Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I have comprehensive with Progressive and didn't have to do all that crap about how it's locked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah American insurance tends to be a lot more laid back about comprehensive coverage. State Farm adjusters just commiserated when I got 2 675s stolen in the course of about 9 months.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have comp* but I have never had to use it.

Closest to stolen it got was when I stored it outside at my friend's house for a year the neighborhood watch got the cops to come out because they thought I was stealing my bike. Yes. I'm sitting here in broad daylight, idling a fuckoff loud bike up to temp to prep for stealing it hahaha.

* come to think of it I haven't used collision or liability either

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

One of my friends is an insurance product designer for a national motorcycle insurance leader*.

Her insight into this is that industry wide, theft is going to be the major driver of comprehensive premium cost, and most of that is going to be based off your garaging zip code, despite any countermeasures you have in place. Additionally, living in an apartment/townhouse/condo will jack up your comprehensive premium, as those living situations tend to be more conducive to having your bike stolen, apparently.

*her words, to make herself sound fancy by her own admission.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Only one of these could be secured through the frame, but the other was basically theft proof anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

High Protein posted:

Only one of these could be secured through the frame, but the other was basically theft proof anyway.

Just tie it to the Buell.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Grease/lube chat: I've already ordered some chain lube, and since I'm gonna be removing the wheels to change tyres, was about to throw a tube of copper grease into my cart as well (also use on bolts/fasteners as I work on the bike). What other types might I need, or what can I get away with substituting in their place? Was thinking I might be doing front brake cable/lever, throttle, etc (they're not bad, but might as well). Seem to remember a mechanic using regular motor oil + a funnel for cables on my Minsk.

Edit: also, about to buy some tyres/tubes, would kind of prefer to defer the sprockets + chain for the time being. How bad do these rear sprocket teeth look? I may only have the bike for another ~5 months/couple thousand kms, so I am tempted to skip it entirely. Chain is a bit loose but there is plenty of room left to adjust left on the swingarm, at least.

Renaissance Robot posted:

The catch is that if you don't use one of the security devices you've told them you're using and your bike gets nicked, they won't pay out.

Out of curiosity, how would they know?

Ola posted:

Just tie it to the Buell.

:iceburn:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 11, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I use the following:
WD40.
Motor oil.
Penetrating oil.
Chain lube.
Bearing grease.

That's really it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Just because I can't think of an answer doesn't mean insurance fraud is a good idea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Those teeth are getting pretty worn out, but they're probably ok to ride on for a while. No missing teeth or ones that are obviously hooked, right?

Consider though that they definitely need replacement in the future, so if you're going to sell the bike, you may as well fix it so that it's one less thing for buyers to haggle about, and then you're riding on safer parts for the next few months anyway.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 12, 2015

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Over here they make you use an alarm that sends your phone a message when activated (SMS or through an app).
Many places have cameras, so it's easy to see if your bike was locked.

They also question the poo poo out of you and try to spot any inconsistencies. Do you always lock your bike? Was there any a time when you didn't lock your bike, even for a little bit like when jumping to the store? (- Yes)
Is it possible that you didn't lock it up this time as well? (Don't say "uhh" here.)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sagebrush posted:

Those teeth are getting pretty worn out, but they're probably ok to ride on for a while. No missing teeth or ones that are obviously hooked, right?

Consider though that they definitely need replacement in the future, so if you're going to sell the bike, you may as well fix it so that it's one less thing for buyers to haggle about, and then you're riding on safer parts for the next few months anyway.

Good pointl, they weren't anymore hooked/damaged than in that pic, but it was only AU$68 for the set anyhow (+$13 for a chain breaker, realised my bicycle one was too small). I was tempted to go up to a 16T front sprocket, but with the steep inclines around here I think I'm better off leaving it stock. Not a lot of high-speed carriageways in Tasmania anyhow.

With the tyres/tubes I just ordered this morning, already up to $540 of stuff on a $700 bike :sweatdrop: To be fair a decent bit of that are tools/lubricants/etc that are one-time purchases, or will at least last several years.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just because I can't think of an answer doesn't mean insurance fraud is a good idea.

Kane posted:

Over here they make you use an alarm that sends your phone a message when activated (SMS or through an app).
Many places have cameras, so it's easy to see if your bike was locked.

They also question the poo poo out of you and try to spot any inconsistencies. Do you always lock your bike? Was there any a time when you didn't lock your bike, even for a little bit like when jumping to the store? (- Yes)
Is it possible that you didn't lock it up this time as well? (Don't say "uhh" here.)

Ah, was just curious. I've never owned a bike worth insuring for damage/theft, I just make sure I'm covered against third party stuff and personal injury for myself.

builds character posted:

I use the following:
WD40.
Motor oil.
Penetrating oil.
Chain lube.
Bearing grease.

That's really it.

I've always thought of WD-40 as a penetrating oil, is there stuff you'd use a different type/brand for?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Good pointl, they weren't anymore hooked/damaged than in that pic, but it was only AU$68 for the set anyhow (+$13 for a chain breaker, realised my bicycle one was too small). I was tempted to go up to a 16T front sprocket, but with the steep inclines around here I think I'm better off leaving it stock. Not a lot of high-speed carriageways in Tasmania anyhow.

With the tyres/tubes I just ordered this morning, already up to $540 of stuff on a $700 bike :sweatdrop: To be fair a decent bit of that are tools/lubricants/etc that are one-time purchases, or will at least last several years.

Ah, was just curious. I've never owned a bike worth insuring for damage/theft, I just make sure I'm covered against third party stuff and personal injury for myself.

I've always thought of WD-40 as a penetrating oil, is there stuff you'd use a different type/brand for?

Bolts that are stuck. I've had better success with an actual penetrating oil than WD40. Particularly when they were upside down.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
WD40 is actually not a penetrating oil, it's a water dispersant.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I basically just use WD-40 for cleaning off grime and protecting bare metal temporarily. If you need oil, use oil. If you need grease, use grease. Etc.

I did actually use WD-40 inside an ignition switch for its intended purpose recently, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pope Mobile posted:

I don't really care about theft. While I am attached to my bike, I know I'll get reimbursed for more than it's worth along with any gear that's stolen.

Yup.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Of all the errands I remembered to do when I had a car yesterday (hired it for a job interview), naturally stopping at the auto supply store on the other side of town for grease, penetrating oil, and ED-40 was the one thing I forgot :doh: Parts are slowly trickling by post for the big maintenance session I'm going to do, although I'm still waiting on the main ones (tyres, sprockets and chain).

In the meantime, I scored an old 11L plastic motorbike tank at the tip yesterday morning. I liked the idea of adding the extra tank to the postie (I think they've got a range of about 130kms on the stock one alone otherwise) but had decided I'd probably skip it, since I don't think I'll get the opportunity to do many long trips on it... for $20 I couldn't say no though :v: Did have to dig around for a cap and petcock at the wreckers (petcock was a new part so the two actually wound up costing a little more than I paid for the tank itself), but still well under the $120 that they seem to start at on eBay.

It's got a fair bit of dirt and a few spiderwebs inside from sitting out in the elements, what's the best way to clean it out? I'm seeing stuff about chucking a bunch of screws/nuts/bolts in with some acetone and shaking it around, although I'm a little concerned about scratching up the inside of it (or does that not matter)?

As far as fitting it:

The front of it does rest nicely on the frame when it's level, in such a way that the handlebars don't hit it when turning. Unfortunately if I try to tilt it to follow the tube down along its entire length, it does mess with the handlebars, and also touches the exhaust.

As for the back, it will just rest on the lip of the internal gas tank. Not intended to be load-bearing, but does help for balance. Does restrict how much the seat will lift up on its hinge to access the stock gas tank, but not by enough to make filling it too onerous. Was thinking of putting a PVC tube with some assorted tools/spares down inside the gap.

Downside is that while the frame does have tank mounting brackets built into it, they don't line up well with those of this tank. What's the easiest way to make an adapter? I was thinking of using cardboard to make a template and figure out the measurements I need, then getting some metal about the thickness of the tank's existing mounts and having someone with a drill press punch out holes for bolts on either end. It's mostly for stability and to keep the tank from bouncing up rather than to hold it up, as the tank would be resting most of its weight on the frame... was thinking I'd probably get some scraps of wood and cut them to fit the gap between the frame and tank for added load-bearing stability (and having all that random useless space below me just kinda irks me for some reason).

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 18, 2015

INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!
I ended up using some old kayak backband straps (flexible plastic), a little hardware, and some luck for the front of mine, and then the back was a 2" muffler clamp with a bar welded across it as a support. The tank just rests on the rear support, but you do have to tie it down to something to keep it tensed against the mount.

http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/reply/51456/Long-Range-Tank-tutorial

This is the most helpful thread I've found, although I opted for a much simpler front mount made from poo poo I had in the shed.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

In today's fun repair news, I went to swap the new 6V headlight bulb that came in the mail this week in... aaaand it turns out the socket for the 12V bulb he had in there is also different. I had initially assumed the PO put the 12V bulb in there out of blind ignorance because it also fit, but since he went through the trouble of replacing it with a different socket to accommodate it, it appears to have been a calculated dumb move instead. Fortunately there are a couple of other small parts I forgot to put on my last order, so I emailed the shop that hooked me up last time to see if he had any 6V sockets in inventory. I could also try the wrecker in town, but IDK how many pre-91 bikes they'd have parts off of, plus they're 15kms north of me and I kinda want a functioning headlight before I get out on the road with this thing.

INTERNETRACECAR posted:

I ended up using some old kayak backband straps (flexible plastic), a little hardware, and some luck for the front of mine, and then the back was a 2" muffler clamp with a bar welded across it as a support. The tank just rests on the rear support, but you do have to tie it down to something to keep it tensed against the mount.

http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/reply/51456/Long-Range-Tank-tutorial

This is the most helpful thread I've found, although I opted for a much simpler front mount made from poo poo I had in the shed.

That is awesome and super helpful, thanks! I was initially balking at the idea of working with aluminium, but I saw that he was able to use a reciprocating saw to do it, which I just happen to have picked up earlier this week for another project.

I can't tell from your picture (or his), but how close to the exhaust is that bottom corner of the tank? If I did it my original way (with the fin part of the tank resting lightly on the lip of the stock tank) it'd be nowhere near the exhaust, but you guys' look really close, and I wouldn't necessarily mind getting it lower and not having to worry about making that internal support brace out of wood or whatever.

Also, do you have racks for the panniers in the picture, or are they OK just hanging against the exhaust shield? I've got a pair of waterproof Ortlieb bags I really like, would be nice to supplement the cargo rack with 'em. There's an eBay seller who has the stock postie pannier racks that I've been thinking about, but again, not sure I'll be doing much loaded-up touring on the little guy, so trying not to get too much invested in farkles.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What's the current tire of choice for heavy sport bikes around here? Getting new shoes for the ZRX and I want something great in the rain since El Niño season might be coming.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

PR4s have a steel banded variety for heavier bikes.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shimrod posted:

PR4s have a steel banded variety for heavier bikes.

Or fatter goons.

They're also pretty good in the rain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

What's the current tire of choice for heavy sport bikes around here? Getting new shoes for the ZRX and I want something great in the rain since El Niño season might be coming.

Just get ordinary PR3's/PR4's, mine barely wore at all before I sold the bike and I did a lot of miles on it. The touring rear is only really a good idea if you have a truly gigantic bike or you plan on riding around everywhere with a passenger and luggage, it sacrifices a lot of grip for the sake of being super hard wearing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The regular PR2s on my Ulysses lasted for like 10,000 miles before I wrecked the rear on a patch of rusty staples and the PR3s another 10k before I sold the bike wearing them. I told the guy how many miles were on those tires and he looked at me like I'm an idiot.

"They only show a couple thousand miles"

"Bro I put those on before I left for Texas and then I took them to Reno too"

Granted, the Uly is lighter than your typical heavy sport bike, but those tires truly wear like iron. They even kept traction on terrifying-when-wet Texas roads.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, there's my next big spend on the ZZR

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Dunno what magic everyone does to get 10k miles out of a rear tire but send some my way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pilot Road magic, get you some.

I've never worn out a Pilot Road, this one was at 10,000ish:

The Metzelers I have now probably will last about 8k.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 19, 2015

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I did.

watch your pressures, kids. You might only get a nominal amount of miles out of them. (I think mine did about 11k miles)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Dunno what magic everyone does to get 10k miles out of a rear tire but send some my way.

I run them on a FZ6 and only manage 8k and I'm smooth on the throttle. I think they're all liars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've got over 10,000 on my pirelli angel gt rear with my fz6. Plenty of tread left.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

It's all about how you ride, I have a set of PR4s on my ZZR with 26,000kms on them and still enough tread for another 5000 or so, I'll probably get roughly the same from my ZX10R.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you're getting 30,000km's out of PR4's on a zx10 there's something wrong somewhere. Are you sure your throttle isn't sticking shut or something?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Guess I'm just a badass rider then I dunno

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

Guess I'm just a badass rider then I dunno

It's ok, you're not. I got the same on my PR4 rear with the same bike.

I think it's more likely that goons are letting the drat things go past the wear bar and right down to the cords.

e:

Shimrod posted:

It's all about how you ride, I have a set of PR4s on my ZZR with 26,000kms on them and still enough tread for another 5000 or so, I'll probably get roughly the same from my ZX10R.

Full disclosure:
-I don't do burnouts and don't use my rear brake for much other than settling the rear end end of the bike when I'm braking hard on the front.
-Normally I shift around 6k because noise and there's no real reason to be at 13k on city streets.
-I also don't launch that often, and when I do decide to haul rear end it's usually rolling on in second to get around something dumb on a highway.

The tires are good, but god drat, are you 110lbs with gear and running max psi or something?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 20, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think he's lying.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Or fatter goons.

They're also pretty good in the rain.

I am 170 right now, rear end. t:mad:

(PRs it will be! Thanks for the good advice everyone!)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
so you're 5'4"?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

so you're 5'4"?

:thurman:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

so you're 5'4"?

Would it make riding the drz more impressive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KARMA! posted:

I did.

watch your pressures, kids. You might only get a nominal amount of miles out of them. (I think mine did about 11k miles)

This man speaks the truth. A whole season of riding and they were fine.
A few hundred miles of commuting the following year and I had loving flat spotted them. I forgot to check the pressure after the weather chilled out for a bit.
I also did a burnout in dead stop traffic because reasons. So that might have contributed to it.