Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think we can do this using shortwave radio. It's pretty easy to broadcast to the rest of the world that way. We could call the department something like "Voice of America."

Not Christian enough, maybe something like "Voice of God".

On Kerry: if you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to terrorism, it's surprisingly easy to begin babbling like this. Kerry's response of feeling at a loss is also common enough in the aftermath of mass killings though, and he does recognize that the point of the attack was to cause terror.

I'm still being reminded all over again why GWB started saying stupid poo poo like "they hate us for our freedoms." It's just comically easy for terrorism to disable leaders' critical thinking skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Has Kerry been hanging out with Jeb!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

So Kerry just gave us 4 more years of Bush again? God drat it.

Well if you really are still worried about Jeb! in the whitehouse you can probably relax a bit, president Trump on the other hand...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Somewhere on the island of Capri, at the bottom of a bottle of Limoncello, lies a piece of paper that begins, "The Proof that Hillary Did It". Lynn Westmoreland will find that paper. :patriot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Maybe this will be like the time Kerry got Assad to give up chemical weapons and ISIS will come out tomorrow and say, "You know what, you're right. The Paris attacks were unjustified."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know, I wanted to get the obvious joke out of the way.

Yeah, we and this thread are so much better off. Thanks

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Somewhere on the island of Capri, at the bottom of a bottle of Limoncello, lies a piece of paper that begins, "The Proof that Hillary Did It". Lynn Westmoreland will find that paper. :patriot:

Backed at home by resolve, confidence, patience, determination, and continued support, we will prevail...over the [leftist] aggressor!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Good news everyone!

The Air Force has successfully completed testing of the B61-12 nuclear gravity bomb.

The test was conducted with a non nuclear payload (consistent with test treaty obligations) but the design has been found sound for a new generation of nuclear bombs. The design is not GPS guided but will use a standard Air Force provided tail-kit assembly to hit in the CEP with reasonable accuracy.

The Air Force and National Nuclear Safety Administration are proud to note that this successful joint program will preserve a critical element of the US Nuclear Triad and demonstrates continued support for extended deterrence and assurance commitments.

The new generation of the B61 will reuse it remands tire existing components to the maximum extent possible, preserving existing production infrastructure.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fried Chicken posted:

Good news everyone!

The Air Force has successfully completed testing of the B61-12 nuclear gravity bomb.

The test was conducted with a non nuclear payload (consistent with test treaty obligations) but the design has been found sound for a new generation of nuclear bombs. The design is not GPS guided but will use a standard Air Force provided tail-kit assembly to hit in the CEP with reasonable accuracy.

The Air Force and National Nuclear Safety Administration are proud to note that this successful joint program will preserve a critical element of the US Nuclear Triad and demonstrates continued support for extended deterrence and assurance commitments.

The new generation of the B61 will reuse it remands tire existing components to the maximum extent possible, preserving existing production infrastructure.

8 billion well spent, making sure a bomb with fins hits the ground with enough accuracy for a nuclear warhead to affect the target. :911:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah, when the Facebook trending stories thing said "Air Force successfully tests new nuclear gravity bomb" I was like ??? til I figured out non-nuclear payload

would be nice if they could be a little more precise with those (the trending stories, not the bombs)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Fried Chicken posted:

Good news everyone!

lol

What the gently caress even is the point of having a complete triad now? To keep bomber pilots hopeful of doing something more than cargo duty?

Seriously, what delivery capabilities of a nuclear payload does a B-52 provide that an ICBM or SRBM off a sub not already provide? Not even touching on the ludicrousness of being in a nuclear weapons race with loving no one but ourselves.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

lol

What the gently caress even is the point of having a complete triad now? To keep bomber pilots hopeful of doing something more than cargo duty?

Seriously, what delivery capabilities of a nuclear payload does a B-52 provide that an ICBM or SRBM off a sub not already provide? Not even touching on the ludicrousness of being in a nuclear weapons race with loving no one but ourselves.

It keeps people employed, and donations coming into politicians.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Lieber and Press have documented this nicely. Indeed, using a Pentagon computer model, they estimated that a U.S. counterforce strike against China’s ICBM silos using high-yield weapons detonated at ground blast would still kill anywhere between 3-4 million people. Using low-yield weapons and airbursts, this figure drops to as little as 700 fatalities!

This makes using nuclear weapons thinkable for the first time since the 1940s. The B61-12 only encourages this trend further.

We can get into a nuclear exchange with China and only kill 700 people!

- an idiot

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

This is the classic definition of a gaffe - the impolitic statement of what is true. After Charlie Hebdo there were plenty of folks saying they brought it on themselves. Here the randomness of the targets and that they focused on young and more integrated areas has people shaken and scared.

You can step back and see they hit those areas because they don't want the next generation to be more integrated, that they want them isolated, angry, and radicalizing, but that's very hard for the person who lives in Paris to emotionally process right now, just as comments about the reasons behind 9/11 and what AQ wanted to achieve were for New Yorkers.

Or I'm completely misreading his remarks. One of the two.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Thump! posted:

lol

It gets my dick all hard.

Don't judge me.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Reps. Joe Barton (R-TX) and Michael Doyle (D-PA) want the US government to have the power to shut down websites it finds objectionable (under the guise of anti-terrorism)

Finally, some bipartisanship on Capitol Hill!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thump! posted:

lol

Mr. President, it is not only possible, it is essential. That is the whole idea of this machine, you know. Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy... the FEAR to attack. And so, because of the automated and irrevocable decision-making process which rules out human meddling, the Doomsday machine is terrifying and simple to understand... and completely credible and convincing.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

This is the classic definition of a gaffe - the impolitic statement of what is true. After Charlie Hebdo there were plenty of folks saying they brought it on themselves. Here the randomness of the targets and that they focused on young and more integrated areas has people shaken and scared.

You can step back and see they hit those areas because they don't want the next generation to be more integrated, that they want them isolated, angry, and radicalizing, but that's very hard for the person who lives in Paris to emotionally process right now, just as comments about the reasons behind 9/11 and what AQ wanted to achieve were for New Yorkers.

Or I'm completely misreading his remarks. One of the two.

Yeah I completely agree. It's clear he has logic and reasoning on his side but the way he said it and the timing is just completely off on the Hebdo portion. Especially due to the heightened fear and what's going on in Germany right now.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thump! posted:

lol

Detectability, for one. Redundancy, for two.

Whether or not you like it, MAD is real

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boon posted:

Detectability, for one. Redundancy, for two.

Whether or not you like it, MAD is real

Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*! Why didn't you tell the world, EH?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No one is going to give a poo poo about the Kerry comment. Because anyone who gets riled up already hated Kerry and the fact he's saying Paris is worse makes it play poorly as some critical character assassination. No one (new) will call for his resignation, because honestly who cares what Obama's lame duck SoS says while the real drama with an Obama SoS is outside of Washington.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shutdown List
1. Something Awful dot com
2. Twitter, except @joebarton

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
And Jindal is out of the race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/17/jindal-suspends-presidential-campaign/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How many times is this?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

"Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Tuesday night he is suspending his presidential campaign, saying that he has concluded he could not be successful in a “crazy, unpredictable” year."

I feel that a crazy unpredictability of the only climate that Jindal could be successful in.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How many times is this?

Was Jindal the candidate that PredictIt used prematurely as the first drop out of the race in September? I can't find the information on Google.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

lol

There's gonna be a hot war with Russia or China any day now, just you wait.:tinfoil:

Really, the only thing bomber pilots are gonna be doing militarily is blowing up ISIL targets in the Middle East for the next few years, and that apparently isn't good enough as a dick-waving measure.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Maybe now he'll break off into that Party of True Conservatives For Real You Guys (TM) like he said he would.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OAquinas posted:

8 billion well spent, making sure a bomb with fins hits the ground with enough accuracy for a nuclear warhead to affect the target. :911:

To be fair, there's a real concern about hacking the GPS on our guided weapons, and making sure your nukes don't miss is money well spent.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So serious question about the refugees: I know that the opposition to relocating them in America (amongst other places) is just racist shitheels but would it be politically expedient to create better conditions in current refugee tent-cities, leaving them in a position to re-settle their homes after the conflict?

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

"lol", and/or "who?"

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

quote:

"If anything changed with our insurance to make it more expensive for us, that would be a big problem," Botner, a community college student, said Friday at the Owsley County Public Library, where she works. "Just with the blood tests, you're talking maybe $1,000 a year without insurance."

Yet two weeks earlier, despite his much-discussed plans to repeal Kynect and toughen eligibility requirements for Medicaid, she voted for Bevin.

"I'm just a die-hard Republican," she said.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article45093165.html

:allears:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

The trend seemed to hold across the state. At Transylvania University, political scientist Andrea Malji said she has crunched state data and found a "99 percent confidence level" between the counties' Medicaid enrollment levels and their gubernatorial choices. The larger the Medicaid numbers, the more likely they were to back Bevin, she said. The lower the Medicaid numbers, the more likely they were to favor the Democratic nominee, Attorney General Jack Conway.

Malji, who is from Pulaski County, where Bevin captured 72 percent of the vote, said she heard people back home denounce "Obamacare" while thousands rushed to sign up with Kynect. They didn't seem to realize that Kynect, Kentucky's response to the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, is the same thing as Obamacare, she said.

"There's either voter disconnect here, where the people weren't thinking about or weren't aware of Bevin's stance on health care, or these counties just have higher levels of social conservatives who thought it was more important to vote on social issues," Malji said.

It's okay, I'm sure Doctors Without Borders will pick up the slack

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I told you about repealing Kynect man, I warned you about medicaid requirements dawg.

KY voters: It keeps happening.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Kentucky is loving sad

quote:

Owsley County, one of the nation's poorest places, neatly fit the trend. Nearly 1,000 of its 4,508 residents got health insurance after Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear established Kynect two years ago and expanded Medicaid to include people up to 138 percent of the poverty level, which is $16,105 a year for an individual.

Newly insured people started to visit the Owsley County Medical Clinic on the outskirts of Booneville. They desperately needed medical care. Even by Kentucky's lax standards, Owsley has high rates of obesity, smoking and poor nutrition, and as a result, greater than normal incidences of cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Some patients wept with relief as longtime ailments finally were treated, clinic officials said.

"Our doctors were telling us they were seeing people who had never had health care before, so they were pretty sick," said Teresa Fleming, chief financial officer at nonprofit Mountain Comprehensive Health Corp., which runs the clinic in Owsley and others in Perry, Harlan and Letcher counties.

[...]

The 66 percent of Owsley County that gets health coverage through Medicaid now must reconcile itself with the 70 percent that voted for Republican Governor-elect Matt Bevin, who pledged to cut the state's Medicaid program and close the state-run Kynect health insurance exchange.

Lisa Botner, 36, belongs to both camps. A Kynector — a state agent representing Kynect in the field — recently helped Botner sign up for a Wellcare Medicaid card for herself and her 7-year-old son. Without that, Botner said, she couldn't afford the regular doctor's visits and blood tests needed to keep her hyperthyroidism in check.

"If anything changed with our insurance to make it more expensive for us, that would be a big problem," Botner, a community college student, said Friday at the Owsley County Public Library, where she works. "Just with the blood tests, you're talking maybe $1,000 a year without insurance."

[...]

Back in Owsley County, Botner, the Medicaid recipient who voted for Bevin, said she wouldn't object to a little skin in the game — just not too much.

"I have always said I am willing to pay a little bit to keep these benefits," Botner said. "In order to keep health insurance for me and my son, I'd pay $20 a month if that's what they asked me. I'd pay $5 each time I went to the doctor. Of course, if you start to get up to $50 or $60 a month, in that range, that would be more than we could afford."

3,156 people of 4,508 in this county voted for Bevin. 2,975 of them are on Medicaid. :sigh:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 18, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

It's okay, I'm sure Doctors Without Borders will pick up the slack

I don't understand why Republicans are so against Medicaid expansion, since enrollment clearly leads to Republican votes!

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

Have you ever heard of "Southies"?

only in legend. Like some sort of ancient people who's way of life is constantly threatened by globalization

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thump! posted:

lol

Nuclear missiles can't hover around a country to drop their payload in case their country suffered a surprise attack and knocked out their silos

So in case that ever happens and it's 1958 then we're golden

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I don't understand why Republicans are so against Medicaid expansion, since enrollment clearly leads to Republican votes!

Because then them blacks may get it, too. Can't have that, not in their America.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

It gets my dick all hard.

Don't judge me.

Do you drink grain alcohol and rainwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

a shameful boehner posted:

Kentucky is loving sad

3,156 people of 4,508 in this county voted for Bevin. 2,975 of them are on Medicaid. :sigh:

quote:

These changes brought enough revenue into the clinics to pay for "ambitious new services," such as dentistry and optometry

Ambitious new services: dentistry and optometry :stonklol:

• Locked thread