Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've contacted a couple places for the best new Microbrute prices. 99% sure that's the direction I'm going, the layout and sound is too good compared to everything else I've found in the price range. I'll submerge in various other synth demos for a few days until I choose where I'm buying from and then order if I haven't found something I like more. I'm excited! I'm also thinking of eventually adding a Minitaur to use with the Microbrute for obvious reasons.

I'm officially diving in the bleep bloop poverty hole aren't I?

I have a barely used Microbrute (Special Edition White color) that I'll sell you for dangerously cheap if you want! Plus I'll even through in a 7 day trial run where you can return it if you don't like it :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Swagger Dagger posted:

No, you're not getting into Modular.

Seriously. Just paid >$microbrute for an empty box. :retrogames:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I would go with minibrute over microbrute unless you have the hands of a child.
The single oscillator can be a pain but it's a great bit of kit to get started. No menu diving, just twist knobs and move sliders.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BonoMan posted:

I have a barely used Microbrute (Special Edition White color) that I'll sell you for dangerously cheap if you want! Plus I'll even through in a 7 day trial run where you can return it if you don't like it :).

Oh hey that's very nice of you! I'm still deciding but if you don't mind shoot me an email and we'll talk about it. email@poop.ham (please don't quote that so I can edit it out later)

ozmunkeh posted:

The single oscillator can be a pain but it's a great bit of kit to get started. No menu diving, just twist knobs and move sliders.

I still can't decide on if the micro keys will be an issue or not. I'm a big guy but I don't have fat fingers by any means. In my favor I do have a controlled precise touch but who knows how far that will get me.

Kinda annoyed I decided to watch videos of the bass station 2. I didn't want to like it but it started winning me over. Synths are neat. I'm glad I stopped being intimidated by the market and jumped in to educate myself.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 16, 2015

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

JamesKPolk posted:

Microbrutes are sick. Don't bother with the Volca Bass (unless down the road you realize you need a 3 oscillator mono, perhaps to run through your Microbrute's filter, which is making me think I should take mine out of the box again) (Or you have really small fingers).

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb14/articles/arturia-microbrute.htm

That review felt 'correct' to me, having used one for a year and a half or so- it compares it to the Minibrute too which might make more sense as a first synth, depending on what your goals are. The Microbrute sounds loud and noisy in a lot of very cool and unique ways but it's definitely not as flexible as the typical monosynth, which makes it a bit weird to learn stuff on. Speaking of- what are you trying to do? That's gonna determine your setup. Are you playing in a band? Looking to record yourself? Sequencers/external control/etc are much more or less important depending on what you're gonna be doing with it (but goooood luck predicting that- I never in a million years thought I'd end up with the set-up that clicked).

Just to be clear (and I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting), you absolutely do not need to spend over a thousand dollars to get digital patch memory. The Microbrute's not gonna be the best choice for accurately re-creating multiple patches during a live performance (though tbh it's simple enough that the Moog/ARP comparison isn't really that apt), but there's a biiiiiig gulf between that 1.5-3k (admittedly, great sounding) modern analog flagship synths. Especially with those Roland boutique releases floating around (or hell theres gotta be a ton of use Prophet 8s out there now).

And another piece of advice- buy used!

No, the Nova series and the Bass Station II do that and are both cheaper than $1000 dollars. But having a bunch of cheaper gear sometimes makes me want gear that is both fairly deep, and does everything it does really well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

I do, but I mainly just leave them out as a conversation starter :q:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Both the Minibrute and Microbrute are fun enough on their own but there's a ton of awesome synthesis ground that you can cover by grabbing some cables and making them get all incestuous with each other :getin:.

If that goon's Microbrute is going for anything near 'used market price' then you could eventually get both with some cables for less than the cost of a new Minibrute.

Throw in an inexpensive delay and maybe a chorus or reverb and you've got yourself a heck of a stew for not all that much money.

That said, it's sort of a watershed moment for relatively inexpensive synths and there's also a good array of stuff on the digital hardware side if you want to try different approaches to monosynths or even go in the polysynth direction. Almost everything worth buying is either a module or mini-keys or software so get ready to buy a decent keyboard controller. It's cool tho, you should really have one for your DAW anyway.

Also, this is the thread for the cheapest, most portable good synths that you can buy. Like any ML gear thread, the OP's half-obsolete so start from the last post and work backwards.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
For $1k, and assuming you already have some nice reverb, I'd be tempted to get a used slim phatty, a beat step pro and a big bag of weed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I've seen like-new Korg Arp Odysseys go for $600 OBO on Craigslist.

That was a lovely time to be broke :smith:.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Are Arturia's software synths any good? The idea of having a Minimoog, Prophet 5 and Arp 2600 just chillin' on my hard drive for a couple hundred bucks is drat tempting.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Are Arturia's software synths any good? The idea of having a Minimoog, Prophet 5 and Arp 2600 just chillin' on my hard drive for a couple hundred bucks is drat tempting.

They are perfectly fine for making music, although probably not for setting up next to the original hardware and making comparison robot farts on YouTube videos. Compared to the originals they are more stable, less 'itchy'. I can compare the Arturia Xpander to the original and it's very close, but stays in tune. The Jupiter 8 is not quite right in the way the resonance sweeps - it's at that level.
The main issue is the interfaces which are tiny on modern screens. I've got an Arturia controller that helps with that, but there will still be some controls you'll have to mouse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
AFAIK, the full bundle is worth it just because you get the whole Arturia stable including Analog Lab for the price of your four favorites.

The issue is that there's like a decade in range between some of them, so you have brand new stuff like the Solina along with the Jupiter 8V (which is apparently a perfectly decent, though somewhat old and inefficient polysynth but is not that great at actually being a clone of the Roland Jupiter 8).

Don't take my word for it, I don't own it though (yet?).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gat drat do I love Solina V.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Epic thissery. I was just messing with it yesterday.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Not to keep pimping the iPad, but the Arturia synth apps are also fantastic, and dirt cheep.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to keep pimping the iPad, but the Arturia synth apps are also fantastic, and dirt cheep.

Agreed. Don't see myself using them for tracks now that I've got the V Collection 4, but for an ipad synth they're awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Anyone happen to know how it compares with, say, digital hardware like the Waldorf Streichfett?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anyone happen to know how it compares with, say, digital hardware like the Waldorf Streichfett?

Depends what you want really. If you want a Solina for less than thousands of dollars, get an emulation of a Solina. The streichfett is a lot of fun, but sound-wise it's like throwing a half-dozen string machines in a blender; sure you can spot the individual parts but there's no way you're going to get any single one synth out of it whole. For crazy room-filling retro pad sounds it's awesome.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

So Math posted:

I would like to send the clock signal from my Beatstep Pro into my Volca Keys. I have the Beatstep clock running in one step mode, but the Volca will frequently skip steps. The same problem happens if I try using one of the drum gates instead. How can I get this working?

Answer: run the clock signal through the MS-20 ESP, patch the trigger out to the Volca. :science:

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/capitol-drive-comeback

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, the BSP's gates are like 12V or something really hot, which some Korg gear can't handle. Ran into the same problem with the SQ-1.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I use a midi cable to sync my BSP to my volca beats. It seems crazy because i have all these thinner, more elegant, glow-in-the-dark cables. But it works! The volca responds to play/stop too.

I really wish the BSP could change sequence on sequence end or something. It is an extremely satisfying piece of hardware to use, but still leaves me wanting a cirklon or anything a bit more serious. Is there a alternative firmware that actually is intuitive and works better?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
No idea. Question: if you're using the play/stop messages from the BSP, then I assume you're using the Beats' internal sequencer. Do you have to leave a sequencer empty on the BSP? Does it transmit MIDI clock over all channels?

Must investigate. It does! My entire life is changed! :doh:

So Math fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 17, 2015

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

utamaru posted:

I use a midi cable to sync my BSP to my volca beats. It seems crazy because i have all these thinner, more elegant, glow-in-the-dark cables. But it works! The volca responds to play/stop too.

I really wish the BSP could change sequence on sequence end or something. It is an extremely satisfying piece of hardware to use, but still leaves me wanting a cirklon or anything a bit more serious. Is there a alternative firmware that actually is intuitive and works better?

The new electribes can change pattern on pattern end if you turn the value knob. It can do it on pressing shift+play after selecting a new pattern if you're too impatient to wait 3 bars or whatever. It can also sequence up to 4 notes on 16 channels on external gear. Using internal sounds it nominally has 24 voices but usually works out to less because dual oscillators, filters and insert effects eat up dsp/voices. Far from perfect, but great for $400. Plus, some people are being pissy and selling theirs so maybe you can get one for $350.

Not exactly BSP firmware but an option between that and high end stuff.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Thought you guys would want to see the first real video of the final Malekko/Roland System 500m stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCBXBItjDA

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Does anyone have any experience with the Mininova? I've been putting serious thought into either the Mininova or the Microbrute, and have messed around with floor models quite a bit, and I really like both of them. The Mininova's 37 keys are very appealing since I have a Triton Taktile 25 at the moment and I hate having to use the octave shift buttons, but having all of my editing options right in front of me on the Microbrute is closer to what I'm looking for. The Mininova's knob function switch feels like it would take some getting used to.

Are there any features or issues that totally make or break it for you? I'm kind of leaning toward the Microbrute at the moment because of the price, but I could get a used Mininova for $300, so it isn't like there's a huge jump in cost (if that's even a reasonable price for the Mininova to begin with).

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have experienced a sudden windfall of iPad, anything else that I need to get?

Also the Electribe continues to be interesting; I keep finding new ways to coax just a little bit of extra sauce out of it every time I sit down and mess around.

snorch fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 19, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

snorch posted:

Also the Electribe continues to be interesting; I keep finding new ways to coax just a little bit of extra sauce out of it every time I sit down and mess around.

On the Scala support microtonal kick, Sunrizer, Z3ta+ and Thumbjam

The Casio CZ-1 app is pretty boss, as is FM4 and iVCS3

For weird noises, Sounscraper (circuit bent sampler simulator), Virtual ANS (emulation of that ancient Russian light synth), Synth76477 (emulation of old sound chip found in '70s-early '80s arcade games, can make all the sound effects for Super Friends), TNR-i (Tenori-on app), BitWiz (bit wise synth programming environment), Aeolian Harp (pretty pretty harp thingy), Orphion (novel control surface/synth), Bebot (synth robot).

Best sequencer is Cubasis, Genome is also competent. TouchOSC for designing midi controllers.

Have you tried Gadget, my nigga?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Astro Creep posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Mininova? I've been putting serious thought into either the Mininova or the Microbrute,

MiniNova has 18 voices, each with three oscillators that can self synch, can 'supersaw' with any waveform including the 60 odd wavetables. There's two filters that can be arranged in many different combinations, 20 patching paths, 6 envelope generators, 3 LFOs with complex wave shapes and an extensive effects section. And there's programmable performance controls as well as integration with a VST controller.

Or you could get a microbrute.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I got one of the Pocket Operators (Factory) and it's fun but not as serious as a Volca unsurprisingly. Lots of fun for ~$60 though so if you've got the spare cash and were interested I'd say go for it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

net work error posted:

I got one of the Pocket Operators (Factory) and it's fun but not as serious as a Volca unsurprisingly. Lots of fun for ~$60 though so if you've got the spare cash and were interested I'd say go for it.

I have all three and they are fun as hell. Although the learning curve is kinda funnily steep. Well steep in that the buttons are confusing enough that if you stop using it for a few weeks you have to re-read the manuals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Astro Creep posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Mininova? I've been putting serious thought into either the Mininova or the Microbrute, and have messed around with floor models quite a bit, and I really like both of them. The Mininova's 37 keys are very appealing since I have a Triton Taktile 25 at the moment and I hate having to use the octave shift buttons, but having all of my editing options right in front of me on the Microbrute is closer to what I'm looking for. The Mininova's knob function switch feels like it would take some getting used to.

Are there any features or issues that totally make or break it for you? I'm kind of leaning toward the Microbrute at the moment because of the price, but I could get a used Mininova for $300, so it isn't like there's a huge jump in cost (if that's even a reasonable price for the Mininova to begin with).
I have a Mininova now which I got after selling my Microbrute. It definitely gives me more options than the Microbrute felt like it did. The vocoder's real cool too. If you're looking for more of an analog sound, obviously go with the Microbrute. But for me, the Mininova was more worth it because I feel like I can get a wider range of sounds out of it from real low bass to pretty pads.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

snorch posted:

Have you been to this thread yet?

Aside from what's been mentioned, I also really like: Patterning, Thor, iMS-20 (If you don't already have your own flavor), Cassini, Tera, Samplr (get this one).

Any of the [relatively] expensive stuff from Korg (iM1, iMS-20, Gadget), Moog (Animoog), Arturia, or known VST makers is by and large great, powerful software but there are also tons of <$5 apps and indie widgets out there that do cool poo poo.

Definitely scour the Internet (I recommend googling by year, i.e. "Best iPad music apps 2015" or "best iPad synths 2014") and keep an eye out for dates like Black Friday, when companies like to have promo sales.

Also, most keyboard controllers with USB midi work with iOS but you may/may not need a camera adaptor depending. Conversely, if you feel inclined to use your iPad as a surprisingly deep Ableton interface: cndctr and touchAble are both good, albeit quite different.

Also, iMaschine 2 just came out and it's surprisingly useful. Moreso if you use the desktop Maschine since you can import/export projects.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
All Korg's poo poo was half off for Black Friday last year, and I'm pretty sure they'll do it again. They like sales.

And Gadget is fantastic -- pick it up for sure.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, most keyboard controllers with USB midi work with iOS but you may/may not need a camera adaptor depending.

If you're not sure whether your keyboard controller will work with an iPad, the term you should look for in the manual or documentation is whether it's a "class compliant" device.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sizone posted:

On the Scala support microtonal kick, Sunrizer, Z3ta+ and Thumbjam
Is this also true of the Sunrizer VST/AU plugin? I assume so, since it mentions it has "full compatability" with the iPad version, but can't find any specific mention of Scala support...

If so, strongly considering picking that up at least as a plugin...

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

0dB posted:

MiniNova has 18 voices, each with three oscillators that can self synch, can 'supersaw' with any waveform including the 60 odd wavetables. There's two filters that can be arranged in many different combinations, 20 patching paths, 6 envelope generators, 3 LFOs with complex wave shapes and an extensive effects section. And there's programmable performance controls as well as integration with a VST controller.

Or you could get a microbrute.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have a Mininova now which I got after selling my Microbrute. It definitely gives me more options than the Microbrute felt like it did. The vocoder's real cool too. If you're looking for more of an analog sound, obviously go with the Microbrute. But for me, the Mininova was more worth it because I feel like I can get a wider range of sounds out of it from real low bass to pretty pads.

Yeah, I I'm gonna go with the Mininova, then :v: Thinking it over a bit more, I really like the relative simplicity of the Microbrute, but obviously that can be a huge downside to it, too. It sounds awesome, but that's kinda it. Kinda want to do as much as I can with as few devices as possible at this point in time. Thanks for the input!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
But is it better to get the MiniNova or the MoroderNova?

There's a $50 difference between them new.

Edit: novation made 30 of the 50 Moroder patches available as a download for the standard model. No clue if that includes the most desirable ones or if those stayed exclusive.

Since the MoroderNova apparently swaps 50 of the original's presets for its Signature ones, I'd say this makes the original the one to get, if you're ok with the patches you aren't getting/care about factory patches. Comes with its own gig bag now too, right?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 20, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

minidracula posted:

Is this also true of the Sunrizer VST/AU plugin? I assume so, since it mentions it has "full compatability" with the iPad version, but can't find any specific mention of Scala support...

If so, strongly considering picking that up at least as a plugin...

No idea. I'd recommend sending the guy who coded it an email.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But is it better to get the MiniNova or the MoroderNova?

1. You're going to delete all the presets. You are aren't you?
2. Novation stuff is blue or it's just plain wrong. WRONG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

0dB posted:

1. You're going to delete all the presets. You are aren't you?
2. Novation stuff is blue or it's just plain wrong. WRONG.

http://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8

1. Musician =/= Sound Designer. Guitar players choose specific pickups and prebuilt amps and effects boxes in order to get the tones they want all the time. Most of the time, people don't engineer their own hardware in order to be creative and if a factory patch works for you right now, not using it for the sake of burning the boats seems like a good way to lose the flow of songwriting. Not that I'm against rolling your own, mind you- or that I'm not learning how. It's a difference in approach and I see value in both, honestly.

2. Hate to break it to you but, like, 95% of the stuff Novation make now is black, and has been for a number of years.