Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lassitude posted:

They spent millions of dollars and had a shitload of people working this operation, too. Reading about the ordeals in convincing those two idiots to stop getting high and boning and to finally go about procuring materials for a bomb is hilarious. You can feel the frustration at having worked so long/spent so much money on trying to nab two people who very obviously weren't terrorists and were no threat to anyone.

My favourite parts were when they planned on bombing a rail line that turned out hadn't been used for 40 years, and then when they wanted to bring their cat to the legislature bombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey, it's 2015 and we're still forcibly sterilizing Indigenous women. Go Canada!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Jesus I thought BC's liquor reforms were bad. They're nothing on the crazy stuff Ontario dreams up.

Hey opposition political parties, here's a free idea for your next campaign. Propose completely trashing the status quo of liquor management in favour of a dramatically more relaxed system like in almost every other part of the western world. I guarantee this populist promise will have strong appeal.

I wonder now of it's not baked in. Let's say they liberalize the system further in four years time. What's to stop these retailers who bought special privilege suing the Ontario government for breach of contract or unlawful seizure of assets or something similar?

Just like the lease of Chicago's parking meters (or the sale of Hydro One, ahem) this is a policy decision people are going to have to live with for quite a long time before being able to do anything about it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Arivia posted:

Hey, it's 2015 and we're still forcibly sterilizing Indigenous women. Go Canada!

Holy poo poo, this loving country. Fire EVERYONE.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is we don't sterilize everyone who just gave birth to (or fathered) their 7th child.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Arivia posted:

You mean 2010, and Saskatoon has drastically reduced the amount of times the procedure is performed on anyone since then.

But yeah, sounds like a pretty bad culture if they're implying women will be negligent.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

EvilJoven posted:

I'm still waiting for the Libs to start Libbing but so far I'm having to work really hard to keep myself from becoming more than cautiously optimistic.

It's a perfectly sensible policy but not one that limits them from spending as much on p3s as they like. They can expect more gratitude now when they do dole out p3 patronage, since it's not mandatory.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kafka Esq. posted:

You mean 2010, and Saskatoon has drastically reduced the amount of times the procedure is performed on anyone since then.

But yeah, sounds like a pretty bad culture if they're implying women will be negligent.

If a woman lacks sufficient capacity to give birth ever again, then she lacks sufficient capacity to consent to a medical procedure and can't consent to sterilization.

I realized while typing this that my argument works in reverse, and that the PG&T has definitely consented on behalf of sane people to sterilization.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Kafka Esq. posted:

Reduced it to 25% of the number of procedures they were performing before, that makes for 74 unnecessary surgeries a year prior to someone raising a stink.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/saskatoon-health-region-apologizes-after-aboriginal-women-felt-pressured-by-staff-to-have-tubes-tied posted:

Pelletier, now 39, had just given birth to her seventh child when the hospital social worker came to her room and asked her to sign a consent form to have the procedure.

She refused.

Her mother was raising her six older children in another community. Pelletier, who was and is a recovering addict in the methadone program and committed to a healthy life, was determined to raise her daughter herself.

She didn’t want the new baby to be raised as an only child, so she declined repeated requests by the social worker, and then by the nurse, too.

I'm inclined to think the hospital staff was doing what they thought was overwhelmingly best for the woman, child and future children rather than secretly embarking on an aboriginal eugenics campaign but hey, gently caress doctors.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Ikantski posted:

I'm inclined to think the hospital staff was doing what they thought was overwhelmingly best for the woman, child and future children rather than secretly embarking on an aboriginal eugenics campaign but hey, gently caress doctors.

You could say the same about residential schools.

And for god's sake, don't read the comments.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Robert Paulson posted:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mental-health-questioned-after-man-tries-to-smuggle-meat-cleaver-into-parliament-1.2664302

“The best information I have right now is that it’s just a sort of mental health, bad judgment, crazy behaviour issue,” he added.

That's some great messaging there, Bob. Shame on that guy for having the bad judgment to act "crazy", am I right?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Ikantski posted:

Um, sure, but they still need the woman's own consent, regardless of anything else. And they probably shouldn't be repeatedly prodding her for it when she's expressed that she doesn't want to do it. So hey, gently caress those doctors.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
There was another aboriginal woman in that news piece on radio one that doesn't seem to have gotten into the print version. Another woman had her 9th kid and was also pressured by hospital staff, but her doctor intervened preventing sterilization. That woman had no issues with drug use or had children in foster care.

Preying on these women immediately postpartum is a horrible practice.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

There was another aboriginal woman in that news piece on radio one that doesn't seem to have gotten into the print version. Another woman had her 9th kid and was also pressured by hospital staff, but her doctor intervened preventing sterilization. That woman had no issues with drug use or had children in foster care.

Preying on these women immediately postpartum is a horrible practice.

Preying is a pretty strong word. There are lots of valid medical reasons for the doctors to strongly suggest they stop having kids especially when paired with age and lifestyle choices. I agree that it's inappropriate to push it immediately post partum and I'm glad to see the hospital has discontinued doing that. I'd like to hear the other half of the story.

quote:

Women achieve what is called grand multiparity when they give birth at least five times, and, for these women, additional pregnancies bring special risks.

Doctors worry most that these women will hemorrhage after delivery, and doctors won't be able to get the uterus to contract to stop the bleeding, said Dr. Lois Brustman, an associate professor of clinical obstetrics and gynecology at Columbia University.

A woman's uterus, the organ within which the fetus develops, is a muscle, and each successive pregnancy stretches that muscle. As a result, after a woman has had many pregnancies, the muscle has a hard time contracting after the placenta — the organ that connects the fetus to the mother's blood supply — separates, Brustman said. This creates a risk of massive bleeding. Because the uterus has been weakened by successive pregnancies, drugs to cause this contraction are typically less successful, she said.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 19, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Preying is a pretty strong word. There are lots of valid medical reasons for the doctors to strongly suggest they stop having kids especially when paired with age and lifestyle choices. I agree that it's inappropriate to push it immediately post partum and I'm glad to see the hospital has discontinued doing that. I'd like to hear the other half of the story.

It was on either The Current, The Story from Here, or The World at Six I can't recall. I think it was lunchtime so The Story from Here from yesterday is the likely source.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

But seriously folks, the right answer still kinda sucks here. If you accept that a competent person's body is inviolate, then their right to become pregnant and have as many kids as they can is absolute and how much responsibility the state ends up having to take for them isn't allowed to be relevant. It's lovely that a small number of people is generating a large number of people for children's care agencies to take care of, but it's vastly preferable to the alternative.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 19, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah the first half of the story is "don't perform invasive and unnecessary medical procedures on people without their consent" and the second half of the story is "holy poo poo people, don't perform invasive and unnecessary medical procedures on people without their consent".

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

But seriously folks, there's no right answer here. If you accept that a competent person's body is inviolate, then their right to become pregnant and have as many kids as they can is absolute and how much responsibility the state ends up having to take for them isn't allowed to be relevant. It's lovely that there is a small number people who generate a large number of people for children's care agencies to take care of, but it's vastly preferable to the alternative.

[derail] Insular fundamentalist Christian's :argh:

OTOH our birthrate is low to begin with.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

cowofwar posted:

If one brewery leaves another five will take its place. Canada is experiencing massive growth in breweries and wineries. There is no loss. These wankers always blame poo poo like taxes when they fold but it's generally because they are incompetent or make a lovely product. A true conservative should applaud the failing of a lovely business - efficiency and all that.

This is correct. For about four years I was national beer columnist for sun media, and one of the things affecting this development is a legislative change in Alberta from about three years ago I wrote about extensively at the time. For some reason breweries in Alberta were ascribed a minimum production level of 10,000 hectolitres a year. This meant that in order to brew at all you had to have the capability to produce 10,000 hl a year. A huge volume by small brewery standards and one which meant there hadn't been a new brewery in Alberta for years. BC had boomed and is up to something like 120. Ontario is up tho about 200 (I'm currently writing their first beer guide since 1993). Alberta had added 2: yellowhead and village.

Basically, they repealed the 10000 hl law at a time when Ontario and BC were flooding the Alberta market. There's also the looming spectre of interprovincial sales barriers falling. Couple those things with a new brewing school in red deer and a labour glut for young brewers who now have the ability to start their own companies, and this protectionist measure is practically necessary to ensure Alberta startups don't get bounced out of the market. I wonder what's going to happen to overall production volume in Ontario as a result. Expect to see a lot of craft beer advertising as the larger players like steam whistle and muskoka attempt to soak that volume into the rest of Canada.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've noticed a ton of new breweries east of Toronto but 200 in Ontario alone? Holy crap that's a lot of craft breweries. I wonder how many the ~market~ can really support.

Was the big boom after 2007-2008? Because I don't really remember many before I moved to Quebec, but when I came back there seemed to be tons.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004

Dreylad posted:

I've noticed a ton of new breweries east of Toronto but 200 in Ontario alone? Holy crap that's a lot of craft breweries. I wonder how many the ~market~ can really support.

Was the big boom after 2007-2008? Because I don't really remember many before I moved to Quebec, but when I came back there seemed to be tons.

Yeah. Until 2007 there were something like 40 in Ontario. The boom is really the last three years. 50 in 2014, probably 60 this
year. I keep trying to finalize the manuscript and some weeks there are three new ones. I'm currently on a train to Stratford to look at two.

The market is weird. Volume keeps shrinking overall, but it's the macros that lose share. Ontario did the grocery store sales thing and may actually have been the first north American jurisdiction to effectively create legal protection for craft brewers in the language of the new grocery store framework. It's going to keep going for at least a few years.

Quality will get better too, which is a pet project of mine.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0U8PgOkSY&t=90s

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

I wonder now of it's not baked in. Let's say they liberalize the system further in four years time. What's to stop these retailers who bought special privilege suing the Ontario government for breach of contract or unlawful seizure of assets or something similar?

Just like the lease of Chicago's parking meters (or the sale of Hydro One, ahem) this is a policy decision people are going to have to live with for quite a long time before being able to do anything about it.

Something like this has to be the explanation for hoops set up by the BC government that have resulted in no real change to the status quo.

The BC government said that we'd have wine in super markets, but in the months since the policy was finally unveiled only a single grocery store in Metro Vancouver has a wine section. The best explanation I can find after some googling is that the BC government simply hasn't made new licenses available. I'm assuming this was done in the hope that big pocketed grocery stores would buy licenses given out earlier to private liquor stores, and thus avoiding the potential problem you mention.

As an aside the only wine that can be sold in grocery stores is BC wine and this has apparently caused a NAFTA complaint but I haven't heard too much about that recently.

The entire BC liquor reform thing has been a huge disaster. The Minister in charge is Susanne Anton, so I guess Vancouver dodged a bullet by not electing her Mayor when she ran a while back.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

A lot of the recent boom, especially in BC, is smaller breweries serving smaller neighbourhoods or towns. These business plans usually entail a significant (50%+) amount of production to be sold directly at the brewery, through a combination of an on-site bar, and retail sales. Throw in a steady supply of kegs to existing neighbourhood pubs, and a small amount to craft beer centric pubs farther away to get the name out there, and you have a perfectly successful business, but nothing that's going to make much of a dent in the Canadian beer market.

I think breweries trying to become province-wide (or nation-wide) are going to hit a wall sooner or later (if not already, see the complete flops that have been the big Ontario breweries trying to enter the BC market), but there's no reason for small ~3000hL/yr producers to stop opening up any time soon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ottawa is quickly reaching saturation tho. I can think of way too many off the top of my head.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Something like this has to be the explanation for hoops set up by the BC government that have resulted in no real change to the status quo.

The BC government said that we'd have wine in super markets, but in the months since the policy was finally unveiled only a single grocery store in Metro Vancouver has a wine section. The best explanation I can find after some googling is that the BC government simply hasn't made new licenses available. I'm assuming this was done in the hope that big pocketed grocery stores would buy licenses given out earlier to private liquor stores, and thus avoiding the potential problem you mention.

As an aside the only wine that can be sold in grocery stores is BC wine and this has apparently caused a NAFTA complaint but I haven't heard too much about that recently.

The entire BC liquor reform thing has been a huge disaster. The Minister in charge is Susanne Anton, so I guess Vancouver dodged a bullet by not electing her Mayor when she ran a while back.

Nothing has opened in Vancouver because of there being no new licenses issued, as you guessed, but also because of a geographical restriction. Even if you can buy a license off someone, you can't move it to a location within however many km of an existing license. Someone did the work and discovered that there were something like only 2 stores in Vancouver that would actually be able to sell booze.

In my opinion, what's in this for the grocery stores (and they're absolutely the people driving this) is that they stand to make a lot of money by integrating the liquor stores that sit right beside them in the suburban "town centres". Right now they don't have any licenses to buy, but last April the government conveniently changed the wholesale system in a manner that will likely put existing liquor stores out of business, freeing up licenses. Convenient!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Going by saints gambit numbers BC has nearly twice the brewery density that Ontario has and I'd say there's still room in the market for more.

I think the room for growth is in more what Kreez is getting at though, which is small neighbourhood places that are defacto neighbourhood bars. Even in Vancouver neighbourhoods where there are multiple local breweries within blocks of one another I think you could still add more. The current places are at capacity and have lineups and doormen at this point. Part of this I think is due to limits on their size.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Manitoba has 3 breweries producing beer that I know of right now Farmery, Fort Garry and Half Pints. Farmery doesn't really count as they contract the actual brewing to a place in Ontario and keep talking up an estate brewery that still hasn't been built. It's not like there's a shortage of stuff to make beer in Manitoba so I chalk that up to our dumb archaic liqour laws that need a serious re-write.

EDIT: I guess Lake of the Woods is kind of a Manitoba beer as well as Kenora is pretty much part of Manitoba

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ottawa is quickly reaching saturation tho. I can think of way too many off the top of my head.

Right, but how many non-chain restaurants can you think of? (I know it's not a perfect analogy)

I think a lot of people are thinking that the transition from having knowledge of every craft brewery in the province to not even being able to name all the breweries in the city means there is "too many".

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004

Kreez posted:

A lot of the recent boom, especially in BC, is smaller breweries serving smaller neighbourhoods or towns. These business plans usually entail a significant (50%+) amount of production to be sold directly at the brewery, through a combination of an on-site bar, and retail sales. Throw in a steady supply of kegs to existing neighbourhood pubs, and a small amount to craft beer centric pubs farther away to get the name out there, and you have a perfectly successful business, but nothing that's going to make much of a dent in the Canadian beer market.

I think breweries trying to become province-wide (or nation-wide) are going to hit a wall sooner or later (if not already, see the complete flops that have been the big Ontario breweries trying to enter the BC market), but there's no reason for small ~3000hL/yr producers to stop opening up any time soon.

From a tax base/political standpoint those local breweries are a gold mine in terms of economic development. Drives a lot of tourism and a lot of upstream and downstream employment since they're naturally incredibly inefficient.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

saints gambit posted:

From a tax base/political standpoint those local breweries are a gold mine in terms of economic development. Drives a lot of tourism and a lot of upstream and downstream employment since they're naturally incredibly inefficient.

I made a post on this a few months ago. Even just the increase in employment is huge.

The (soon to be gone/relocated) Molson plant in Vancouver was able to spit out 2,200,000hL with 180 full-time positions at its peak. 12,000hL per person. Your average 3,000hL successful community brewery probably employs 3 or 4 people full time on production, a couple more part time to help on the packaging line, and 2 or 3 full time sales people. Say 7 full time positions? 420hL per person? Not even the same order of magnitude.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

haha keep it classy cons, keep it classy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

saints gambit posted:

Quality will get better too, which is a pet project of mine.

Quality of ingredients, product, or both?

In my pet product I've been trying to get some local farmers I know to consider growing hops/barley/etc with the growth of the craft beer industry in Durham, but it's still not as lucrative year-to-year as cash crops like soy and corn.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dreylad posted:

The provincial changes have combined with a general market boom, too. Just across the border here in NY, there's around 30 craft breweries in Buffalo (in the last five years/opening within the next year), and even smaller towns like Rochester and Syracuse are hosting 10-15. And that's not counting the small-scale stuff like bars/restaurants that brew their own for internal use. It's A Thing. 200 in Ontario's actually probably under the saturation point.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Now with bonus Media being poo poo!

More details here

Suprised it wasn't postmedia this time.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:kimchi:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bunnyofdoom posted:

Now with bonus Media being poo poo!

More details here

Suprised it wasn't postmedia this time.

Them trying to get out of this is pretty funny.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Ottawa and area have about 30 or so.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:psyduck:

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here, given how out of context that comment is, but I really just can't figure out what else could have been trying to say. People in the comments are saying "horde", but that doesn't really describe the NDP presence in Saskatchewan so...