Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They did my street last month. The cable is just sitting there next to the grey pillar but I haven't been able to sign up for it yet. They might have put it on the wrong side of the driveway as it has to either go under or over to get to the house unless there is some sort of pipe I am unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Depending on the local contractor they may be able to tunnel under the driveway if they have the gear and care enough. Also it is a case of them putting the cable in the street. And then reporting to chorus it is in and finally chorus reporting to ISPs that it is available. Each step happens in chunks so while you street might technically be ready chorus might not know until the next street is also done.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Quality stuff on the Spinoff
http://thespinoff.co.nz/19-11-2015/media-anatomy-of-a-corporate-disaster-inside-weldon-and-glucinas-gossip-site-scout/

quote:

Beyond the Hosking story, a list of the most influential New Zealanders under 25 came in for particular scrutiny, and become amongst the day’s most read. It was authored by Stephanie Lai, a then-unpaid intern (she was later put on payroll following a damning news story on the site’s search for unpaid interns in the National Business Review) who had recently featured on TV3’s show Reality Trip, and was the site’s fashion blogger.

The derision wasn’t entirely fair to Lai, who, Scout sources say, had Lorde, the obvious candidate, atop the list – until Glucina told her to alter it to place Max Key at its summit.

Still, the team remained busy throughout the day, and were grateful when the launch party arrived, meaning they could down tools and have a drink.

The Launch Party

There were very much two camps at the event. One, led by Glucina and Weldon, was celebrating the huge numbers the site had put up, so vast that it reached its monthly target within hours. They viewed the cruel jokes and incredulity at the site’s stories as sour grapes and jealousy.

The second camp, comprising most of the site’s content producers, were deeply affected by what the outside world was saying about them. Worse, by what their friends and acquaintances were saying to them. They found themselves blocked on social media, and received private messages saying that longstanding relationships couldn’t be maintained while they worked for Scout. This animosity was also felt as they worked the phones – when they called asking for an interview or quotes, they were nearly always turned down flat as soon as they revealed they worked for Scout.

As a result some were near tears at the launch party, the doomy mood of which was exacerbated by the tiny turnout: just 25 to 30 at the swish Wine Chambers on Shortland Street in downtown Auckland, a venue designed for twice that. In attendance were Glucina and her family, Scout staffers, Weldon and a bunch of salespeople. The newsroom was represented solely by Head of News Mark Jennings, a man never again sighted by Scout staff.

Two other noteworthy guests were a Scout social media operative, who had already made a kind of minor history by becoming Scout’s first official resignation – after a matter of hours – and longtime Glucina pal Judith Collins.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a good story. I am heartened by her failure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

The derision wasn’t entirely fair to Lai, who, Scout sources say, had Lorde, the obvious candidate, atop the list – until Glucina told her to alter it to place Max Key at its summit.

Hahahahaha what the gently caress, this is some glorious leader poo poo.

Next week on stuff: John Key talks about scoring eighteen holes-in-one at muriwai golf course.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's amazing how quickly she turned people against her as well.

quote:

Weldon listens intently, sitting unnervingly still, occasionally rubbing his clasped fingers together. He doesn’t flinch when she, echoing his own statement earlier, talks about how the company had been “lacking in entertainment news”. That statement particularly shocked the company’s long-serving entertainment reporters, watching at locations across the city. After eight minutes, the video ends.

While she was recruited in June, the first Scout staff weren’t appointed until August, with the bulk arriving in early September, just days before the site went live. The group really coalesced in the week leading up to the September 14th launch, writing features and columns with an air of excitement pervading their offices, atop the More FM building on Ponsonby Rd – hers with a spectacular view across the city; theirs nicknamed ‘the cupboard’ due its cramped, low-light nature.

Worse, by what their friends and acquaintances were saying to them. They found themselves blocked on social media, and received private messages saying that longstanding relationships couldn’t be maintained while they worked for Scout. This animosity was also felt as they worked the phones – when they called asking for an interview or quotes, they were nearly always turned down flat as soon as they revealed they worked for Scout.

As a result some were near tears at the launch party, the doomy mood of which was exacerbated by the tiny turnout: just 25 to 30 at the swish Wine Chambers on Shortland Street in downtown Auckland, a venue designed for twice that. In attendance were Glucina and her family, Scout staffers, Weldon and a bunch of salespeople. The newsroom was represented solely by Head of News Mark Jennings, a man never again sighted by Scout staff.

Two other noteworthy guests were a Scout social media operative, who had already made a kind of minor history by becoming Scout’s first official resignation – after a matter of hours – and longtime Glucina pal Judith Collins.

It’s a sad state of affairs for a venture which began life as a bold, brave move, one which saw a number of excited young journalists tasked with building something new. Unfortunately it was born into the heat of public anger at Campbell Live’s cancellation, making the hard task of building a brand that much more difficult.

This was compounded by the hiring decision to place Glucina at its heart. Weldon appears not to have been aware that, as Russell Brown noted ahead of the site’s launch her “columns since 2012 read increasingly like the work of someone no one would talk to any more”.

It seems Weldon underestimated the depth of animosity toward her which surged through key news and entertainment personalities, due to the stories she wrote about them and their friends during her time at the Herald. That made both her job, and that of her staff, immensely difficult.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 19, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Varkk posted:

Depending on the local contractor they may be able to tunnel under the driveway if they have the gear and care enough. Also it is a case of them putting the cable in the street. And then reporting to chorus it is in and finally chorus reporting to ISPs that it is available. Each step happens in chunks so while you street might technically be ready chorus might not know until the next street is also done.

Thanks!

Went to Sal's to try out their 2 for 1 Buffalo wings, it was like going to KFC and ordering a hamburger. The Wings were ok, but I much rather have their pizza.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Spiteski posted:

In other news, finally decided to get fibre in the new place. Had them tell us Chorus would be in 3 times over the next month to talk about plan, sign off on plan, set up outside stuff and finally wire inside.
Today, the local Chorus guy rocks up, says "yea nah we'll do it today eh" and 1hour later they've dug a trench, cut concrete, re-concreted set up and we're off laughing.

To me this is amazing because I've heard nothing but horror stories, and our old place had fibre before we moved in so no experience to draw on.

I am truly happy for you.

My experience was not so good, a contributor to a period of madness, and a friend of mine recently TLDR basically had this happen, in conjunction with the apparent decline in service as Snap has merged with 2Degrees:

X = Person
X puts in considerable effort getting appoints for scoping/install w/ Chorus, has a bit of issues with this and gets slow responses but holds on pretty calmly w/ delays knowing it will pay off
*X is admittedly one month late paying said months bill but has been good before this/not exactly a red letter account*
Chorus arrives for install at different/unannounced time than previously informed while X' isn't there, proceeds with install with X's flatmate who is like 40-50 years old there
Chorus runs into issue w/ getting connection to run, asks 2Degrees
2Degrees rep says "Account suspended due to lack of payment" (infringement of privacy act, supposed to say some generic/not personal information infringing reason...)
Chorus rep immediately tells 40-50 year old flatmate who barely understands the internet "won't currently connect, accounts suspended due to lack of payment" (another infringement...)
40-50 year old flatmate basically doesn't understand internet, whole situation injects enormous distrust into flatting situation
X comes home and has to reconstruct this whole thing, realises he forgot to pay bill, now has flatmate who think he is a dodgy person
Due to this situation injected in with some other issues, X feels truly uncomfortable going home and is moving flats

Internets is serious business man

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
New Zealand Politics: John's a wonderful guy

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/videos/10154567549334988/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

John you're having golf with president Obama, remember your special shorts!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Eh, it's a good compliment. I have to give him that

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Ill never forget Malcolm Turnbull saying the word "hackers" several time in the reclaimed innovation-progressive-lawful (definitely not cracking) sense of the word to the GovHack awards in Sydney in a pre-recorded address like a week before he became Prime Minister lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I cant wait to see how National's PR machine work this into a humble brag. Herald article tomorrow about JK receiving compliments from Obama?

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
john key's friend! :3:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Jesus

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

A lot of people think their pets are really cool.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just before I go to bed-

That spinoff article is an absolutely marvellous read. I sent the author Duncan a praising email.

- Nails the "show, don't tell" method of depicting what can be too easily dismissed as awful
- More scandalous (in a more dignified way) than the entire output of Scout

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This is it.

I'm opening the veins.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fong posted:

I cant wait to see how National's PR machine work this into a humble brag. Herald article tomorrow about JK receiving compliments from Obama?

Lol.

Obama to Turnbull: You actually talk to the New Zealanders?
Breaking 11:41 PM Thursday Nov 19, 2015

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11548171

[e] Stuff was quicker off the mark

Barack Obama: 'You actually talk to the New Zealanders?'
Last updated 22:59, November 19 2015

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/74225621/barack-obama-you-actually-talk-to-the-new-zealanders

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 19, 2015

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

In all the commotion I missed whaleoil being outed.

This is like watching a bad spy movie.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There of the top 10 articles on stuff are about Key and Obama. One of them about their "bromance"

emminou
May 25, 2006

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/290161/nz-student-mistaken-for-terrorist

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be fair, he's kind of brown.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
yes this isn't exactly what ISIS want at all

keep doing this, it's certainly not helping ostracize Muslims and other "Muslim-looking" people at all

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Islamophobia can't be racism, because Islam isn't a race

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Apparently our receptionist had a mini-rant the other day in the lunch room about the Paris attacks saying "Have you actually read the Quran? It's just an evil book. They should just deport them all." and I was disappointed that I wasn't there for it because I don't want to confront her about it because it's secondhand gossip but also I have actually read the Quran and could answer some questions for her.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
What's wrong with transistor radios?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
They could be used to play another bomb track

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Why do people still confuse Sikhs and Muslims in tyool 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My boss had to be talked out of the idea that a guy who was clearly afghani was indian.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Flag Referendum ballots should be mailed out soon.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Yeah the ballots have been sitting at my mail center all week most should be out today.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Firstscion posted:

Yeah the ballots have been sitting at my mail center all week most should be out today.

Red Peak babey !

It's the second GIS result for "New Zealand Flag" lol

The finalist there should be suspicion over is the trash black & white fern, especially given that Julia Christie & Saatchi NZ's CEO were on the panel:

quote:

The big bold branding plan came unstuck when it became known that Saatchi and Saatchi had also been awarded the National Party account for the 1999 election. The fact that Minister of Sport, Murray McCully, was also the National Party campaign strategist fuelled suspicions of fiddled funding. The Tourism New Zealand campaign went to M & C Saatchi and the 100% Pure positioning emerged. (Given that the All Blacks lost to France in the 1999 semi-final, and then to South Africa in the third-place play-off, it was probably a blessing that their brand was not extrapolated.)

Undaunted, the dogged bureaucrats dug in for the long game. The New Zealand Way programme adopted a black and white ‘Official New Zealand Fern Mark’ designed by Designworks. In 2003 it appeared on the hulls of Team New Zealand yachts defending the America’s Cup and on ‘Loyal’ flags.
http://www.designassembly.org.nz/articles/the-fit-of-peak-and-the-need-to-vote

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ivor Biggun posted:

Flag Referendum ballots should be mailed out soon.

Raithe posted:

Those are Rockit Apples (in the tubes). They're a company local to me and they print their own packaging in Havelock North. No Chinese trade conspiracy.

Fun Fact: All Rockit Packhouse staff have to wear Custom Chefs Jackets. Supplied by me. Cha-ching.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

fong posted:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Exclamation Marx posted:

Islamophobia can't be racism, because Islam isn't a race

Then you ask them why they hate Sonny Bill, and they tell you he's not a real muslim and/or it's just those foreign muzzos who are the problem.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 20, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i got my papers! i drew a big ol dick on it and sent it back.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vote for red peak. While not amazing, its the only option that actually looks like a fleg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Gonna vote red peak first ballot [1] and list out the rest so the weetbix fern is [5]. Spoil second ballot/informal vote.

Want my chance to demonstrate aesthetic taste but defer any judgment in process :c00lbutt:

• Locked thread