Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I thought Doha was in Kuwait? I spent some time there when i was deployed, theres nothing there.

Theres some massive football stadiums there now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gigi Galli posted:

that's Camp Doha, the city of Doha is in Qatar

Ah.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I still think football fans would be down for some public stonings/beheadings.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Would the level of commentary improve if the worst offenders could be stoned to death?

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I still think football fans would be down for some public stonings.

but people have watched maradona play and manage for years...?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

serious gaylord posted:

Would the level of commentary improve if the worst offenders could be stoned to death?

I think USA and FOX would be against that because then we'd have no more commentators.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I still think football fans would be down for some public stonings/beheadings.

Wouldn't be the first time scousers went to the islamic world and unleashed some mob justice with a heavy rock.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I think USA and FOX would be against that because then we'd have no more commentators.

They'd have to keep Joe Buck away for sure, he'd never make it out alive.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Fifa has dismissed Platini & Blatter's appeal against their suspension. :c00l:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am not saying anything new, or anything that hasn't been said before, but I reckon that the Qatar WC will be exactly like the most recent cricket WC that was held in teh West Indies.

Tickets will be insanely expensive, locals won't show up, but given that the governing body will make insane amounts of money, (ICC with TV rights and FIFA with bribes), it will be declared a success as the final ends up being a sad lifeless affair played out in a near empty desert stadium.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
The thing about cricket right, is that it sort of is like baseball,

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Insanely Sikh posted:

You're walking a very fine line, HT.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am not saying anything new, or anything that hasn't been said before, but I reckon that the Qatar WC will be exactly like the most recent cricket WC that was held in teh West Indies.

Tickets will be insanely expensive, locals won't show up, but given that the governing body will make insane amounts of money, (ICC with TV rights and FIFA with bribes), it will be declared a success as the final ends up being a sad lifeless affair played out in a near empty desert stadium.

The West Indies at least are a proper cricketing region where its possible to play cricket at the right time of year without dying

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Blue Star Error posted:

The West Indies at least are a proper cricketing region where its possible to play cricket at the right time of year without dying

Also with actual homegrown talent and genuine enthusiasm/support (though not at the price point they were charging).

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I read somewhere that the West Indies are a Nation of Cricketers

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Insanely Sikh posted:

Just like the NFL is sort of like the Premier League.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Actually that's a bad analogy because the NFL makes a ton more money than the Premier League and no one gives a poo poo about cricket.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Actually that's a bad analogy because the NFL makes a ton more money than the Premier League and no one gives a poo poo about cricket.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2015/feb/15/cricket-world-cup-india-v-pakistan-watched-by-a-billion-people-in-pictures

The pictures accompanying this story are cool and good, but 10 times the amount of people care about cricket compared to the superbowl so

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Antares posted:

I read somewhere that the West Indies are a Nation of Cricketers

I heard they don't like cricket

they love it

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Byolante posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2015/feb/15/cricket-world-cup-india-v-pakistan-watched-by-a-billion-people-in-pictures

The pictures accompanying this story are cool and good, but 10 times the amount of people care about cricket compared to the superbowl so

The US isn't a third world country, so when Americans care about something it's worth real money.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

blue footed boobie posted:

The US isn't a third world country, so when Americans care about something it's worth real money.

Except it is a third world country

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BrigadierSensible posted:

And also it'll still be hot as gently caress so all the players will be knackered and the football will be poo poo.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Tokyo Sexwale says national sides could have shirt sponsors

quote:

Sexwale said he would “seriously explore the possibility of the national jersey, as happens in other sporting codes, bearing the logo of the main sponsor – not only the jersey-maker as is currently the case. There is space there for much value worth millions of dollars which will be destined directly into [various] FAs’ coffers,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/18/fifa-tokyo-sexwale-national-sides-shirt-sponsors-world-cup

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Sure, why not.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Looking forward to seeing football teams come out looking like F1 drivers, plastered in logos from head to toe. Maybe we can get them all to wear sponsored baseball caps in the dugout and any time there's a trophy to lift, too.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Corrode posted:

Looking forward to seeing football teams come out looking like F1 drivers, plastered in logos from head to toe. Maybe we can get them all to wear sponsored baseball caps in the dugout and any time there's a trophy to lift, too.

so just like club football then?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All teams shall be required to wear this logo:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Didn't Ireland have a shirt sponsor for a while? The phone company 3?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gigi Galli posted:

That was only one player

Also it was only on his back

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Gigi Galli posted:

They still do but it only appears on replica shirts, training kit, etc; they can't wear it in actual competition.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
all of these prospective presidents are terrible, free sepp

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronniegardocki posted:

its a much better idea to let this keep happening on a loop until eventually they elect someone only partially corrupt

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

ronniegardocki posted:

I honestly find it quite amazing how every one of them ranges from "somewhat corrupt" to "insanely corrupt". There's literally no-one in a position of high authority in the governing body for the largest organised human recreational activity in the world that isn't a criminal.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Hoops posted:

I honestly find it quite amazing how every one of them ranges from "somewhat corrupt" to "insanely corrupt". There's literally no-one in a position of high authority in the governing body for the largest organised human recreational activity in the world that isn't a criminal.

Seems the fundamental problem is that to run for president you need the nominations of 5 national associations and I'm not sure if 5 non corrupt FAs even exist, and even if they do, a campaign of "I'm going to stop letting all you cunts steal all the money" is not going to be a vote winner.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
It's a bit how some commentators have started saying that keeping al-Assad in power perhaps is the least worst option. Maybe things weren't so bad after all with Sepp, considering the options. I'm sure that, working together and given a free reign, Blatter and al-Assad could end the middle eastern conflict once and for all.
I mean surely all the factions could sort out their differences on the football pitch rather than on the battlefield?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Give El-Assad the Fifa job

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Churchill posted:

It's a bit how some commentators have started saying that keeping al-Assad in power perhaps is the least worst option. Maybe things weren't so bad after all with Sepp, considering the options. I'm sure that, working together and given a free reign, Blatter and al-Assad could end the middle eastern conflict once and for all.
I mean surely all the factions could sort out their differences on the football pitch rather than on the battlefield?

Looking forward to the ISIS of football. Who will it be?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lamont Cranston posted:

They still do but it only appears on replica shirts, training kit, etc; they can't wear it in actual competition.

Friendlies too iirc

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Give El-Assad the Fifa job

And Syria to Sepp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Honj Steak posted:

Looking forward to the ISIS of football. Who will it be?

Thought we already established that it's Murdoch