Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Victoria 3 needs a longer timeline. Vic2 was great but so short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

whats the good dlc for ck2? i want to get horse lords because im reading about the mongols and theyre cool and also barnacle jim.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Legacy of Rome adds retinues and stuff, and Way of Life adds a ton more events and lets you have more control over your character. All of the other DLCs mostly just add things for specific nations, cultures, and religions. I would say that Sons of Abraham is a must-buy if you're playing a catholic, all the other DLCs just let you play as more government types.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Legacy of Rome adds retinues and stuff, and Way of Life adds a ton more events and lets you have more control over your character. All of the other DLCs mostly just add things for specific nations, cultures, and religions. I would say that Sons of Abraham is a must-buy if you're playing a catholic, all the other DLCs just let you play as more government types.

Pretty much this. Also avoid Charlemagne if possible, its a real stinker.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also the Cossacks expansion for EU4 will add a lot of cool poo poo for Tengri hordes so check it out if you want to revive the Great Khanate during the 1500s!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soa, lor, wol, are like the essentials that add poo poo to the base...probably old gods too. Everything else is kinda lovely.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol finally

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

and wicked cheaper cost too. guess im doing manchu game first...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna do Novgorod again for the 8000th time because I always die trying to press all my claims in time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does novogord get cool claim missions or just from forming russia?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does novogord get cool claim missions or just from forming russia?

Ya. It's important to form Russia asap because you get Russian missions and events.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

do you stay as a merchant republic because that's super cool if so.

also i guess it doesnt matter because after cossacks you'll be able to choose to stay as merchant republic (i think?)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm gonna do Novgorod again for the 8000th time because I always die trying to press all my claims in time.

Novgorod was my first EU3 game...memories.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
My first EU3 game was Tver. The first century or so was really interesting because I still sucked at the game and the game really wanted Muscovy to form Russia.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That feel when you are fighting an early game war of attrition in 1490 b/c of a 100k+ troop coalition

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Merchant prince of Miami is a cool way to be

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

zeal posted:

Merchant prince of Miami is a cool way to be

Merchant Prince of Bel-Air.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's a good fuckin idea that will have to wait until i get bored with the new version of Elder Kings

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
is elder kings fun

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

I just lost a Medri Bahri game. I had conquered down to Mogadishu, had Alodia as a vassal, and managed to get my country's ruling dynasty to be the Solomonids. I claim Ethiopia's throne when they have an heir with a weak claim and a regency council, and launch a secession war, where Alodia's army fails to ever reinforce mine in a battle and I loving lose everything except my original starting provinces and the provinces that make up Adal. I even set their army behavior to be supportive, and spent months before the war in their capital where their army was, hoping they would link up with me. I really wish the AI was better in these games.

e:Is there any possible way to salvage this game or should I just abandon it? I went bankrupt twice hiring shitloads of mercs trying to crush Ethiopia, and now none of the coptic nations will ally me and I think I'm hosed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

do you stay as a merchant republic because that's super cool if so.

also i guess it doesnt matter because after cossacks you'll be able to choose to stay as merchant republic (i think?)

Yeah...that's pretty much the point of it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah...that's pretty much the point of it.

I didn't know, some nation formations let you stay and some don't. Thanks though

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MindSet posted:

is elder kings fun

i like it a lot. the magic system is cool, and not nearly as overpowered as previous versions. the mechanics for different races (elves live for centuries unless killed by violence or disease but both parents lose fertility with each kid, for instance) add a lot of new twists to dynastic politics. i've been playing an argonian dynasty that recently rose from count level to duke level, and transformed my primitive lizard tribe into a merchant republic. plus the Akhenaten Flu has just thrown most of the major powers surrounding Black Marsh into chaos while leaving us Argonians alone. good time to be lizard people

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
nice

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Tyring to go revolutionary is so annoying... my vassals kill all my revolutionary rebels, and the event doesnt fire until they have the capital. Well the only rebels left are in india and will only spawn in india now because of high unrest there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Tyring to go revolutionary is so annoying... my vassals kill all my revolutionary rebels, and the event doesnt fire until they have the capital. Well the only rebels left are in india and will only spawn in india now because of high unrest there.

I really really wish that if you Enable Scutage, your vassals wouldn't kill your rebels either.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Average Bear posted:

You can't Accept Demands unless they hold the capital either?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm glad the game stops you from trying to pull gamey horse crap.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

becoming the revolution is fun and good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'd rather the player get the revolutionary bonuses than 2PM Hesse who is instantly crushed by the France-Austria alliance that forms every game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Knuc U Kinte posted:

it seems bad that the compromise paradox went with was 'you can use rebels to do gamey stuff, but you have to sit around for a while being annoyed at them first.'

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

it seems bad that the compromise paradox went with was 'you can use rebels to do gamey stuff, but you have to sit around for a while being annoyed at them first.'

Doing gamey stuff should be annoying.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why? I don't see a reason for tons of limitations in single player. It's not like the game is really a challenge there. In MP it's different and you have no time to so stuff like that anyways.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why? I don't see a reason for tons of limitations in single player. It's not like the game is really a challenge there. In MP it's different and you have no time to so stuff like that anyways.

Use the console to do poo poo you like if you feel that way.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Use the console to do poo poo you like if you feel that way.

You can't do most of it with console, except to accelerate rebel fuckery

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

You can't do most of it with console, except to accelerate rebel fuckery

Well, you can force events to fire if you look up the id from the files even if the prequisites aren't filled.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I'm wanting to play a WWII based strategy game and some people here mentioned HoI isn't very good. I haven't really played any similar titles and I have read it's pretty involved so would there be something similar anyone here would suggest?

Even turn based combat stuff would be okay.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 24, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's ironman and I can't use the console. The revolution is pretty useless in the AIs hand because any strong enough nation to be revolutionary will crush 3 medium sized rebel stacks. So it's just some extra endgame fun after I've already won anyway.

I think there needs to be some late game DHE war or something to encourage a huge disaster for a major power. Or more late game features in general.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hoi 4 is gonna be ftw dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm Adolf Hitler.