Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

The game makes a hell of a lot more sense if you did what I did after realizing the writing was gonna be poo poo and just blast any dumbshit that attempted to open a dialogue with me that had any connection to killing off my pre-war lovelife.

Kellog got some words in over the loudspeaker but the second I was in the room his head came off. You killed my wife. The time for talking is over.

I stomped around in his memories and wouldn't you know he had a kid named Shaun too. But his kid was like ten years older than my Shaun so they probably wouldn't get along too well.

The second Father walked into the room I blasted him into a goo pile. The institute hired a guy to kill my wife and their leader just handed himself to me on a platter. What a prize that was.

Return to Institute with Minutemen and overload their reactor to blow them to hell. Some toaster called me daddy on the way out and I tried to shoot him before he could open dialouge but he was a hologram. Told him to go smoke pole and went outie 5000. Watched my version of the boston tea party take place on top of a tall building with more emphasis on fireworks and called it a day.

I didn't see any babies so Shaun must still be out there I suppose.

To me this was a great story. Really liked how they left the mystery of where my baby is at the end all wide open for future expansions. Really gives me hope moving forward as I clean up Boston to make a better future for my son when I finally track him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously the dumbing down of RPG dialogue systems is one of the worst things to happen to the genre in a long time.

gently caress you Mass Effect! :argh:
Mass Effect is one of the best written RPGs of all time. Witcher 3 also used the same dialogue system and it too was brilliant. It's really all Bethesda's fault.

Drinkfist posted:

The second Father walked into the room I blasted him into a goo pile. The institute hired a guy to kill my wife and their leader just handed himself to me on a platter. What a prize that was.

Haha I also killed Shaun the moment he walked in the room. I then reloaded the savegame and discovered I just shot the son I was looking for.

You know what? The twist with Shaun would have made a lot more sense if Kellogg was a ghoul.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 19, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

I split the game with a friend, and had 50 bucks in store credit, so I effectively got the game for free. I was honestly, pleasantly surprised by a lot of the game. Bethesda exceeded my expectations, and it gave me around 30 hours of solid entertainment as an FPS. This is a thread for discussing the game, however, and me chiming in every couple days with 'the combat is good' isn't interesting, nor technically a discussion. The quest writing and encounter design, however, is atrocious, and something worth discussing. I realize that this forum operates as a hug box, and people don't like engaging critically with games they play (especially power fantasy character creation games like this), but I like making people mad and being an rear end in a top hat.

in my case bethesda games are typically fun for 20-40 hours, but then the illusion of an immersive and highly interactive game world collapses and the game loses all its magic. after that point the game becomes completely unplayable and the whole deal also somehow sours all the prior hours spent playing the game.

i'm still having fun with fallout 4 but i know it will all come crashing down soon

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You literally cannot enter New Vegas without being attacked by some low level rear end in a top hat who wants to shank you every time, no matter what.

In fact most of the hub is filled with low level assholes that stop being threatening halfway through the game, probably the main reason why New Vegas is the only game like this where I use fast travel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drinkfist posted:

The game makes a hell of a lot more sense if you did what I did after realizing the writing was gonna be poo poo and just blast any dumbshit that attempted to open a dialogue with me that had any connection to killing off my pre-war lovelife.

Kellog got some words in over the loudspeaker but the second I was in the room his head came off. You killed my wife. The time for talking is over.

I stomped around in his memories and wouldn't you know he had a kid named Shaun too. But his kid was like ten years older than my Shaun so they probably wouldn't get along too well.

Return to Institute with Minutemen and overload their reactor to blow them to hell. Some toaster called me daddy on the way out and I tried to shoot him before he could open dialouge but he was a hologram. Told him to go smoke pole and went outie 5000. Watched my version of the boston tea party take place on top of a tall building with more emphasis on fireworks and called it a day.

To me this was a great story. Really liked how they left the mystery of where my baby is at the end all wide open for future expansions. Really gives me hope moving forward as I clean up Boston to make a better future for my son when I finally track him down.

I hope that one day you find your wee baby Shaun, friend.

quote:

In fact most of the hub is filled with low level assholes that stop being threatening halfway through the game, probably the main reason why New Vegas is the only game like this where I use fast travel.

New Vegas is the shittiest part of New Vegas, I hate it so much.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Drinkfist posted:

So solution to all plot holes, shoot any npc before it can talk to you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BadLlama posted:

So gatling lasers are pretty cool, been pumping points into heavy weapons. At first using fusion cores as ammo seemed costly but its actually really cheap. I can buy fusion cores for ~240 caps and get 500 shots per core which is the cheapest ammo available in the game. pew pew pew pew

I def gotta get a gatling laser then. I'm all about laser weapons but using laser rifles in power armor just feels wrong, so I usually end up bringing the minigun or rocket launcher along.

And yeah, its funny, I'm hording fusion cores like they're precious but since I've got nuclear physicist leveled up and I don't even use power armor all that often, I'm just slowly accruing more and more of the things.

Also: Fusion cores sell for FULL price unless they have 0 energy. Fire your fusion cores until they're at like 1% and then sell them and buy a new one :downs:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Does the power glove get damage bonuses from Iron Fist or Big Leagues?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Or just dont complete the game, there is nothing added once you beat the game expect it locks you out of 60% of the repeatable quests.

All the endings are awful since every side it is side only with us or kill us.

nah man gotta get maxson's sweet coat

Baron Bifford posted:

Haha I also killed Shaun the moment he walked in the room. I then reloaded the savegame and discovered I just shot the son I was looking for.

I kinda wish that was part of the story because it'd be a way better twist if you found out what happened after the fact

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like how you find fusion cores in generators underground and stuff, I only wish you could put a depleted core into one and come back later and grab it when its filled up. I guess the idea is that the stuff used to be running and filled up that core, but now its all turned off so it doesn't?

Also would be loving legit if I could build my own fusion core power plant, just like attach some electric generators to a fusion core station or something. Although I guess that might be too OP?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

PantsBandit posted:

If you put human Curie into a hazmat suit it kinda looks like she's a robo-spaceman. It takes some of the sting off the bad decision to turn her into human Curie

Why is it a bad decision? I was looking forward to doing this :(

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Does the power glove get damage bonuses from Iron Fist or Big Leagues?

It should be Iron Fist, that's how it was in all the other games.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Apparition posted:

Honestly just depends on if you want a human or robot companion. She can use more and better weapons and armor as a human, and her field dialogue doesn't change much. I think some people just prefer to have her as a robot, because it makes it more novel.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Zaphod42 posted:

I like how you find fusion cores in generators underground and stuff, I only wish you could put a depleted core into one and come back later and grab it when its filled up. I guess the idea is that the stuff used to be running and filled up that core, but now its all turned off so it doesn't?

Also would be loving legit if I could build my own fusion core power plant, just like attach some electric generators to a fusion core station or something. Although I guess that might be too OP?

My interpretation of these generators is that they run off the fusion core and not recharge it. It makes sense to me because the whole thing flickers and dies when you remove the fusion core.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Apparition posted:

It's not that bad really, I'm just exaggerating. Her character model is a little generic but she still gets the same cute one liners.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Or just dont complete the game, there is nothing added once you beat the game expect it locks you out of 60% of the repeatable quests.

So side with whichever faction doesn't have garbage repeatable quests.

Probably going to be Railroad, because I think Tinker Tom is on to something huge with those MILA units. I'd hate to see that end prematurely.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Curie spoilers

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly just depends on if you want a human or robot companion. She can use more and better weapons and armor as a human, and her field dialogue doesn't change much. I think some people just prefer to have her as a robot, because it makes it more novel.

What are you two talking about? She is never a human :brotherhood:

e:double post. Suck it

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

I split the game with a friend, and had 50 bucks in store credit, so I effectively got the game for free. I was honestly, pleasantly surprised by a lot of the game. Bethesda exceeded my expectations, and it gave me around 30 hours of solid entertainment as an FPS. This is a thread for discussing the game, however, and me chiming in every couple days with 'the combat is good' isn't interesting, nor technically a discussion. The quest writing and encounter design, however, is atrocious, and something worth discussing. I realize that this forum operates as a hug box, and people don't like engaging critically with games they play (especially power fantasy character creation games like this), but I like making people mad and being an rear end in a top hat.

I don't think anyone thinks you're being an rear end in a top hat, I think you're being a masochist.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Another bug I've run into:

planted a fuckload of Mutfruit at The Castle, which I now cannot select in workshop mode, and cannot assign settlers to either. Frustrating.

I was just thinking earlier that this Fallout is less buggy than the previous iterations but :lol: at that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Also my problem with the Institute

why the hell, once you have become the director, can you not start to influence change and start giving Synths rights

That was literally my entire rationale for joining the institute, to change the system from within and eventually free the most human Synths while still keeping the really robotic ones as servants and slaves because they aren't anywhere near sentient enough to matter

Seriously the entire making Synths more human thing is utterly ridiculous period, there was no reason for it at all because it almost certainly doesn't make them more reliable or more efficient. It's literally completely revolving around "HAHAHA WE ARE ENSLAVING AIS IN ROBOT BODIES EXCESSIVELY CLOSE TO HUMANS" and is the kind of moustache twirling evil that just makes zero sense.

And then, instead of your character helping and changing and fixing, you pretty much go "WELP IF IT AINT BROKE LOL" and you do NOTHING.

Not to mention the rewards for actually siding with the Institute are awful, with one exception, Experiment 18-A, which is a plasma gun that fires and reloads faster which is never a bad thing. Other than that you get a lovely vendor who has nothing but energy weapons, most of which are the lovely 1/3rd damage institute weapons. Maybe I am missing something, but the rewards for siding with the Institute are just plain awful. Why even do it? Also, it seems to me that the FEV experiments they were doing were to try and cure Shaun's completely undisclosed and unidentified disease of which he seems to not even suffer from until after the final mission, and getting the absolute panacea from vault 81 as far as I know ALSO won't do anything to help him.....

Tl;dr: the Institute questline is dumb as poo poo makes no sense and gives you zero applicable choice in changing the goals or motivations of the faction despite the fact that after a certain point you are literally leading it.

I was anti-Instititute, then pro-Institute because Father told me I'd be the new leader so I figured eh I'll change the poo poo I don't like like the synth enslavement and then I can be coolbros with the Railroad too and we can really do some good things!

Then Father told me to go kill the Railroad and I said 'nah I don't want to' and he said 'this is an order.' Like what fool you just retired dog gently caress off! Then I shot up the Institute.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Released a new version of Full Dialogue Interface last night that corrects a multitude of issues. Working on a final, feature-complete version now.

Once that finalized groundwork for the English version is done, translation work for all the other languages can begin in earnest. The current French translation is a functional but quick-and-dirty proof of concept.

Still can't believe how that mod has taken off. It's pretty crazy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JawKnee posted:

planted a fuckload of Mutfruit at The Castle, which I now cannot select in workshop mode, and cannot assign settlers to either. Frustrating.

I was just thinking earlier that this Fallout is less buggy than the previous iterations but :lol: at that.

size = number of placed objects.

Moridin920 posted:

I was anti-Instititute, then pro-Institute because Father told me I'd be the new leader so I figured eh I'll change the poo poo I don't like like the synth enslavement and then I can be coolbros with the Railroad too and we can really do some good things!

Then Father told me to go kill the Railroad and I said 'nah I don't want to' and he said 'this is an order.' Like what fool you just retired dog gently caress off! Then I shot up the Institute.

The story of the man that could not sell the world.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cirosan posted:

Released a new version of Full Dialogue Interface last night that corrects a multitude of issues. Working on a final, feature-complete version now.

Once that finalized groundwork for the English version is done, translation work for all the other languages can begin in earnest. The current French translation is a functional but quick-and-dirty proof of concept.

You should tweak it so it still displays HATE NEWSPAPERS. Which I hope everyone selected as the option.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I def gotta get a gatling laser then. I'm all about laser weapons but using laser rifles in power armor just feels wrong, so I usually end up bringing the minigun or rocket launcher along.

And yeah, its funny, I'm hording fusion cores like they're precious but since I've got nuclear physicist leveled up and I don't even use power armor all that often, I'm just slowly accruing more and more of the things.

Also: Fusion cores sell for FULL price unless they have 0 energy. Fire your fusion cores until they're at like 1% and then sell them and buy a new one :downs:

I have been running around in power armor for like 30 levels now and have 93 cores, I do have max nuclear physicist so my armor doesn't drain cores very fast. I also invested two points into the better prices barter skill, which is great I might add, and I wear all items that give me +charisma so when I need to sell/buy poo poo I just hop out of my armor and get something silly like +5 to charisma.

Also year, taking your cores out at low % and selling them is great.

How do you get your cores to eject like a grenade anyways I haven't figured that out but really haven't looked into it?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I really hate having to swap clothes just to buy/sell and then swap back, so I mostly don't bother. I wish it'd either factor in stuff you weren't wearing or otherwise give us some like "equipment sets" option for fast swapping. Classic RPG issue.

Iceshade posted:

My interpretation of these generators is that they run off the fusion core and not recharge it. It makes sense to me because the whole thing flickers and dies when you remove the fusion core.

That's a fair point, although it could be it just automatically turns off when there's no fusion core to charge. Why run if you're no storing it?

And if the generators are using the fusion core to run, why are they found at full power?

Not that it matters. :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kiggles posted:

Curie spoilers

What are you two talking about? She is never a human :brotherhood:

e:double post. Suck it

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Cirosan posted:

Just shows what a glaring mistake they made with the dialogue.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Baron Bifford posted:

What are the beast sources of gears for crafting?
Wrenches. They're loving everywhere. Everything else gives me gears as a consolation, but I always grab wrenches.

Keep in mind that if you start to hit a difficulty wall you can go back and re-clear old areas, all the containers will have refilled and enemies will be back.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I kinda wish that was part of the story because it'd be a way better twist if you found out what happened after the fact

It was for me. You people are just playing the game all wrong.

I was gonna do a INT 1 fist of the north star run after the first round of decent mods start coming out. Hopefully they kept with the occasional funny INT 1 dialogue responses for some of the game. If they took that dynamic out of the fallout franchise then that is the true crime.

Also someone needs to mod in a natural .50 cal weapon because even with all my rifleman perks this Hunting Rifle is not feeling like a .50 cal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cirosan posted:

You're doing god's work dude, loving thank you so much. I will use this forever.

Drinkfist posted:

Also someone needs to mod in a natural .50 cal weapon because even with all my rifleman perks this Hunting Rifle is not feeling like a .50 cal.

You're supposed to go for legendary weapons in the end-game, but yeah I wouldn't mind having one more tier of physical guns that use .50 cal inherently and do slightly more damage with upgrades or whatever.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

BadLlama posted:

and I wear all items that give me +charisma so when I need to sell/buy poo poo I just hope out of my armor and get something silly like +5 to charisma.

Oh man do armor/clothing bonuses not stack with power armor? I was hoping my grognak costume buffed my melee damage under the power armor...

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Crops have a tendency to get fiddly when they have been harvested. You just have to try and find that one drat sweet spot from just the right angle.

Settler assignments is probably the one thing I wish this game handled better. Give settlers random names, like John D., so you can tell them apart, and have some sort of assignments function you can access in workshop mode that will pop up on the local map or something, to help you figure out who is assigned to what, and let you make those assignments from the map itself.

Of course, this was all assuming the local map was worth a single poo poo, but I digress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can always paint your power armor Pip-boy livery to get +CHA while in power armor :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

You know what? The twist with Shaun would have made a lot more sense if Kellogg was a ghoul.

That would have been so much simpler, why didn't they do that? As it is, it really comes across as a "haha we got you he was a cyborg :smuggo:" twist instead of having him be a ghoul, which would have introduced doubt right off the bat but left things unclear. The player would think "oh, it's been ten years" when they see his memory of living with Shaun and then think they got it, but when the real twist happens it still wouldn't be a stretch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Crops have a tendency to get fiddly when they have been harvested. You just have to try and find that one drat sweet spot from just the right angle.

Settler assignments is probably the one thing I wish this game handled better. Give settlers random names, like John D., so you can tell them apart, and have some sort of assignments function you can access in workshop mode that will pop up on the local map or something, to help you figure out who is assigned to what, and let you make those assignments from the map itself.

Of course, this was all assuming the local map was worth a single poo poo, but I digress.

Yeah they really need to add a dedicated settler management menu. Having to find people and talk to them and then run over and point at what you want them to do is ridiculously clunky.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Cirosan posted:

you and shadwar are wonderful, maybe you'll someday overtake the nude mod in endorsements

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tenzarin posted:

size = number of placed objects.

the size bar isn't full yet, so I'm not sure how this helps me

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Apparition posted:

Oh man do armor/clothing bonuses not stack with power armor? I was hoping my grognak costume buffed my melee damage under the power armor...

You do not get your item bonuses when in power armor. Power armor gets its own bonuses based on paint jobs and things attached to your helmet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there anything craftable or buildable that really requires me to collect lots of ceramics? I mean I'm assuming it's good for some armors but there are just so many loving plates and coffee cups...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ electrical systems in settlements need a lot of ceramics, and high level power armor upgrade/repairs require ceramics (less so on the repairs).

BadLlama posted:

How do you get your cores to eject like a grenade anyways I haven't figured that out but really haven't looked into it?

If you do not have a grenade item equipped, the fusion core will be available to eject as if it were a grenade.

Note: it works exactly as described. The core will eject and land directly behind you, exploding like a mini-nuke. It is basically completely useless, except as a way to do something with your tons of fusion cores and kill yourself (they don't seem to do much damage to you). I don't think there has been an instance where I was being chased and it would have ever been a good idea to eject the stupid core like some sort of explosive caltrop, but it's there, I guess.

• Locked thread