Brotherhood NPCs on far-away locations I've never visited, they are now already not wearing power armor. That's kind of a neat touch.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

So I got an Explosive Combat Shotgun from a legendary dog. Later I killed a Legendary Deathclaw and got a lovely piece of metal armour v:shobon:v

Anyone know if there's a guaranteed suit of T-51 anywhere? I'm level 29 and just found a full X-01 at the South Boston Checkpoint so I think I've levelled way above it and missed it. There were about 3 suits of T-60 at the National Guard place earlier in the game but I've never seen a T-51...

titties
May 10, 2012

Zodium posted:

Red Rocket is the superior personal settlement.

This is tits imo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I cheated to give myself local leader 1 and 2 because its retarded that the main character doesn't understand shops.

Vargs posted:

Why not use the console if you want to cheat to give yourself levels? It would save you hours of time and you wouldn't seem like a crazy person.

Meh, I like to lvl up with the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Tenzarin posted:

Fallout 1: guy finding a water chip
Fallout 2: guy finding a gecko
Fallout 3: guy finding dad

Fully voiced is good but every game except the first had a complete back story for your character.

Those aren't complete backstories.

Reason posted:

But like, all you know is that your person lives with a spouse and has a kid. You can still make up in your head or whatever any of the other poo poo.

Roleplaying games are meant to give you options within the game to act on the stuff you 'make up in your head'. And you know a lot more than just 'has a spouse, kid' as a result of the limited choices available to you in dialogue.

You can choose wether you're angry you don't have the kid you love, or wether you're a bit more sad that you don't have the kid you love. Nothing in any of Bethesda, Obsidian or any other developer's Fallout games has been as constricting as Fallout 4 is with regards to your character, even mechanically.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 17, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dan Didio posted:

Those aren't complete backstories.

Roleplaying games are meant to give you options within the game to act on the stuff you 'make up in your head'. And you know a lot more than just 'has a spouse, kid' as a result of the limited choices available to you in dialogue.

You can choose wether you're angry you don't have the kid you love, or wether you're a bit more sad that you don't have the kid you love. Nothing in any of Bethesda, Obsidian or any other developer's Fallout games has been as constricting as Fallout 4 is with regards to your character, even mechanically.

You can pretend you character was raped, is a sex slave, or any sexual preference you want. Nothing is stopping you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Tenzarin posted:

You can pretend you character was raped, is a sex slave, or any sexual preference you want. Nothing is stopping you.

It's really weird that those are the examples you immediately go to, is everything okay at home?

Nothing substantial in the game supports roleplaying either, you have a pre-defined character, who you can't examine, explore or expound upon through different choices or skills because what is there is incredibly limited and homogenized. This game isn't comparable in any roleplaying department to Fallout 1, 2 or 3, and is considerably lacking compared to each.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Am I the only one who immediately figured that Nora was a military lawyer? It sounds like PA training is something they cover in basic in the Fallout universe anyway, so it didn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

It's really weird that those are the examples you immediately go to, is everything okay at home?

Nothing substantial in the game supports roleplaying either, you have a pre-defined character, who you can't examine, explore or expound upon through different choices or skills because what is there is incredibly limited and homogenized. This game isn't comparable in any roleplaying department to Fallout 1, 2 or 3, and is considerably lacking compared to each.

You're just not seeing the opportunities Bethesda is affording you. My character has brain damage from faulty cryogenics and thinks he's Donald Trump, the only man who can make America great again. He constantly says inappropriate and badly formulated things, is wildly inconsistent, and mostly wanders around aimlessly upsetting other people while hoarding things for himself. (My Red Rocket base was going to be a taller Trump Tower, but the item limit is too small.)

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Zodium posted:

Pickpocket is the superior utility skill. I stole all the Brotherhood's power armors by taking their fusion cores, except for one Knight on the Prydwen who has an actual infinite amount of power cores.

Doesn't this make it so that every time you enter the stolen suits, it counts as stealing? I usually end up having my companion get into them since that doesn't count as stealing for some reason.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dan Didio posted:

I hope this isn't a reference to the removal of skills, because skills were complete trash in fallout and are complete trash in every game they've been implemented in. From video games to tabletop, skills are the worst convention and I am glad they are dying off.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MohShuvuu posted:

Doesn't this make it so that every time you enter the stolen suits, it counts as stealing? I usually end up having my companion get into them since that doesn't count as stealing for some reason.

I store them at my personal settlement in Red Rocket and leave companions in Sanctuary. Dogmeat doesn't judge.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I just assumed the female protagonist was a military lawyer on maternity leave. It's weird that you guys immediately assumed housewife when she has a friggin' law degree.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I wonder how easy it would be to mod the feral ghoul limb-crippling dismemberment onto human enemies. Bring back one-armed enemies spraying you with their guns from Soldier of Fortune 2, heck yeah

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Luke Smith posted:

I got a combat rifle that does +10 plasma damage and can melt guys, it's super good.

I think my game is bugged or something. Literally the only(and I'm talking literally, nothing other than) legendaries that have dropped for me have been chest pieces. Just different types and mods on chest pieces. Is my game broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I like Psycho Jet.

I like it a lot.

• Locked thread