Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wastelanders are loving crazy. You can't make soup with pure water?!

I do like how, in addition to healing you with no rads, all cooked meat gives you additional minor buffs. Extra AP recharge or whatever. It's nice.

Of course, I now have Cannibal Rank 2 and can feast on the flesh of nearly any living foe, but hey. (Don't judge, it's REALLY handy for how I play, which is clumsily)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I remember someone asking what commands you can give to animals with the full Animal Friend perk.

Well you can order them around as you would a follower no trade or talk though. It is a slight improvement over incite in that you can direct the animal and maybe get it to grab stuff for you, also if you stay outside you can actually get the animal to keep coming along with you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Speedball posted:

Wastelanders are loving crazy. You can't make soup with pure water?!

It loses the flavor, ya see

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

victrix posted:

I can't use purified water in recipes that need dirty water to cook? :psyduck:

What the hell man.

If the water isn't full of rads you aren't getting the true Wasteland Experience™.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
someone give me advice on how to sculpt a face that doesn't look like a loving mutant and also doesn't clip with sunglasses

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

There's an event where you encounter two Deathclaws fighting.
there should be a random encounter where two legendary bears attack and if you get killed immediately the camera pans to them instead and do a high five pose as you die

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

kalensc posted:

Awesome info, thanks all. As expected the writing and quests appear to have dipped with the lack of Obsidian, but improved gunplay, fun crafting, and a strong reason to "plan ahead" with the perks should keep me plenty entertained.

The quest objectives are better for sure, the story attached is alittle meh. There are some cool sights but they last like 5 mins.

The gunplay is alittle weird, some things move way to fast and some bad guys never stand still and are always walking left and right. Bad guys also have unlimited grenades and throw them like football quarterbacks always at your feet.

Like a normal Bethesda game, the start is very good and then it tapers off. Which makes sense, what like 12% people playing on steam have never left the vault?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bethesda’s Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies and generated over $750 million in its first 24 hours at retail on Nov. 10. Those numbers obliterate the over $550 million in 72 hours that Activision-owned developer Treyarch earned with Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ImpAtom posted:

I was using Curie and for some reason she would only pick up swords. Nothing else, but it didn't matter how lovely the sword was she would B-line for that fucker.

My Curie's got a sledgehammer and I don't want to take it off her because she's a loving whirlwind of destruction with it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Fans posted:

My Curie's got a sledgehammer and I don't want to take it off her because she's a loving whirlwind of destruction with it.

You can give Curie a sledgehammer!?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know they've been working to streamline their games for a wider audience since at least oblivion and all, but it still constantly amazes me how popular the bethesda style rpgs are

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The Companion quests are fun and you should do them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Make sure to do her companion quest.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know they've been working to streamline their games for a wider audience since at least oblivion and all, but it still constantly amazes me how popular the bethesda style rpgs are

They are in-demand and have genuinely little competition. Even other big-name RPGs like Wticher 3 are pretty different in design.

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
Starlight shelter now fully operational:

The farm:

Putting stuff on tables and shelves takes a while but helps the atmosphere a lot, I feel.

Finally got the hang of the electricity mechanics.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's that time again for THE COOL MOD ROUNDUP!

So... yeah, here is some cool poo poo I've found on the nexus.

Craftable Melee Weapons
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1070/

Make Companions Easier to Summon
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1096/

Timescale
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/657/

More Decorations
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1145/

Craftable Verti-Nades
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1146/

Power Armor Green Hud
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1108/

Greener Wasteland
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/847/

Well, it'll probably slow down a bit, but if I see anything else super rad I'll let you guys know!

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
cool mod roundup: the uninstall wizard

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Overdoze posted:

Starlight shelter now fully operational:

The farm:

Putting stuff on tables and shelves takes a while but helps the atmosphere a lot, I feel.

Finally got the hang of the electricity mechanics.

drat, this is some good work. I need to actually do this.

I need someone to confirm: Settlers that are otherwise unassigned or working at Scavenging Stations slowly accumulate *all* crafting resources, right, if at a slow rate? I seem to have a lot more copper than I remember having before...

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Getting the Big Boy nuke launcher and putting the MIRV mod on it is pretty hilarious.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i;m just here thinkin bout thos beans

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

:eyepop:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

:drat:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Christ, didn't Skyrim just pass 20 million lifetime copies last month? And this sold 12m in 24 hours?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Couple more questions: First, what's the default 'grap' key for pc? I thought it was 'g' in the previous games but that doesn't work and I couldn't find it in the key bindings menu. Second, it's been mentioned that picking up an enemy's weapon from the ground instead of looting it from them gives you a full clip of the weapon's ammo. Does that mean you can just drop a gun and pick it back up to get free ammo too? It'd be an easy thing to check but I keep forgetting to do it when in game and don't have time to check it right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And ~10% of that was PC copies, with another 5% or so coming from digital console sales.

Makes you wonder how much of those disc sales would be replaced if they went all digital. (I guess we'll find out when the DLC comes out)

JoshTheStampede posted:

Christ, didn't Skyrim just pass 20 million lifetime copies last month? And this sold 12m in 24 hours?
Apparently it was 20 million as of January 2014. Also keep in mind that game sales are like movie revenue - the opening weekend is by far the largest chunk of the revenue/sales.

What is interesting to note is that Fallout 3 only sold ~4.5 million between October and December of 2008.

e: Bethesda said that Skyrim sold 7 million retail copies within the first week. Assuming the same proportion as here, no more than ~7.7 million copies total were sold in the first week.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 18, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bango skank posted:

Couple more questions: First, what's the default 'grap' key for pc? I thought it was 'g' in the previous games but that doesn't work and I couldn't find it in the key bindings menu. Second, it's been mentioned that picking up an enemy's weapon from the ground instead of looting it from them gives you a full clip of the weapon's ammo. Does that mean you can just drop a gun and pick it back up to get free ammo too? It'd be an easy thing to check but I keep forgetting to do it when in game and don't have time to check it right now.

The grab button has been changed to holding down E. You can let go of E once you are holding it, and then press E to drop. Yknow, E, the button that you use to add objects to your inventory. It is just one of the many stupid nonsensical mouse/keyboard rebindings.

Yes, vats, on Q. That makes sense.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm a little surprised you can't turn Vault 111 into a base. It's got a few radroaches, but hey, it's not like anybody's using the place, right?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Yes, vats, on Q. That makes sense.

qats makes sense to me

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I don't think Treyarch earned $550 million from that unless they have an insanely good contract.

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE
I seem to be getting corrupt saves. This is very troubling and it keeps happening but not every time. Is there anything I can do, short of just starting a new playthrough.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone else pick up Pickman's Blade? Stabbing ghouls has never been so much fun. Actually I've destroyed turrets with it too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Detergent posted:

I seem to be getting corrupt saves. This is very troubling and it keeps happening but not every time. Is there anything I can do, short of just starting a new playthrough.

How many save games are you making? I was doing a manual save like every 5 second, every zone, before talking to a quest giver, during conversations for turn ins. Along with hundreds of quick saves.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Just realized I've played for twenty hours, most of those outdoors, and I've yet to see a single radiation storm.

Are they rare, am I bugged, or do you need to trigger something for them to start?

Baron Bifford posted:

Have you visited the Glowing Sea yet? The storms didn't trigger until after I came back from there.

I can definitely say that I have never visited the Glowing Sea, but I did get radiation storms (At least, radioactive lightning) on my current playthrough. Two of 'em.

The first one was when I fast-travelled back to Sanctuary Hills. I saw there was quite a bit of fog but didn't associate 'flash of light = radiation' at first. I ran indoors and was trying to figure out why my rads kept spiking up. After I figured it out (Is there a safe place to wait those out?) I had encountered them once more when exploring Concord for goodies. I'm only about 8 hours in because Starcraft 2 lured me away.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I actually like a lot of the ambient music. This one is pretty spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmzmYb-mdZ4

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

khy posted:

I can definitely say that I have never visited the Glowing Sea, but I did get radiation storms (At least, radioactive lightning) on my current playthrough. Two of 'em.

The first one was when I fast-travelled back to Sanctuary Hills. I saw there was quite a bit of fog but didn't associate 'flash of light = radiation' at first. I ran indoors and was trying to figure out why my rads kept spiking up. After I figured it out (Is there a safe place to wait those out?) I had encountered them once more when exploring Concord for goodies. I'm only about 8 hours in because Starcraft 2 lured me away.

I think as long as you're indoors (meaning you've gone through a loading screen) you'll be safe from the rads.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CJacobs posted:

There's a .44 pistol in this game?? I have played 21 hours on my current character and have never, ever seen one.
You can find one on the south water's edge if you head east from Sanctuary Hills, when you stat seeing big rocky outcroppings going uphill then climb to the top, next to the body. Also jump on top of the pipe for some goodies.

If you keep heading east you can find some power armor by a crashed vertibird, north of that air force satellite base as well. Any piece that it loads with will be at 100%.

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE

Tenzarin posted:

How many save games are you making? I was doing a manual save like every 5 second, every zone, before talking to a quest giver, during conversations for turn ins. Along with hundreds of quick saves.

I wasn't doing it that severely, but still quite a bit. Would deleting some older saves help?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does your character saying "I need to assign someone to this" about a plant mean that it's not going to grow without assignment?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elderbean posted:

I actually like a lot of the ambient music. This one is pretty spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmzmYb-mdZ4

the ambient music is actually quite good and I usually have the radio off because of a combination of that and the feeling that I've heard most of the songs on the radio a thousand times before I'd ever even played this game

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Manatee Cannon posted:

yeah, energy weapon is an irrelevant term for this game beyond the crit boosting magazines
more like Science! weapons now amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MisterBibs posted:

Does your character saying "I need to assign someone to this" about a plant mean that it's not going to grow without assignment?

No, they say that about anything that doesn't have someone assigned to it. Not having someone assigned to plants just means that they won't be automatically picked/added to the workbench inventory.

• Locked thread