Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you average 30mpg driving 12k miles a year the $0.30 difference between premium and regular is ~120 bucks. Either you're wasting 120 bucks a year for no benefit (for many cars) or you're trying to save an insignificant amount of money by potentially ruining your engine, having it run poorly or run less efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

If you average 30mpg driving 12k miles a year the $0.30 difference between premium and regular is ~120 bucks. Either you're wasting 120 bucks a year for no benefit (for many cars) or you're trying to save an insignificant amount of money by potentially ruining your engine, having it run poorly or run less efficiently.

If you drive to work and errands in any remotely modern automobile with fuel injection, cylinder, valve design, electronic timing control, and knock detection all exquisitely designed to avoid detonation under an enormous range of variables including temperature, humidity, gasoline quality/ethanol content/additives, and engine wear, you are wasting your money. If you drive some kind of race tuned car then you might need high octane gasoline.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:siren: AI IS LEAKINGGGGGGGGG :siren:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

it's impossible for me to read these boring car words without my eyeballs falling out of my face into my soup

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
soup is good with money, good job psl!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pig slut lisa posted:

it's impossible for me to read these boring car words without my eyeballs falling out of my face into my soup

Good with money: Be Kate Capshaw and be not great at acting, but marry Spielberg anyway and be set for life with his $3.6B fortune

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If you drive to work and errands in any remotely modern automobile with fuel injection, cylinder, valve design, electronic timing control, and knock detection all exquisitely designed to avoid detonation under an enormous range of variables including temperature, humidity, gasoline quality/ethanol content/additives, and engine wear, you are wasting your money. If you drive some kind of race tuned car then you might need high octane gasoline.

My bmw could take 89 when I had an unleaded one but I risked voiding the warranty if I used lower octane. There was a scandal here where all the gas was 85 regardless of what you purchased and it really hosed my engine up. Even still the efficiency suffered at 89 and you ended up paying more in the long run. Just use the octane the makers tell you to and call it a day.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Noticed my ecoboost engine gets about 1.8MPG better on 91 octane over 87 over a 500+ gallon sample size. Shocking because that shouldn't happen. I guess it is retarding timing on 87.

GWM: plotting out the point on the price curve where that percentage increase in cost is outweighed by the increase in gas mileage.

BWM: commuting 35 miles in an F-150.

BWM: TRUCK EQUITY

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ShadowHawk posted:

To be clear, we're not a gay couple by any definition (I'm a man and my girlfriend is a woman, neither transgendered). I had indeed known the company promised this benefit to make things right for those who couldn't be legally married, but it never occurred to me they'd benefit those who just didn't want to.

Well it's also meant for common law marriage couples who never got a license, etc as well. So, do you consider yourself in a relationship equivalent to marriage? Congratulations, you're bad with money in a domestic partnership.

I'm not saying that it's wrong for you to use it, I'm just saying that it's not some secret and magical clause of your insurance.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Unless you have equity in a truck with nuts and breasts then you aren't a man.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Desuwa posted:

You misunderstand what is happening. You have a car that's designed for 93 (hits higher compression) but can adapt down to lower octanes to avoid knocking. It's not that it produces more power with 93 but that your engine deliberately cripples itself to avoid being damaged by 87/89. You even mentioned you had a performance car that's designed to use higher octane fuel. Everyone in the thread has said there's no benefit to using a higher octane than what your car is designed to use.

Owners Manual posted:

Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. 93 will improve performance.

You're sitting here trying to say that it doesn't produce more power with 93 octane, when officially it makes 8 more hp with 93 octane. That's from the manufacture and backed up by numerous dynos.

People in this thread are telling me that I'm an idiot for knowing that my car can take 87 and 93. I never asserted that it made sense to put 93 in your 2002 Altima, I just said that pick the octane of fuel based on price and that I have a perfectly valid reason for doing so (it makes more power).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
How often do you street race Brianna Wu to make that extra 8 hp worth it? The manual says 87 recommended and 8 hp isn't gonna help you jump off the line that much

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

You're sitting here trying to say that it doesn't produce more power with 93 octane, when officially it makes 8 more hp with 93 octane. That's from the manufacture and backed up by numerous dynos.

People in this thread are telling me that I'm an idiot for knowing that my car can take 87 and 93. I never asserted that it made sense to put 93 in your 2002 Altima, I just said that pick the octane of fuel based on price and that I have a perfectly valid reason for doing so (it makes more power).

People in this thread are telling you you're an idiot because you are an idiot.

Consider the engine power on 93 octane as the baseline for your car. That is the optimum fuel for your car. You will get better performance using 93 in your car BECAUSE IT WAS loving DESIGNED FOR IT.

If your stupid loving shitbox is only designed for regular gas, you won't get anything extra from using premium.

Jesus Christ you are obtuse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I fill my car with Jet-A for performance reasons. :madmax:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:gas:

e: this worthless thread I mean, not "gasoline"

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

NancyPants posted:

People in this thread are telling you you're an idiot because you are an idiot.

Consider the engine power on 93 octane as the baseline for your car. That is the optimum fuel for your car. You will get better performance using 93 in your car BECAUSE IT WAS loving DESIGNED FOR IT.

If your stupid loving shitbox is only designed for regular gas, you won't get anything extra from using premium.

Jesus Christ you are obtuse.

Well, people did jump all over his original comment without figuring out what car he drove. It was never stated. Turns out he was totally right but got called an idiot.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KS posted:

Well, people did jump all over his original comment without figuring out what car he drove. It was never stated. Turns out he was totally right but got called an idiot.

Well he's not but clearly this basic life knowledge is arcane outside of AI.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm legitimately confused as to who won gas wars. Am I supposed to put 93 octane in my prius?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm legitimately confused as to who won gas wars. Am I supposed to put 93 octane in my prius?

I believe that the different octanes basically explode in the piston chambers at different speeds, and engines are designed with that in mind. So you should use whatever kind of gas your car manual recommends, because it was designed to work with the timing of that explosion.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
http://priuschat.com/threads/why-premium-is-wasted-in-a-prius.134969/

If you're street racing yes

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
<deleted>

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 20, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Cool thinly veiled humblebrag

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Barry posted:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Barry posted:

Ehh I'll delete it if it comes off that way.

Anyway the point of the story is you need to establish credit history. Simply not having bad history isn't good enough.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Humblebrag or not, that's a bizarre story. I thought banks gave credit out to anyone who wanted it nowadays. When I got my limit raised to10k that was more than half my annual income. Maybe they're more inclined to lend to young people since they assume we have parents to bail us out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Barry posted:

I disagree.

ShadowHawk posted:

Funny you should mention that, this week's other bad with money story also stars me.

I am 31 years old, and up until a few weeks ago I never had a credit card. I decided to avoid them in college as it felt a bit scammy and I saw a lot of students being tricked by hidden fees and the like, plus i couldn't be sure I wouldn't fall to temptation and end up with a balance as I had no income other than inconsistent transfers from parents.

At some point later I decided that i didn't really want to be the kind of person that borrowed money, so I never felt a pressing need. I also didn't really believe in the whole standard dream of owning a home, preferring apartment living instead.

Fast forward to today and I've got a fantastic job (~150k this year, will go up as more retention incentives kick in and I start getting bonuses/promotions). Now I want to build a large home in Silicon Valley and rent out my extra bedrooms. But I still never took on any debt, and after doing the tax math I've realized I'll want a mortgage in a few years. Credit Karma gave me poor scores due to a completely thin history -- the only things there were 2 very small student loans (about 1-2k) that were paid or "missing data" from long ago.

This means I'm in for a complete slog of building credit history. I don't need a car or a personal loan, so financing those things would be purely a credit-score-building exercise. I looked at Credit Karma sponsors and applied to the only card they thought I could get.

Capital One gave me a credit limit of...300 dollars. They told me if I make my payments on time I can get that increased to 500 dollars after 5 months. My utility bills alone don't fit in that (I have a 5-bedroom home and rent out 4 of the rooms).

I went to rent a car while on vacation and ran into trouble because they couldn't preauth the 100 dollar gas contingency since the 256 dollar rental fee was on the card -- I tried to use my debit card and this prompted a credit check which came back as "DO NOT RENT". I only managed to get the rental by putting the contingency preauth on my corporate card.

Same age and I would be in the same predicament as I had the exact same mentality (well, I make dog doo and have no plans to buy a house anytime soon), but my GWM parents made me get a credit card at 18, which I only used occasionally and treated as a debit card that had to be paid off every month. I had no student loans or anything but wound up with a credit score in the low 800s, which has been really handy for using my grad school tuition (have to pay out of pocket) to churn airline miles.

Actually, that's not entirely true: in my own BWM/Credit Score move I once took out a Discover card in college because it got me a voucher for a local pizza buffet (as low rent as it sounds) for free. No annual fee and I never used it once, they eventually cancelled it for inactivity. Was way before I was worried about a credit score or anything like that so had zero impact on my life, but I still look back and wince.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saeku posted:

Humblebrag or not, that's a bizarre story. I thought banks gave credit out to anyone who wanted it nowadays. When I got my limit raised to10k that was more than half my annual income. Maybe they're more inclined to lend to young people since they assume we have parents to bail us out.

I moved to the US a few years ago, and I couldn't get a credit card for more than a grand until a few months ago, even with my credit union trying to help. Bad credit is easier to work with than no credit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have a borderline retarded uncle who wanted to rage quit his credit union. I had to talk him down because at age 55 he had no credit at all, neither good nor bad. A complete blank slate. So no credit, no job, and very few teeth (no ShadowHawk in his life) meant he was going to have a fantastic time opening a new checking account elsewhere.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

GBS has a relevant thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752301

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's amazing. If you even open an account that can sell short, forget actually doing it, you get huge warnings that you could lose more than the initial value of the shares. I think the broker has to establish that you're a sufficiently sophisticated investor to let you take short positions, but I'm sure his amateur day-trading history and reading of the Motley Fool forums put him in the clear.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Stop posting about gasoline quality you nerds, this is gold.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have a borderline retarded uncle who wanted to rage quit his credit union. I had to talk him down because at age 55 he had no credit at all, neither good nor bad. A complete blank slate. So no credit, no job, and very few teeth (no ShadowHawk in his life) meant he was going to have a fantastic time opening a new checking account elsewhere.

Why did he want to leave his CU, and how did he get that far without any credit history. Is "borderline retarded" literal and he's always had family take care of his finances or something?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You don't need any credit history to open a checking account.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You don't need any credit history to open a checking account.

Don't some institutions use the CHEX system (or whatever) that looks at some FICO components?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it definitely happens. Citi does a soft pull, for example, and many others use Chexsystems that tracks things like writing bad checks (but not the full FICO debt ratio and whatnot mix).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Actually, that's not entirely true: in my own BWM/Credit Score move I once took out a Discover card in college because it got me a voucher for a local pizza buffet (as low rent as it sounds) for free. No annual fee and I never used it once, they eventually cancelled it for inactivity. Was way before I was worried about a credit score or anything like that so had zero impact on my life, but I still look back and wince.

My personal BWM story: I filled out an application for a Discover card in exchange for a voucher for a free two-piece and biscuit meal from the local Church's Chicken. Cheap-rear end starving college-going me figured my application would get round-binned as soon as someone laid eyes on it. Which explains why I was shocked when a shiny new credit card with a $1000 limit and 17% APR :shepspends:

So of course, I end up racking up nickle and dime charges (going out to eat, getting gas, covering a bill or two here and there) and only make minimum payments. Long story short, $1500 in credit grew into a $2000+ debt that I'm still dealing with years later. If I could go back in time, I'd give myself a swift kick to the dick and then tell myself not to go make some ramen noodles (and get laid more).

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it definitely happens. Citi does a soft pull, for example, and many others use Chexsystems that tracks things like writing bad checks (but not the full FICO debt ratio and whatnot mix).

Yep. Most banks pull your checking background through Chexsystems. It's usually easier for people with a checkered (ha) checking history to open an account at their local credit union, since those don't use Chexsystems.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Stop posting about gasoline quality you nerds, this is gold.

This is evidence that there are people out there who think they know how to beat the market. Seriously though selling short with unlimited potential loss? The one reprieve is that if he can get the net balance up to $25k he won't get a margin call. :yarg:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Devian666 posted:

This is evidence that there are people out there who think they know how to beat the market. Seriously though selling short with unlimited potential loss? The one reprieve is that if he can get the net balance up to $25k he won't get a margin call. :yarg:

Lots of people sell short and think they can beat the market, its called wall street.

On the other hand, that guy shorted the stock shortly before a takeover offer was announced :lol:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
After it had announced it was basically shutting down last Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

After it had announced it was basically shutting down last Friday

:five: