Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SLOSifl posted:

Jesus christ dude. It has nothing to do with the number of colors in any way, only brightness.

Also to your previous point, why would you ever pick a background that was a nightmare to configure or read text on? I want this cake picture on my wrist, too bad it's impossible to read anything on.

Lumens (brightness) is a big part of OLED power draw, but different colors have different efficiency levels and will draw different power at the same lumens output. Displaymate did a pretty detailed report on this, but their page isn't loading very well right now. Here's the link: http://www.displaymate.com/Apple_Watch_ShootOut_1.htm

From google cache

Displaymate posted:

· For OLEDs, Blue is by far the least power efficient primary drive color, so it is desirable to reduce the Blue drive levels whenever possible. Just lowering the White point down to the Standard 6,500K from the Bluish 7,200K can save almost 10 percent on display power.

· For OLEDs, going a step further and turning off the least efficient Blue drive entirely, producing a Red-Yellow-Green color space, would produce a 35 percent display power savings for the same Luminance. Going even further and in addition turning off the Red drive and just using the most efficient Green primary would produce a 55 percent display power savings for the same Luminance. For some situations and applications this would be very helpful and can be used to improve both screen Brightness and running time on battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
why is this discussion still happening

ickna
May 19, 2004

quote:

[J]ust using the most efficient Green primary would produce a 55 percent display power savings for the same Luminance.

Neat, so this is probably why the reserve mode clock face is green and only uses 1/4 of the the screen.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

noirstronaut posted:

why is this discussion still happening

Well, I think the supposition is that Apple is withholding custom faces and complications just. To be dicks, whereas they're likely doing it to make sure they make it a good customer experience. V1 is always a little tricky. Remember cut and paste in iOS 1?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's probably both reasons TBH

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Custom watch faces will come on Applewatch 2016. Just like MMS was held back from the iphone 2g

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Diabolik900 posted:

The Activity complication was changed to multicolor on two faces: Modular and Utility. Only Modular lets you change it back to one color though. That's what Gruber's complained about.

Thanks, I did figure that out when I went to mess with it more. I don't mind it in muticolor on Utility, but hate it on Modular.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Hi Apple Watch thread,

I'm planning on getting the Apple Watch Sport on Friday and I want to order a band alongside it from Amazon. Are there any third party bands on Amazon to stay away from? I'm looking for leather and I'm considering these:

http://www.amazon.com/eLander-Top-g...pple+watch+band

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leath...pple+watch+band

http://www.amazon.com/Evershop-Stai...XW6PZX8GDCG5RBG (not leather)

Let me know if any of these are terrible or if there's a better option available! Thank you.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

A little cheaper and more color options:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DP2M3Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JOPHSBPDA12X&coliid=I3TU09IQGAYUJX&psc=1

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Hi Apple Watch thread,

I'm planning on getting the Apple Watch Sport on Friday and I want to order a band alongside it from Amazon. Are there any third party bands on Amazon to stay away from? I'm looking for leather and I'm considering these:rl]

Let me know if any of these are terrible or if there's a better option available! Thank you.
I picked up this Milanese loop and it looks great. It's on sale for $21 right now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I picked up this Milanese loop and it looks great. It's on sale for $21 right now.

I love the big "ROTI" on the band. Classy.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Anyone know any other places to get bands like these? Amazon unfortunately isn't friendly to Australian buyers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Amazon is fine, it's third party sellers that are the problem.

With that particular band, it seems unlikely there would be somewhere else to buy ti from because the manufacturer appears to be the seller.

Here's another random band I found that is sold by Amazon and ships to Australia, but is out of stock right now.
http://www.amazon.com/iWatch-Metal-...in%3A3242350011

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I ended up ordering the milanese loop that I linked in my post because I'm worried about it getting loose throughout the day and those reviews were all positive.

I've had the watch for 9 hours so far and I dig it! I needed a new watch anyways and the little things it can do for me are great. The timelapse faces are awesome.

Edit: why ain't there an Awful watch app?

Edit 2: having an airplay remote on my wrist is awesome.

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 14, 2015

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Whoops, turns out the Milanese band I ordered is hot garbage and slips and slides around. Oh well. I imagine all of the 3rd party loops are like that.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Whoops, turns out the Milanese band I ordered is hot garbage and slips and slides around. Oh well. I imagine all of the 3rd party loops are like that.

Mine doesn't. Does yours have a magnetic or mechanical clasp?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My mechanical Milanese loop is great and was $20. The connector is dead simple, so there's no reason any band maker can't deliver to their usual standards. I mean, you can absolutely buy a lovely band, but you can buy a band of any quality if you try.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

clockworx posted:

Mine doesn't. Does yours have a magnetic or mechanical clasp?

Yeah, mine is magnetic. That should have been a big red flag. I may return it and get a mechanical loop.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hi Apple Watch thread,

I'm planning on getting the Apple Watch Sport on Friday and I want to order a band alongside it from Amazon. Are there any third party bands on Amazon to stay away from? I'm looking for leather and I'm considering these:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leath...pple+watch+band

I got a cheap leather one similar to what you posted on Amazon. It was ok but it did feel cheap and I never wear it. There are some pretty sweet leather ones on etsy but you're going to be spending probably twice as much (still way cheaper than Apple). For metal bands, Amazon is probably better. I plan to get one in the near future.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I have nearly all third party bands, and they have all been great quality. Maybe I lucked out, but the Milanese one is pretty great

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Which one did you get? There's a dozen different manufacturers on Aamzon selling them.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Vintimus Prime posted:

I have nearly all third party bands, and they have all been great quality. Maybe I lucked out, but the Milanese one is pretty great

I'd be curious to see which one you got. Like I said, I got this one and it would not stay tight. I'm not sure how much of that is normal Milanese loop behavior, though?

The more I look into 3rd party bands the more hesitant I get. There are so many customer reviews where the part that connects to the watch breaks and the entire thing falls apart. I don't want to spend a lot on official Apple bands though :'(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buy a set of adapters and use standard watchbands. Suddenly, the world is your oyster.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

I'd be curious to see which one you got. Like I said, I got this one and it would not stay tight. I'm not sure how much of that is normal Milanese loop behavior, though?

The more I look into 3rd party bands the more hesitant I get. There are so many customer reviews where the part that connects to the watch breaks and the entire thing falls apart. I don't want to spend a lot on official Apple bands though :'(

That one isn't a Milanese Loop....

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

clockworx posted:

That one isn't a Milanese Loop....

Whoops, this one. My b!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
milanese loops just look like futuristic handcuffs

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So that new official charging dock is pretty spiffy, eh?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLDW2/apple-watch-magnetic-charging-dock-white?fnode=80

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

I have the Apple Milanese loop and it slips too. It actually didn't do it at first, so I'm wondering if the magnet just might be dirty or something.

Wow, that's retarded.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Why? The watch can lay flat or upright. Doesn't require a separate charger. When you factor all that in, $80 isn't much more than what you'd end up paying for some other fancy dock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's $50 more than you'll pay for some other fancy dock.

$20 if you buy another cable for it, but you shouldn't need to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's $50 more than you'll pay for some other fancy dock.

I was looking at what they had at Best Buy, and they were all priced similarly to that, $60-$80, with the big difference being you had to provide the charging cable. So while this is way too much for what you get, it is competitively priced.

shiftless
May 18, 2005

The watch docks are a little silly. They just take up space when you're not using them and it's not like you need it to prop it up like an iPhone or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

shiftless posted:

The watch docks are a little silly. They just take up space when you're not using them and it's not like you need it to prop it up like an iPhone or something.

You do for nightstand mode.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I bought this $8 one: http://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Night-Stand-Apple-Watch-Black/dp/B0127F1IC4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1447877033&sr=8-7&keywords=apple+watch+dock

It's good enough for me. I like having it so the charging cord stays on my nightstand.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LorneReams posted:

I have the Apple Milanese loop and it slips too. It actually didn't do it at first, so I'm wondering if the magnet just might be dirty or something.
Mines fine, but I guess how much slippage you mean. I know it gets looser, but not noticeably loose enough or anything, like it's still snug when I wear it.

Jose Oquendo posted:

You do for nightstand mode.
The watch itself can sit fine sideways cause the band just holds it up, and the charger disc rests fine vertically.

I do get the convenience of docks though, it (if only slightly) simplifies something you do twice a day for as long as you have the device, but I ain't paying $80 for that convenience. I kinda like that it looks squishy/soft though...maybe I'll wait for a cheap knockoff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

I bought this $8 one: http://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Night-Stand-Apple-Watch-Black/dp/B0127F1IC4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1447877033&sr=8-7&keywords=apple+watch+dock

It's good enough for me. I like having it so the charging cord stays on my nightstand.

I just ordered one of those a couple days back. I did have one of the upright ones, but it's cheap plastic and it always fell over trying to get the watch to stay on. The magnet on the charger isn't as strong as I think it should be.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I bought one of those from Spigen. The bottom is sticky so it will stay on the flat surface.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Making a stand that can work in either orientation seems odd. Like there's no way you aren't going to end up with a weird compromise.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
I bought this one for my watch and phone. Has a decently heavy base so it doesn't move, and a bit of rubber matting around the watch charger to help it stay in position. Still twists a bit when you bump it but not horribly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

killa-pope posted:

I bought this one for my watch and phone. Has a decently heavy base so it doesn't move, and a bit of rubber matting around the watch charger to help it stay in position. Still twists a bit when you bump it but not horribly so.

Seconding this for the watch. I don't like it as a phone stand, but the watch stand by itself is still great.

For my Apple Watch I just need one charger for my nightstand (the one above) and one for travel. Not bad at all.

• Locked thread