Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hi, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Are there rules for playing Warhounds? I had an idea for a army that's Warhounds that when Angron was discovered said "gently caress that", refused the Butcher's Nails, refused to change their name to World Eaters, and were basically assuming the other World Eaters were gonna track them down and kill them all for it before they heard about the Heresy

Does anybody make Warhounds decals or shoulderpads?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Play a generic legion list then, you get to pick either stubborn, or furious charge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Or look through the existing legions and find some rules that fit the feel for that army.

Nobody makes decals or shouldrpads, but that shouldn't stop you. It's pretty darn easy to make your own decals.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

Or look through the existing legions and find some rules that fit the feel for that army.

Nobody makes decals or shouldrpads, but that shouldn't stop you. It's pretty darn easy to make your own decals.

Actually, I know that FW makes (or at least made) a World Eaters transfer sheet that included a lot of War Hounds imagery.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
World Eaters are amazing and cool

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If only I could paint white without having an anxiety attack

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Betrayal at Calth is finally in-hand, only 4 days late.

Oh god, now I have to chooooooooose!

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Any suggestions about what to do with Maloghurst? Thinking of starting a Sons of Horus army using Mal so I can have jump Reavers as the compulsory troops instead of boring tac blobs, but I can't figure out where to put him. His fearless bubble and banestrike bolter makes him want to be near the front line, WS5 and power sword would be good in close combat if it weren't for being unable to run or sweep.

I'm thinking maybe putting him in a Destroyer or Breacher squad as they're both good at close-range shooting and countering charges but I've not played any 30k so I'm just guessing a bit. A Cataphractii terminator squad also seems a good choice, as they're equally limited in mobility.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Recoome posted:

If only I could paint white without having an anxiety attack

World Eaters are super easy to paint, since you get to batter them all up. I'm halfway through this painting tutorial on some 40k stuff and already I want to paint more, it's actually kind of fun.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BirdieBedtime posted:

World Eaters are super easy to paint, since you get to batter them all up. I'm halfway through this painting tutorial on some 40k stuff and already I want to paint more, it's actually kind of fun.

That actually looks p neat

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JackMack posted:

Dude I have dug out 14 chain axes if you want them. They have a mixture of left and right hands attached and I can send you some handless arms with them but they should not be too hard to attach to any plastic arms. PM me your address.

I also have a ton of SoH pads which anyone can have if they give me a shout.

Ok!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Loyalist Luna Wolves

Garviel Loken: Rite of War (The Black Reaving) 175
Master of Signal: artificer armour 105

14 Reavers: jump packs; + 1 Reaver Chieftain (melta bombs) 340
9 Reavers: power weapon; power fist; + 1 Reaver Chieftain (melta bombs) 240
19 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 290

2 Rapier Carriers: 2× laser destroyer array 110

3 Jetbike Sky Hunters: volkite culverin; melta bombs 160
9 Seekers: 9× bolter (banestrike ammunition); + 1 Strike Leader (melta bombs) 255

Sicaran Battle Tank 135
Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer 190

Loyalist Death Guard allies:

Crysos Morturg 175

19 Tactical Space Marines: + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
6 Tactical Support Marines: volkite calivers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 165

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons 180

4 Grave Warden Terminators: 2× heavy flamer with chem-munitions; 2× chainfist; + 1 Chem-Master 230

3.000 points

This is my 2k point army without the DG, cranking it up to 3k with them. The idea is to have Loken outflank with the small reaver squad, and have the jetbikes deepstrike. Seekers could come in from reserves, but probably not. Master of Signal goes with the main tactical blob.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

"The primarchs kept asking for bigger transports, so eventually we gave up on making new templates and just tapped together some rhinos and landraiders."

Looks cool.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Having looked at Dreadclaw Drop Pods, I need to check that I understand how they work. You Deep Strike in with them from Reserves, but they stay closed up and start flying around the board in hover mode until the models inside disembark, who can then go on to charge that turn since it's an Assault Vehicle? Is this correct? If so, what's the downside to them for armies that can take them, besides the cost?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DeadGame posted:

If you're having trouble picking a legion this blog seems to have good descriptions of the various special units and legion rules:

http://warpstoneflux.blogspot.com/search/label/world%20eaters

Just click a legion filter name at the bottom to get all the posts.

Clicked the Blood Angels filter and read an article about Legion Nurgle Blood Angels...

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Having looked at Dreadclaw Drop Pods, I need to check that I understand how they work. You Deep Strike in with them from Reserves, but they stay closed up and start flying around the board in hover mode until the models inside disembark, who can then go on to charge that turn since it's an Assault Vehicle? Is this correct? If so, what's the downside to them for armies that can take them, besides the cost?

Downsides to Dreadclaws are the cost and the fact that they lack the Inertial Guidance special rule that drop pods and the Kharybdis Assault Claw has.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Stanyer89 posted:

Clicked the Blood Angels filter and read an article about Legion Nurgle Blood Angels...

Yeah that's some alternate lore stuff. There's no posts about 30k blood angels since they aren't out yet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Losing Inertial Guidance is still worth it to me, I think. Sure it's 85 points but being able to move it before and after disembarking is pretty sweet since it can take objectives if it's a DT for a Troops choice and is a general pain in the rear end for the enemy anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So with a World Eaters list, what sort of transport do I want for them, are Land Raiders and Spartans the only Assault vehicles?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

This needs a giant stream of puke so it becomes the next vomit marine.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Your other options are storm eagles, assault rams, and assault claws. The 3 armies are well balanced this way- space marines have the best troops, but some of the most extreme transport options (rhinos suck, but you have like 4 AV13/AV14 choices). Imperial Army have amazing transports with demolisher cannons, but no assault vehicles. Admech have low cost durable transports, but also no assault options or real weapons on them.

PantsOptional posted:

It's like this: drop down, flat out, jink if needed, next turn 6" move, 6" disembark, and then your charge. Can't assault the turn it does down unfortunately. The drawback besides cost is that your earliest assault is on turn 2 and you stand a good chance of loosing it to something like a dodo dread. You really want 2nd turn to drop one of these down.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Loyalist Luna Wolves

Garviel Loken: Rite of War (The Black Reaving) 175
Master of Signal: artificer armour 105

14 Reavers: jump packs; + 1 Reaver Chieftain (melta bombs) 340
9 Reavers: power weapon; power fist; + 1 Reaver Chieftain (melta bombs) 240
19 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 290

2 Rapier Carriers: 2× laser destroyer array 110

3 Jetbike Sky Hunters: volkite culverin; melta bombs 160
9 Seekers: 9× bolter (banestrike ammunition); + 1 Strike Leader (melta bombs) 255

Sicaran Battle Tank 135
Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer 190

Loyalist Death Guard allies:

Crysos Morturg 175

19 Tactical Space Marines: + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
6 Tactical Support Marines: volkite calivers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 165

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons 180

4 Grave Warden Terminators: 2× heavy flamer with chem-munitions; 2× chainfist; + 1 Chem-Master 230

3.000 points

This is my 2k point army without the DG, cranking it up to 3k with them. The idea is to have Loken outflank with the small reaver squad, and have the jetbikes deepstrike. Seekers could come in from reserves, but probably not. Master of Signal goes with the main tactical blob.

This is fine for a friendly list, but at 3000 points you don't have a way to counter deathstars, your army is mostly foot slogging, and you don't have much mobility. I'd consder dropping some of your troops, like the blob, and using those points to plug some of your gaps.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

This needs a giant stream of puke so it becomes the next vomit marine.

Hey, it's a WIP. It still has plenty of time to be worse.

Seirgon
Oct 23, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

It's like this: drop down, flat out, jink if needed, next turn 6" move, 6" disembark, and then your charge. Can't assault the turn it does down unfortunately. The drawback besides cost is that your earliest assault is on turn 2 and you stand a good chance of loosing it to something like a dodo dread. You really want 2nd turn to drop one of these down

Have they updated the rules for it from book 1? It doesn't have the drop pod assault rule so can't come in turn 1 and has to roll to come in turn 2+

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The latest rules gave it drop pod assault along with some heat blast stuff.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Where would I find those latest rules? There's a 100 point version of a dreadclaw in book 3 but I didn't know if that overwrote the version from book 1.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Losing Inertial Guidance is still worth it to me, I think. Sure it's 85 points but being able to move it before and after disembarking is pretty sweet since it can take objectives if it's a DT for a Troops choice and is a general pain in the rear end for the enemy anyway.

I thought in 30k that dedicated transports do not count as scoring but only the troops did.

Seirgon
Oct 23, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

The latest rules gave it drop pod assault along with some heat blast stuff.

Sweet,time to give my SoH some Dreadclaws then!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Stanyer69 is correct, there is no obsec so it does not confer over to other units. Sames goes with 'Implacable Advance'. Don't make the mistake of driving onto an objective and keeping your troops smugly inside on the last turn. Besides this Dreadclaws aren't usually dedicated transports unless you play SOH, Terminators, or are using the orbital assault rite of war.

Only troops (and a few other units) score. That's one of the big differences in the heresy.

PantsOptional posted:

Where would I find those latest rules? There's a 100 point version of a dreadclaw in book 3 but I didn't know if that overwrote the version from book 1.

Looks like the rules in book 3 and LACAL are identical, so those are the most current ones.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Night Lords Terror Squads running their Rite of War get Dreadclaws as dedicated transports as Troops because they know what is best in life: smashing lovely Loyalist marines and sitting on objectives like giant assholes.

I think that finally resolved my "kind in a candy store" dilemma about which Legion to pick.

E: derp, misread, they don't become scoring units but IDGAF, still gonna use dreadclaws to block the enemy off and heatfart on em

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 18, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ughhh can Garviel Loken actually take the Black Reaving rite of war? I think it's pretty weird because I thought that was a Traitor RoW for after Istvaan V.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Night Lords Terror Squads running their Rite of War get Dreadclaws as dedicated transports as Troops because they know what is best in life: smashing lovely Loyalist marines and sitting on objectives like giant assholes.

I think that finally resolved my "kind in a candy store" dilemma about which Legion to pick.

Between JackMack being an awesome dude and getting a chance to finally use my pot of blood for the blood god, I've decided to go with World Eaters.

And because I'm a sucker for getting to do weathering.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Chosing a legion is hard work. Now im stuck between Alpha Legion, Ultramarines (lolnope) and Loyalist SoH with Loyalist DG allies.

gently caress.

:negative:

Ultramarines are badass. Suck it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm running Cassian Dracos in a Dreadclaw. It's bonus flame attacks have +1 str because of Salamanders. Dracos is a baller dreadnought SC immune to basically all but Haywire. Gonna have a leviathan dreadnought with an ankylosaur shield. :getin:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Panascope slew one of my persistent campaign characters in our first campaign game. Dude is getting put into a siege dreadnought and will have his very own dreadclaw pimpmobile. Even in death he will own.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Just got my typhon tank, I'd like to know who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to attach the resin gates directly on the tracks :shepicide:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Just got my typhon tank, I'd like to know who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to attach the resin gates directly on the tracks :shepicide:

There's a lot of goofy poo poo like that in Forgeworld models. The Dreadclaw requires you to cut the attachment points off a regular drop pod door as part of its assembly.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Hey JackMack I would love some Sons of Horus shoulder pads if they're still available.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Recoome posted:

Ughhh can Garviel Loken actually take the Black Reaving rite of war? I think it's pretty weird because I thought that was a Traitor RoW for after Istvaan V.

I don't think any of the Rites are affiliation-restricted except for The Dark Brethren. Other than the Word Bearers, Rites seem to be for how that legion particularly fought, pre-Heresy or during.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Sketching together a Blood Angels list right now and here's where I'm at. Going with Furious Charge, seems fitting.

TROOPS
19x Marines, additional CCW
+ELITE Apothecarion
+FAST ATTACK Storm Eagle, multi melta+lascannons
-588pts

TROOPS
10x Marines
+Rhino
-185pts

ELITE
Contemptor, 2x Kheres assault cannons
-205pts

ELITE
5x Terminators, Cataphractii armor
+HEAVY SUPPORT Caestus Assault Ram
-480pts

TOTAL 1458

I want to start with 1850 points and it feels like I have a lot of different directions to go- I was thinking the general tactics would be to have the Contemptor handle the backfield while the Rhino squad grabs a relevant objective, and then an entire army of flying death just motherfucks whatever targets of opportunity get presented to me. To that end, I was considering just making the terminators a command squad with thunder hammers and combi-weapons alongside a Praetor with the Blood Angels artifact sword and a Primus Medicae. Adding in upgrades and such and that takes me to 1850 easy, but it feels like my main deathstar unit is a massive points sink. Is it too many eggs in a basket, or is a Caestus a tough enough basket to make it work?