Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

HootTheOwl posted:

So serious question about the refugees: I know that the opposition to relocating them in America (amongst other places) is just racist shitheels but would it be politically expedient to create better conditions in current refugee tent-cities, leaving them in a position to re-settle their homes after the conflict?
A big problem is lack of funds. Forget making life in the tent cities better, right now there's not enough money to make them even barely livable. There's a serious risk of people freezing to death this winter in the refugee camps.

Another problem is that for many of the people in the refugee camps there's basically nothing to return to. A shitton of the buildings in Syria's cities are destroyed at this point, or are damaged enough to be unstable and dangerous as hell.

Even in Kobani where most of the city's population has returned, people are still living in tents pitched in the rubble or in half-destroyed buildings while the slow reconstruction of the city happens. Just because the fighting stops doesn't mean life can just go back to what it was before.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Interesting article on how the Republicans' anti-refugee position is causing a backlash in its own evangelical base:

quote:

A push by Republican presidential candidates to ban Syrian refugees "does not reflect what we've been hearing from our constituencies, which are evangelical churches across the country," said Jenny Yang, vice president for advocacy at World Relief, an evangelical organization that helps resettle refugees. "Most of the people have been saying we want to continue to work with refugees, that what happened in Paris ... doesn’t reflect who refugees are."

[...]

For Republican presidential contenders such as former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who have been working hard at shoring up evangelical support in a crowded field, harsh words against refugees carries a risk of looking politically opportunistic instead of compassionate. Some advocates were particularly shocked when Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie, New Jersey's governor, said that the U.S. should bar Syrian orphaned toddlers if necessary.

"That was offensive. That was mean-spirited," said one advocate with a Christian group that resettles refugees. He added: "it’s disappointing because there have been Republican senators and presidents who have strongly supported this program over the years. There’s a proud tradition in the Republican Party of welcoming those who are fleeing persecution, and this takes the party in a negative direction. It’s easy to pick on vulnerable refugees who have no voice. But there are immigrant groups who have voting power that understand what is going on. They understand that it’s an anti-immigrant message."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Thump! posted:

lol

What the gently caress even is the point of having a complete triad now? To keep bomber pilots hopeful of doing something more than cargo duty?

Seriously, what delivery capabilities of a nuclear payload does a B-52 provide that an ICBM or SRBM off a sub not already provide? Not even touching on the ludicrousness of being in a nuclear weapons race with loving no one but ourselves.

Eh at least the B-52 can double as a heavy non-nuclear bomber.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you want to become even angrier at the world, here's the story about a Charleston restauranteur who "employed" black slaves whom he basically kept chained up in his house and beat regularly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Somewhere on the island of Capri, at the bottom of a bottle of Limoncello, lies a piece of paper that begins, "The Proof that Hillary Did It". Lynn Westmoreland will find that paper. :patriot:

I thought it was sitting in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch since noon today.

:corsair:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
missed this earlier, turkey's vast number of stray cats impacts the g20 :3: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tm_content=2043

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Good riddance to the apostate.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
As an example of why coming back and restarting life is so hard in a place like Syria: kids are going back to school in Kobani. You may be wondering how the town got the schools reconstructed.

They didn't. They're using whatever buildings are still standing. Some of those building are still damaged from the fighting but oh well, there's no alternative. There's no power and no electricity in the buildings, and running water is only available in certain parts of the city.

This is an example of a good outcome, because even though Kobani is hosed up, it's still generally peaceful. Most of the rest of Syria is not. Even if Syria would come to some sort of ceasefire, so much of it is destroyed with no facilities like electricity, gas, running water, or even usable roads that rebuilding will take billions of dollars of infrastructure investment (which isn't going to happen).

This is why so many people are leaving, they don't see a future for them or their children or grandchildren, all they see is death in the short term and struggle in the long term.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 18, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

That's next to Myrtle Beach though.

Myrtle Beach is awful in all sorts of ways.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TheQat posted:

missed this earlier, turkey's vast number of stray cats impacts the g20 :3: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tm_content=2043
omg is that cat thing with the cucumber at the bottom of the article real? Also did you know there is no "q" in cucumber?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mitt Romney posted:

Was Jindal the candidate that PredictIt used prematurely as the first drop out of the race in September? I can't find the information on Google.

Yes. They implemented a 'drop out period' where the candidate in question has to remain out of the race after that drama storm. It was hilarious.

Especially because no one even noticed that he'd dropped out the first time until 3 days later.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Boon posted:

Detectability, for one. Redundancy, for two.

Whether or not you like it, MAD is real

I get that MAD exists, I just don't see why we need to even waste money on having bomber-delivered nuclear weapons. No one has the capability to stop an ICBM strike if we decided to end the world in fire, so what is even the point?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Eh at least the B-52 can double as a heavy non-nuclear bomber.

I suppose, but even then, when's the last time we've needed to carpet bomb anybody? We haven't done that since Vietnam, have we?

I mean, I'm hoping we don't carpet bomb Raqqa or Palmyra, but I guess there is a slim chance we get a Republican president next year.

Edit: Sorry if this is getting too Cold War Techie/Off-topic, I just figured US Nuclear policy would fit though :shobon:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

This is a really interesting story.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fade5 posted:

As an example of why coming back and restarting life is so hard in a place like Syria: kids are going back to school in Kobani. You may be wondering how the town got the schools reconstructed.

They didn't. They're using whatever buildings are still standing. Some of those building are still damaged from the fighting but oh well, there's no alternative. There's no power and no electricity in the buildings, and running water is only available in certain parts of the city.

This is an example of a good outcome, because even though Kobani is hosed up, it's still generally peaceful. Most of the rest of Syria is not. Even if Syria would come to some sort of ceasefire, so much of it is destroyed with no facilities like electricity, gas, running water, or even usable roads that rebuilding will take billions of dollars of infrastructure investment (which isn't going to happen).

This is why so many people are leaving, they don't see a future for them or their children or grandchildren, all they see is death in the short term and struggle in the long term.

Maybe I don't understand the costs, but compared to the amount we're spending on backround checks and relocations is it really that much more to secure loans to rebuild? You said in the last post it was a lack of funds but surly an international effort could afford it compared to their current plans? It's cheaper to patch up a school than move it's occupants somewhere in the US/EU whatever?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HootTheOwl posted:

Maybe I don't understand the costs, but compared to the amount we're spending on backround checks and relocations is it really that much more to secure loans to rebuild? You said in the last post it was a lack of funds but surly an international effort could afford it compared to their current plans? It's cheaper to patch up a school than move it's occupants somewhere in the US/EU whatever?

You run into the same problem agencies have with securing funds to rebuild Gaza: why bother if it's going to be bombed again soon anyway? :smith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well thats kerry for you. always putting his feet in his mouth. unfortunatyly i have heard that kind of poo poo before on twitter, but for real, acting like charlie hebdo deserved it because some people on the left are too loving stupid to understand dark satire in a leftist magazine because no one can have hurt feeling ever.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well thats kerry for you. always putting his feet in his mouth. unfortunatyly i have heard that kind of poo poo before on twitter, but for real, acting like charlie hebdo deserved it because some people on the left are too loving stupid to understand dark satire in a leftist magazine because no one can have hurt feeling ever.

It's already been said in this thread but to play devil's advocate:

It seems like what Kerry was TRYING to say, was that with Charlie Hebdo you could at least see WHY the gunmen were angry. They had a reason founded on specific events. With attacks like Paris (or 9/11 or any other large scale attacks simply for terror's sake) the "reasons" are far more nebulous and intractable.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You run into the same problem agencies have with securing funds to rebuild Gaza: why bother if it's going to be bombed again soon anyway? :smith:
There's also the the good old :bahgawd:"why are we sending money to them turrist Muslims" and also the callous line "by helping [Gaza/Syria/Afghanistan] rebuild you're helping [Hamas/Assad/Al Nusra/the Taliban] rebuild and get stronger". The Kurds are sort of an exception because they're "the good guys" to the west, but even so Kobani hasn't received all that much outside help to rebuild.

Thump! posted:

I suppose, but even then, when's the last time we've needed to carpet bomb anybody? We haven't done that since Vietnam, have we?

I mean, I'm hoping we don't carpet bomb Raqqa or Palmyra, but I guess there is a slim chance we get a Republican president next year.

Edit: Sorry if this is getting too Cold War Techie/Off-topic, I just figured US Nuclear policy would fit though :shobon:
I can answer this one. The last time we've used the B-52 militarily was 2011 Libya:
http://www.wired.com/2011/07/two-bombers-24-hours-100-libyan-targets-destroyed-ready/
We probably didn't need to use the B-52 specifically, but it's not like the US is ever going to get in a war against an opponent who can actually shoot back.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 18, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's already been said in this thread but to play devil's advocate:

It seems like what Kerry was TRYING to say, was that with Charlie Hebdo you could at least see WHY the gunmen were angry. They had a reason founded on specific events. With attacks like Paris (or 9/11 or any other large scale attacks simply for terror's sake) the "reasons" are far more nebulous and intractable.

Actually ISIS' reasons are plainly stated and the attack in Paris obviously supports their objective. There is no justification for Kerry's remarks, and your interpretation is just as callous and ignorant.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Oregon Governor Kate Brown posted:

The words on the Statue of Liberty apply in Oregon just as they do in every other state. Clearly, Oregon will continue to accept refugees - they bring their hopes and dreams to America, and we will continue to welcome them and open the doors of opportunity.

For those of you keeping track

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

smg77 posted:

For those of you keeping track

It would be nice if Oregon put their money where their mouth is and tried to actually bring some people of color into their lily white hipster paradise.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

It would be nice if Oregon put their money where their mouth is and tried to actually bring some people of color into their lily white hipster paradise.

Good on Kate Brown, but this is painfully true.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fade5 posted:

There's also the the good old :bahgawd:"why are we sending money to them turrist Muslims" and also the callous line "by helping [Gaza/Syria/Afghanistan] rebuild you're helping [Hamas/Assad/Al Nusra/the Taliban] rebuild and get stronger". The Kurds are sort of an exception because they're "the good guys" to the west, but even so Kobani hasn't received all that much outside help to rebuild.

I can answer this one. The last time we've used the B-52 militarily was 2011 Libya:
http://www.wired.com/2011/07/two-bombers-24-hours-100-libyan-targets-destroyed-ready/
We probably didn't need to use the B-52 specifically, but it's not like the US is ever going to get in a war against an opponent who can actually shoot back.

Those are B-1s.
:goonsay:

But yeah, I get the idea behind it there, and it applies to B-52s as well. Thanks, that makes sense.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm glad that the two states I've called home, Pennsylvania and Virginia, have done the right thing :patriot:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

How are u posted:

Considering how fast housing prices and rent are skyrocketing in the Portland metro area it's not likely. :smith:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

Actually ISIS' reasons are plainly stated and the attack in Paris obviously supports their objective. There is no justification for Kerry's remarks, and your interpretation is just as callous and ignorant.

Yep, I totally agreed with Kerry's viewpoint.

Also, the source you gave gives as reason for the attacks on the west as "ending coexistence" to induce Muslims to leave the west and return to the Islamic State. Do you see how that's a bit different and more nebulous than "they published a cartoon of the prophet / they blasphemed?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

How are u posted:

They do, Portland actually resettles quite a few refugees, and I'd recommend anyone interested in helping them out look into IRCO or one of the other organizations. It's just that the U.S. as a whole only will resettle ~75,000 refugees this year, so Portland's share is a drop in the bucket compared to its growth due to internal migration.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

Good on Kate Brown, but this is painfully true.

Ya, Oregon should really bus in some minorities against their will.

I'm pro-accepting more refugees but outside of putting your city forward as a haven a state doesn't have much control over where the Federal government sends groups.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yep, I totally agreed with Kerry's viewpoint.

Also, the source you gave gives as reason for the attacks on the west as "ending coexistence" to induce Muslims to leave the west and return to the Islamic State. Do you see how that's a bit different and more nebulous than "they published a cartoon of the prophet / they blasphemed?"

The cause and effect chain has a few more links, but if anyone should understand this it's the Secretary of State.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Jealous Cow posted:

Agreed, if you can find a way to justify CH why not the Paris attacks? Both are completely indefensible.

Pook Good Mook posted:

No not really? Kerry just plain hosed up, there's no justification of murdering someone because you don't like free speech. Killing someone because they drew a loving picture should be just as incomprehensible to you as anything that just happened.

The real question is what on earth compelled him to even go that route in the first place. Just dumb dumb dumb.

tsa fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tsa posted:

Agreed, if you can find a way to justify CH why not the Paris attacks? Both are completely indefensible.

No not really? Kerry just plain hosed up, there's no justification of murdering someone because you don't like free speech. Killing someone because they drew a loving picture should be just as incomprehensible to you as anything that just happened.

The real question is what on earth compelled him to even go that route in the first place. Just dumb dumb dumb.

he probably just heard dumb asses on twitter/tumblr/blogsphere getting mad and "offended" at people saying Je suis Charlie and assumed those shitheads were mainstream thought. or he just hosed up in speaking.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tsa posted:

Sounds like victim blaming, honestly. Along the "she shouldn't have been wearing that" line of thinking.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

Sounds like victim blaming, honestly. Along the "she shouldn't have been wearing that" line of thinking.

Oh my God. He wasn't blaming Charlie Hebdo, he was simply saying how the reasons are more coherent and we can understand them, if not condone them.

Honestly, point me to the language where he's saying it was a good thing that happened or how they deserved it. If I'm at a bar and I say "Gee, that football team sucks" and a fan of that team punches me in the face you don't say I "deserved it" but you understand why it happened.

Again, I'm not saying it was the most politically astute thing to say, but he's not wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tsa posted:

You're stunted somehow if you can't distinguish against an attack against a proud symbol of free speech and an indiscriminate attack against random people across a city.

Kerry just made the messaging mistake of stating that in the form of a comparative sentence, which plays poorly among a certain stunted audience.

edit: also as much as you might try to doublethink it away. People justify attacks against free speech and murder all the loving time. People can justify it, we just find those justifications morally abhorrent. But to pretend that their doesn't exist a twisted logic weakens us against our adversaries.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God. He wasn't blaming Charlie Hebdo, he was simply saying how the reasons are more coherent and we can understand them, if not condone them.

Honestly, point me to the language where he's saying it was a good thing that happened or how they deserved it. If I'm at a bar and I say "Gee, that football team sucks" and a fan of that team punches me in the face you don't say I "deserved it" but you understand why it happened.

I understand the point you're trying to make, it was just a stupid thing for Kerry to say and is either a lack of understanding of ISIS or Kerry bring a bafoon.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

You're stunted somehow if you can't distinguish against an attack against a proud symbol of free speech and an indiscriminate attack against random people across a city.

Kerry just made the messaging mistake of stating that in the form of a comparative sentence, which plays poorly among a certain stunted audience.

The targeting was indiscriminate, the motivation is easily tied back to ISIS' objectives. Just as the CH attacks were clearly tied back to an objective to punish blasphemy in the eyes of the attackers.

Just because the victims were random doesn't mean the attack itself was.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Seriously, this whole "literally unthinkable" poo poo with ISIS is the commies all over again.

Jealous Cow posted:

The targeting was indiscriminate, the motivation is easily tied back to ISIS' objectives. Just as the CH attacks were clearly tied back to an objective to punish blasphemy in the eyes of the attackers.

Just because the victims were random doesn't mean the attack itself was.

But that's the point he was making. Because the victims were random not symbolic one can't trace a line of anger/hate/fear from the attacker to the victim. There can be no moment of "would I bomb the Völkischer Beobachter" reflection, that can make sense of a twisted world.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 18, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
People conflate understanding with empathy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr. Wookums posted:

omg is that cat thing with the cucumber at the bottom of the article real? Also did you know there is no "q" in cucumber?

I imagine that the cat freakout thing is the cat brain registering the appearance of a cucumber next to them as a snake. The cats don't register their owners placing the cucumbers near them because they're so used to the humans of the house moving around. Then they turn around and suddenly there's a long, cylindrical thing they don't recognize being near them, which they register as "OMFG! SNAKE!", and well the felines that were hard-coded to jump first and then figure out if there really was a threat later were more likely to pass on their genes than the ones that didn't freak out and then got bitten by a real snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

DaveWoo posted:

Interesting article on how the Republicans' anti-refugee position is causing a backlash in its own evangelical base:

I mentioned this conflict in the thread about the attacks, so it's good to see a link about it for real. Basically one of the biggest forces working in refugee advocacy and resettlement are religious organizations, usually either actual churches or associated NGOs, so when lovely governors start to come down on those people and the groups supporting them, what it actually means is that they're punching out at a bunch of churches and dedicated Christian advocates in their home turf, which isn't really a winner for them.

• Locked thread