Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Sandy Petersen is currently the World's Happiest Mormon.

He did an AMA the other day and the man's body of work is so large. He's been everywhere in pioneering games both digital and otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

gradenko_2000 posted:

He did an AMA the other day and the man's body of work is so large. He's been everywhere in pioneering games both digital and otherwise.
I never liked his map design for Doom, but I always thought it was really funny how it was mentioned in Masters of DOOM that Romero was afraid of offending him or whatever when explaining DOOM, but Peterson pretty much just said "Hey, the demons are the bad guys, so who cares?" It's phrased way better in the book so I'll try to type it out when I get home.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jedit posted:

They look nice, but they're absolutely unusable. One of the display models has a huge chip out on one corner. I'm also not sure of the sanity level of magnesium dice - a misplaced spark and your table's got a hole burned in it.

I also don't want to murder my GM's table, obviously. I am pretty loose with my money, but 300 dollar dice are past my limit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Echophonic posted:

I also don't want to murder my GM's table, obviously.

GM just needs to get himself a tungsten table, problem solved.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Blood Rage slightly annoys me as I missed out on the KS because it seemed like just another 'ton of minis, little gameplay' game by CMON but I keep hearing it's actually good (similar with Dogs of War).

Is it worth tracking down a regular copy?

How much doe the KS Exclusives add?

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/blood-rage

4 exclusive figures that add to gameplay and a bunch of cosmetic stuff, like alt sculpts and upgraded components. I'm in the same boat as you, in that I assumed that the game was gonna be trash since it's CMON, but it's also CMON so I'm pretty okay with not supporting their business model.

It's just slower Kemet with a draft. There are some neat flourishes in the design (you can specialize in getting killed for points) but it encourages defensive play and large end-of-turn combats with drawn cards for points, so there's much more room for bad luck to destroy you.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

What's the bad luck that can destroy you exactly (I'm not sure what you mean when you say there's combat with drawn cards)? There are no random cards other than the initial draft pool, and you're seeing a lot of cards per age. In terms of speed it's basically equal to Kemet (they both take a bit under 2h with 5) but Kemet has been more likely to extend because of AP than Blood Rage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
But is it just plain fun

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Andarel posted:

What's the bad luck that can destroy you exactly (I'm not sure what you mean when you say there's combat with drawn cards)? There are no random cards other than the initial draft pool, and you're seeing a lot of cards per age. In terms of speed it's basically equal to Kemet (they both take a bit under 2h with 5) but Kemet has been more likely to extend because of AP than Blood Rage.

The combat cards are drafted from a single deck, not given to players equally. It is entirely possible in a draft to not get a decent combat card for your age because all players picked the best ones in the first round. (And it is immediately obvious that any player should pick the best combat card in their hand in the first round unless they're all-in on a Loki strategy.) Combat is the primary engine through which points are scored and resources are gained, so not getting dealt a good combat card in your first draft, or not being next in line to a player given two good combat cards in the first draft can mean that you simply cannot hope to compete for the biggest bonuses at the end of an age.

You can circumvent this through skill in a few ways - you can go loki, you can position your warriors to get free pillaging actions early, and you can try to trick other players into using their biggert combat cards first. But these are all bandages over a larger problem - that the draft can render you completely unable to attempt to straight-up win fights. Especially as the ages get shorter this becomes a larger problem, as competition for the resources and the extra points they provide at end-game become fiercer.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I have not found that to be the case. A single combat card can provide you with an upgrade and a battle victory, which is 14 to 18VP best case (exception: you've designed your board in a way that gets you extra VP for kills, like Valkyrie, at which point you're hunting combat cards like Odin's Tide), unless you're in Yggdrasil. You can easily get far more off other cards: quest cards can give you as much as 20 VP if you count the upgrade, and they're less likely to be burned by being forced to fight (with VP stolen by Loki or worse) than combat cards. Of course if you win then that's cool, but between the two cards that destroy all combat cards, Heimdall's bonus cards, and cheaper that can generate significant power disparities (the one that makes Warriors have 2 or 2.5 strength, 4-strength monsters) or reward you for being destroyed on battle there are plenty of ways to score without winning the one battle a nice combat card might give you.

The big issue is that

quote:

(And it is immediately obvious that any player should pick the best combat card in their hand in the first round unless they're all-in on a Loki strategy.)

has certainly not proven to be true, and in games where people tried it it often proved to be a nice second- or third-place strategy compared to going for synergies. There are multiple upgrades that let you cheat battle cards in the second and third eras (Loki's Backstab, Tyr's [2 and 3]) One battle win is nice and all, but first choice at a sustainable engine or a strong scoring card or a better unit to also generate a power disparity or something that synergizes nicely is often going to be better than a single Pillage victory. Additionally, because you only need to have enough strength in the final area during endgame questing, as long as you position yourself right you can move in to replace destroyed units + add a boat and you've completed a quest without even needing to fight for it.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 18, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It could be that the group that I was playing with had a metagame groupthink going on. I would point out, however, that this is the problem with switching out the purchasable tiles of Kemet with a draft.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It sounds like the main problem is that your group is convinced the game flow is basically Kemet when it isn't. Despite being similar in some ways (engine-builder-y games where you throw units at each other on a map while scoring points and building economy based on some sort of power you buy), the fundamental difference between the two is that scoring is way, way, way more flexible in Blood Rage in Kemet. Not that that's a good or a bad thing - in Kemet, your goal is to attack all the time and score points by winning those attacks + holding specific territories and boosting your economy without running out of prayer. In blood rage, you get points for winning combat and also for X, where X is your cards - and X tends to be much more significant than the points for winning combats.

In the last game I played, which was 2 or 3 weeks ago so I don't quite remember it, the general arc of the strategies was:

- Ragnarok Suicide (with Fenrir and the 2x VP for ragnarok)
- Loki's + Rage stealing and general efficiency, into suicide boats and unit self-destruction
- Heavy quests and some combat + Odin's Throne (+ Sea Serpent)
- Very heavy combat with the second Leader unit upgrade + points for kills and deaths

Of those 4 players, the last two took combat cards fairly highly but the first 2 let them flow as needed, maybe grabbing a good one but focusing more on the engine-building side of things. Everyone ended in the 110-150 range, with the game determined by how well we stopped people from scoring (trying to kill Fenrir and force a Yggdrasil fight for upgrades, trying to prevent quests, trying to keep fights small so p4 couldn't get tons of points off them). In that game, the number of points scored from actual combat was medium for p1, next to none for p2, medium for p3, and quite high for p4.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So Goodman Games has announced that they are printing backer names on the back two pages of the DCC, which means I'm going to credit myself as 4th Edition D&D Is The Best One.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So Goodman Games has announced that they are printing backer names on the back two pages of the DCC, which means I'm going to credit myself as 4th Edition D&D Is The Best One.

I hope they don't pull some bullshit with that. They should be professional enough not too, but all this puts that in doubt.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If you do this, I will chuckle to myself every time I see it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This owns.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Other than write the first edition of Call of Cthulhu what else has he been involved in?

Edit: Just checked wikipedia :stonk: MicroProse for starters? Holy poo poo!

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 18, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jedit posted:

I'm also not sure of the sanity level of magnesium dice - a misplaced spark and your table's got a hole burned in it.

So you're saying I shouldn't use them with my flint dice cup? I don't want a repeat of that time my friend spilled his drink on my table made of pure sodium.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jimbozig posted:

So you're saying I shouldn't use them with my flint dice cup? I don't want a repeat of that time my friend spilled his drink on my table made of pure sodium.

No lie, that'd actually be awesome. I mean, not with magnesium, but imagine just sparks flying out of your dice cup before you rolled them. :allears:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Echophonic posted:

No lie, that'd actually be awesome. I mean, not with magnesium, but imagine just sparks flying out of your dice cup before you rolled them. :allears:

When is your Kickstarter? Because if you can make a dice cup that shoots sparks when you roll dice, I am pretty sure you have a sure-fire (ha!) winner there.

Edit: like, the kind of sparks that the toys shoot. They still make toys that do that.

homullus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 18, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homullus posted:

When is your Kickstarter? Because if you can make a dice cup that shoots sparks when you roll dice, I am pretty sure you have a sure-fire (ha!) winner there.

Edit: like, the kind of sparks that the toys shoot. They still make toys that do that.

Well, right now it's tied up with Far West, so a little bit after that comes out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ohh if you do, I'll do something similar. Fantastic idea.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was looking through my list of Kickstarters, and what the hell happened to the Twilight Struggle Kickstarter? It has some of the worst communication I've seen, and that's coming from an actual reputable company too. I didn't even get the Collector's edition stuff, but drat, where's my stuff?

"drat, where's my stuff?" should probably be Kickstarter's general motto.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm also not sure of the sanity level of magnesium dice - a misplaced spark and your table's got a hole burned in it.

If you are throwing off misplaced sparks hot enough to light magnesium, you have got much bigger problems than your table. Especially since bulk magnesium is significantly harder to ignite than ribbon or powder.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

NinjaDebugger posted:

If you are throwing off misplaced sparks hot enough to light magnesium, you have got much bigger problems than your table. Especially since bulk magnesium is significantly harder to ignite than ribbon or powder.
From a historical perspective its only really famously happened once and that was a race car accident which ignited the frame.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There's an old story about a guy who wanted to set a NeXT cube on fire, for a really awesome splash picture for this article he was writing. It ended with him taking the thing to an Air Force base or something where they had some sort of Hellbrazier 9000 incinerator, and even that thing could barely light the fucker.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It's going to be on a tombstone. I might credit myself as "Joseph Goodman's Goodwill"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lightning Lord posted:

It's going to be on a tombstone. I might credit myself as "Joseph Goodman's Goodwill"

Yeah, I thought about that. But I'm still gonna do it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Anybody know anything about Mystigo games? They got this thing going where it's four small games. It's doing too well tho. Maybe it's cause I don't think they've ever done anything else. One of the games does come with some dwarfs tho

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mystigo/mystigo-games-kit-learn-in-minutes-and-play-with-a?ref=category_newest

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Here's another metal dice kickstarter. You can get them in tungsten!

These things are hilariously overpriced. I have a full set of steel dice from Dwarven Forge that cost me I think about $25? And I thought that was a bit spendy. There are at least two or three outfits already making metal dice for a looooot less money.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Another metal dice kicksatrter. These light up tho

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1372946489/luma-dice?ref=nav_search

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm a huge dork and I want those. Not enough to buy them, but enough to consider seriously attempting to make them at some probably-nonexistent point in the future.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Here lies
andy

peperony and chease

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bad Munki posted:

I'm a huge dork and I want those. Not enough to buy them, but enough to consider seriously attempting to make them at some probably-nonexistent point in the future.

Those seem pretty sweet. I'll gamble 20 bucks on these, seems like they know what the need to do, at least.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hmm looked up a bit more and the light-up dice might be ok. My bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 20, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I imagine they'd tend to roll high, not seeing the problem :haw:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Echophonic posted:

Those seem pretty sweet. I'll gamble 20 bucks on these, seems like they know what the need to do, at least.

Tempting. I think if it was a D20 I'd be in. They are pretty snazzy. The only other light up dice I've seen are those D20s that light up on 20 and those look pretty sad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Looks like a d20 is one of the later stretch goals.

If they manage to get some Fate dice in there I'd probably back it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Tempting. I think if it was a D20 I'd be in. They are pretty snazzy. The only other light up dice I've seen are those D20s that light up on 20 and those look pretty sad.

Those ones are a cute gimmick, but they're huge. Like, close to the size of a d30.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Kickstarter for the Western Edition of WongaMania is now live. It's a fun little card game that somehow managed to inspire a reality TV show in Singapore. The Western Edition has been revised with higher quality cards and components and has changed to a not offensively anime art style - I've seen all the cards for it and it's quite funny. There have also been some fairly major revisions to some of the cards that I think will speed the game up, and the player cap has (wisely IMO) dropped from six to four.

The project itself will explain everything in more detail than I have time for, but a PnP copy will set you back a whole AU$10 ($7.18 US) and the file will drop immediately after the campaign ends. I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:neckbeard: These look so cool.

• Locked thread