Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, what is up with Bill Maher? He seems to be getting more crotchety as he gets older. He was on Colbert tonight and absolutely trashed Colbert's Catholicism. Yes, yes, Maher's super anti-religion, that's his main schtick and all, but he would show some sense of cordiality when he was on another person's show at the very least. And on last week's episode, he keeps bringing up these inane strawmen that the left doesn't attack the lovely things that radical Islam does like female circumcision, and killing the gays cause of "political correctness". Like, seriously Bill? Seriously? :psyduck:

Bill Maher is extremely bad, he just also happens to make fun of conservatives/Republicans at the same time so he flies under some peoples' radars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just can't get over the irony that the staunchest evangelicals are the ones clamoring to turn away middle eastern people seeking refuge at Christmas, while complaining that Christmas is being marginalized

Between this and the whole Prosperity Gospel thing, I think that the wingnuts who are assuming we're going to be the favored people in the rapture may be in for a surprise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Governor Ige of Hawaii said he'd be fine with welcoming Syrian refugees. I know it's only symbolic but it's nice to hear. I guess this is the new litmus test for whether you live in a state run by shitheads or not?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Epic High Five posted:

I just can't get over the irony that the staunchest evangelicals are the ones clamoring to turn away middle eastern people seeking refuge at Christmas, while complaining that Christmas is being marginalized

I don't know what you're referring to, but probably, neither do they.

E: unless it's a reference to Santa Claus being an adapted version of a Turkish saint, my bad.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fried Chicken posted:

Have you ever heard of "Southies"?

You keep using this term incorrectly, dude. Southie is exclusively a term for South Boston itself, not for its residents.

What you're doing is the equivalent of calling New Yorkers "Big Apples"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't know what you're referring to, but probably, neither do they.

E: unless it's a reference to Santa Claus being an adapted version of a Turkish saint, my bad.

No room at the inn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQy8v0d_qo

Perhaps that's the joke.

moller fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 17, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

moller posted:

No room at the inn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQy8v0d_qo

Perhaps that's the joke.

That's not a joke, I wasn't raised religious and I've only read some parts of the OT/NT for college classes so I just had to google "no room at the inn."

But remember, Jesus was white.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Massachusetts just may still be reeling from some kind of past terrorist attack. Maybe one involving refugees...

Not saying it's right but is it a mystery as to why MA would be all NIMBY about refugees after two refugees conducted the Boston Marathon bombing?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(Paraphrased)

"It's better to let 9,999 innocent Syrians get hosed over by a U.S. block on immigration than to possibly let in 1 'expertly trained' ISIS operative" - Marco Rubio, noted son of Cuban refugees.

The mind boggles. :psyduck: Just find and replace 'ISIS operative' with 'Moscow-trained Communist spy' for an equivalent Cold War reading.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I had to delete my FB account because of all this horrific poo poo.

What the gently caress is wrong with Americans? :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thump! posted:

I haven't used Facebook in over a year, how bad was it getting? From a scale of "I think Muslims are a bit shifty-eyed and suspicious" to "immediate genocide and concentration camps now"?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I haven't used Facebook in over a year, how bad was it getting? From a scale of "I think Muslims are a bit shifty-eyed and suspicious" to "immediate genocide and concentration camps now"?

Depends on who you have on your friends list.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The right is calling for ending taking in refugees, and some people want to go to war.

The left is arguing over profile filters.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Depends on who you have on your friends list.

I get your point, but I'm still interested in Thump's personal take.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Hogan said 'reasoned, careful' decision on Syrian refugees whatever that means

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bal-hogan-promises-reasoned-careful-decision-on-syrian-refugees-20151116-story.html

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish the Republican party could be more like George W Bush. After 9/11 he came out talking about how Muslims were not out enemies and they were being misrepresented by a small group of extremists and we had to protect and be kind to our neighbors and poo poo. And he ensured innocent relatives of Bin Laden who had nothing to do with it were moved safely out of the country so they wouldn't get murdered(some liberals actually attached him for this).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hickenlooper said he's fine with accepting refugees. Kind of surprised he actually took a stance since he seems so allergic to them under normal circumstances.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

(Paraphrased)

"It's better to let 9,999 innocent Syrians get hosed over by a U.S. block on immigration than to possibly let in 1 'expertly trained' ISIS operative" - Marco Rubio, noted son of Cuban refugees.

The mind boggles. :psyduck: Just find and replace 'ISIS operative' with 'Moscow-trained Communist spy' for an equivalent Cold War reading.

:commissar:Literally WH40K.txt :commissar:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I will admit that I only voted for McAuliffe because Cuccinelli was trash and I expected him to be nothing special but he consistently makes me happy I voted for him. :unsmith:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/article_6af9dcd8-c623-5fc2-9881-818fe427c740.html

The loving Cooch even takes some time to remind us what we narrowly missed by not electing his worthless rear end.

quote:

“Nice to see some GOP governors trying to protect us since @POTUS won’t,” Cuccinelli wrote on Twitter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What year is this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

What year is this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bob Taft, a.k.a. "Mr. Republican", 1939.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thump! posted:

Jingoism and Xenophobia aren't unique to the US.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Just saw a meme on Facebook saying we've been at peace with Japan since 9-Sep-1945 and that it's time to make peace with Islam. Yup. gently caress.

The "Country of Islam"?

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Crain posted:

:commissar:Literally WH40K.txt :commissar:
PJ media has an amazing contender for most 40k response to Paris:

quote:

In 1940, Hitler was able to literally walk through the French army because the nation had been so traumatized by the horror of World War I that they had lost the psychic energy to protect themselves.

You get the same feeling of hopelessness from many Frenchmen today.
France's inability to power the Astronomican to guide us against Islam is the real story here.

e: link

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

What year is this?

Circa 1492, I believe.

Now we just need an Spanish American Inquisition to root out the betrayers from the conversos. :tinfoil:

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Could someone tell me why it's stupid to be wary of refugees when one of the Paris bombers was disguised as a refugee?

Legitimately asking, I usually respect the opinions here but I can totally see why Americans are no longer interested in getting involved in this crisis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Could someone tell me why it's stupid to be wary of refugees when one of the Paris bombers was disguised as a refugee?

Legitimately asking, I usually respect the opinions here but I can totally see why Americans are no longer interested in getting involved in this crisis.

It's discrimination, it is a disproportionate response, and it plays into the narrative that Daesh themselves wants the West to fall into to further their own goals.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Unholy Ghost posted:

One of the Paris bombers registered as a refugee using false documentation, and then went back to France using his real passport.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Did that end up being confirmed?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

1) We don't know that that is true.

2) The US has a much more extensive screening process than anything the EU does (we have let in over 700K refugees from the middle east since 2002 and none of them has ever been arrested for terrorism)

3) The people who are saying that are already proven racists or demagogues who are trying to appeal to racists and islamophobes to score cheap political points.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
America has something like 750,000 refugees since 9/11 and only three have ever had terrorist convictions (for providing money to AQ in Iraq).

Statistically refugees are one of the least likely groups to go terrorist, and before they can come to America have to receive very thorough background checks, and most of them are women and children.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Geoff Peterson posted:

If it helps, everyone involved says that it was horrible timing and a horrible angle on the photo. Apparently, the attacker was swinging the flag at his target rather than trying to impale him.

(I don't think that makes it much less horrible?)

Plus the guy that looks likes he holding the black guy for the kill shot was actually trying to help him up and out of the way

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As far as I'm concerned, Syrian refugees are only connected with terrorism in that they are desperately fleeing it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Thump! posted:

Our society trains us to be willfully ignorant which leads to racism, xenophobia, and paranoia.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The Unholy Ghost posted:

because math

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

In addition to the other points (most notably that there's drat near zero evidence of refugees being a security risk), rejecting refugees is exactly what IS wants us to do. We are literally falling over ourselves to fulfil their goals for them because Brown People. It's sentencing tens of thousands (at the lowball) of innocents to death and giving IS more soldiers, and every drat fool who's clammoring to reject all refugees is going out of their way to try and provide.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Because, as you said, it was a disguise. He wasn't really a refugee, all the attackers were EU citizens. So blaming the refugees for the fact that others are pretending to be then is stupid.

More to the point, getting people and governments to turn against the refugees, to "eliminate the gray zone" was explicitly their goal. Strategy 101: if your enemy wants you to do something, don't

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Because, as you said, it was a disguise. He wasn't really a refugee, all the attackers were EU citizens. So blaming the refugees for the fact that others are pretending to be then is stupid.

More to the point, getting people and governments to turn against the refugees, to "eliminate the gray zone" was explicitly their goal. Strategy 101: if your enemy wants you to do something, don't

What if instead of that we super did what they were trying to get us to do, but like 100 times more than they even dreamed?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Jeb! is apparently calling for keeping all the (non-Christian) refugees in safe zones, so it's also the former Yugoslavia all over again.

In case anyone wondering what's that like for the lucky few able to escape Syria without being killed, it boils down to starvation and kid labor.

quote:

Mustafa, Hana’s 10-year-old cousin, arrived moments later, along with his mother, Suraiya, who began tying the purple laces on his sneakers. He still wore the same green flannel pajamas he had worn for days; clothing was in short supply. Five minutes later, Hana’s 10-year-old cousin Ala’a arrived, prompting Hana’s first smile of the day. A small crowd quickly formed. Soon enough, the temperature would begin to soar, but now there was a chill in the air, and when people started moving toward the truck, Hana ran: She and Mustafa liked to sit with their backs against the cab, so the others would shelter them from the wind.

Today they were picking cucumbers. Earlier in the season, which began in the spring, they picked almonds, a job Hana sometimes missed — at least the trees offered some shade from the sun.

quote:

Everyone at the settlement had known that kind of terror. “Please don’t tell me your story,” she would say to her friends, “because if you do, it will make me think of what happened to me.” And then she would tell them exactly what had happened to her. Whenever a disturbing news story about Syria played on a television they had in the tent, the children cried. Hana, too — not so much because they were all disturbed by the latest horror, she thought, but because they were reliving their own.

One of her favorite cousins at the settlement was Abboudi, who was also 12. One day, when he was still living in Syria, militia fighters in masks — presumably extremists in the opposition — walked into his school pulling a Syrian Army soldier. The men in masks forced the students to form a circle in the courtyard. They stood behind the students to make sure they could not run away. Then they shot the man in the back of the head, and cut his head off, to send a message to anyone sympathetic to the government. For Abboudi, that was the end of his childhood as he knew it. He never returned to school in Syria, and several months later, his family joined Hana’s at the settlement.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/magazine/the-displaced-hana.html?_r=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Just to be fair, three attackers are still unidentified, including the fake Syrian. That said I agree completely and wouldn't be surprised if they're French or Belgian.

• Locked thread