Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I got some promo stuff for this with my new gfx card (lol). It seems to be for new accounts only but I figure someone, somewhere may want it?

e: It's this one I think. https://www.asus.com/event/info/activity_gaming_motherboard

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Elmnt80 posted:

So, starting off a match with "You're gonna get rekt like paris on a friday night" results in some hilarious threats and insults. :v:

EDIT: Oddly, the response to taking an atlanta into a match and saying "I'm gonna be shooting down planes like they're full of russians over egypt" doesn't get nearly as much of a response.

Back on Veteran's Day I was saying things like "Yeah, God Bless all of our socially acceptable Welfare Queens" whenever someone said "God Bless our Veterans!" in chat and immediately getting TKd and a lot of angry ranting from other people in the game.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Edit; Nevermind, found the other thread

Jaroslav fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 16, 2015

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I tried getting into the chinese game but it feels so.... blaah.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Klaus Kinski posted:

I got some promo stuff for this with my new gfx card (lol). It seems to be for new accounts only but I figure someone, somewhere may want it?

e: It's this one I think. https://www.asus.com/event/info/activity_gaming_motherboard

Similarly, the WoWS promo code that comes with new Intel CPUs is for new accounts only, too - don't get suckered in.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
New update coming soon.
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/cbt/patch-alert-0512/

Not much included, except for the fix to Dogfighting Expert. Took em long enough.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
That's an extraordinarily boring list of changes. No doubt the update will still break all the mods though. :rolleye:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

any idea which tiers the next ranked battles will be?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Playing my Amagi for the first time since the AP fix, poo poo's great. I loving obliterated a Mogami trying to cap, it was like his citadel was magnetically attracting my shots.

Also LOL at the destroyer trying to gunfight me while I could see him.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

My back hurt after carrying so hard in this one. The Colorado has really turned into a great ship. Rumor has it that the next ranked battles will only be tier 5-6... which disappoints me, I was looking forward to bringing this beast in. Never thought I'd be saying this about what was arguably one of the terrible ships in the game. Seems more accurate and has no problem penetrating almost anything.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

jownzy posted:

My back hurt after carrying so hard in this one. The Colorado has really turned into a great ship. Rumor has it that the next ranked battles will only be tier 5-6... which disappoints me, I was looking forward to bringing this beast in. Never thought I'd be saying this about what was arguably one of the terrible ships in the game. Seems more accurate and has no problem penetrating almost anything.

1 New Mex, 1 Kongo, 2 Clevelands, 1 Omaha and 2 Minekazes on each team. Why not.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

PirateBob posted:

1 New Mex, 1 Kongo, 2 Clevelands, 1 Omaha and 2 Minekazes on each team. Why not.

Because I won't get to use my Colorado... I'm sure they're doing it to actually get more people to play ranked battles... since it became nearly impossible to start a game after ranked 15 or so.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

From what I've heard, its Tiers 5-6, until Rank 10, then Tiers 7-8 for Ranks 10-1.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Didn't play this in forever......anyone want my account on the EU Server? US and Japanese ships are at tier 4-5 and i have an extra port from some promo.
Contact me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/RabbitWizard/ and I'll give you my login data and confirm the email-change or whatever.
Maybe someone wants to play with a friend and spare him the early grind.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

jownzy posted:

Because I won't get to use my Colorado... I'm sure they're doing it to actually get more people to play ranked battles... since it became nearly impossible to start a game after ranked 15 or so.

I know, I was being slightly sarcastic. The ranked battles dried up completely on the NA server.

Hazdoc posted:

From what I've heard, its Tiers 5-6, until Rank 10, then Tiers 7-8 for Ranks 10-1.

That sounds like a pretty good idea tbh.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I just got my Colorado and yea this thing is really good--even fully stock. The guns feel way more accurate with a more reliable spread than the NM. They also don't seem to have trouble penning anything which more than makes up for losing 4 guns.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Logged in for the first time in months, updated game. Lost every match in stellar lopsided fashion. Uninstalled the game. The End.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

Logged in for the first time in months, updated game. Lost every match in stellar lopsided fashion. Uninstalled the game. The End.

A World of Warship recap in 4 sentences.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
From a team chat last game:

quote:

Why is the sea so large?

Tears of Karlsruhe captains.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

German cruisers have really impressive (lack of) durability.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I reinstalled this game after having not played since CB ended. I dominated 5 matches in a row and was feeling really good about myself until I realized it defaults to co-op mode and I was fighting against bots the entire time :v:. I switched to battle mode and promptly got a taste of the drink after getting pounded on. Ahh, this is the Warships I remember.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, playing high tiers is a lot more enjoyable nowadays, with carriers less likely and not as dominating. I still cringe every time I see a Midway, but that's becoming incredibly rare. Its almost as if I can enjoy high tier matches if CVs just never showed up. I can't recall the last time I got killed by a TB in my DD that wasn't entirely my fault.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Had a match yesterday in the tier 3 russian destroyer where I joined to someone on my team dumping all of their shells into the side of my ship, setting me on fire and almost killing me.

So naturally I had to switch to torpedoes and dump all five launchers at them (only two torps actually hit, but they hauled rear end running away from me and dodging the remaining torps until they were out of range of me after that).

Went on to kill an enemy Clemson and put a hurting on a South Carolina, but drat, that match could have been so much better if it didn't start off with me losing 70% of my health to a jackass on my own team.

Also, I've been playing with headphones and getting the stern "DON'T DAMAGE YOUR TEAM MATES!" shout was funny.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Supposedly ranked starts tomorrow, according to in-game screen. Looking forward to it, grinding credits gets kind of meh after awhile.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wade Wilson posted:

Also, I've been playing with headphones and getting the stern "DON'T DAMAGE YOUR TEAM MATES!" shout was funny.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

amazeballs posted:

I reinstalled this game after having not played since CB ended. I dominated 5 matches in a row and was feeling really good about myself until I realized it defaults to co-op mode and I was fighting against bots the entire time :v:. I switched to battle mode and promptly got a taste of the drink after getting pounded on. Ahh, this is the Warships I remember.

The last match played yesterday I recall ten DD's per side and I made the mistake of taking out the Myogi. A cloud of smoke appeared and suddenly there were more torpedoes being launched at me than I can count. You can probably figure out how that ended.

Ooh I forgot a few Br dudes were making out in a corner speaking the mother tongue and none of us could figure out it except they kept saying DD a lot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

demonR6 posted:

The last match played yesterday I recall ten DD's per side and I made the mistake of taking out the Myogi. A cloud of smoke appeared and suddenly there were more torpedoes being launched at me than I can count. You can probably figure out how that ended.

Ooh I forgot a few Br dudes were making out in a corner speaking the mother tongue and none of us could figure out it except they kept saying DD a lot.

Jesus. That's some pretty terrible matchmaking. On the other hand there seem to be a lot more people playing DDs now.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Gotta spend 20 or so battles trying to wrap up that 300k damage DD mission.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I just noticed I have 1000 gold pieces. I think I got some sort of package in CB that gave me a Soviet ship, some premium gold, and maybe some other things. Is there a suggested thing to spend these on? I probably won't end up spending any more real dollars on the game, at least for now.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Free XP for unlocking modules. Maybe a port slot if you run out. Demounting to reuse equipment that cost 1 mil or more is also good, as is gold training a couple of new captains since it's only 25 gold for a decent head start.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kuntz posted:

Free XP for unlocking modules. Maybe a port slot if you run out. Demounting to reuse equipment that cost 1 mil or more is also good, as is gold training a couple of new captains since it's only 25 gold for a decent head start.

I wouldn't waste the doubloons (gold) on demounting or jump starting a new captain. The early levels are incredibly easy to get, and 25 doubloons just makes your total wonky.

Doubloons are best spent on port slots, commander respecs, commander retraining, and purchasing premium time. You can also use them on free XP, but I'd never spend them on credits. If you're going to do that, then you're better off spending the doubloons on demounting the expensive modules, as I'm fairly sure that has a better doubloons > credit conversion rate.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

If you're going to do that, then you're better off spending the doubloons on demounting the expensive modules, as I'm fairly sure that has a better doubloons > credit conversion rate.

IIRC it's true for every single module, even the cheapest ones.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Hazdoc posted:

Any thoughts on the best ships for T7/8 for you crazy people who play T8-10? I have a Mogami, Shokaku (I should just loving sell this thing. why do i keep trying?), Nagato almost grinded to an Amagi, & Kiev.

I love the Mogami but its fragility and 6" HE spamming might not get very far in smaller matches.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

guidoanselmi posted:

Any thoughts on the best ships for T7/8 for you crazy people who play T8-10? I have a Mogami, Shokaku (I should just loving sell this thing. why do i keep trying?), Nagato almost grinded to an Amagi, & Kiev.

I love the Mogami but its fragility and 6" HE spamming might not get very far in smaller matches.

According to the stats, the Mogami has the highest winrate of the Tier 8 ships (though I'm sure you should have expected that). Second place is the Amagi, then the Benson. I am excluding carriers, of course. If you're good at carriers, its more likely you should go with those, as you likely have more power to carry in one than in a Mogami or other ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

According to the stats, the Mogami has the highest winrate of the Tier 8 ships (though I'm sure you should have expected that). Second place is the Amagi, then the Benson. I am excluding carriers, of course. If you're good at carriers, its more likely you should go with those, as you likely have more power to carry in one than in a Mogami or other ship.

How much of that winrate is from before the AP changes?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Today the matchmaking put me in a game with a Yuudachi_PoiPoi on one team and a YuudachiPoiPoi on the other.

I am not making this up. :suicide:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Unless they're changing the team sizes, CVs are relatively weak in ranked. Not that they can't contribute, but teams tend to stick together in ranked which makes for a more lethal AA spread. At most you'll generally only see a destroyer or two, or a cruiser, wandering off to cap a far point, and those tend not to be favorable targets. In addition, T6-8 are the weaker CV tiers too, coming after the small amounts of AA in 4-5, and before the incredibly high speed and hp of 9-10 planes. This is not to say they're necessarily weak, but they're not precisely OP in that spread either.

wdarkk posted:

How much of that winrate is from before the AP changes?

As far as I'm aware their win rate has stayed pretty constant, as WG hasn't really touched HE or the skill that increases the range of 155s and smaller, which is why they're so lethal. They're basically a bigger, nastier Cleveland, if lacking the stupid as hell armor and citadel layout of the latter. So the AP changes should not have really affected them, as it's not like citadels are more common now than they were before 5.1. And that's all discounting that they're still perfectly capable of switching to AP if they want, if someone gives them a good target. Vaporized a Pensacola that thought he was safe turning broadside to me last night, when I switched and proceeded to drop 4 citadels into him in a single volley, along with the rest of the penetrations.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Won a game, got to rank 10 (which is unrevocable btw)

18 minutes in the queue, no game. Should be a lot of fun trying to get that booty of 13 mil.

Second attempt... 42 minutes in, no game yet.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 20, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Won a game, got to rank 10 (which is unrevocable btw)

18 minutes in the queue, no game. Should be a lot of fun trying to get that booty of 13 mil.

Second attempt... 42 minutes in, no game yet.

Yeah, the ranked season just started. People start at 20 if they haven't done Ranked yet. You need WAY too many stars to advance from Rank 10 onwards, its silly.
I phoned it in on Ranked first time around, cuz of queue times and wanting to play boats that weren't T6-7. But then Wargaming gave the Kitakami to Ranked people, without even mentioning they were considering that as a reward, so now I'm gonna get to Rank 1 this season. Ugh.

At least the run to Rank 10 was relatively painless. Some highlights:

I may just Benson for the rest of it. I don't know if I want to pull my Nagato or Myoko out for this.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, the ranked season just started. People start at 20 if they haven't done Ranked yet. You need WAY too many stars to advance from Rank 10 onwards, its silly.
I phoned it in on Ranked first time around, cuz of queue times and wanting to play boats that weren't T6-7. But then Wargaming gave the Kitakami to Ranked people, without even mentioning they were considering that as a reward, so now I'm gonna get to Rank 1 this season. Ugh.

At least the run to Rank 10 was relatively painless. Some highlights:

I may just Benson for the rest of it. I don't know if I want to pull my Nagato or Myoko out for this.

Was that first battle the one with a Warspite that never loaded in? Yeah, that battle sucked. Effectively down two ships, as one didn't load in until after he was dead(and that was at least 5-6 minutes into the match), and another that had a disconnect, and didn't load back in until it had already been decided, and your Fuso's shells were being magnetically attracted to citadels at any range.

Anyways, broke down and free exp'd the second hull for the Amagi after taking a break from Ranked. I ground through the exp for the first upgrade, but didn't want to buy two hulls and so decided to only purchase the second, and didn't feel like doing another 40,000 exp on the lovely stock hull. Very first match, and I already really like it. I think I still like Nagato better, but even from just a single match I already know I'm going to have fun with it now.

All three citadels were on that Yamato, and the Gearing had the misfortune to have six shells land on it solidly(though he was sailing in a straight line, if angled). I'd actually been planning on ramming the Yamato, as he was down to about 60k, but someone had launched torpedoes at him and warned me off, so the second two citadels were just part of a point blank volley that knocked off the last 30k of his health, with the first happening while I was closing.

Almost had the North Carolina too, but the timer saved him.