Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That was a painfully sensible answer.
why would they make laser guns that take 3 times as long to kill people though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Yeah I lowered my expectations for this game when it was revealed and I am enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

as advanced as 1/3 as effective

seriously though gently caress their mass-produced garbage, I'm gonna stick with artisanal, handcrafted lasers

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Whoa wait. That Gun isn't in this game?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Because they're the Institute.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skeezy posted:

and you are surprised how

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Do settlers collect crops for me or do I have to do that myself?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Plot Twist: Obsidian is doing all the DLC and the main story of FO4 will be retconned away. You'll wake up from the cryo-chamber with your son shot in the head on the floor, holding nothing but a poker chip while Frank Sinatra plays on the vault radio.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

im guessing its probably because all the playtesters were getting rocked non stop so they lowered the damage

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've gotten one decent legendary about 75% of the way through the game (a sniper rifle that did 50% greater damage to humans) and the game froze immediately after I picked it up. Everything else has been total poo poo metal and leather armor that replicates effects I already have, or melee weapons. Has anyone had actual good luck getting decent legendaries?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

Do settlers collect crops for me or do I have to do that myself?

They dump spare crops in the workshop but you can always gather more manually.

I don't bother doing any farmwork but I can still make a couple of cans of vegetable starch every half hour or so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

probably because all the playtesters were getting rocked non stop so they lowered the damage
just give them 10mm pistols and hunting rifles and leave the goods for the later enemies, this isn't hard

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yeah that's what I was looking for. The door I was looking to open nevern did. The paladin just sort of appeared on the other side. Hope I'll be able to get out. When I was googling in saw some people were stuck.
Uhh, if you look at the unlocked lab assistant's terminal that's to nine o'clock when you are facing the door-opener terminal, they have an email which has his password.

edit: I did this just a couple hours ago without even 1 point in hacking, so you don't need to hack jack poo poo.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 19, 2015

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I've gotten one decent legendary about 75% of the way through the game (a sniper rifle that did 50% greater damage to humans) and the game froze immediately after I picked it up. Everything else has been total poo poo metal and leather armor that replicates effects I already have, or melee weapons. Has anyone had actual good luck getting decent legendaries?

Welcome to why randomized borderlands style loot is really loving awful in a game like FO4. The flip side is they put like 1/100th the work of previous games hiding unique and interesting to find weapons throughout the world.

Good for them. Bad for you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

and you are surprised how

I just assumed it would be in the game always. Just as a thing they have always done. Oh well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I'm in the same boat, the only good legendaries I've got I either bought or was rewarded.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Welcome to why randomized borderlands style loot is really loving awful in a game like FO4. The flip side is they put like 1/100th the work of previous games hiding unique and interesting to find weapons throughout the world.

Good for them. Bad for you.

Basically this.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Digital_Jesus posted:

Plot Twist: Obsidian is doing all the DLC and the main story of FO4 will be retconned away. You'll wake up from the cryo-chamber with your son shot in the head on the floor, holding nothing but a poker chip while Frank Sinatra plays on the vault radio.
only if i get to hear a voiced version of 'you're 'chip' outta luck'

sector_corrector posted:

i got a gauss rifle that does 50% more damage to humans and never used any other gun again
before that i used a semi-auto assault rifle and combat shotgun
and before that i used a sniper rifle and combat shotgun

the assault rifle is actually like stupidly powerful. i'm not sure if it's got some kind of DT piercing effect naturally but it shreds a lot of stuff that otherwise seems to take forever to kill before you get a plasma/gauss rifle

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

computer parts posted:

You might refer to A Canticle for Leibowitz here.

If you like, then, 200 years post-war Fallout's setting, before Fallout 3, was meant to be roughly equivalent to the world in Fiat Lux. Then Fallout 3 is a story set in the world of Fiat Homo, but instead of just doing the sensible thing and setting the story during the events of Fiat Homo, the writer decides that it's happening after the events of Fiat Lux because he has a dumb "never write a prequel" rule. And then people start saying that the Fiat Homo world is an integral part of the Canticle for Leibowitz setting, and the idea that future stories follow the progression set out in Fiat Lux becomes the opinion of people who are taking the setting too seriously.

I hope this comparison pleases you.

However, I am still greatly enjoying this dumb game with it's terrible story. Shooting things and looting boxes is fun. I just wish I could be shooting things and looting boxes in a not-dumb game with a not-terrible story.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 19, 2015

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Play the guitar, play it again, my Johnny
Maybe you're cold but you're so warm inside
I was always a fool for my Johnny
For the one they call Johnny Guitar
Play it again, Johnny Guitar
What if you go, what if you stay, I love you
But if you're cruel, you can be kind, I know
There was never a man like my Johnny
Like the one they call Johnny Guitar
There was never a man like my Johnny
Like the one they call Johnny Guitar
Play it again, Johnny Guitar

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm in the same boat, the only good legendaries I've got I either bought or was rewarded.

Basically this.
I had one legendary on my first character on Normal, quit him at 15ish. Second character played on Hard and then upped to Very Hard, got TONS of legendaries, probably 12-18 of them by the time I was around level 20 - I was starting to give them to NPC settlers. Restarted on V Hard and this time I'm almost level 18 and have only had 3 drop, all 3 armor, 2 lovely, and 2 of them for the same armor slot. :\

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What is wrong with that? You only know what a super mutant is because this is your 4th or 5th game with them or whatever. It's totally possible the character is killing the big green guys and not knowing what they are in any meaningful way and maybe not even knowing what they are called.
On the topic of dialogue not noticing pertinent details, I was pretty pissed off when I went out of my way to wear a suit of power armor to meet paladin danse to see how the BoS reacts to a stranger walking up in a suit of power armor, and he didn't even mention it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're only poo poo in your hands because of game balance reasons. Which is dumb as gently caress, but likely the real reason why.

Hmm, that would make a great mod. Give Synths regular laser weapons and make the institute versions only spawn at higher levels while beefing them up

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Actually if you read the terminals in Vault 101 it's implied that only specific people in Sanctuary Hills were selected to be let in and cryo-frozen. The rest of the townspeople who made it in were supposed to be separated out and "disposed of" by the vault staff once the right people were frozen.
If you didn't figure this out by the entire opening sequence (up to and including the guy who gave you a spot in the vault ineffectually arguing with the guards to let him into the vault!) then you are :downsrim: so hard it's unsalvageable.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Like, I get that some people find the whole "SUPAH MUTANT WUT DAT?" styled dialogue to be dumb because you killed 29 of them on your way out of the vault before picking up your deathclaw stomping suit, but bear in mind these games are now old enough that there are people for whom fallout 4 is their first fallout game, and they are interested in some of the lore behind it.

Just sayin most of us are basically gramps & gram at this age. Kids these days don't know we been slayin super mutants for 18 years now. :corsair:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

coyo7e posted:

On the topic of dialogue not noticing pertinent details, I was pretty pissed off when I went out of my way to wear a suit of power armor to meet paladin danse to see how the BoS reacts to a stranger walking up in a suit of power armor, and he didn't even mention it.
probably the most bizarre aspect of this is that random NPCs in various areas will react appropriately to stuff like that (see: wearing vault suits in vault 81 and them responding, being buck rear end naked in public [this gets companion likes/dislikes even]) but whenever it comes to actual dialogue there's nothing

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Like, I get that some people find the whole "SUPAH MUTANT WUT DAT?" styled dialogue to be dumb because you killed 29 of them on your way out of the vault before picking up your deathclaw stomping suit, but bear in mind these games are now old enough that there are people for whom fallout 4 is their first fallout game, and they are interested in some of the lore behind it.

Just sayin most of us are basically gramps & gram at this age. Kids these days don't know we been slayin super mutants for 18 years now. :corsair:

it's really easy to get around that by doing what new vegas did with "what do you think of _______"

Fereydun posted:

probably the most bizarre aspect of this is that random NPCs in various areas will react appropriately to stuff like that (see: wearing vault suits in vault 81 and them responding, being buck rear end naked in public [this gets companion likes/dislikes even]) but whenever it comes to actual dialogue there's nothing

actually, the hosed up thing is there IS unique dialogue for what you're wearing, its just extremely inconsistent

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011

Skeezy posted:

This is really disappointing. They made a dumb move in Fallout 3 by not having it be the quest reward for Replicated man and now they don't include it in a game about androids?

Oh well, Mods etc

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

there are better wording choices for that sort of dialogue, for example instead of saying "what is a super mutant" john fallout could have said "tell me more/what do you think about these super mutants" which makes less of an assumption about what the character knows already

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Fereydun posted:

the real answer is because they wanted cool blue lasers to fit their color scheme more
can't have some weak rear end plebian red lasers that every raider uses, even if it means they have to lower the frequency of the laser and have it do less damage

Err, blue is higher frequency light than red. This is why blu-ray pits and lands are a fraction of the size of CD tech.

I agree that the institute laser poo poo looks miles cooler than the AER9/derivatives and it sucks that it's 1/3 as powerful.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm coming up on hour 60 of my first play through and just quick traveled to the Diamond City market to sell off some lovely "special" weapons I couldn't scrap when the guard you always teleport in next to made some quip, only this time he said something like "I can't believe it's Christmas again already." And low and behold I check my Pip-Boy and it's 11:14AM on December 25th, 2287. They even salvaged some decorations and strung up lights all around the market:

Why is the Bethesda team so good at building worlds but so terrible about writing people to put in them?

Makes me wonder what other time sensitive things they put in.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
The tedium of having to manage my inventory and constantly give items to my companion and go back to base to dump items after clearing every location or two is starting to wear down on me.

I'm pretty close to just saying gently caress it and using the console to add 1,000 carry weight. I don't really want to, it feels like cheating.

I would rather use a mod that made all junk weightless but reduced carry weight so I would have to think harder about what kind of weapons and armor I can carry. I doubt there is a way to do that easily so I assume this would become a sort of Bashed Patch or script extender feature that you could apply to all mods too.

Of course I suppose I could just not pick up so much stuff but that's no fun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

it's really easy to get around that by doing what new vegas did with "what do you think of _______"

actually, the hosed up thing is there IS unique dialogue for what you're wearing, its just extremely inconsistent

How would a pre-war human on ice for 200 years know to ask that question?

Noyemi K posted:

Err, blue is higher frequency light than red. This is why blu-ray pits and lands are a fraction of the size of CD tech.

I agree that the institute laser poo poo looks miles cooler than the AER9/derivatives and it sucks that it's 1/3 as powerful.

Disagree, they look like plastic toys.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deified Data posted:

How would a pre-war human on ice for 200 years know to ask that question?
how would a pre-war human on ice for 200 years who has killed 50 super mutants and wears the underpants of one of them NOT know to ask that question

try looking at it from another perspective, language can be less binary

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Cyro Gun is pretty sweet. Like how it ices em, then when thawed their skin is just ruined. Just tried it last night versus ghouls and mutants.

Shame it cant just use Fusion cells. Same for the Plasma weapons really :(

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I can confirm that a pipe rifle with a ~50 round mag set to auto just fucks everything.

I gotta say, even without the auto option, a 50 round mag pipe rifle with something as basic as a hardened receiver and stock sights chews through most of the leveled mobs I've encountered. Its a shame the pipe guns' sight options are complete poo poo.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The gunplay in this game is so much better than before it's making real hard to play a melee-focused character after finishing the game with an Rifleman-build character :(

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Ahaha. Oh my god. The robotics expert perk is loving insane.

Don't believe me? Feast your eyes on this.

That's a loving Legendary Sentry Bot. And I own it. It's a permanent follower now. As in, fully commandable and everything.

And I have more. Many more. The last time a vertibird tried to roll up on me it was like a dozen flak cannons were going off. The thing didn't even make a full circle to bring it's gun to bear before three security bots gunned it down.

I'm thinking i'll see if I can put this one in my favorite settlement as a guard.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

how would a pre-war human on ice for 200 years who has killed 50 super mutants and wears the underpants of one of them NOT know to ask that question

try looking at it from another perspective, language can be less binary

"What's a super mutant?" is a really valid question, then

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

"What's a super mutant?" is a really valid question, then
voiced dialogue could also bring us things like: "what's a super mutant?" CHECK SUPER MUTANT KILLS >=5, PLAY " do you mean those big dumb green things that hate me?".wav

small details like that are fairly simple to put in yet so many of them are missing in these games

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Grrr I despise this game I am sinking dozens of hours into through no will other than my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

voiced dialogue could also bring us things like: "what's a super mutant?" CHECK SUPER MUTANT KILLS >=5, PLAY " do you mean those dumb green things that hate me?".wav

My *IMMERSION* is not so ruined that the extra legwork is really required. I had killed about 8 different kinds of mutated freak by that point, why should I know specifically which one they are talking about?

• Locked thread