Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Megadeth, Judas Priest, Dethklok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mercedes posted:

Goons, I've recently started to really enjoy metal. August Burns Red is what really got me into it. Any DLC or CDLC I should look at?

Dethklok, Mastodon

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Play Number Thirteen because it's fun as hell and pretty easy once you get your speed up

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

baka kaba posted:

Play Number Thirteen because it's fun as hell and pretty easy once you get your speed up

I liked the other Red Fang song better :P

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

rt4 posted:

Megadeth, Judas Priest, Dethklok

You forgot Iron Maiden. Plus Fear of the Dark is actually relatively easy to play outside of the solos.

Also: Slayer, Pantera, Anthrax, Dio, Lamb of God, Slash, and tons of others depending on where you decide to draw the line between "metal" and "not metal".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ithaqua posted:

You forgot Iron Maiden. Plus Fear of the Dark is actually relatively easy to play outside of the solos.

Also: Slayer, Pantera, Anthrax, Dio, Lamb of God, Slash, and tons of others depending on where you decide to draw the line between "metal" and "not metal".

Yeah it gets hard. I'd actually say Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are on the "hard rock" side of things, same with Slash and Velvet Revolver, while I'd say Pantera is on the metal side of things and I shouldn't have left them out! And Def Slayer. Dio, again, not really metal but hey, fun stuff.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Mercedes posted:

I liked the other Red Fang song better :P

I agree. Number Thirteen may have that cool triplet feel going on, but Wires has that loving killer riff at the end.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dio, again, not really metal

You what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its splitting hairs either way. Really Rock - hard rock - metal - heavy metal forms like a continuum gradient and not so much a hard yes/no boolean. And then it forks out into all the sub-genres.

They have a song called "Rainbow in the Dark"! :cheeky: Not the most metal. Don't get me wrong I love Ronnie James Dio.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it gets hard. I'd actually say Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are on the "hard rock" side of things, same with Slash and Velvet Revolver, while I'd say Pantera is on the metal side of things and I shouldn't have left them out! And Def Slayer. Dio, again, not really metal but hey, fun stuff.

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are both part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Judas Priest has some material that's on the fence (listen to 'Living After Midnight' vs 'Painkiller') since they did a lot of stuff in the mid/late 70s, prior to the NWoBHM. Regardless, they are unquestionably metal. Whether they're the exact sub-sub-sub-subgenre of metal you like or not is a different story. Meanwhile, most people would classify Motorhead as metal (and they're included in the NWOBHM by most people) but Lemmy says they're a "rock band" does not identify them with metal.

Same goes for Linkin Park and Disturbed. They're both metal bands, just from a terrible sub-genre. Purists wouldn't include nu-metal or metalcore, though. And the guy who asked the question brought up a metalcore band as his inspiration, so all bets are off.

Basically metal fans are loving weird. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm still mad that I can't control how fast the notes move or how spread apart they are in Rocksmith like in Stepmania or DDR.

Rock and Folk songs work fine but fast hard rock or metal solos just flat out DO NOT work in Rocksmith unless you learn them from tabs first.

Was playing Velvet Revolver's Slither, fun song, mostly pretty straightforward. But even knowing some of the solo already and being very familiar with Slash's style, I was basically guessing how to play the solo from listening to it and the appropriate key more than I was sight-reading it. The notes are just waaaaaay too dense to make sense of, in order to actually see the proper order you'd have to slow it down in riff repeater to literally 10%, which at that point you'd have to wait 50 seconds before the stupid loving riff repeater actually managed to get to the part you want to play.

Why can't it just loop the one section over and over? Why does it always have to play an intro, even when its slowed down? loving stupid.

Ithaqua posted:

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are both part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Judas Priest has some material that's on the fence (listen to 'Living After Midnight' vs 'Painkiller') since they did a lot of stuff in the mid/late 70s, prior to the NWoBHM. Regardless, they are unquestionably metal. Whether they're the exact sub-sub-sub-subgenre of metal you like or not is a different story. Meanwhile, most people would classify Motorhead as metal (and they're included in the NWOBHM by most people) but Lemmy says they're a "rock band" does not identify them with metal.

Same goes for Linkin Park and Disturbed. They're both metal bands, just from a terrible sub-genre. Purists wouldn't include nu-metal or metalcore, though. And the guy who asked the question brought up a metalcore band as his inspiration, so all bets are off.

Basically metal fans are loving weird. :shrug:

Yeah that's all I was saying. I would classify Motorhead as metal but I'm not about to argue with the Kilmeister! :cheeky:

Part of the subjective differences I would guess would come from what a wide genre it is and how much its changed, you listen to Black Sabbath and its pretty hard but nothing shocking. But for its time it was really different and edgy. But now we've heard so much super hard modern metal the old stuff sounds different relatively.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chalupa Joe posted:

I agree. Number Thirteen may have that cool triplet feel going on, but Wires has that loving killer riff at the end.

Wires is a better song with better riffage, but Number Thirteen is like a rollercoaster that's secretly fairly easy to ride :ssh:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah, once you get a hang of the changes it's super easy.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!
I don't know how you'd classify Metallica covering King Diamond, but just play the Merciful Fate Melody CDLC.

All Rocksmith sessions should end with that or Buckethead's Soothsayer. Eb endurance runs 4 lyfe.

E: also acceptable is Sloe Gin and Be Careful with a Fool. Always back-to-back.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Does yours have a rattle when you shake it?

No, no rattle.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Bachsmith II – $5.99

* Ludwig van Beethoven “Ode to Joy” (Anthony Martinez)
* Frédéric Chopin “Funeral March” (Jarred McAdams)
* Jacques Offenbach “The Can-Can”(Jason Kocol)
* Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky “Notecracker Medley” (Brian Poedy)
* Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart “Symphony No. 40” (Greg Barr)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I can't believe they forgot to put Bach in the Bachsmith pack

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well poo poo, guess I'm waiting for Bachsmith III.

Is Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 too much to loving ask for?!

Also I'm buying this first thing when I get home.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Buy all the DLC except the nu metal and pop punk

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

rt4 posted:

Nu metal loving rules though?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

rt4 posted:

Buy all the DLC

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a season pass or something and I'd just buy it or perhaps a special one that only came with songs that have solos in them

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What time of day does DLC drop? I think normal steam release is in about 2 hours but I don't know if the same rules apply for DLC. I wanna bach.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Agent355 posted:

I wanna bach.

BACH!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

What time of day does DLC drop? I think normal steam release is in about 2 hours but I don't know if the same rules apply for DLC. I wanna bach.

It's usually the same for Rocksmith DLC

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm waiting for Bachsmith III.

Is Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 too much to loving ask for?!

Also I'm buying this first thing when I get home.

I would kill for a Liszt pack.

Also could we maybe get a Trans-Siberian Orchestra pack for Christmas? (And that could have "Wish Liszt" killing two birds with one stone :cheeky:)

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

rt4 posted:

All Time Low is a fun dlc pack

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd be excited to learn some classical but the arrangements on the first pack were so corny they were hard to listen to. I guess they feel like they have to really rock it up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bachsmith 2 owns. Bachsmith 1 owns. Buy bachsmith.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can I play Bachsmith with the Steam controller?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

rt4 posted:

Can I play Bachsmith with the Steam controller?

No, you need a guitar with an output and the rocksmith cable.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Snowy posted:

I'd be excited to learn some classical but the arrangements on the first pack were so corny they were hard to listen to. I guess they feel like they have to really rock it up.

Rondo alla Turca is the best song in Bachsmith 1 because it's not cheesy metal.

That said... I'd be happy if Marche Funèbre is basically done like Candlemass' version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LNTGsTIyY

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Bought and thoroughly pleased: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKe0MculyWI

There's also some more classical custom DLC popping up more often recently. Hopefully they keep doing these and add them into future versions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SlimBrady posted:

Bought and thoroughly pleased: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKe0MculyWI

There's also some more classical custom DLC popping up more often recently. Hopefully they keep doing these and add them into future versions.

Hm, not particularly crazy about that Mozart arrangement. Its all slow and loungey. That's not symphony no. 40! Haha.

The rest are pretty cool though, I'll probably pick this up. And its not like that's bad either, its just... way more surf rock than I was ready for.

Nutcracker though fits perfectly, sounds like a TSO song.

Hahaha and the can-can. That just makes me think of Lemmings :3:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Gonna have to try and master the nutcracker medley by christmas so I can annoy my family with it.

Ode to joy and the can can are fantastically fun to play as well. No stinkers in this pack IMO.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Man, taking a break for a bit then coming back is the loving worst. Even after 4 days, is about impossible to play the things I played easily before.

At least practice comes back quickly though.

How do you guys loosen up, or is it normal for everything beneath your elbows to feel like a thousand rubber bands are squeezing down on everything?

EDIT: I also hate session mode missions.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 18, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TwoQuestions posted:

Man, taking a break for a bit then coming back is the loving worst. Even after 4 days, is about impossible to play the things I played easily before.

At least practice comes back quickly though.

How do you guys loosen up, or is it normal for everything beneath your elbows to feel like a thousand rubber bands are squeezing down on everything?

EDIT: I also hate session mode missions.

Weird enough sometimes I take a few days off, come back, and my playing is way better. Like I had been practicing in my sleep or something. :cheeky:

I just loosen up by playing easy jams. Things do feel a little stiff sometimes but whatever, have a drink and play some more. Unless it starts hurting.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Weird enough sometimes I take a few days off, come back, and my playing is way better. Like I had been practicing in my sleep or something. :cheeky:

I just loosen up by playing easy jams. Things do feel a little stiff sometimes but whatever, have a drink and play some more. Unless it starts hurting.

I'm still a noob, so everything's hard for me now, but I'll try the whole 'step back and have a drink' thing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Once you play a bunch you'll find you actually do better after breaks. When you're still new the basic muscle memory of 'how to play' hasn't really built up yet, but for me the basic stuff like 'finger shape like this' is so ingrained it never really goes away. When I take a short break and come back parts that were troubling before often click a bit better.

Or my fingers go completely stupid and I couldn't play jingle bells. It's basically one or the other.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Trying some D'addario 10.5 strings, these are great. They are light enough to play bendy songs, but the high e string can scream now. The high e is usually pretty quiet with light strings so this owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Trying some D'addario 10.5 strings, these are great. They are light enough to play bendy songs, but the high e string can scream now. The high e is usually pretty quiet with light strings so this owns.

I'm pretty happy with my D'addario set too. Bought a 3 pack for 5 bucks off amazon :v:.