Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I called dibs you son of a bitch. I will fight you IRL. :argh:

It's been a while, remind me: Were you among the handful of goons who did that google hangout session with Eripsa last year or whenever about marbles and whatnot? If so, I'm beginning to worry you're addicted to arguing with the mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Alhazred posted:

Please explain to me how a country with slavery is economically free.

Think you might be waiting a while for an answer here, buddy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GunnerJ posted:

Think you might be waiting a while for an answer here, buddy.

"Economic liberty and personal liberty are two separate things that have nothing to do with each other, in this and only this specific case."

Caros
May 14, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS :munch:

More or less excited than you are for Jeb!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's been a while, remind me: Were you among the handful of goons who did that google hangout session with Eripsa last year or whenever about marbles and whatnot? If so, I'm beginning to worry you're addicted to arguing with the mentally ill.

Nah I missed that one. I know SedanChair was on that one and it was hilarious watching him kick the poo poo out of Eripsa.

I did spend an unhealthy amount of time arguing with Eripsa the last time he came around but the amount of laughter I get from that sustained me through the jrod dryspell.

Incidentally if you want to have a laugh, google Synereo. It was Eripsa's last crazy project and several months out from its first crowd funding drive it has produced... Nothing. Color me loving shocked.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
All I can think of with all the "fite me irl" posting is this

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

All I can think of with all the "fite me irl" posting is this

I would sell myself into slavery to watch Obama in an MMA match with any of his political opponents.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

Nah I missed that one. I know SedanChair was on that one and it was hilarious watching him kick the poo poo out of Eripsa.

I did spend an unhealthy amount of time arguing with Eripsa the last time he came around but the amount of laughter I get from that sustained me through the jrod dryspell.

Incidentally if you want to have a laugh, google Synereo. It was Eripsa's last crazy project and several months out from its first crowd funding drive it has produced... Nothing. Color me loving shocked.

Ah, gotcha. I had mixed you up. Yeah, I follow Eripsa's threads as they appear much like this one (watching Synereo fail to even live up to the worst-case predictions everyone made is pretty hilarious), but I do get a little worried about you guys who really engage earnestly so often. I mean yeah, it's admirable that you make such an effort confronting such stupid (Eripsa) and hateful (Jrod) bullshit, but I gotta wonder just how healthy that much Abyss-staring is.

Then again, I post in the freep thread.

Who What Now posted:

I would sell myself into slavery to watch Obama in an MMA match with any of his political opponents.

Especially a doughy, po-faced loser like Cruz.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ah, gotcha. I had mixed you up. Yeah, I follow Eripsa's threads as they appear much like this one (watching Synereo fail to even live up to the worst-case predictions everyone made is pretty hilarious), but I do get a little worried about you guys who really engage earnestly so often. I mean yeah, it's admirable that you make such an effort confronting such stupid (Eripsa) and hateful (Jrod) bullshit, but I gotta wonder just how healthy that much Abyss-staring is.

If it makes you feel better just keep in mind that I just really like arguing. I was on the Canadian world high school debate team for three years running solely because I really like winning arguments, even though I was actually diametrically opposed to many of the things I argued in favor of (the death penalty for example).

For me it really is just a fun past time to debate things, though I have a particular loathing for libertarianism that makes me waste more time than I ought.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's always good to be reminded that people like JRod exist. Frankly, I'm not even really angry at him. He's to be pitied more than raged at, because the very worst thing that could ever happen to him is that he gets to live in exactly the kind of society he argues for. His constant attempts at trying to pretend he didn't say what he clearly and provably did say get annoying, of course, but at the end of the day, I do my best to keep in mind that he's as much a victim as a perpetrator.

Not that that's going to make me take down that image. :v:

e: vvv That too!

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I believe it's a condition called "being an rear end in a top hat" and all of DnD suffers from it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TLM3101 posted:

It's always good to be reminded that people like JRod exist. Frankly, I'm not even really angry at him. He's to be pitied more than raged at, because the very worst thing that could ever happen to him is that he gets to live in exactly the kind of society he argues for. His constant attempts at trying to pretend he didn't say what he clearly an provably did say get annoying, of course, but at the end of the day, I do my best to keep in mind that he's as much a victim as a perpetrator.

Not that that's going to make me take down that image. :v:

I don't really think his beliefs are particularly abhorrent, just immature philosophy to which no one with real power actually subscribes.

Libertarianism is a fairytale to anyone who has any idea of recorded history beyond the broad strokes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I live in a country that subsidized my education so I had a real chance to better myself, if I lived in a country where that wasn't the case I wouldn't have much education at all. I remember breakin my arm as a kid and to relieve my pain my father, being a nurse, wrapped it in a newspaper to stabilize it. If I lived in another country that probably wouldn't have happened since then my father wouldn't have afforded the education to be a nurse or even afford to leave work to drive me to the doctor.
I come from a poor background and are now economically independent, but I can't enslave other people so I guess I'm not economically free at all.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Jrod, I want you to answer a simple question: what is the greater evil, property tax or slavery? Which one hurts a nation's economic freedom more?

If the slavery is worse, is there any kind of tax then that is worse than slavery?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
And at this point Jrod will disappear into the ether until the day he randomly decides to come reward us with is presence by telling us how smart and handsome he is once again.

I'd talk to Jrod and ask him questions and debate him but he has literally never responded to a single one of my posts. Ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I got a response :smug:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd talk to Jrod and ask him questions and debate him but he has literally never responded to a single one of my posts. Ever.

Much, though not all of his unwillingness to respond come from him not posting here to actually debate. Like most libertarian posters, he's here to proselytize and proclaim the Good Word to us unwashed heathens.

The rest of his unwillingness derives from his deep-rooted cowardice, inadequacy, lack of bladder control, and manifold other personal failings.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Much, though not all of his unwillingness to respond come from him not posting here to actually debate. Like most libertarian posters, he's here to proselytize and proclaim the Good Word to us unwashed heathens.

The rest of his unwillingness derives from his deep-rooted cowardice, inadequacy, lack of bladder control, and manifold other personal failings.

What do you expect from a watermelon fucker

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

What do you expect from a watermelon fucker

He actually finally denied being a watermelon fucker during his last bout of posting!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He actually finally denied being a watermelon fucker during his last bout of posting!

I'm just going to assume that he's lying until he provides actual, genuine proof that he is not, in fact, a watermelon fucker.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And at this point Jrod will disappear into the ether until the day he randomly decides to come reward us with is presence by telling us how smart and handsome he is once again.

I've given in-depth responses and I've also made snide jokes about him redefining words. The rule I've learned is that he only responds if you give him those "inflammatory substance-free replies." People respond to incentives, whoda thunk.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Everything else he's ever posted has been wrong. Why would this time be any different?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Everything else he's ever posted has been wrong. Why would this time be any different?

I just found it remarkable that he finally went on record with an answer one way or the other, to be honest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VitalSigns posted:

Despite the lip service to liberty and freedom, it seems like the most prominent Libertarians are perfectly happy to let bigots punch down at minorities or countenance horrific abuses by industry (like forced labor!) in exchange for a few percent lower taxes on the super-rich.
This is just a description of the Republican Party, isn't it? Hmmm.

TLM3101 posted:

That said, don't you loving dare aggress against me by trying to limit my freedom to post, you goddamn crypto-fascistic marionette. PUT DOWN THE GUN!
You call off your dogs, I'll call off my dogs!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

You call off your dogs, I'll call off my dogs!

*does not actually call off own dogs, and indeed actively unleashes them at the sign of slightest vulnerability.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*does not actually call off own dogs, and indeed actively unleashes them at the sign of slightest vulnerability.

*swoops in to kill the victor in his moment of victory and vulnerability*

Anubis-Jackle DRO supremacy!

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
One of the best bits of Jrode's awful property rights/reparations crap is how it sounds progressive and forward thinking - if a descendant can prove that their ancestors worked the land, they should be given it back.

Of course, in a libertarian society with no police or state, who the hell has a private army that could remove said property owner and who the hell is going to pay them?

And - the beauty of Jrode's answer is that slave owners specifically went out of their way to limit paperwork on their slaves. At best, although I could be wrong, you might have some census info or a deed of sale. There are still black US citizens who don't have a birth certificate because their parents couldn't go to a white's only hospital, they couldn't afford it, they couldn't read or write, or their parents never got one. And I doubt a libertarian would take a birth certificate as proof that one mingled their labor with the land. How do we know they didn't just work in the kitchen, hmm? Or sat around, hmm?

It's the perfect non-answer. Yeah, we want to right an ancient wrong, but unless your paperwork is in order, we can't do anything.

Jrode - serious question - do you oppose or support the efforts of states to require ids to vote and limit voting times and locations?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

And even assuming your ancestors had OCD slave owners and everyone had their claims appropriately resolved, that only causes more problems. How many different slaves worked that land over the 200+ years of our Peculiar Institution? And how many descendents do they have today? Any given black person would be lucky to get a square foot of land in a hundred different former plantations. And that's not even getting into figuring out who gets which square foot.

And then, oh poo poo, the Native Americans whose land was stolen in the first place show up with a solid argument that the whole of that land should be returned to them! If the land was stolen from one group and used to exploit another, how do you divvy it out? It goes back to the point raised earlier: the crimes committed in the name of property are so vast as to be completely impossible to address by handing out land.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jrod has gone on record that there's no way the native Americans were using that much land. I mean, let she serious here, most of them didn't even have fences! And it doesn't count if you don't have a fence.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Jrod has gone on record that there's no way the native Americans were using that much land. I mean, let she serious here, most of them didn't even have fences! And it doesn't count if you don't have a fence.

If anything that's one of the most bankrupt elements* of his whole fetishization of homesteading: how he pretends the frontier was somehow virgin, untouched territory for hearty whites yeomen farmers to go into and improve, thus mixing their labor with the land and improving it blah blah blah. The land belonged to other people first, jackass, until they got turfed out by either armed white settlers or state/national troops acting on their behalf, but lord no let's just pretend his warped variant on Frederick Jackson Turner is the end all be all of things.

*there are many others.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

:byodood: AND ANOTHER THING

jrodefeld posted:

To state the obvious, it is not only libertarians who value private property rights. All political ideologies have a strong conviction on private property. Marxists have a deeply felt conviction that the product of the worker's labor is their property and therefore the Capitalist is a thief by pocketing a profit from the product manufactured by the worker. That is why they feel it is justified for the workers to rise up and take control of the factories, taking them away from the Capitalist. It is not a random whim that is used to justify re-appropriation of property from the perceived thief to the "rightful" owner, but a consistent if mistaken concept of just property rights.

This got mostly lost in the shuffle because it got posted during your """defense""" of the Cato study, but I'd like to take a moment to marvel over how loving ludicrous this is. EvanSchenck already pointed out how wrong you are about Marxism, so what other philosophies are putting all this value on private property rights?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Who What Now posted:

If he's got time enough to post he's got time enough to get me my money, I say. Especially if he's posting such ignorant poo poo.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If anything that's one of the most bankrupt elements* of his whole fetishization of homesteading: how he pretends the frontier was somehow virgin, untouched territory for hearty whites yeomen farmers to go into and improve, thus mixing their labor with the land and improving it blah blah blah. The land belonged to other people first, jackass, until they got turfed out by either armed white settlers or state/national troops acting on their behalf, but lord no let's just pretend his warped variant on Frederick Jackson Turner is the end all be all of things.

*there are many others.
It's all pretty stupid to talk about in the modern day anyways. There isn't "virgin territory" anywhere on the planet anymore, even if there once was. A political philosophy based on gaining ownership of property by improving it is prima facie worthless - all the real property is already owned.

Actually, this philosophy supports seizing property from current owners and giving it to people who will use it better. I'm changing my mind, libertarian ethics sound pretty alright to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Infinite Karma posted:

Actually, this philosophy supports seizing property from current owners and giving it to people who will use it better. I'm changing my mind, libertarian ethics sound pretty alright to me.
More like "people who are whiter" :v: Wasn't there some movement which actually argued that all land should be nationally held, and instead of an income tax, everyone would pay basically some rental tax because they didn't make that planet they were using, but they DID make/buy/whatever their various improvements?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

More like "people who are whiter" :v: Wasn't there some movement which actually argued that all land should be nationally held, and instead of an income tax, everyone would pay basically some rental tax because they didn't make that planet they were using, but they DID make/buy/whatever their various improvements?

Georgism?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
There are still land taxes instituted off the back of that philosophy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Infinite Karma posted:

It's all pretty stupid to talk about in the modern day anyways. There isn't "virgin territory" anywhere on the planet anymore, even if there once was. A political philosophy based on gaining ownership of property by improving it is prima facie worthless - all the real property is already owned.

:colbert:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

And don't forget often real-life libertarian dream of seasteading, where you make a DRO on an oil-rig and freedom happens.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Drop the personal liberty vs economic liberty angle, we're only talking about economic liberty (unless you'd like to argue that slavery isn't a question of economic liberty?)

The thing I'm getting at, is that despite the lip service Libertarianism gives to personal liberty and economic freedom, when you look at what they actually value, low taxes is much more important than slavery. And it's not just the Cato list either, this came up in the discussion of Libertarian support for secessionists and the Southern Lost Cause from the last thread as well. Yeah Confederate slavery wasn't exactly good, but it's somehow a lesser evil compared to the Federal Reserve and the EPA and the 16th Amendment.

That's just slavery. That's not even getting into the personal liberty problems of modern-day secessionists, who believe Republic of Texas' lack of an income tax the most important thing, and sure we're jettisoning the US constitution's equal protection guarantee and the Supreme Court will no longer enjoin Texas from enforcing its horrible anti-gay and anti-woman laws but that's well worth it.

These are the kinds of things that drew me away from Libertarianism and toward progressivism. Despite the lip service to liberty and freedom, it seems like the most prominent Libertarians are perfectly happy to let bigots punch down at minorities or countenance horrific abuses by industry (like forced labor!) in exchange for a few percent lower taxes on the super-rich.

Don't just wave away Cato's rankings as bullshit, take a minute to think them over: what do they say about the real values of the Cato Institute if they make income taxes a higher priority than forced labor when talking about economic freedom?

What you are doing is spreading a gross caricature of libertarianism that says more about your own prejudices than it does about actual libertarian thought. Libertarians care more about low taxes than slavery? Really? I guess we can forget about all the classical liberal abolitionist writings and the statements that repeatedly say that slavery is the most egregious violation of human liberty. This sounds like something progressives make up about libertarians while snuggled in their own tight-knit bubble of self-reinforcing ideologies. The sort of thing people who have never even spoken to a libertarian, let alone having read a single influential libertarian treatise, would make up. You HAVE been speaking to a libertarian and I can assume you've read a few things about libertarianism so you don't have the excuse of ignorance to fall back on.

It is grossly irresponsible to make a statement like "despite the lip service Libertarianism gives to personal liberty and economic freedom, when you look at what they actually value, low taxes are much more important than slavery." What are you basing this on? You already acknowledge that all libertarians say they strongly oppose slavery since it is a violation of the non-aggression principle and self ownership. Every decent person opposes slavery, it hardly need be said. The reason why some libertarians focus on economics is that most people are not very economically literate and much more work needs to be done to educate the masses about the value of economic liberty.

Now, regarding the Cato study. I've already written down the criteria they used in the rankings of economic liberty. If you want to learn more, here is the full PDF file of the report that goes into much greater detail:

http://www.freetheworld.com/2015/economic-freedom-of-the-world-2015.pdf

If there was a methodological error in the way the list was compiled, then you are more than willing to point it out. You ought to direct your critique to the authors at Cato. But at least you should be clear about the method used and scope of the study in question. None of these countries adhere to libertarianism all that closely. In ranking a list of non-libertarian countries, we can only cite countries that have specific policies that are libertarian and look at the effect of those policies in particular. Switzerland, for example, has a very libertarian foreign policy of neutrality, non-intervention and the lack of a standing army and military industrial complex. The Netherlands have fairly libertarian and tolerant drug and prostitution policies. And various nations like New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore have economic policies that are much closer to laissez-faire than most other nations. Conclusions can be drawn from singling out particular policies that are closer to libertarianism and looking at their effects. The fact that other policies in all these nations deviate from libertarianism doesn't impugn the character of the libertarian analyst who is trying to make sense of an un-free world. Just as the Marxist who ranked the worlds countries in accordance with their adherence to Marxists principles could hardly be brought to task for the various betrayals of Marxism that different nations had given that no currently existing nations align very well with those values.

For the record, the Cato Institute is far from my favorite libertarian think tank. Citing this study doesn't amount to a ringing endorsement of Cato or all of the writers there. But I think this list is pretty accurate judged on the whole. Look at the top 20 countries listed and compare them to the bottom 20 and you'd be hard pressed to argue that the top 20 are not much more economically free and prosperous than the bottom 20. Other libertarian organizations have released similar lists that rank different nations according to different libertarian criteria.

I'm trying to get off of this subject and speak about the libertarian principles I articulate. Fair enough? This is absolutely NOT worth the time you are investing in it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jrodefeld posted:

What you are doing is spreading a gross caricature of libertarianism that says more about your own prejudices than it does about actual libertarian thought.

you don't get to do this, mr gross mischaracterization of literally everyone as a fascist in waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

jrodefeld posted:

What you are doing is spreading a gross caricature of libertarianism that says more about your own prejudices than it does about actual libertarian thought. Libertarians care more about low taxes than slavery? Really? I guess we can forget about all the classical liberal abolitionist writings and the statements that repeatedly say that slavery is the most egregious violation of human liberty. This sounds like something progressives make up about libertarians while snuggled in their own tight-knit bubble of self-reinforcing ideologies. The sort of thing people who have never even spoken to a libertarian, let alone having read a single influential libertarian treatise, would make up. You HAVE been speaking to a libertarian and I can assume you've read a few things about libertarianism so you don't have the excuse of ignorance to fall back on.

It is grossly irresponsible to make a statement like "despite the lip service Libertarianism gives to personal liberty and economic freedom, when you look at what they actually value, low taxes are much more important than slavery." What are you basing this on? You already acknowledge that all libertarians say they strongly oppose slavery since it is a violation of the non-aggression principle and self ownership. Every decent person opposes slavery, it hardly need be said. The reason why some libertarians focus on economics is that most people are not very economically literate and much more work needs to be done to educate the masses about the value of economic liberty.

Now, regarding the Cato study. I've already written down the criteria they used in the rankings of economic liberty. If you want to learn more, here is the full PDF file of the report that goes into much greater detail:

http://www.freetheworld.com/2015/economic-freedom-of-the-world-2015.pdf

If there was a methodological error in the way the list was compiled, then you are more than willing to point it out. You ought to direct your critique to the authors at Cato. But at least you should be clear about the method used and scope of the study in question. None of these countries adhere to libertarianism all that closely. In ranking a list of non-libertarian countries, we can only cite countries that have specific policies that are libertarian and look at the effect of those policies in particular. Switzerland, for example, has a very libertarian foreign policy of neutrality, non-intervention and the lack of a standing army and military industrial complex. The Netherlands have fairly libertarian and tolerant drug and prostitution policies. And various nations like New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore have economic policies that are much closer to laissez-faire than most other nations. Conclusions can be drawn from singling out particular policies that are closer to libertarianism and looking at their effects. The fact that other policies in all these nations deviate from libertarianism doesn't impugn the character of the libertarian analyst who is trying to make sense of an un-free world. Just as the Marxist who ranked the worlds countries in accordance with their adherence to Marxists principles could hardly be brought to task for the various betrayals of Marxism that different nations had given that no currently existing nations align very well with those values.

For the record, the Cato Institute is far from my favorite libertarian think tank. Citing this study doesn't amount to a ringing endorsement of Cato or all of the writers there. But I think this list is pretty accurate judged on the whole. Look at the top 20 countries listed and compare them to the bottom 20 and you'd be hard pressed to argue that the top 20 are not much more economically free and prosperous than the bottom 20. Other libertarian organizations have released similar lists that rank different nations according to different libertarian criteria.

I'm trying to get off of this subject and speak about the libertarian principles I articulate. Fair enough? This is absolutely NOT worth the time you are investing in it.

At various times you have deployed Walter Block in your defence, a man who supports the right of individuals to sell themselves and their children in to slavery.

Forgive us if we fail to take your outrage about slavery seriously.

• Locked thread