Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

redbackground posted:

You cold simply buy a much cheaper trade of Born Again. Marvel has reprinted it a million times, and for good reason.

Wouldn't I be missing whatever else is in that omnibus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This may be old news, but I just saw it this morning. Marvel is collecting a Superior Foes of Spider-Man Omnibus. Yeah!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

obi_ant posted:

Rest is pretty easy to find - Daredevil: Love & War GN, Daredevil #227-233, Daredevil: Man Without Fear #1-5.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Well, yes, that's the nature of an omnibus :)

But Born Again is worth just grabbing on its own, and is easily the high point of what's collected in that Companion. Man Without Fear is also super-easy to grab as its own trade.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 2, 2015

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Shameless posted:

Pinched from the Masterworks Messageboard... a new listing has appeared for Starman Omnibus vol 3 PB on Amazon.com. showing a possible Jul 2016 release date

edit: Couple of other things to mention from the Amazon fish is a second Perez WW omnibus and Preacher getting the Absolute treatment.

Oh nice! I've been waiting to pick up the first Perez Omnibus (blind buy for me), but it's good to see DC might just continue this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pleased to see they're continuing Pérez WW - I got the first one (haven't read all of it yet by I've enjoyed it) and there was some speculation they'd only do the one because afaik it's the only continuous stretch Pérez drew as well as wrote, and that seems like the sort of thing DC would do (like when they turned the third New Teen Titans ok I into an inexplicable Pérez showcase instead of picking up where the second one left off).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Good on DC for keeping the Perez WW train going. There's a lot of good stuff from that section.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh nice! I've been waiting to pick up the first Perez Omnibus (blind buy for me), but it's good to see DC might just continue this.

PM me, I have a once read copy I will sell you for CHEAP.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I have the first four Morrison-centric JLA hardcovers and bought vol. 5, but they don't match up at all. Looking into it it seems like DC switched up the contents for the TPBs. Now I can't decide whether to dump the HCs for the TPBs or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think they made the hardcovers Morrison showcases, so they left out the various fill-ins written by Mark Millar and Mark Waid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think they made the hardcovers Morrison showcases, so they left out the various fill-ins written by Mark Millar and Mark Waid.

Pretty much that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Wanted to post what came into the mail today. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also, their idea of omnibus is getting smaller and smaller.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress I need those East of West and Manhattan Projects books.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't know AARON'S Punisher got collected so I ordered one myself. It's the only book I've ever read where Dillon's "art" isn't a detriment.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Is there anything in the Hawkeye Omni that will not be in the second hardcover? I managed to pick up the first hardcover for $15, so if there's no content missing I'll just grab the second.

I need to buy pretty much all of that. I did not know Revival was getting a deluxe hardcover, ordering now. I love that book so much.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've never read any Punisher. Punisher MAX a good Omni to start with?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Norns posted:

Most of the Punisher stuff that I've read have been pretty good. I do not think you'll miss anything as most of the books fill you in on the back story. If you can get over Steve Dillon's art you'll be fin. A lot of people don't like his art as it's a bit crude, but I started seeing his art with The Preacher, so I've learned to enjoy it. I started off in this particular reading order...

Punisher by Garth Ennis Omnibus. I do not know if this is collected in anything aside from the omnibus.

Punisher MAX. There are 5 hardcovers. I'm not too sure how many TPBs there are. Edit: Oh apparently they came out with the complete collections, here.

Fury: War Gone By.

Punisher by Rick Remender Omnibus. This one didn't impress me much, but still a decent read and in stock.

Punisher Max by Jason Aaron & Steve Dillon Omnibus. Very good run, fun and violent.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 10, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Absofruitly.

(assuming you mean the Ennis MAX run, here) The Aaron/Dillon MAX run is aces, too.

After all that, you may want to cleanse your palate with the classic tale of a Punisher who gets sliced to bits by Wolverine's bastard son and is then recreated as a literal Frank-enstein monster who goes on to become the hero to an oppressed Monster community. This would be Rick Remender's Franken-Castle arc, and you don't need to have read the rest of Remender's run to enjoy it. There are dragons.

I never really cared that much for Ennis' regular Punisher stuff--it's very goofy and yes, the bears killing that guy is pretty great, but overall, not my thang.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 10, 2015

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!
Aaron's MAX is a direct follow to Ennis's MAX really. The Knights Ennis is good too but it's separate from MAX.

There's also The First To Last MAX HC that has one shots from Ennis's run.

I really love Ennis Punisher.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RusteJuxx posted:

Is there anything in the Hawkeye Omni that will not be in the second hardcover? I managed to pick up the first hardcover for $15, so if there's no content missing I'll just grab the second.

Nope. I don't have them side by side but I think all the special features are reprinted from the first HC so don't be shocked if the vl.2 HC has nothing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Did the Superman Golden Age Omnibus 1 already go out of print? I notice they're continuing the series in 2016 with a Volume 2. Any idea if they're going to do a reprint?

And is it any different than the Archives hardcovers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Did the Superman Golden Age Omnibus 1 already go out of print? I notice they're continuing the series in 2016 with a Volume 2. Any idea if they're going to do a reprint?

And is it any different than the Archives hardcovers?

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a reprint. Diamond says it's "Backorded, Stocked" but that usually means it will never bee seen again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a reprint. Diamond says it's "Backorded, Stocked" but that usually means it will never bee seen again.

Well crap. Thanks, Rhyno. Guess that goes on my list of stuff to pick up in the wild when/if I see it.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This thread is almost always dead, so I'm going to post my latest orders and encourage you to do the same so we can talk about our cool books:

11/17

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/IDW/RAGNAROK-HC-VOL-01-LAST-GOD-STANDING/AUG150450

Have heard good things about this run. I know nothing about Thor.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Drawn-Quarterly/SHIGERU-MIZUKI-HITLER-TP-(MR)/SEP151293

Seems interesting: Japanese master's take on the history of Hitler told visually.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BATMAN-THE-GOLDEN-AGE-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01/JUL150308

As a comics noob, I'm really interested in the history of comic books generally and Batman and DC in particular. This looks like an amazing collection.

10/20

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/MULTIVERSITY-DLX-ED-HC/JUN150291

This is awesome and indispensable and having it in on volume is great.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/HAWKEYE-BY-MATT-FRACTION-AND-DAVID-AJA-OMNIBUS-HC/NOV140863

Everyone bought this, right? Why wouldn't you?

10/14

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/MARVEL-LEGACY-OF-JACK-KIRBY-SLIPCASE-HC/APR150904

Comics as art; comics history as history.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Fantagraphics/USAGI-YOJIMBO-SPECIAL-EDITION-SC-BOX-SET-(C-0-1-2)/JUL151374

Fantagraphics makes beautiful stuff and this is a ton of excellent early material.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BATMAN-YEAR-100-DLX-ED-HC/JUN150299

Bought this on faith alone. Haven't cracked it yet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was not aware Year 100 got a big new release. It's a great read; good blind pick.

Unrelated, but I recently noticed that the newest version of the Final Crisis softcover trade includes the new opening pages found in the Absolute, and includes the Batman issues as well (the earlier softcover didn't even have those). I've since replaced my original HC with this one.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 18, 2015

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

beergod posted:

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/IDW/RAGNAROK-HC-VOL-01-LAST-GOD-STANDING/AUG150450

Have heard good things about this run. I know nothing about Thor.

I love this series. It's clear that Simonson is having a blast creating it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

beergod posted:

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Drawn-Quarterly/SHIGERU-MIZUKI-HITLER-TP-(MR)/SEP151293

Seems interesting: Japanese master's take on the history of Hitler told visually.

Read this yesterday and it was good. If you've liked Showa or Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths, you'll like this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

beergod posted:

This thread is almost always dead, so I'm going to post my latest orders and encourage you to do the same so we can talk about our cool books:

I will follow suit!

Two Brothers by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. I know nothing about this, but I loved Daytripper enough that I was willing to blind buy it.

Fatale Deluxe Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Brubaker/Phillips noir has yet to steer me wrong. I want more Criminal and Incognito though, so I hope they actually go back to those someday.

Sandman Overture by Neil Gaiman and JH Williams III. It's Sandman, so I'm pretty much obligated to get this, even if Gaiman's last few writing endeavors have left me somewhat cold. Short form is where he really shines, though, so here's hoping it's good.

Looking to get Multiversity and probably more Courtney Crumrin books in my next order. I realize I'm not at all the target audience for Courtney Crumrin, but they feel like good comfort reads, despite the very uh, dark turn that Book 2 ended on. Maybe because of the dark turn?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I haven't read Sandman proper. I assume that I should read that first before the Overture?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a prequel, but definitely assumes you're familiar with it, so yeah.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Thinking of selling my three Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck HC's and I'm seeing that they are going for a lot on the market. What's the best place to unload books these days?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheManWithNoName posted:

Thinking of selling my three Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck HC's and I'm seeing that they are going for a lot on the market. What's the best place to unload books these days?

I would take them

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The HC edition of the Private Eye dropped this week and even if you have it in digital I encourage all of you to run out and grab a copy as it's just beautiful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
25% off any book at Amazon, up to $10 total. So, if you have a $40 book in your wishlist, you can get it for $30.
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=HBN15_B...&pf_rd_i=283155

Think I'm going to get Multiversity for a friend. It's already 45% off, so it'll be $20 for a $50 MSRP book in the end. :woop:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

25% off any book at Amazon, up to $10 total. So, if you have a $40 book in your wishlist, you can get it for $30.
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=HBN15_B...&pf_rd_i=283155

Think I'm going to get Multiversity for a friend. It's already 45% off, so it'll be $20 for a $50 MSRP book in the end. :woop:

Young Avengers omnibus OR Private Eye?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, that's a tough choice.

Apparently, you can only use the code once, even if you don't hit $10 on the first usage. :( Was planning on saving another $3 on a random comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Private Eye is absolutely worth the full price so I say that one.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Quick question... Does anyone know if the most recent edition of the Suicide Squad vol 1 trade is on shiny or matte paper? I've got the one from a few years ago and it's matte but vol 2 is shiny. Little thing but it's doing my head in.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shameless posted:

Quick question... Does anyone know if the most recent edition of the Suicide Squad vol 1 trade is on shiny or matte paper? I've got the one from a few years ago and it's matte but vol 2 is shiny. Little thing but it's doing my head in.

If you are talking about the Ostrander stuff it is shiny paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Yes, It is the Ostrander stuff, thanks. Bloody hell DC... Gonna be strong and not double dip on it