Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Radioactive Toy posted:

Yeah the flimsy card stock in Mage Knight probably burns up in seconds.

It had a chance to defend itself but it couldn't remember whether "fire block" meant block a fire attack or block an attack with fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I noticed there are Vassal modules for the COIN games. They look like they're actually well-made. Anyone had a chance to try these out?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Pro tip: Unless you like card games with pictures of women with huge boobs, don't bother with Epic. Fortunately I saw the pictures before I opened the box and it's going back to Amazon. What's a little odd is that Amazon is not charging me return shipping, which suggests that they know this game has that problem. So stupid, I hope their puerile choices cost them a bunch of sales.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

medchem posted:

I noticed there are Vassal modules for the COIN games. They look like they're actually well-made. Anyone had a chance to try these out?

I have used Joel Toppen's module for Navajo Wars(his personal game) and it's a well done module so I will assume the ones he's done for COIN are pretty good as well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

medchem posted:

They are pretty drat polished and have useful automation that cuts out a lot of the annoying crap, like automatically updating the tracker when a location changes control or opposition/support.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lorini posted:

Pro tip: Unless you like card games with pictures of women with huge boobs, don't bother with Epic. Fortunately I saw the pictures before I opened the box and it's going back to Amazon. What's a little odd is that Amazon is not charging me return shipping, which suggests that they know this game has that problem. So stupid, I hope their puerile choices cost them a bunch of sales.

You're not missing out on anything, I promise. My friends made me slog through 2 hours of it and it's just terrible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new Warhammer card game FFG just put out? It looks like it might be a good low-footprint dungeon crawler.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new Warhammer card game FFG just put out? It looks like it might be a good low-footprint dungeon crawler.

I'm actually interested as well, from what I read it sounds like the LotR LCG but minus having to build decks outside of the game.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't out yet, right? I've been keeping an eye on it. The only thing that worries me is that it's not an LCG so longevity might be a bit short if there aren't enough quests and enough variety in the box. If it doesn't sell well they might not come out with expansions.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ya, Dominion is great when people start wrapping their heads around the fact that the game is designed to last ~18 turns (+3-5 if there is heavy attacking).

I haven't got a ton of time to work with Adventures (no PC client :saddowns: ), but for the rest, I just permanently removed the worst cards from draft:
Black Market
Knights
Tournament

and then separated off a few of the more egregious things into a "not for newbies" list:
Swindler
Sea Hag
Mountebank
Masquerade
Ambassador
Ghost Ship
Cultist
Governor

I also generally let people pick their starting hand (otherwise, with non-mirrored hands, things can get real dumb, especially with Baker) and I use average kingdom cost to determine whether to use Colonies/Plat, not %age of Prosperity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't out yet, right? I've been keeping an eye on it. The only thing that worries me is that it's not an LCG so longevity might be a bit short if there aren't enough quests and enough variety in the box.

I think they were demoing at GenCon. I imagine if it gets enough sales, they'll make a billion expansions for it. See also: Arkham/Eldritch Horror. Unfortunately, the Warhammer properties don't seem to be selling well enough for them to churn out expansions. RIP Diskwars.

Lorini posted:

So stupid, I hope their puerile choices cost them a bunch of sales.

You know that deep in your heart that this won't be true. Hell, make your exact post on BGG and see/weep at the responses you get. Also, I think there are a few conditions where Amazon will charge you return shipping, like if you were just unsatisfied with the item but it otherwise functioned properly.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Diskwars will live forever in my heart.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

You know that deep in your heart that this won't be true. Hell, make your exact post on BGG and see/weep at the responses you get. Also, I think there are a few conditions where Amazon will charge you return shipping, like if you were just unsatisfied with the item but it otherwise functioned properly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that big boobs will have a net positive effect on sales.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

The theme is really well endowed

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't out yet, right? I've been keeping an eye on it. The only thing that worries me is that it's not an LCG so longevity might be a bit short if there aren't enough quests and enough variety in the box. If it doesn't sell well they might not come out with expansions.

I wasn't sure if it was or not; I saw it was shipping on FFG's website so I figured I'd ask.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rutibex posted:

Those cards might be complex compared to the rest of Race for the Galaxy, but they are nowhere near as screwy as cards get from games that use primarily text. For example:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

*FWEEEEEEEEE!*

Foul! Joke set used as evidence! Offense is issued a 3 credibility penalty!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Toshimo posted:

Ya, Dominion is great when people start wrapping their heads around the fact that the game is designed to last ~18 turns (+3-5 if there is heavy attacking).

I haven't got a ton of time to work with Adventures (no PC client :saddowns: ), but for the rest, I just permanently removed the worst cards from draft:
Black Market
Knights
Tournament

and then separated off a few of the more egregious things into a "not for newbies" list:
Swindler
Sea Hag
Mountebank
Masquerade
Ambassador
Ghost Ship
Cultist
Governor

I also generally let people pick their starting hand (otherwise, with non-mirrored hands, things can get real dumb, especially with Baker) and I use average kingdom cost to determine whether to use Colonies/Plat, not %age of Prosperity.
Last I checked pure big money has enough provinces/colonies to guarantee winning in around 14 turnns, not 18.

Black market would be a great card if not for the black market deck part. Just 'get an extra non-buy-phase buy phase' is a really interesting mechanic.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rutibex posted:

One would hope that the hobby has matured to the point that many people would not be comfortable playing a game with the card pics as they are. This is the thread that let me know there was a problem, and as you can see there are many people who are as dismayed as I was. As more women and women supporters enter the hobby, I think this kind of thing is going to become extinct. It's nearly extinct now, no mainstream board game publisher would release a game with pics like these.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Lorini posted:

One would hope that the hobby has matured to the point that many people would not be comfortable playing a game with the card pics as they are. This is the thread that let me know there was a problem, and as you can see there are many people who are as dismayed as I was. As more women and women supporters enter the hobby, I think this kind of thing is going to become extinct. It's nearly extinct now, no mainstream board game publisher would release a game with pics like these.

Alessandro Maggi from that thread posted:

This is precisely the kind of "show-y" artwork that I like: bold characters that are not unrealistic and that exhibit confidence and "badassness".
Are they "intimidating" you? Good, the character design succeeded!

I seriously don't understand what's going on in the boardgame world when it comes to the context of "sexuality", people seem to be increasingly more "touchy" about any graphical element connected to the female body without any account of what is being depicted as a whole.

I also don't understand the problem from the women's perspective: the biggest issue for me, by far, is the sexualisation process that depicts female characters as "objects" devoid of their importance, character and distinctive attributes.
Traditional fantasy artwork has done this a lot, putting hyper muscular barbarian males fighting dragons with an essentially naked girl in the background shouting in fear: that's the kind of representation that I don't like, that is degrading the female character to the role of a worthless victim who needs rescuing and whose only trait is beauty.

The criticism "is not accurate" is also hilarious for me (this popped out, for instance, on the KS comments about the Forcemage Apprentice), especially in the context of fantasy/sci-fi.
Would I be disappointed if these characters were more dressed? Nope, I'm disappointed that this is apparently such a big deal for a lot of people, yet I don't see any queues in front of TV stations to protest about the downright deprecating use of naked gals to promote products.

ahahahahahaha

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That's one person's opinion that I don't find representative of the hobby.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Me either, I just find it hillarious.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That's a hella cherrypicked sample. There's definitely a side in that thread being standard goons, but there's a sizable contingent of people also attacking the artwork in those cards. It's much more even than you're making it out to be. Part of the problem with fighting this kinda poo poo in hobbies is that most people assume that the most vocal side is dominant or holds the majority opinion. In reality, these dudes are not necessarily representative of what most people think. In fact, the further you go into that thread, the more upvoted the feminist side of the argument is.

edit: Oh, you're not arguing that that's representative. That's cool. It is a particularly hilarious defense of boob cards considering how many dumbass things in crams into a few paragraphs.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

thespaceinvader posted:

Last I checked pure big money has enough provinces/colonies to guarantee winning in around 14 turnns, not 18.

Pure big money gets four provinces in 17 turns. Big money + Smithy gets four provinces in 14 turns.

Toshimo posted:

especially with Baker

I thought the starting splits were more balanced with Baker, not less? Baker gives everyone access to 5/3, which is usually the best unless something like Chapel is around.

Then again, I don't like pick-your-split in general.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sadly, "games need boobs" isn't an idea that's in danger of dying out that quickly. There are still a bunch of kickstarters out there that offer minis of scantily-clad women as stretch goals or whatever because there's still a large amount of gamers who don't seem to realize that it's 2015 and that you can just type "naked women" into Google and see as many as you want whenever you want.

Hell, this is from a project that's running as we speak:

Although this is probably a better topic for the Industry thread.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I thought the starting splits were more balanced with Baker, not less? Baker gives everyone access to 5/3, which is usually the best unless something like Chapel is around.

Then again, I don't like pick-your-split in general.

There are plenty of powerful 6/2 and 4/4 splits. Baker causes at least as many problems as it solves (and is generally not a great pickup in-game).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sadly, "games need boobs" isn't an idea that's in danger of dying out that quickly. There are still a bunch of kickstarters out there that offer minis of scantily-clad women as stretch goals or whatever because there's still a large amount of gamers who don't seem to realize that it's 2015 and that you can just type "naked women" into Google and see as many as you want whenever you want.

Hell, this is from a project that's running as we speak:

Although this is probably a better topic for the Industry thread.

Let me know when they actually get funded....most of that kind of stuff is just junk now.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Not related to skeeve, does anyone have a link to the kemet player aide, the one that can be printed on a double sided piece of paper like the one in the box.
I got kemet, and am gonna play it on Saturday. :3:

vvv I took a look and here it is!

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lorini posted:

Let me know when they actually get funded....most of that kind of stuff is just junk now.

They're at 550% funded with 19 days to go.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There should be something you can use in the Files section of the BGG page for Kemet - that's where I got my player printouts.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

"It's like 'FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN-FUN-FUN-FUN, FUN!" - Tom Vasel

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

thespaceinvader posted:

Black market would be a great card if not for the black market deck part. Just 'get an extra non-buy-phase buy phase' is a really interesting mechanic.

Do you dislike the mechanic of having certain players randomly get access to 1 card, or do you dislike making/breaking down the black market deck? Because I think using the Blue Backs as the Black Market deck is a great solution to the latter, and the fact that you can see the blue back is just a bonus/downside (you knowing when it's about to come up in your deck/your opponents potentially knowing what you are holding) that adds extra flare.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mostly the latter, since I've never played with it in person. There are major balance issues with it when it allows only one person to access specific cards, same as with Tournament. But the 'play treasure in action phase' bit enables BM/Tactician which is one of the most fun decks to play, so I can forgive its foibles.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Why's he putting "quotation marks" around every other "word"?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

:iiam:

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe he's a "fan" of hipster runoff

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Played Rattlebones this week at my local meetup. I wouldn't consider it a very good game but it had one really awesome mechanic that I guess could be called "dice-building."

In essence the game is a roll-and-move game where you roll one of your three dice and move one of your pawns that many spaces around the board. However, once you land on a space, you can choose to physically remove the face of the die and replace it with a symbol of the space you landed on. All of the die faces are modular. In the future, whenever you roll that new symbol you get some sort of other action besides movement (gaining VPs, stealing from other players, etc.). You can try to start building one die to give quick VPs, one to give you better odds of doing certain other actions, and so on.

This was one of the cooler mechanics I have encountered in a game recently. I would love something like this to be ported over to a different game. I think it has a lot of potential.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Guy A. Person posted:

Because people think scare quotes make their argument look better instead of just saying what they mean

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Because people think "scare quotes" make their argument look "better" instead of just saying what they "mean"

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow we give the BGG boards a lot of heat that they deserve but at least they aren't as incredibly smug as the r/boardgames subreddit. Every post that references the BGG top 100 talks about how insular and non-representative it is because of the hideously complex games that make it up.