Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I think I'm gonna go with a Lowepro Pro Tactic 450 AW. Turns out Adolph Gasser can special order the bag and they'll let me use my student discount :getin:

me irl:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have the Pro Tactic 350. Awesome bag.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gotta hone that wannabe PSC look.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

evil_bunnY posted:

Gotta hone that wannabe PSC look.

it comes with a tripod foot holder that attaches to the MOLLE loops. i can add any molle-compatible accessory i like to it to make it as ~pro tactical~ as i want

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey all, so I have two questions for you all. I am planning on flying soonish, and I am wondering what is a good compromise bag for photo equipment that still fits underneath the "held good" standard of personal luggage.

Second question, what is a good backpack for holding 2 cameras with grips (a mirrorless and a DSLR and about 5 lenses.

Thanks to all for the help.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno what a held good is but I like Think Tank's airport series for travel since they're squarey and use the available space well.

I have that LowePro 450 and kinda wish I would have just gotten another ThinkTank. The hardware is a lot nicer on the ThinkTank stuff even if I like the idea of the side ports and back opening on the 450.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I've been looking for a backpack for several months that works well for outdoor adventuring as well as urban commutes, while also effective at storing my camera gear and sub-$100. I went through some bags from Hershel, Everlane and Fjallraven but didn't really find anything that provided the right protection, compartmentalization and style.

I came across Cotopaxi several weeks back & really love their Cusco bag. They're a newish company based out of UT that does a lot of good with each of their purchases (aid to refugees, education, etc) and takes pride in where their items are made. The Cusco is waterproof & made of really durable fabric while also containing a bunch of pockets for storage at less than $90. I've already taken it hiking and use it every day for commuting in NYC and it's been perfect so far.

http://cotopaxi.com/collections/lifestyle-packs/products/cusco-26l-backpack-black

Highly recommended for those looking for a cross-functional backpack that looks/performs great while also offering good storage for camera gear.

Here's a $20 off coupon if anyone's interested, which brings the bag down to $69 w/ free 2 day shipping (referral link):
http://fbuy.me/cIv_m

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey all, so I have two questions for you all. I am planning on flying soonish, and I am wondering what is a good compromise bag for photo equipment that still fits underneath the "held good" standard of personal luggage.

I carry a Domke Journalist 2 and it fits snugly under the seat in front of you (but doesn't leave a lot of room for your feet). It's not much of a compromise - my shoulder gives up well before I run out of space in it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Yond Cassius posted:

I carry a Domke Journalist 2 and it fits snugly under the seat in front of you (but doesn't leave a lot of room for your feet). It's not much of a compromise - my shoulder gives up well before I run out of space in it.

I've taken my J-1 (even bigger) on planes all the time. It probably helps that the 30L backpack I normally also carry and the J-1 put together are, combined, still smaller than the maximum carry-on size.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I'm upgrading from a D5100 to a D7100, and I think it's time to set aside the Nikon camera strap that came with my D5100. I'd like to get a sling strap, and it sounds like the Black Rapid straps are well regarded, but it's not entirely clear to me which is the one that makes most sense with the D7100 (at present I don't have any lenses heavier than an old Nikon 135/2.8 -- i.e., no big, heavy zooms -- but I suppose I might change at some point down the road).

Looking around Amazon, I see the RS10SC-1AO for $40, but it seems like maybe it's for smaller cameras. There's the Cross Shot, which is $5 more and looks a little bigger, and there's the RS-7, which clearly has a bigger camera hooked up to it in the images shown there.

From Black Rapid's website, it looks like Metro strap is itself lighter and the RS-7 is part of different line called the Curve, I think, but I'm not seeing much info about how much weight you'd want to hang from it (maybe I'm just missing something). Their website gives me the impression that the difference between the Metro and Curve straps is how they fit, not how robust they are.

Setting aside Black Rapid, as I have no particular allegiance there but just want whatever is safest for hanging my camera from, it seems like there are lots of similar looking straps from other vendors, like this Fotasy strap I saw recommended a few pages back, or this, which looks almost the same.

Anyone have any particular advice here either for a D7100 or similar size camera, either as between those Black Rapid straps, or another option?

For whatever sling strap I ultimately get, is it a good idea to get some kind of tether, like this?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I carry my d800 with battery grip on the shot, which is the not cross body version of the cross shot. The rubber pad is pretty nice and I like the design a bit more than the sport I use for gigs where I'm going to be carrying the camera for longer.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I've got a crumpler 5 MDH that is just a little too small. I want a bag to carry my generic walking-tour kit:
full frame with standard zoom attached (5D with 24-105)
big rear end 70-200 (70-200 /2.8 IS II)

I can BARELY fit them both in the 5 MDH now but the top flap barely closes. I'd like something that will fit both, but not much more than that to keep the bag small. I prefer a messenger bag but a small backpack would be OK too. Any recommendations?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Graniteman posted:

I've got a crumpler 5 MDH that is just a little too small. I want a bag to carry my generic walking-tour kit:

I can BARELY fit them both in the 5 MDH now but the top flap barely closes. I'd like something that will fit both, but not much more than that to keep the bag small. I prefer a messenger bag but a small backpack would be OK too. Any recommendations?

Maybe I'm being overly simple but why not a 6 or 7 MDH instead?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Graniteman posted:

Think Tank Retrospective 7?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'd be weary of the Retrospective. They're good bags but the prices have gone batshit lately.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

HPL posted:

I'd be weary of the Retrospective. They're good bags but the prices have gone batshit lately.

Looks like pretty much the same prices as when I bought my Retrospective 10 four years ago. They are expensive but, imo, worth it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I got an F-Stop Medium Shallow ICU on alkanphel's recommendation for taking my Chamonix hiking.

Camera, 90, 135, and 300mm lenses, lightmeter, and loupe. Holders are in their own antistatic bags.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Basically I need opinions from anyone who has a backpack they like that holds a laptop and large, heavy cameras.

Also, and semi-related, what're some good straps for holding my Pentax 67 (which weighs about five pounds with lens) comfortably? I just bought strap lugs for it, but I'm not sure the old Optech I found in a box is going to work out.

Older post and not directly related to bag selection per-se, but depending on your level of fitness, get a bicycle with a good luggage rack and strap your load to that. My back is not great, and it doesn't take much to exacerbate it, so being able to offload that onto a bicycle's frame helps considerably. If the hills are too much to pedal on your own, look into an electric assist. My landlord is in his 50's with a bad knee and he copes just fine in a pretty hilly city with his.

Heavy duty strap: Blackrapid is way overengineered, I have used it on MF and even LF cameras no problem, definitely recommend. If you were going to be shooting on a tripod (not the worst idea with a P67), you can get a passthrough adapter thing for it.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Older post and not directly related to bag selection per-se, but depending on your level of fitness, get a bicycle with a good luggage rack and strap your load to that. My back is not great, and it doesn't take much to exacerbate it, so being able to offload that onto a bicycle's frame helps considerably. If the hills are too much to pedal on your own, look into an electric assist. My landlord is in his 50's with a bad knee and he copes just fine in a pretty hilly city with his.
Are vibrations an issue when carrying camera gear on luggage racks? I'm considering picking up a new bike because there are so many great bike paths and parks around here, but I'm wary of throwing lenses into an even well-padded pannier. Or do you carry your lenses in a backpack and let your body dampen the vibrations, and use the bike for tripod / camera body / holders etc?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Heavy duty strap: Blackrapid is way overengineered, I have used it on MF and even LF cameras no problem, definitely recommend. If you were going to be shooting on a tripod (not the worst idea with a P67), you can get a passthrough adapter thing for it.

If I was carrying a Pentax medium format of any vintage I'd go one step further. Blackrapid also makes a series of additional lockdowns and tethers for their straps to protect against failure of the few plastic components.

Example: http://www.blackrapid.com/products/buck

It's also a good idea to consider tethering an expensive setup to the strap by one of its strap points on the camera in addition to the tripod mount. I know someone whose tripod mount on his camera disintegrated on him mid hike and took a lens worth twice the body to hell with it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I am about to order a gordy sling with tripod screw attachment. Anyone have the same combination and how do you like it?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Looks like F-stop are clearing out some bags at very reasonable prices. Most are from the old Millar range, which masquerade as a regular bag better than any other I've seen. They appear to be from the Millar range before the product previews were sold, so they're missing some of the tweaks that were made. I have the Brooklyn Sling product preview version and I love it to bits.

Link to F-stop clearance page.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was looking for a messenger bag that could carry a 13" Macbook Pro and my X100t and happened upon this super cheap Lowepro on Amazon for $30. So far it's served my purposes well, considering the price (I was going to get an ONA Union Street...). Not sure how waterpoof it is, the fabric is fairly thin, but it's lightweight and has padding where it counts. There's also a black version if grey/orange isn't your thing.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
The Lowepro messenger bags are generally pretty great, I own a 100 and 250 Event Messenger: http://www.lowepro.com/event-messenger

I use a Lowepro Magnum 650 AW to carry all my gear for travel (if you remove the laptop it fits in virtually any airline overhead bin, regardless of what they say on the site), but the Event Messenger 250 plus a Dashpoint 30 on the strap lets me carry two cameras with lenses attached, cleaning gear, and a point and shoot (in the dashpoint), which is great for a whole day out and about.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
thinktank is unloading retrospectives at really good prices on amazon. $100 for a blue 20, $70 for a blue 30

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

frogbs posted:

I was looking for a messenger bag that could carry a 13" Macbook Pro and my X100t and happened upon this super cheap Lowepro on Amazon for $30. So far it's served my purposes well, considering the price (I was going to get an ONA Union Street...). Not sure how waterpoof it is, the fabric is fairly thin, but it's lightweight and has padding where it counts. There's also a black version if grey/orange isn't your thing.

It's down to $20 now, I bought one just because.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

TheQat posted:

thinktank is unloading retrospectives at really good prices on amazon. $100 for a blue 20, $70 for a blue 30

drat, that price for the 30 is ridiculously low. I probably don't need the bag, but...

Edit: And the 50 is going for $80 now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm considering going for a hand strap rather than a neck strap, as I wear a small Lowepro bag over my shoulder that holds my camera nicely enough to just grab it when needed. How have people found them? I saw some video review where the guy said he found it limited his hand a bit but it might be just him. I back button focus so my thumb needs to be able to get to my AE/AF button constantly with my index on the shutter. I have girlish small hands as well, if that makes any difference.

I was considering the Cotton Carrier one, but not sure the one listed on Amazon for a cheap price has everything you need to attach it to the camera (this one which has an Arca Swiss plate instead of the 'camera hub' one which sells for more than 2x the amount. I don't have a proper tripod yet mind). Is this fine, or do I need the more expensive one?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was considering the Cotton Carrier one, but not sure the one listed on Amazon for a cheap price has everything you need to attach it to the camera (this one which has an Arca Swiss plate instead of the 'camera hub' one which sells for more than 2x the amount. I don't have a proper tripod yet mind). Is this fine, or do I need the more expensive one?
This is what I use and I absolutely love it. I use back button focus and also have girlish small hands and find it a perfect fit.

I bought the strapshot kit: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/233ev1.htm

This comes with the hand strap as well, but also has an attachment for my backpack so that I can hang the camera on the strap as well. I wish I had a picture of this because it's not easy to describe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome, I'm glad to hear. I ended up going for the one with the Arca mount because there was an Amazon 3rd party seller who had it for way less than everyone else (I don't know why these seem a lot more expensive in the UK than US, but hey). The only issue I might have is that I doubt I'll be able to mount my little GorillaPod clip on it, but I guess I can just prepare for that when needed and keep the tools in my bag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

drat, that price for the 30 is ridiculously low. I probably don't need the bag, but...

Edit: And the 50 is going for $80 now.

I have a 20 and it's quite big. You'd probably be walking with a limp if you loaded up a 30 or 50.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

HPL posted:

I have a 20 and it's quite big. You'd probably be walking with a limp if you loaded up a 30 or 50.

I think the 20 and 30 are pretty close in terms of space. The 20 is just laid out vertically and the 30 horizontally.

There's no way I'd buy a 50. I don't even have that much gear!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I bought a 20 on release and it was pretty big. I could easily carry a gripped D700, 3 Nikon primes, and my Hassie with room left to spare. I found the padding to be a bit bulky for every day use though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InternetJunky posted:

This is what I use and I absolutely love it. I use back button focus and also have girlish small hands and find it a perfect fit.

Out of curiosity, what camera do you own? The strap came this morning and I've spent some time trying to get it setup to suit me best but it's taken some time. In the end I've mounted it so the part that meets the bottom of the camera is angled forwards a bit, and then I adjust my hand in the strap (made as tight as possible and not used the keychain bit they provided) differently for carrying and shooting. I find when I've got thumb on back button and index on shutter, I instinctively rest the camera slightly in the area just below my pinkie and it was hard to shift my hand like this in any other setup as the strap would get in the way. I'm intrigued as to how different this would be on a full frame or camera with a battery grip setup, as my Nikon D7200 is a DX camera that's pretty small.

Looking forward to going out and trying it for real though. No more stupid neck strap getting in the way, or having to wrap around hand to try and mimic the same effect.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Everyone watching this thread probably also watches the Buy'n'Sell thread too, but just in case:

I'm giving away a camera backpack that's worked very well over the years for hiking and skiing.

It's too big for what I need these days, and it's just been taking up space in my closet.

If you're in the Vancouver BC area and want it, drop me a PM

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=232#post453588113

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky posted:

I bought the strapshot kit: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/233ev1.htm

This comes with the hand strap as well, but also has an attachment for my backpack so that I can hang the camera on the strap as well. I wish I had a picture of this because it's not easy to describe.

Do you swiss arca plates? How do these work with those? I have a friend who loves his but does not really use a tripod where I use a tripod a lot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Out of curiosity, what camera do you own? The strap came this morning and I've spent some time trying to get it setup to suit me best but it's taken some time. In the end I've mounted it so the part that meets the bottom of the camera is angled forwards a bit, and then I adjust my hand in the strap (made as tight as possible and not used the keychain bit they provided) differently for carrying and shooting. I find when I've got thumb on back button and index on shutter, I instinctively rest the camera slightly in the area just below my pinkie and it was hard to shift my hand like this in any other setup as the strap would get in the way. I'm intrigued as to how different this would be on a full frame or camera with a battery grip setup, as my Nikon D7200 is a DX camera that's pretty small.

Looking forward to going out and trying it for real though. No more stupid neck strap getting in the way, or having to wrap around hand to try and mimic the same effect.
I have my hand strap on a 1DX. With my thumb on the back button and index on the shutter the strap lies perfectly against the outside of my hand in a snug fit. When I go hiking I usually have a 1DX + 300mm 2/8 + TC (~12 pounds maybe) in my hand and the hand strap takes all the weight quite nicely.

Dread Head posted:

Do you swiss arca plates? How do these work with those? I have a friend who loves his but does not really use a tripod where I use a tripod a lot.
Yeah, I have the following adaptor on the body: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/Cotton-Carrier-UNIVERSAL-ADAPTER-PLATE-p/766nhp.htm

It's a swiss arca plate with the carrier attachment in-one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah that's a much bigger camera than mine. I'm getting more used to it, although my laziness finds I'm picking the camera up a lot without putting my hand through the strap. Although I'd do that with the neck strap too so no real difference.

The mini Swiss Arca it came with has a mount point on it too which was a relief, as I can still put my little Gorilla Pot plastic plate on it when needed.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

frogbs posted:

"Free shipping and handling"

gently caress off amazon

E:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amazon doesn't have an Australian store, right? It's always worth trying a little thing I found out a few years ago to your nearest one though - if you change for example the .com to .co.uk when you have an item up, if they have the same listing in the UK store it'll bring it up. Handy for flicking between a few different countries to see who has the best prices.

• Locked thread