Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Ashcans posted:

Sure, but he isn't talking about relying on their votes, just using the influx as artificial growth to boost the number of seats your state gets following the census. Apportionment isn't based on voters or citizens, it's based on a simple count of all residents. In fact, having them not be voters is ideal, because you can import 30,000 refugee children and use their numbers to scoop up more seats without having to worry about them affecting the voting pattern for years and years.

I am pretty sure there are districts that already do basically this by counting the population of prisoners living in the area, aren't there?

It was a big issue in New York since the state prisons are upstate and filled with prisoners from downstate, but I think it was changed a few years ago so that they were counted as if they were at their last address prior to incarceration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I'm not really surprised that ISIS has Americans everywhere quaking in their boots at the thought of fearsome and untrustworthy Syrian refugees coming into the US but it's making me really sad.

I can't even get mad at the "I know how to stop this; just don't let any Muslims into the country!" attitude anymore; the situation is just too loving depressing. We've thrown away our humanity because a group of barbaric murderers spooked us with an attack in another loving country. They're getting exactly what they want with this poo poo and the populace at large doesn't seem to understand that at all.

I guess I can get angry at opportunistic and feckless politicians deliberately fanning the flames of hatred and paranoia for attention and votes, though.

Don't tell us about it. Tell other people. Seriously, for all that USPOL's a great place to bitch, the way to fight rhetoric like this right now is by directly fighting rhetoric like this in your own life right now.

MySwan posted:

Pepe's is overrated sorry everyone

:hf: My man! (Sally's or Modern?)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

haveblue posted:

Not as much fun as the time an actual schoolchild proposed giving South Carolina an official state fossil and the legislature turned it into a huge slapfight over evolution.
Or the time an Idaho student proposed a state amphibian and it was shot down because a) the EPA might try to protect it, and b) it was icky.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Fite me irl, says man aspiring to nation's highest office.

You tell him CJ Craig said he's a coward.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Fite me irl, says man aspiring to nation's highest office.

lmao. Obama, giggles, says it to his face.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

Well, gee fellas I sure can't see how that could possibly be abused.

We will do what Obama refuses to do, travel back in time and kill baby Adolf ISIL.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh and Trump is now calling for the GOP to shutdown the government over refugees.

if they don't do it, he captures the base's anger and racism

If they do it and lose (which they will) he can argue he would have gotten a better deal and capture the base's anger and racism

If they do it and win (not gonna happen) he gets acclaim for it (though here Cruz et al join in)

He really gets this group

Right before Christmas too. What a wonderful time to shut down the government.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're like me, in addition to having a huge dick you are also terribly dismayed by the reaction to the Paris attacks and the Islamophobic rhetoric oneupsmanship. This was making the rounds yesterday, it's a Parisian father talking to his son about the attacks, and I found it especially heartwarming and in direct contrast to the hatespeech we've been listening to the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBcYMaz0Jg

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You know what would be awesome to see? Obama challenge Ted Cruz to a one-on-one, Lincoln-Douglas style debate.

I think Ted Cruz is the only candidate with an ego large enough to take up such an offer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

zoux posted:

So... he's basically advocating total, unrestricted, eternal war?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't want Cruz to win the nomination. Not that I'm worried that he would win, I just want to preserve his crazy for future elections.

He's running on the lolplatform of more conservatism = win, and if Cruz gets the nomination and loses it disproves that whole thing. I mean, who is going to argue that Cruz isn't conservative enough? I want someone else that can easily be tossed under the bus after losing for not being conservative enough.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There is always someone more conservative.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

You know what would be awesome to see? Obama challenge Ted Cruz to a one-on-one, Lincoln-Douglas style debate.

I think Ted Cruz is the only candidate with an ego large enough to take up such an offer.

With a timekeeper...and a moderator. :newt:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Isn't Obama saying AUMF 2002 counts against ISIS?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I thought this was going to be a Pacquiao reference.

Monkey Fracas posted:

How have Conservatives gotten more xenophobic over time?

We... we must purge our ranks of those who would speak kindly of what is becoming a larger voting block by the year!!! Goddammit we gotta do it guys c'mon!

They had one shot at expanding the definition of 'white man' to include just enough more people that they wouldn't need to keep pandering to a voter base that keeps getting smaller and keeps demanding more and more insanity.

They decided not to do it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Only because Congress wouldn't give him a newer AUMF (because what Obama wanted was too limited if I'm not mistaken)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I don't want Cruz to win the nomination. Not that I'm worried that he would win, I just want to preserve his crazy for future elections.

He's running on the lolplatform of more conservatism = win, and if Cruz gets the nomination and loses it disproves that whole thing. I mean, who is going to argue that Cruz isn't conservative enough? I want someone else that can easily be tossed under the bus after losing for not being conservative enough.

Lol no.

They failed conservatism, conservatism did not fail.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Congress specifically said it was when he asked for a new AUMF.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

Before naming the muffin state dessert.

gently caress him for thinking that a breakfast food is a dessert and gently caress any of you who agree with him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Logikv9 posted:

When Cruz loses it will be because the evil GOP establishment who are all clearly RINO's will have sabotage'd him.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Obama is a fan of Lincoln, so if Cruz does challenge him to a duel, maybe we'll get to see broadswords in a pit. http://mentalfloss.com/article/12382/time-abraham-lincoln-and-political-rival-almost-dueled-island

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Radish posted:

There is always someone more conservative.

PhazonLink posted:

Lol no.

They failed conservatism, conservatism did not fail.

mcmagic posted:

When Cruz loses it will be because the evil GOP establishment who are all clearly RINO's will have sabotage'd him.

gently caress, this is all true. Then :getin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

wow, he seriously wants to go full imperium of mankind on isis. blessed is the mind to small for doubt.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Luigi Thirty posted:

In Santa Monica, they're so afraid of minorities that they dispatch 19 armed police officers when your neighbor calls and says a Hispanic person is breaking into your apartment. And then point a gun to your head because you're black and "I ain't seen you here before"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...88063&tid=ss_tw

Yeah, this sounds like Santa Monica.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Additionally, the reason that Sanders, an actual serious candidate who is deffo trying as hard as he can to win the nomination, hasn't given a full on foreign policy speech is because "they take too long to write"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, and the republicans refuse to call him on it, because they don't want to have that vote held over them.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Perestroika posted:

He's Lindsey Graham.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Perestroika posted:

Insane Republican Fan Fic posted:

“When I was elected, I told you I wanted to be briefed on your plan to utterly destroy ISIS, General,” the President said. He was young and usually quite calm, but as a Cuban-American son of immigrants, he understood tyranny and knew how to deal with it. “General, what you gave me are timid half-measures that don’t begin to meet the intent I expressed to you. Now, I may not have served myself, but I understand the old game of manipulating civilian leadership by providing just the options you want instead of the ones the commander-in-chief requested. You’re relieved of command, General. Fired. Agents, show the general out.”

He turned to his chief of staff. “Get the Wildman on the line.” As the Secret Service agents bum rushed the stunned four star out of the Oval Office, the President took the phone.

On a Florida golf course, the secure cell phone of the retired Marine everyone called “The Wildman” rang, ruining his putt. The Wildman was a legend for his aggression, hence his nickname. President Obama had naturally felt it necessary to replace him with a more pliable, passive CENTCOM commander. He answered, then listened.

“General, this is the President. We need you. I am ordering you off the retired list and back to active duty as CENTCOM commander, effective immediately. I want to see your plan for the total destruction of ISIS in 72 hours. Your rules of engagement are simple. Wipe them out.”

http://journal.ijreview.com/2015/11/250238-what-defeating-isis-would-look-like/

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mattavist posted:

gently caress him for thinking that a breakfast food is a dessert and gently caress any of you who agree with him.

Sugar + cake-like substance = dessert.

Pancakes, like muffins, are also desserts. :colbert:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
It's going to get a bit worse, republicans have been shown that refugees are literally already here and this is the response we're going to start seeing:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/11/17/tennessee-gop-leader-round-up-syrian-refugees-remove-state/75936660/

quote:

"I’m not worried about what a bureaucrat in D.C. or an unelected judge thinks. ... We need to gather (Syrian refugees) up and politely take them back to the ICE center and say, 'They’re not coming to Tennessee, they’re yours.' "

Expect to see the "round 'em up and get 'em out" contingent in full swing by the end of the week.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Additionally, the reason that Sanders, an actual serious candidate who is deffo trying as hard as he can to win the nomination, hasn't given a full on foreign policy speech is because "they take too long to write"

is he acting like female sucide bombers are a new thing, i thought they were pretty common, even before iraq. i mean i know the iraqi insurgency used mentaly disabled people and kids as bombers. but more on topic. nice to see that they dont even want to let women and children in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

It's going to get a bit worse, republicans have been shown that refugees are literally already here and this is the response we're going to start seeing:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/11/17/tennessee-gop-leader-round-up-syrian-refugees-remove-state/75936660/

Expect to see the "round 'em up and get 'em out" contingent in full swing by the end of the week.

isn't it already. i mean trump said that he would deport them all if he got elected,including ones that lived here.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

I actually don't know the details of all this, could they do anything about refugees who have already been living here? Are they technically on the way to becoming citizens, or do refugees stay here on semi-permanent visas?

But then again, the type of people who talk about throwing refugees out want to deport anybody who fails the paper bag test anyway.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Riosan posted:

I actually don't know the details of all this, could they do anything about refugees who have already been living here? Are they technically on the way to becoming citizens, or do refugees stay here on semi-permanent visas?

But then again, the type of people who talk about this want to deport anybody who fails the paper bag test.

Once admitted to the US refugees have an immigration status and work authorization, which can't be altered by anyone but the federal agencies responsible for it. After a year, refugees apply for permanent residence and become green card holders, and five years after that they can apply for citizenship.

The only way this changes is through the federal government, states and local offices have no control over immigration status or benefits. This doesn't mean they can't hassle people like shitheads though, I guess.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congress specifically said it was when he asked for a new AUMF.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yes, and the republicans refuse to call him on it, because they don't want to have that vote held over them.
Isn't Congress amazing? No, not amazing, nightmarish.:suicide:

Seriously it's amazing how hosed up this is. Obama has specifically said he's not sure that the 2001 AUMF gives him the legality to attack ISIL, and so he tried to do things "the right way" and have Congress pass a new AMUF specifically for fighting ISIL. Congress refused.

So now we're using a bill that Authorizes the Use of Military Force against Al-Qaeda to attack a group that is not Al-Qaeda, and is in fact fighting with Al-Qaeda in Syria right now. The only reason this isn't more of an issue is because everybody hates ISIL.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I feel like this is where the Daleks are going to come from. Lindsey Graham has started the Time War.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ashcans posted:

Once admitted to the US refugees have an immigration status and work authorization, which can't be altered by anyone but the federal agencies responsible for it. After a year, refugees apply for permanent residence and become green card holders, and five years after that they can apply for citizenship.

The only way this changes is through the federal government, states and local offices have no control over immigration status or benefits. This doesn't mean they can't hassle people like shitheads though, I guess.

Yeah, I think the fear is that state governments will do explicitly illegal things like deny Medicaid eligibility, just because they know they can get away with it in the short term.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trump is in Birmingham Alabama today. I hope he takes my advice and promises to make america grits again.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

greatn posted:

Trump is in Birmingham Alabama today. I hope he takes my advice and promises to make america grits again.

You can't take that from Huckabee, he'll challenge Trump to fisticuffs first.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Thank you, that's very informative! I knew the governors couldn't gently caress with refugees beyond just posturing, but not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fade5 posted:

Isn't Congress amazing? No, not amazing, nightmarish.:suicide:

Seriously it's amazing how hosed up this is. Obama has specifically said he's not sure that the 2001 AUMF gives him the legality to attack ISIL, and so he tried to do things "the right way" and have Congress pass a new AMUF specifically for fighting ISIL. Congress refused.

So now we're using a bill that Authorizes the Use of Military Force against Al-Qaeda to attack a group that is not Al-Qaeda, and is in fact fighting with Al-Qaeda in Syria right now. The only reason this isn't more of an issue is because everybody hates ISIL.

Thats why I said the AUMF 2002, which authorized war against Iraq. Conveniently ISIS claims to be Iraq so we're good to go!

• Locked thread