Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It's not that funny because these literal schoolchildren control the majority of states and the legislature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Logikv9 posted:

It's not that funny because these literal schoolchildren control the majority of states and the legislature.

People who live in those states should stop voting for them. If not, they are getting the government they deserve.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm not really surprised that ISIS has Americans everywhere quaking in their boots at the thought of fearsome and untrustworthy Syrian refugees coming into the US but it's making me really sad.

I can't even get mad at the "I know how to stop this; just don't let any Muslims into the country!" attitude anymore; the situation is just too loving depressing. We've thrown away our humanity because a group of barbaric murderers spooked us with an attack in another loving country. They're getting exactly what they want with this poo poo and the populace at large doesn't seem to understand that at all.

I guess I can get angry at opportunistic and feckless politicians deliberately fanning the flames of hatred and paranoia for attention and votes, though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OB_Juan posted:

Imagine a Cruz rally interrupted by the President's limo rolling up through the crowd, Hail to the Chief blaring from a black SUV following it.

"By Gawd, that's Obama's music!"

Gawd dangit blastit the President's a n--*dong*

No dangit blastit I said the president is a n--*dong*

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

greatn posted:

George W Bush

You mean HW?
- Son of a man who ran an asset shielding shell game in support of German(see Nazis) Industrialists during WW2
- Was a GOP Nobody in 1963
- Was in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963
- Became a rising star in 1964
- Became head of the CIA in 1976
- Was up to his eyeballs in Iran Contra

Not that I'm saying he killed or was involved with killing Kennedy, just pointing out some facts, asking some questions.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Riptor posted:

Agreed, at least they can get some kickass pizza in new haven

God I miss Frank Pepe's

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

greatn posted:

Christie could. Everything is legal in New Jersey.

Careful how you proceed good man, intemperate indeed, good man, answer to the accusations I lay at your feet or prepare to bleed, good man.

I am have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - T.Cruz

This is a good cluster of references, especially considering the alma maters in play.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Joementum posted:

Bob Taft, a.k.a. "Mr. Republican", 1939.

I'm way behind in the thread, but a distant relative of mine said America was still reeling from the Depression at the time ( albeit ten years after the crash).
Is this a valid defense? Is there any data to refute this?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What are the good charities to support with the whole refugee resettlement thing? Does anyone know a trustworthy way to find ones locally? I can google, but I don't know if the ones I'm finding are like the ones or what.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

I don't think you're allowed to challenge the POTUS to a duel Mr. Cruz.

Yeah thats the VP's job

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

I'm way behind in the thread, but a distant relative of mine said America was still reeling from the Depression at the time ( albeit ten years after the crash).
Is this a valid defense? Is there any data to refute this?

I mean the Depression was still on at the time but let's not pretend that America, oh and everywhere, was deeply anti-Semetic at the time.

I can't recall a time where a wave of immigrants wasn't met with suspicion and scorn in this the land of immigrants.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

I mean the Depression was still on at the time but let's not pretend that America, oh and everywhere, was deeply anti-Semetic at the time.

I can't recall a time where a wave of immigrants wasn't met with suspicion and scorn in this the land of immigrants.

1620?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Joementum posted:

There might be larger problems with this strategy than its cost.

It is statements like this that make this thread awesome. I just about died laughing on the bus from this.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah thats the VP's job

I'd pay good money to watch Diamond Joe punch Cruz's face in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty sure the Indians weren't happy about it, and they actually were right to be afraid!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Pretty sure the Indians weren't happy about it, and they actually were right to be afraid!

They seemed to get over it a little less than a year at least.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hang on everyone, Abbott just remembered there are already ISIS membe-...I mean refugees in Texas! Better look into them.

quote:

"I direct the Texas Department of Public Safety to work with federal and local officials to ensure any refugees already in this state do not pose a risk to public safety," Abbott wrote in a letter to Col. Steve McCraw, the department's director.

More than 200 Syrian refugees were resettled in Texas during the fiscal year that ended Aug. 31, according to the state health commission. Twenty-one more have been resettled since the beginning of September.

Overall, there are 70,000 refugees from 78 countries living in Houston alone and about 4,800 who came to Harris County just last year, mostly from Iraq and Cuba.

The governor's office described the move as "precautionary" and "not in response to a specific threat." A public safety department spokesman declined comment.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

People who live in those states should stop voting for them. If not, they are getting the government they deserve.

This is a remarkable new idea. Why has nobody ever considered this before? All hail McMagic, high sovereign of thinking stuff.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015

Times like these I'm proud of my state! New Haven's not bad, I hope they open a restaurant. It'd fit right in and the middle eastern food selection is shockingly lacking.

Pepe's is overrated sorry everyone

MySwan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In Santa Monica, they're so afraid of minorities that they dispatch 19 armed police officers when your neighbor calls and says a Hispanic person is breaking into your apartment. And then point a gun to your head because you're black and "I ain't seen you here before"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...88063&tid=ss_tw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A ton of new good polls for Trump today. He's not going away.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What I don't understand is, why doesn't Congress require refugees to be antisemitism-free before admitting them to America?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Don't underestimate the likelihood of a politician boxing his way into the highest office in the land.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ha, look at this HW ad from 1988.

Something like this would be a disaster in the current race.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Toshimo posted:

This is a remarkable new idea. Why has nobody ever considered this before? All hail McMagic, high sovereign of thinking stuff.

People deserve a better government than they vote for.

And that precise thought is why I'm the enemy of all conservative flavors everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is america.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Fite me irl, says man aspiring to nation's highest office.

I guess since Trump hit the Xenophobia Jackpot on Friday, Cruz has got to up the ante to stay in the game.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Meanwhile, from the weird young Republican voting base...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zoux posted:

Fite me irl, says man aspiring to nation's highest office.

That doughy fucktard might be the least physically intimidating being on planet earth.

See?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RevKrule posted:

From a purely political standpoint, doesn't taking in refugees make an assload of sense? Even if you're a republican, you can take them and split them between districts and then come 2020, you've got a lot more people in your state allowing a shift in EVs. Add in some gerrymandering and you've got another 1 or 2 people in the House without much effort on your part.

Refugees aren't American citizens and cannot vote. Their children that are born in the US or become naturalized American citizens will be able to vote, but the effects of the Syrian diaspora won't be appreciably felt for about 20 years.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Meanwhile, from the weird young Republican voting base...

No no, republicans aren't militaristic authoritarians! Where would you ever get that idea!?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mcmagic posted:

A ton of new good polls for Trump today. He's not going away.

And Carson falling

Question is if it was the insane rant from trump or just all the lies.

Rubio gaining in some of them though, but it could just be a blip again

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

What about that time a state congress had a fluff bill to name the state bird and the crazy GOPer turned it into a crazy anti-abortion rant.

The actual group of schoolchildren got to learn an important truth that day.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ha, look at this HW ad from 1988.

Something like this would be a disaster in the current race.

How have Conservatives gotten more xenophobic over time?

We... we must purge our ranks of those who would speak kindly of what is becoming a larger voting block by the year!!! Goddammit we gotta do it guys c'mon!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kaal posted:

Refugees aren't American citizens and cannot vote. Their children that are born in the US or become naturalized American citizens will be able to vote, but the effects of the Syrian diaspora won't be appreciably felt for about 20 years.

Their population actually still counts when it comes to districts and proportioning representatives and electors. Even illegal immigrants count.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

What about that time a state congress had a fluff bill to name the state bird and the crazy GOPer turned it into a crazy anti-abortion rant.

The actual group of schoolchildren got to learn an important truth that day.

Not as much fun as the time an actual schoolchild proposed giving South Carolina an official state fossil and the legislature turned it into a huge slapfight over evolution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

How have Conservatives gotten more xenophobic over time?

We... we must purge our ranks of those who would speak kindly of what is becoming a larger voting block by the year!!! Goddammit we gotta do it guys c'mon!

It's cyclical.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kaal posted:

Sure, but he isn't talking about relying on their votes, just using the influx as artificial growth to boost the number of seats your state gets following the census. Apportionment isn't based on voters or citizens, it's based on a simple count of all residents. In fact, having them not be voters is ideal, because you can import 30,000 refugee children and use their numbers to scoop up more seats without having to worry about them affecting the voting pattern for years and years.

I am pretty sure there are districts that already do basically this by counting the population of prisoners living in the area, aren't there?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

Not as much fun as the time an actual schoolchild proposed giving South Carolina an official state fossil and the legislature turned it into a huge slapfight over evolution.

I didn't remember that one.

Also one of these things had a Regressive make a quip about how fluff bills are a waste of time.

Before naming the muffin state dessert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, gee fellas I sure can't see how that could possibly be abused.

• Locked thread