Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I think... sweetfx was affecting my FPS? Got rid of it and I'm sure it's slightly better. Odd. Might turn off AA completely as well since it's pretty drat playable in the cities without the two. Shame the game looks so washed out without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MonikaTSarn posted:

They institute is all about slavery. The synths are their slaves, and they have to keep chasing runaways and kill them, to instill fear in the rest. If they do not, the other synths will revolt or run away as well. There is a scene when you arrive at the institute early on where somebody berates a synth for cleaning the floor wrong, that made it clear for me directly what role the synths play. The ending where you side with the railroad and start a slave revolt shows their fears were correct.
The Railroad = Underground Railroad should make the analogy obvious.

If Nick Valentine is indicative, then every synth mind is a copy of a human being's mind. So that means human emotions and desires. That makes it trickier to call them mere objects.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

A lot of them don't (some people on reddit were suggesting the use of ini lines that only apply to Bink video poo poo from 3/NV), but stuff like turning off God rays (which for a lot of people isn't actually off despite their setting it off in the launcher), uncapping framerate (which admittedly both puts yoh at risk of going too high and loving up the game) are at least something. I get why people are inclined not to trust Bethesda with this stuff, given their track record of having incredibly simple things be broken at launch.

e: Also my monitor is 144hz and having a game run at 30 fps on it hurts my eyes for some reason.

144 is not evenly divisible by 30 so you're not actually getting a consistent framerate, since the update intervals is not the same for each frame. Some frames update more quickly, others take longer to update, even though you're still having 30 updates every second. It's the same reason a stable 40 feels pretty bad sometimes; it's like dropping every third frame, making for a seemingly stuttering (almost imperceptible, but it'll 'feel' off) video updates. Set a framerate cap in something like Radeonpro or Rivatuner to 36.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 18, 2015

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Replicating the look and feel of Fallout 3: I in the glowing sea was a brave design decision but I feel they pulled it off well. Entirely devoid of anything interesting

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

This is my first Fallout game and jesus h christ the UI is god awful. Is there a way to see which workers are assigned to what? I assume not, so is there a mod for this? I don't know who is doing what!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

This is my first Fallout game and jesus h christ the UI is god awful. Is there a way to see which workers are assigned to what? I assume not, so is there a mod for this? I don't know who is doing what!

I use a notebook.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

strong bird posted:

Replicating the look and feel of Fallout 3: I in the glowing sea was a brave design decision but I feel they pulled it off well. Entirely devoid of anything interesting

I wish there was more cool stuff in the Glowing Sea because the aesthetic is cool. It's like an alien planet over there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nope. There'll probably be a mod that adds a settler management interface before too long, since it's a highly requested feature, but none that I know of yet.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There's another thing bothering me about the Kellogg quest. He was loving living in Diamond City at a specific time and no one, not even Nick, bothers to tell you "Oh by the way this was like 50 years ago, your kid is grown up or dead now"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ymgve posted:

There's another thing bothering me about the Kellogg quest. He was loving living in Diamond City at a specific time and no one, not even Nick, bothers to tell you "Oh by the way this was like 50 years ago, your kid is grown up or dead now"

No, he was living there with... someone else. You'll get it when you reach the Institute. This was very recently.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Iron Rose posted:

Hey, so uh, anyone else think it was kinda odd you couldn't craft weapons like you could in Skyrim?

Well I just modded it so that now you can. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1224

incidentally, adding new content, new recipes? Bitch and a loving half.

also if you download and endorse my mods I'd be super grateful since it means more nerds give me money and that's always a nice feeling.

Just started catching up with the thread for the day and uh holy poo poo you're a star, this is A+ you are doing the Lord's work with this game already.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ymgve posted:

This will make sense eventually. For a given definition of "sense."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the 9mm pistol in the game somewhere? I thought I saw it on a loading screen but I've never come across one.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Remora posted:

I use a notebook.

cool i would love to jot down some notes in my handy video game notebook

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

I think... sweetfx was affecting my FPS? Got rid of it and I'm sure it's slightly better. Odd. Might turn off AA completely as well since it's pretty drat playable in the cities without the two. Shame the game looks so washed out without it.

The ingame shader AA is harmless, but otherwise it's hard to say.
I've read about miracles performed by trying any combination of vsync and frame limiters both ingame and driver/tools, and switching to borderless windowed.
Even Nvidia gave up and took their guide down until this clusterfuck had been patched a few times.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Was Kellogg supposed to be hard? Nick talked up how dangerous he was but once he was like "OK, let's fight now" he just stood there and I battered him with a super sledge until he died.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Was Kellogg supposed to be hard? Nick talked up how dangerous he was but once he was like "OK, let's fight now" he just stood there and I battered him with a super sledge until he died.

He used a Stealthboy when I got to him. Didn't make it that hard though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
post endgame question:

If I don't side with the brotherhood, I assume they get destroyed or whatever, but does that mean there won't be any more random vertibird patrols after the main story is done? I love them and want them forever.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cirosan posted:

Collaborating with Russian modder shadwar, I've released a mod that makes the game display the full lines of what your character is going to say in conversation, instead of just a paraphrase.

Very nice! What has to be done to make this work with another (non-English, non-Russian) language?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Aiming at settlers in building mode highlights their assigned stuff if they have any.. why not just a tooltip saying what they're assigned to, bethesda >_<

It's like everything has the base systems setup but somehow they missed the whole UI-part.
The workshop was the first thing on the chopping block if for some reason they had to cut things from the game.

Considering how much they liked it during development I imagine we'll see quite a few improvements in the future.

I'm basing this off of The Making of Fallout 4, btw.

cool i would love to jot down some notes in my handy video game notebook
I would suggest using Google Keep or some similar site with the Steam overlay.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Inverness posted:

The workshop was the first thing on the chopping block if for some reason they had to cut things from the game.

Considering how much they liked it during development I imagine we'll see quite a few improvements in the future.

I'm basing this off of The Making of Fallout 4, btw.

Any other interesting tidbits from the documentary? Some of the design decisions in this game...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

eSporks posted:

I think there is some hidden modifier to damage or my game is hosed or something. I'm still running into ammo issues, and standard mobs are taking about 20 rounds of .556 to die. I've got rifleman and bloody mess maxed for my level.
I was watching my roommate play and he was killing gunners with 1 headshot from a sniper rifle. It takes me about 5.

I really don't know wtf is going on, but it is kinda ruining my enjoyment of the game.

EDIT: He just one shot a legendary with melee, and he doesn't even have big leagues. Is the console version easier or something?

Use a .50 cal sniper rifle.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The thing I've seen people do is use bandanas to show what each person is assigned to, since it's an armor slot that usually goes unused.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Generic Monk posted:

I turned off both AA and AF via launcher and rely solely on SweetFX to tweak/enhance. Tried using an ENB there for a bit, but I noticed micro stutters and zapped it without really delving into it.

YM, of course, MV

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

well generally I blitz them all into the dirt with a bat and then loot the corpses before any of them really get to do anything but I get sick of getting like one molotov off of a group of raiders i wanna make the world burn and the flamer is an awful loving weapon

I haven't tried it out, but you can convert plasma weapons into flamers. Flame pistol baby.

E: whoop Necro post. Teach me to not refresh.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nasgate posted:

I haven't tried it out, but you can convert plasma weapons into flamers. Flame pistol baby.

Warhammer 40k mods when?!??

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the 9mm pistol in the game somewhere? I thought I saw it on a loading screen but I've never come across one.

It's a quest reward. I saw that too and looked it up myself, but just enough to know that it's in the game, so I don't have any more info than that.

Had a really fun bug last night. I fast-traveled somewhere and directly beside me was a group of BoS dudes slugging it out with a pack of Gunners. Their Vertibird landed, someone hopped into the gunner position, a couple soldiers got out, and then it took off again.. only the gunner and the pilot and passenger didn't take off- their chairs included. They just quietly slipped out of the bottom as the vertibird flew away. Just a pilot and copilot seat sitting on the road, gunner standing behind, still shooting. It was hilarious.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

doctor iono posted:

Any other interesting tidbits from the documentary? Some of the design decisions in this game...
I don't remember much else off of the top of my head. Here is the article: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/11/06/the-making-of-fallout-4.aspx

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I've done this and it's alot of fun. Guzzles ammo like no tomorrow and you need to be right up in the target's face but it's a great way to quickly kill melee enemies like ghouls and mirelurks. :flame:

Too bad the regular flamethrower kinda sucks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is there a way to tell which quests repeat infinitely? Like for the railroad are both Tom's and PAM's quests infinite?

Or just anything with a colon in it's name I suspect.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Err, are all the raiders in The Combat Zone supposed to go aggressive after a bit? I killed them and now Cait won't talk to me and not that ghoul either. If not this is the third instance of someone bugging out and being agro on me and i have no idea how to fix that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Serf posted:

Yeah, this. Fallout is a parody of the 1950s American future, and stuff like the Pip-Boy, Nuka Cola and general aesthetic are rooted in mid-20th century Americana. The Vaults themselves and the idea of surviving and rebuilding after nuclear war are very much tied to American attitudes.

Personally I'd really love to see a 1950s Soviet Fallout. :ussr:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

frajaq posted:

The 40k mod is going to be about a stranded SM or SoB trying to get back to the Imperium and confusing raiders for cultists, super mutants for orks, Handy's for weird servitors and the brotherhood for some unknown chapter of stunted SM.

Serf
May 5, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Personally I'd really love to see a 1950s Soviet Fallout. :ussr:

I don't know enough about the equivalent Soviet pop culture to know what that would look like. I am curious though. Compared to the British, America had a positively cheery outlook on nuclear war. I'd like to know what other nations thought would happen.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Saint Freak posted:

Is there a way to tell which quests repeat infinitely? Like for the railroad are both Tom's and PAM's quests infinite?

Or just anything with a colon in it's name I suspect.

If the quest giver dialog is mysteriously absent of details, like "I'll mark the location on your map" instead of a spoken location name, it's probably repeatable.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

Err, are all the raiders in The Combat Zone supposed to go aggressive after a bit? I killed them and now Cait won't talk to me and not that ghoul either. If not this is the third instance of someone bugging out and being agro on me and i have no idea how to fix that.

Yeah, you are supposed to kill them all then talk to the Ghoul.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

frajaq posted:

Fallout is basically a prequel to Warhammer 40K. :v:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So after putting some time into this I have come to the conclusion this is by far the worst fallout game.

Thats not to say its a bad game. Its just a really lovely fallout.

They slap you in power armor and have you kill a death claw within the first hour of the game.

No Karma system, you can't be the bad guy.

No low int conversation options.

Alot of the small touches that make fallout fallout are missing from this game and that makes me sad.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

gromdul posted:

code:
player.modav carryweight 10000
I hate inventory management. Just carry all the things.
Someone posted earlier in the thread that they started having FPS issues when they got too many things in the inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Was anybody else disappointed with the Cryolator? I only got Master unlocking to get that, then I used it exactly one time on a Legendary Triggerman who shattered and all that was left was unlootable ice chunks. It took like 100 rounds to kill him which was half of the starting ammo and ammo's really hard to come by and expensive.

• Locked thread